Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Deepak Chopra

quotes:
    http://www.goodreads.com/author/quot....Deepak_Chopra
    http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/au...ak_chopra.html

"According to Vedanta, there are only two symptoms of enlightenment, just two indications that a transformation is taking place within you toward a higher consciousness. The first symptom is that you stop worrying. Things don't bother you anymore. You become light-hearted and full of joy. The second symptom is that you encounter more and more meaningful coincidences in your life, more and more synchronicities. And this accelerates to the point where you actually experience the miraculous."

"According to this law [the law of Dharma], you have a unique talent and a unique way of expressing it. There is something that you can do better than anyone else in the whole world--and for every unique talent and unique expression of that talent, there are also unique needs. When these needs are matched with the creative expression of your talent, that is the spark that creates affluence. Expressing your talents to fulfill needs creates unlimited wealth and abundance."

"The worst curse to befall anyone is stagnation, a banal existence, the quiet desperation that comes out of a need for conformity."

"There are very few good examples of effective, nurturing leadership that unlocks people's potential or even enthusiasm."

"Self-awareness is not just relaxation and not just meditation. It must combine relaxation with activity and dynamism. Technology can aid that."

"Happiness for a reason is just another form of misery because reason can be taken away from us at any time."

"Success comes when people act together; failure tends to happen alone."

"To acquire true self power you have to feel beneath no one, be immune to criticism and be fearless."
    "The most creative act you will ever undertake is the act of creating yourself."
    "What keeps life fascinating is the constant creativity of the soul."

"Love doesn't need reason. It speaks from the irrational wisdom of the heart."

"You must find the place inside yourself where nothing is impossible."

"When you struggle with your partner, you are struggling with yourself. Every fault you see in them touches a denied weakness in yourself."

Last edited by silke; 10-13-2018 at 07:39 AM. Reason: updated links
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's always seemed like an ENTj to me.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jewels View Post
    He's always seemed like an ENTj to me.
    I can definitely see this; it was my first reaction as well. I think it is a good option for him.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Compared to Eckhart Tolle, he seems much more Ni, yes? (And how he explains his views). I prefer Tolle > Deepak, but maybe it's just because he addresses things in a more direct way imo.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't really know much about Chopra, but I like him from what I've seen here. He seems very intelligent and confident.

Under cerulean skies...

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for some reason I feel skeptical about him... I'm not sure what it is about him... maybe because he presents things like he's an expert? or maybe it's that when I see him he doesn't seem very able to let people be... like maybe he has some idea about how people or things "should" be... and I don't know... I wonder if I'd feel comfortable around him...

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm listening to Balancing Your Body Type. It's interesting. He's saying that weight imbalances (being under or over weight) are caused by not enjoying food. He said that if you follow these guidelines, you'll never have a weight problem:

1.) Always eat while sitting, preferably at a table.
    2.) Don't do anything else while you eat, such as talk on the phone, read the paper, watch TV, drive, listen to music, etc.
    3.) Eat when the stomach is empty (no remnants from previously eaten meals in the stomach). This takes about 4 hours on average, depending on ones metabolism.
    4.) Do not put food into your mouth until the previous bite is in the stomach.
    5.) Don't talk with your mouthful.

He also says that the first helping of food should be equal to two cupped handfuls of food, and if you're still hungry after that, wait five minutes before getting a second helping.
    SEE

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    I'm listening to Balancing Your Body Type. It's interesting. He's saying that weight imbalances (being under or over weight) are caused by not enjoying food. He said that if you follow these guidelines, you'll never have a weight problem:

2.) Don't do anything else while you eat, such as talk on the phone, read the paper, watch TV, drive, listen to music, etc.
    3.) Eat when the stomach is empty (no remnants from previously eaten meals in the stomach). This takes about 4 hours on average, depending on ones metabolism.

He also says that the first helping of food should be equal to two cupped handfuls of food, and if you're still hungry after that, wait five minutes before getting a second helping.
    Does he give you instructions on how to use the potty, er, toilet, as well?
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He also suggests swishing sesame seed oil in your mouth (and then spitting it out and rinsing with water) to heighten your sense of taste.
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UDP View Post
    Does he give you instructions on how to use the potty, er, toilet, as well?
    No idea. I'm only 40 minutes into it.
    SEE

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

God! Is he anal enough!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you've got to be kidding me! i have his book on spiritual parenting. i like the concepts in it but not the format or "instructions" for delivering the concepts to your children, day by day. i believe they need to show up naturally in our daily lives to be relevant as the children show interest...

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He also says that bitter, pungent, and astringent foods can increase the body's metabolism 25%.
    SEE

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    but good god, following a list of instructions about everything like that would drive me mad.
    me too. i'm the same when it comes to other "si" things i believe. sleep when you're tired. eat when you're hungry. wakeup when you wakeup.

the only kinds of thngs i have to follow instructions on are when i'm putting something together, mechanical or electrical, etc... the rest has got to flow in it's own way, it's own time...

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bbut good god, following a list of instructions about everything like that would drive me mad.
    I really like them! I'm going to give it a shot. I'm not sure if I've ever followed all of those guidelines for a complete meal in my entire life.
    SEE

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    I really like them! I'm going to give it a shot. I'm not sure if I've ever followed all of those guidelines for a complete meal in my entire life.
    good luck

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm having a hard time seeing the or the valuing.

Especially regarding the movement away from Darwinian "Survival of the fiercest" to "Survival of the wisest".

Can someone point out where they're seeing these elements in him?

I had played around with INFp possibly, but I don't see the valuing in him.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was worried he might be LSI. What if I don't like things about LSI? Because I don't like Dr. Phil! (or at least I don't think, maybe I like to say I don't like Dr. Phil while not really caring)...

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't mind him in this video.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oyCwRsB_xf0

Though I do find CNN vastly annoying... I don't know why. I feel like it's all about building up the drama and emotional tide, just so people will stay on the channel, not because they actually care or whatever.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't mind him in this video.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oyCwRsB_xf0
    well, i know i like him and what he saying better when it's purely spiritual, not health related. i don't read or get into those books of his.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Si-ESFj

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I disagree with the Si > Ni idea. When I look back on the Si types I've known (especially the Si creative types), I can't think of a single one that wouldn't say that his approach is over complicating things that should be simple and straightforward.

He's taking a spiritual approach to matters that we traditionally think of as being Si.
    SEE

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had thought of LSE as a possibility, but I think everything that people are wanting to attach to him that is Si related is mostly due to the philosophy he supports, which is absolutely no way to type someone. LIE makes a good deal of sense to me personally; he actually reminds me somewhat of Expat.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deepak Chopra quotes:

The physical world, including our bodies, is a response of the observer. We create our bodies as we create the experience of our world.

We are not victims of aging, sickness and death. These are part of scenery, not the seer, who is immune to any form of change. This seer is the spirit, the expression of eternal being.

You can free yourself from aging by reinterpreting your body and by grasping the link between belief and biology.

Happiness is a continuation of happenings which are not resisted.

To think is to practice brain chemistry.

You and I are essentially infinite choice-makers. In every moment of our existence, we are in that field of all possibilities where we have access to an infinity of choices.

Every person is a God in embryo. Its only desire is to be born.

If you and I are having a single thought of violence or hatred against anyone in the world at this moment, we are contributing to the wounding of the world.

In the midst of movement and chaos, keep stillness inside of you.

It is the nature of babies to be in bliss.

Nothing is more important than reconnecting with your bliss. Nothing is as rich. Nothing is more real.

Our thinking and our behaviour are always in anticipation of a response. It is therefore fear-based.

The less you open your heart to others, the more your heart suffers.

The way you think, the way you behave, the way you eat, can influence your life by 30 to 50 years.

There are no extra pieces in the universe. Everyone is here because he or she has a place to fill, and every piece must fit itself into the big jigsaw puzzle.

There is always one moment in childhood when the door opens and lets the future in.

We're living in a time when the world has suddenly discovered India because it's run out of raw material for its imagination. The raw materials for imagination are inexhaustible here.
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't have an opinion before I posted this topic, but having listened to a complete audio book, at this point I'm somewhat confident that he's LIE.
    SEE

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deepak Chopra quotes:

The physical world, including our bodies, is a response of the observer. We create our bodies as we create the experience of our world.

We are not victims of aging, sickness and death. These are part of scenery, not the seer, who is immune to any form of change. This seer is the spirit, the expression of eternal being.

You can free yourself from aging by reinterpreting your body and by grasping the link between belief and biology.

Happiness is a continuation of happenings which are not resisted.

To think is to practice brain chemistry.

You and I are essentially infinite choice-makers. In every moment of our existence, we are in that field of all possibilities where we have access to an infinity of choices.

Every person is a God in embryo. Its only desire is to be born.

If you and I are having a single thought of violence or hatred against anyone in the world at this moment, we are contributing to the wounding of the world.

In the midst of movement and chaos, keep stillness inside of you.

It is the nature of babies to be in bliss.

Nothing is more important than reconnecting with your bliss. Nothing is as rich. Nothing is more real.

Our thinking and our behaviour are always in anticipation of a response. It is therefore fear-based.

The less you open your heart to others, the more your heart suffers.

The way you think, the way you behave, the way you eat, can influence your life by 30 to 50 years.

There are no extra pieces in the universe. Everyone is here because he or she has a place to fill, and every piece must fit itself into the big jigsaw puzzle.

There is always one moment in childhood when the door opens and lets the future in.

We're living in a time when the world has suddenly discovered India because it's run out of raw material for its imagination. The raw materials for imagination are inexhaustible here.
    The bold is definitely > , though most are -constructed. I think that much of what he seems to be saying in those quotes is vague and quite insubstantial of any real meaningful content or truth. To each their own though.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    The bold is definitely > , though most are -constructed.
    I agree.

I think that much of what he seems to be saying in those quotes is vague and quite insubstantial of any real meaningful content or truth. To each their own though.
    Do you think this would suggest that he's not Ti valuing?
    SEE

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you think this would suggest that he's not Ti valuing?
    I'm not seeing the Ti or Te in those statements. He is mostly a wall of Ni written to sound like fortune cookies. He seems rather off from L. Ron Hubbard, who is a LIE spiritual guru.

L. Ron Hubbard Talks of Scientology

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by marooned; 07-28-2008 at 10:51 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for some reason I feel skeptical about him... I'm not sure what it is about him... maybe because he presents things like he's an expert? or maybe it's that when I see him he doesn't seem very able to let people be... like maybe he has some idea about how people or things "should" be... and I don't know... I wonder if I'd feel comfortable around him...
    He makes me uncomfortable too.
    EII 4w5

so/sx (?)

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think his beliefs are a good way to type him; they are an amalgamation or essential combination of many religious systems, and are mostly attributable, or at least in line with, the New Thought movement.

I think a better way to type him would be to look at how he explains his ideas. If you watch the video Loki posted, you can notice right away that, when he tries to explain "God," instead of "essentializing," so to speak, the idea of God, or attempting to encapsulate the idea in order to imply its separate parts, he gives examples of what is included in the idea of God, what some of the "parts" of this idea of God are, in order to set up a polarity that demonstrates the greater nature: "...that includes the divine and the diabolical; the sacred and the prophane" rather than, perhaps "...that includes the whole range of human behaviors." This, to me, says Se>Ne. I know, minor, but it's something.

Also, when Chopra says "the deeper question," he draws attention away from the explanation of the idea of "God," its definition, and the role it played, and turns the focus instead to the causation behind the events; this makes me think a preference for Ni>Ne.

Again it's not much, but it's something.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the two audio books I've listened to so far, there's a MUCH larger emphasis on explaining concepts with science (particularly biology and quantum physics) than any other New Thought author I've read/listened to (there are probably at least half dozen others). I'd say 70% of his approach is from a scientific perspective (even if some of the concepts he's discussing aren't widely accepted in the scientific community).
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was getting at logical over ethical, primarily. The Ni > Si is quite clear as well, imo. (That is, based on the audio books... I haven't actually watched any of the videos tbh )
    SEE

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh well then I agree about logical at least.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a large focus on offering practical solutions as well. "Here's something you can do for this, here's something you can do for that."
    SEE

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a large focus on offering practical solutions as well. "Here's something you can do for this, here's something you can do for that."
    Are they practical or just common sense? He does not seem very helpful or nouvelle with his advice. It seems to be just vague rambling without any real practical substance. I hate to sound redundant, but it sounds mostly like fortune cookie advice. It is not an issue of Ti vs. Te, but what appears to be an issue of scientific naturalism vs. pseudo-scientific mysticism. But whatever floats your boat.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    Are they practical or just common sense? He does not seem very helpful or nouvelle with his advice. It seems to be just vague rambling without any real practical substance. I hate to sound redundant, but it sounds mostly like fortune cookie advice.
    Read one of his books and get back to me.

It is not an issue of Ti vs. Te, but what appears to be an issue of scientific naturalism vs. pseudo-scientific mysticism. But whatever floats your boat.
    New Thought... yes, it's been called things along those lines before.

My point, however, is that of all of the different "flavors" that I've seen it come in (in terms of authors), his is the most focused on science (even if some of the concepts he's discussing aren't widely accepted in the scientific community) and practical advice (as in, things you can do right now to accomplish specific objectives).
    SEE

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Read one of his books and get back to me.
    That seems like it would be a waste of my valuable time. There are things I would rather do with my time than confirm previously held suspicions.

New Thought... yes, it's been called things along those lines before.

My point, however, is that of all of the different "flavors" that I've seen it come in (in terms of authors), his is the most focused on science (even if some of the concepts he's discussing aren't widely accepted in the scientific community) and practical advice (as in, things you can do right now to accomplish specific objectives).
    What are some notable examples?

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of other authors?
    SEE

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of other authors?
    From him.

You do have the below, but I'm sure I could find this out from a nutritionist.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast