Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever want to take off?

Creepy-

Default Ever want to take off?

I mean: pack a suitcase of necessities and special things, tie up some loose ends, and just leave it all behind for a while to see/experience the world?

When I finally finish school, I am leaving the US to live/work/LIVE in a totally new country/culture. Any other deltas dream of something like this? Maybe more importantly, did you go for it?

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyday of my life. I've seriously contemplated doing it multiple times. Unfortunately when you're poor, you don't have many options.

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    Everyday of my life. I've seriously contemplated doing it multiple times. Unfortunately when you're poor, you don't have many options.
    Sure you do. Google "work in [country of your choice]" and see what comes up... you might be surprised (I was!). And if it's a country of English-speaking people or you're fluent in whatever language they use, all the better.

Where would you like to go, Jessica?

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a very STRONG desire of mine. I want to break away and experience new things. *sigh* I am currently contemplating it. We'll see what happens. I have to believe that I'll be able to make it happen one way or another, otherwise the future looks very bleak.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyday of my life.
    Just, you know, for extra emphasis:

EVERY.DAY.OF.MY.LIFE.

Quote Originally Posted by songofsappho View Post
    Sure you do. Google "work in [country of your choice]" and see what comes up... you might be surprised (I was!). And if it's a country of English-speaking people or you're fluent in whatever language they use, all the better.

You rock.
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

- Voltaire

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If i can't even manage to make ends meet here, I don't know how i'd do it somewhere else, haha. I don't know where i'd like to go. No place really stands out as particularly interesting to me. I have a feeling i'd get wherever it was I really wanted to be only to want to pick up and go somewhere else. And this, let me tell you, sucks. I stay in my current situation only because I know my wants and desires change daily.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That sort of seems to be the irrational delta creedo. Numerous delta irrationals have expressed this to me.

I have a little urge to explore myself - I'd really like to travel for a few years and learn about the world, if I could. But it doesn't seem to be quite the same thing as ISTps and ENFps.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, that's what I did when I was about 18. I finished school, packed my backpack and moved to Scotland to go to uni. I took 2 gap years (originally meant to be just 1), but now i'm back in the game. I want to finish my course, get some experience in my field and move again. I can't be bothered to learn another foreign language though, I'm too lazy
    SLI

Creepy-

Wow - very passionate responses. I guess this may be an ISTp thing after all, huh? I'm really glad to know I'm not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirena View Post
    This is a very STRONG desire of mine. I want to break away and experience new things. *sigh* I am currently contemplating it. We'll see what happens. I have to believe that I'll be able to make it happen one way or another, otherwise the future looks very bleak.
    Just go for it. If you devote one or two years at least, you will at least have satisfied the urge and at most have changed - improved! - your life for the better. What an adventure!

Quote Originally Posted by LokiVanguard View Post
    Just, you know, for extra emphasis:

EVERY.DAY.OF.MY.LIFE.

You rock.
    Haha, me too. Every day.

And thank you

If i can't even manage to make ends meet here, I don't know how i'd do it somewhere else, haha. I don't know where i'd like to go. No place really stands out as particularly interesting to me. I have a feeling i'd get wherever it was I really wanted to be only to want to pick up and go somewhere else. And this, let me tell you, sucks. I stay in my current situation only because I know my wants and desires change daily.
    Have a little faith... in the universe, in your own industriousness... I'm sure you'd make it just fine so long as you find a good place with good people.

Quote Originally Posted by UDP View Post
    That sort of seems to be the irrational delta creedo. Numerous delta irrationals have expressed this to me.

I have a little urge to explore myself - I'd really like to travel for a few years and learn about the world, if I could. But it doesn't seem to be quite the same thing as ISTps and ENFps.
    Yes... it is irrational in so many ways. But that's what makes it "right!"

Quote Originally Posted by msq View Post
    Well, that's what I did when I was about 18. I finished school, packed my backpack and moved to Scotland to go to uni. I took 2 gap years (originally meant to be just 1), but now i'm back in the game. I want to finish my course, get some experience in my field and move again. I can't be bothered to learn another foreign language though, I'm too lazy
    How awesome! So you lived the dream, then. I'm sure you have loads of stories....

Alright, Deltas - where shall we go? I'm thinking the Mediterranean, perhaps.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe. All I know is that if could get paid for being a "Professional Wanderer" i'd so do it in a heart beat.

- Voltaire

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UDP View Post

I think that it's due to a disregard for the small things that might happen in a particular trip that make them assume that traveling is awesome, but I think it's more of the "escape from regular life" factor (I know I'm being very negative ). For example, you can go to Rome wanting to feel mesmerized by the sights. However, it just so happens that the sights are also a major tourist attraction where more than half of the people there are from other countries particularly asian, the locals smoke like there is no tomorrow, and if you don't know the ins and outs you'll get charged more than what you should be paying.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate going to touristy places if I'm in a foreign country. I like the dark alleys and grassy fields or just the shacks a lot better.

- Voltaire

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i did it at 20. packed up what i could fit in my car and drove 2000 miles to phx. so freeing and fun! the next years were the best, well, some of the best. i was in this great "high" and met my now husband. my sis followed after me and we were then going to travel all over the country. colorado was next, but i met my hubby, fell in love and that was all she wrote on the cross country adventure. love came first. it became the kind of thing where, no matter what we did together, we were just happy being together. so, we waited 5 years before having kids and continuing having fun together. we make life an adventure in the crazy stuff that happens with 4 kids and homeschooling them and jumping from business to business, wherever the wind takes us.

Creepy-

I hate going to touristy places if I'm in a foreign country. I like the dark alleys and grassy fields or just the shacks a lot better.
    I'm with LV - when I say I want to leave the US, I don't mean to sight-see; I mean to stay for months or years in a town/city with the people who actually live there... I want to be one of them, not a tourist.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of tourists come to my area. Why, I have no idea. They stand there and stare at buildings and take pictures. "Holy s**t guys, a skyscraper!" They make me uncomfortable.

Back on topic, I'd make the smartest bum in the entire world. I know i could make it even if poor. So what's stopping me? Who knows. What's stopping everyone else...

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I remember most fondly from the trip to Italy I did was Tuscany. The countryside was awesome and authentic, and not many tourists stopped by the road. No one there all around you, just open countryside with the wavy grass and the breeze, and looking at the vineyards.

Creepy-

So what's stopping me? Who knows. What's stopping everyone else...
    School is a major one for me at the moment - all I have left to get my Master's is finish my GRA-ship and write my thesis... otherwise, you can bet I'd leave almost immediately.

But in a few months... wow. You have no idea how excited I am by this prospect

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dbmmama View Post
    i did it at 20. packed up what i could fit in my car and drove 2000 miles to phx. so freeing and fun! the next years were the best, well, some of the best. i was in this great "high" and met my now husband. my sis followed after me and we were then going to travel all over the country. colorado was next, but i met my hubby, fell in love and that was all she wrote on the cross country adventure. love came first. it became the kind of thing where, no matter what we did together, we were just happy being together. so, we waited 5 years before having kids and continuing having fun together. we make life an adventure in the crazy stuff that happens with 4 kids and homeschooling them and jumping from business to business, wherever the wind takes us.
    That's inspiring. People who do this inspire me. I want to do it but i have this curse of over-analyzing everything. How much is gas going to cost, do i have enough clothes for the weather, how much can i spend on food on a daily basis, etc. Running numbers for everything. I hate that i do that but i guess it means i'll always be prepared.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of tourists come to my area. Why, I have no idea. They stand there and stare at buildings and take pictures. "Holy s**t guys, a skyscraper!" They make me uncomfortable.

Back on topic, I'd make the smartest bum in the entire world. I know i could make it even if poor. So what's stopping me? Who knows. What's stopping everyone else...
    Well for me it's the food, I don't wanna compete with a raccoon for a dead fish.

And sappho is right, I'd want to know the culture a lot more. My idea is "I'm here to visit YOU, YOUR culture, I want to absorb YOUR culture, not america's pre-packaged notion of what I think 'italy' or 'spain' or 'chile' is."

That's inspiring. People who do this inspire me. I want to do it but i have this curse of over-analyzing everything. How much is gas going to cost, do i have enough clothes for the weather, how much can i spend on food on a daily basis, etc. Running numbers for everything. I hate that i do that but i guess it means i'll always be prepared.

I do it too Jessica, when it comes to stuff like this. It's called the Te curse.

- Voltaire

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolutely x 100. I'm going next year I think. I'd like to stay in Italy or France for a year or so and learn to speak the language fluently.
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i tend to overanalyze too. but what got me going to do it was my uncle, whom i believe is either ESTj or ISTp. i was out here for a visit during spring break and i've always loved the desert here. we were sitting outside just drinking a beer, staring up at the stars. i told him i wish i didn't have to go back. he said, why do you have to? just don't get back on the plane. it's your life, do what the hell you want with it. at that moment, i realized i was a GROWN UP and all of my decisions became MINE. i did get back on the plane, but just to finish the semester and tie up loose ends. and then drove out here in the heat of the summer. ahh!! it's 115 and humid today! it FELT SO GOOD! it was the summer when my life began.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i tend to overanalyze too. but what got me going to do it was my uncle, whom i believe is either ESTj or ISTp. i was out here for a visit during spring break and i've always loved the desert here. we were sitting outside just drinking a beer, staring up at the stars. i told him i wish i didn't have to go back. he said, why do you have to? just don't get back on the plane. it's your life, do what the hell you want with it. at that moment, i realized i was a GROWN UP and all of my decisions became MINE. i did get back on the plane, but just to finish the semester and tie up loose ends. and then drove out here in the heat of the summer. ahh!! it's 115 and humid today! it FELT SO GOOD! it was the summer when my life began.
    That's just awesome. Really. I dream of doing this. But what about a career? Where did you stay? How long did you go without work? Was it easy? Maybe that's none of my business.

And lokiv, that's why you become vegetarian. I'd could never kill an animal for food and racoons are too much competition. Live off the berries or something. Anyone seen "Into the Wild"? Movie based on this whole situation.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's just awesome. Really. I dream of doing this. But what about a career? Where did you stay? How long did you go without work? Was it easy? Maybe that's none of my business.

And lokiv, that's why you become vegetarian. I'd could never kill an animal for food and racoons are too much competition. Live off the berries or something. Anyone seen "Into the Wild"? Movie based on this whole situation.
    well, i did have a decent enough job before leaving that i saved a bit while finishing the semester before moving. my uncle let me stay with him for a bit, but i found an apt and a job within weeks and moved out. i was very willing to sleep in my car if necessary. (that's what sis and i were going to do as we moved on) i knew things would work out somehow. and like you said in another post, you would make a great homeless person, you know which restrooms to use and when, etc........ i'm sure you;re a very resourceful person when need be.

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meaters like us could never become vegetarians. We're all about the meat orgies.

We had a similar thread to this in Delta not long ago...where it was basically a bunch of us IEEs and SLIs making plans to travel the world...and then it somehow turned into a topic about llamas. LOL. Hmm. We're an interesting bunch.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mean: pack a suitcase of necessities and special things, tie up some loose ends, and just leave it all behind for a while to see/experience the world?

When I finally finish school, I am leaving the US to live/work/LIVE in a totally new country/culture. Any other deltas dream of something like this? Maybe more importantly, did you go for it?
    Whoa, yeah.

As soon as I became old enough, (18,) I moved to England... When I was 19, I moved to Germany w/o knowing the language... During that year, I traveled across Europe (all directions.) After that, while getting my bachelor's, I moved across country (U.S.) several times, e.g. Bos-San Fran-Bos-San Fran (again)-Chi-CT, etc... I've taken bus trips to see the U.S. To see it differently, I've gone by train... Would like to do it by car.

This is just how I am, I believe--I really enjoy it... Right now i'm getting my master's--thus i feel temporarily tied down to this place, (New Haven, CT)--so I'm figuring out different ways to 'leave it all behind' and check out new things.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We had a similar thread to this in Delta not long ago...where it was basically a bunch of us IEEs and SLIs making plans to travel the world...and then it somehow turned into a topic about llamas.
    LOL!

yeah, dbmmama, I'd like to test it out and prove to myself I could do it. And i've got the free-food thing down to a science.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meaters like us could never become vegetarians. We're all about the meat orgies.

We had a similar thread to this in Delta not long ago...where it was basically a bunch of us IEEs and SLIs making plans to travel the world...and then it somehow turned into a topic about llamas. LOL. Hmm. We're an interesting bunch.
    Maybe we just get distracted too easily sometimes heh.

I like that dbmamma. Just live off my truck and whore myself out till I get a real job in another state.

HRM.... might still have to wait a bit due to recent circumstances but hey im never too old.

- Voltaire

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by JuJu View Post
    Whoa, yeah.

As soon as I became old enough, (18,) I moved to England... When I was 19, I moved to Germany w/o knowing the language... During that year, I traveled across Europe (all directions.) After that, while getting my bachelor's, I moved across country (U.S.) several times, e.g. Bos-San Fran-Bos-San Fran (again)-Chi-CT, etc... I've taken bus trips to see the U.S. To see it differently, I've gone by train... Would like to do it by car.

This is just how I am, I believe--I really enjoy it... Right now i'm getting my master's--thus i feel temporarily tied down to this place, (New Haven, CT)--so I'm figuring out different ways to 'leave it all behind' and check out new things.
    Ah! That must have been amazing, going to a country where you didn't even speak the language. And so young! Like I said, I'm waiting anxiously to finish this round of school, and then I'm outta here. The funny thing about that is, I really have a fantastic life here, but I know that if I don't go now while I'm young and relatively free, I'll regret it for the rest of my life. From your post, JuJu, it looks like this may be a lifelong thing, though... all the better, I say!

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JuJu View Post
    Whoa, yeah.

This sounds great to me. One of the reasons I haven't committed to starting my Masters yet is that I hesitate to being tied down to staying here. What I would really like to do is move to a completely different place, probably country to do this.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've often thought it would be fun to just start over somewhere new. But I've never done it. I've always lived in the same town.

My husband actually did that. He came here to visit a friend (who had studied abroad in Australia, where my husband is from) and ended up just moving here and starting over. He was stuck in a job he hated, but he felt like he had to stay there for financial reasons (he hated the idea of losing the financial security) but he finally bit the bullet and just left.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This summer on a trip to Israel I met someone who done the same program 30 years ago...and never left. After going there I would seriously consider staying (in the North - which is absolutely beautiful) but not until I graduate. The school and math program I'm in are both way too good to give up. If my school or current situation sucked I would probably go for it.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to want to just take off and go, but my opinion has changed somewhat. It's partially a case of knowing that no matter where I go, there I'm still gonna be; if I have a problem here, it's probably myself, so what reason do I have to believe it won't follow me around?

So number one is to work on that.

Number 2 - at this point, I'm thinking that finding a career which allows me to travel a bit - even if it's to the same place - will be the best bet, allowing me to find a balance between routine and 'taking off'. And it'll be 'responsible' too, as I'll be making some coin instead of just blowing it on an extended adolesence.
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes I've done it before.

I took nothing with me, just my wallet and some of my own cash.

I took a taxi down to church, just wondering if God is good enough to forgive a shithole wretch like me. Apparently He was.

I felt good. Then my dad came along and fetched me home. Pussy of a father. My mother didn't even care cos she's too cool to care.

My pastor taught me this prayer, "Lord Jesus have mercy on me, a sinner."

How apt.

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a fucking wretch like me.

If God hates me I'll go to hell. I hope he doesn't.

I think it's said somewhere that he loves everyone. It's also said somewhere that His love is with the righteous. I think unless by some unconventional logic, that if Christ wasn't my great high priest, I'll definitely be condemned to eternal suffering. Either that, or he'll just burn the demons out of this screwed up soul I have. And this shitty body that's always craving for sex and shit like that. And this horrible mouth that can' stop spouting vulgarities no matter how hard I try.

I hate life in general, but I believe I must change it.

For those little kittens that are under my care, I will change it and save this shithole from itself.

Like Ezra, I believe that I am cursed/blessed with some shitty super powers. It's called wit, bipolaric self-esteem, and an extreme contempt for the one weapon I know I've hidden under my sleeve for so long, TheBlueBlade of violence and vengeful punishment.

Yes. My blade was made for cutting, for those who did not realize. And for protecting my kittens, and enforcing brute, lethal and elegant violence upon those who endanger them.

And it's blue, a symbol of peace.

And it is THEblueblade, because it hates you, since you hate me.

And yes. It's fucking mine and it's in my possession.

Oh. I think I hate you too.
    She is wise
    beyond words
    beautiful within
    her soul
    brighter than
    the sun
    lovelier than
    love
    dreams larger
    than life
    and does not
    understand the
    meaning of no.
    Because everything
    through her, and in her, is
    "Yes, it will be done."

Why I love LSEs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbie
    A couple years ago I was put in charge of decorating the college for Valentine's Day. I made some gorgeous, fancy decorations from construction paper, glue, scissors, and imagination. Then I covered a couple cabinets with them. But my favorite was the diagram of a human heart I put up. So romantic!

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by force my hand View Post
    I used to want to just take off and go, but my opinion has changed somewhat. It's partially a case of knowing that no matter where I go, there I'm still gonna be; if I have a problem here, it's probably myself, so what reason do I have to believe it won't follow me around?

So number one is to work on that.
    I don't want to "take off" as in "escape" from problems in my life; it's more about wanting to experience as much as I possibly can in the sixty or so years I have left to live (God willing, of course)... it's about learning as much as I can about as much as I can, and taking all of it in with my own eyes and ears and touch, rather than reading about it second-hand in some textbook.

Of course your problems, or perceived problems, will "follow you around," but by exposing yourself to totally new environments and experiences, you just might learn to think about/deal with/solve them better than you ever could have otherwise.

Number 2 - at this point, I'm thinking that finding a career which allows me to travel a bit - even if it's to the same place - will be the best bet, allowing me to find a balance between routine and 'taking off'. And it'll be 'responsible' too, as I'll be making some coin instead of just blowing it on an extended adolesence.
    Very wise of you.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course your problems, or perceived problems, will "follow you around," but by exposing yourself to totally new environments and experiences, you just might learn to think about/deal with/solve them better than you ever could have otherwise.
    That's a good point - one I should consider a bit more!
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

Creepy-

That's a good point - one I should consider a bit more!
    This time next year, you'll be posting from Tanzania about how you "took off" and how your life will never be the same.

EDIT: Of course, that could be my weak talking
    Last edited by female; 07-13-2008 at 06:26 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i did it at 20. packed up what i could fit in my car and drove 2000 miles to phx. so freeing and fun! the next years were the best, well, some of the best.
    haha, I could have written this word for word. I'd just put 1700 miles instead of 2000...lol. Though I missed the wife and kids part of it and moved to Oregon after 3.5 years. Still living those "good" years now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm just back in front of the comp. This thread made my eyes go 0_0. I've only been doing my homework for a day and I already find myself contemplating this. SERIOUSLY!!!

I might do it too. But i don't like planning these things too much. It works better when I do it on a whim.

Yeah, but I better get back to my homework. 1 more month. GRRR
    plus change freedom is coming ahhhhhhhhh
    n00bIEE

TIM
    ISXj
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

YES!! It is absolutely imperative that I experience as much of the world as possible before I die.
    I get so excited when I think about all of the radically different places I am going to live and people I am going to meet.
    I'm actually working on my Master's in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) for the very purpose of being able to move around the world. I'm so excited!!!
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.
    John Muir

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

If you have the financial means for that, great. You can have the time of your life maybe but later down the road you'd have to settle. Depends on how well-off you are.

I'm a poor white trash hick so yeah. I like seeing other people's cultures occasionally, I am very liberal but eventually it just seems kind of long-winded and like I can't really force myself to care. I am just way too ambivalent about everything. Plus if you get to know somebody "from another culture" you eventually get to hear about how they don't like a certain group of people -yet they think THEY are the all-purpose victims of the world.

It gets to be a little grating.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast