Thread: What is your earliest memory

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What is your earliest memory

While watching my infant son I began thinking about my childhood memories. So I'm curious; how far back can you remember the events of your life?
    All Hail The Flying Spaghetti Monster

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when i was about 4 i found a can of spray paint in the closet of the dining room. i sprayed it, not realizing where the paint was going to come out of, and it got my brother in the eye. i got in a lot of trouble. afterward, as my mother was bathing me and my brother, she cried and said she was sorry for yelling at us.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was 3 or 4 years old, and I remember my dad trying to teach me how to ride a bike without training wheels.

Around the same time I remember trying to fly a kite and sucking horribly at it, and then it flew away and my uncles laughed at me.
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

- Voltaire

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the absolute earliest memory was being in my mom's arms and looking at a brown microwave. I'm not sure if this is something my brain created itself out of pieces of random stuff, but if it is legitimate then this was in my infancy. We're talking 1 or so. I remember remembering this since at least 5.

Otherwise my earliest memory is driving to the hospital where my brother was born at 3-years-old.

Quote Originally Posted by LokiVanguard View Post
    Around the same time I remember trying to fly a kite and sucking horribly at it, and then it flew away and my uncles laughed at me.
    That's a really sad memory!
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Very busy with work. Only kind of around.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember waking up on my 3rd birthday and saying "I'm free! (three)
    D-SEI 9w1

This is me and my dual being scientific together

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually now that i read vero's post I remember something earlier:

My grandma singing to me in my stroller when I was really really young... maybe 2?

Quote Originally Posted by mn0good View Post
    That's a really sad memory!
    Yah... guess I got a thick skin because of them.

Edit:
    Actually now that you mention it, I remember lots and lots of instances where kids AND adults used to laugh at me.

:/
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

- Voltaire

TIM
    INTp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deciding that I can't trust my mom when I was two, and changing the way I acted towards her.

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't remember which of these came first, but they happened at roughly the same age.

I was around 3. I remember waking up in the middle of the night and crying. And I remember having this really strange feeling like I wasn't sure why I was crying, but I couldn't make myself stop. My grandfather (not the one that passed away recently, the other one) was in the other room, and all I could hear him scream out to me was "SHUT UP!...... SHUT UP!"

I remember I was eating a slice of American cheese, and I accidentally left it on a bookshelf. By the time I had remembered I had left it there, the slice of cheese was all dried up and covered in ants. I remember feeling this really dark, cold feeling when I saw it.

*sigh*

I do vaguely remember being in a cradle and seeing a mobile above my head. But the memory isn't very clear.

Oh, and I have memories of the first time I rode a bike. It was a Christmas gift when I was 5. A red BMX style bike. There was a giant field behind our back yard that was adjacent to the fields of an elementary school that was just down the street from us. So, I'm riding around on the bike, doing figure 8s and laps, and would sometimes decide to "mix it up" by doing some weird variations of the loops.

Oh yeah, there was one tree in the field. The weird variation that I decided to do put me right in a beeline towards the tree (about 50 feet away or so by the end of the turn). In a sudden state of panic, realizing it was becoming too late to turn away from the tree and not understanding how to stop the bike, I lifted my arms and legs off the handlebars and pedals and rammed straight into the tree. I got tangled up in the bike, with the bike slightly on top of me. And I remember my mom and dad running towards me with my dad doing this sort of laughing "Are you ok?" question.

Something similar happened the first time I rode a 4-wheeler as well. But that story is for another day.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember getting two cats when I was two or three. I was wonderstruck at seeing living animals up close enough to touch. At first I think I may have been kind of worried, but then one walked up to me where I was sitting and crawled into my lap purring. My idea for a good name back then was Bloedoe. She was the smartest or luckiest cat I ever had, this judging from the fact that she was the only cat I owned to die of natural causes. It's funny, but I think that having pets was really a big part of my growing up and being able to understand other people, seeing how unique each living thing can be, how they need different things to be happy and feel safe and wanted.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

This one isn't it. But I remember as a small kid trying to remember back in time, and noticing that there's a certain a cutoff point in time, that after that I can't remember earlier experiences. And from realizing that in future I will be able to remember more years backwards. From that I came to conclusion that my brain must not have been developed enough to memorize events for long period of time, before that cutoff period that is.
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

INTp

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My earliest memory was from when I was about 13 months old and I woke up in my crib, I screamed for my mom and she eventually (after what seemed like forever) came and picked me up.
    All Hail The Flying Spaghetti Monster

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LokiVanguard View Post
    Actually now that i read vero's post I remember something earlier:

My grandma singing to me in my stroller when I was really really young... maybe 2?

Yah... guess I got a thick skin because of them.

Edit:
    Actually now that you mention it, I remember lots and lots of instances where kids AND adults used to laugh at me.

:/
    people remember things better when there was emotional impact made, i read.

i do think i remember things very early.. but they are not as strong as the one where I was 2-3 and skinned my knee at a zoo. I remember the cold smooth tiles under my sandal-ed feet and the cerulean dress grazing my thighs. We were forced to take a photo atop a fountain, and i regarded this task with disdain.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i was two, sitting on the floor playing next to my mom in a rocking chair while she crocheted. neither of us were talking to the other. and then, my dad came home from work and I WAS SO HAPPY.

another when i was 3 and my sister was born. she was MINE. i was a mom and knew i wanted to be a mom from then on. no dolls for me, i wanted the real thing.

i also had a lot of memories of people laughing at me, especially when i was frightened, which was a lot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anything with a picture of me after the age of 2 I remember vividly.

There's this picture of me in my high chair at halloween (I was two) and my high chair table was covered in the Candy I got. I was *sooo* happy. I wasn't allowed to eat just whatever day-to-day so having all that colourful, sweet candy in front of me was overwhelmingly delightful. Knowing that the candy was definitely "my" candy was the best feeling.

The oldest non-photo memory I have was being scared.

My mum made me an egg-salad sandwich and I was sitting in my high chair with the sammich right in front of our front door in the kitchen (it was kinda a weird house design). My mum went in her room to get something and the house was pretty dark and I couldn't see her. Then suddenly I felt scared and it occurred to me that no matter what I wanted to do to get away from the situation, I couldn't. I just wanted to be away from the door and with my mum. I think it was the first time I felt reflective of my own vulnerability. Like, ah! I actually can't do anything cause I'm confined to this high chair!!

As an aside, anybody else relate to the picture recognition I described?
    When I have kids I'm going to show them cameras, take a picture, show them the picture being printed right away. The sooner the connection is made the better! Maybe it will happen them become reflective quicker/ develop long-term memories.
    ~*ENTp*~

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    Actually, now that I think about it... my earliest memory was my SLE grandad asking to hide behind the wall around his yard while he tried to convince an unexpected van of armed rebels that our familly was on their side. He was afraid that if they saw me and my brother we would get abducted.

I am not making this up, I know that 93% of my posts on this forum are outright spam, but this actually happened.
    You cry wolf too much. lol

Where were you living then? Who were the rebels?
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    I'd rather not divulge that information publicly. Maybe someday I'll work up the courage to tell you the whole story Jem. But thanks for taking an interest. (:
    ok (c:
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."