Thread: Not another enneagram thread

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Not another enneagram thread ...

I can't decide between 4, 7, and 9 at the moment.

Sometimes I have issues with identity, but I don't really think it's a main concern of mine. I try to recreate myself a lot, and seemingly insignificant incidents can make me resolve to sort of overhaul my personality in a way. I don't know if that necessarily qualifies as having identity issues though. Because I think I can separate my behaviour from my personality and am not really concerned with whether or not I'm being 'true to myself' - as long as I'm not going against my values. I think I'm a pretty optimistic person in general - I can sound depressed the way I talk about things, but usually I just find it interesting to delve into the whys and wherefores and after I've talked about it or written about it, I'm fine. It can be embarrassing sometimes when I confide in someone about how I'm feeling ... because I'm usually quite aware (after I've thought about it) of why I'm feeling what I am, so I tell the person everything and it seems like such a dark and tangled web of emotions that the person feels quite alarmed for me .... but really I just like connecting the dots and explaining everything. That's helps me to get over things. So the person looks at me strangely when I'm smiling and laughing the next moment. Makes me look insincere I guess. But really, it's just therapeutic for me to get my thoughts and feelings out. Helps me make sense of them. I don't think I'm really scared when it comes to going into dark places - there's always a feeling of optimism that pervades even my darkest moments - so I endure dark feelings in the knowledge that they are passing. I don't think I'd ever be able to truly 'lose' myself in a feeling - not because I'd be afraid to really - just being that I'm sort of always outside of myself and can see the feeling for what it is - a passing phase. I can indulge in painful emotions at times, but I don't feel I lose perspective. There is always the rational side of me telling me what's going on I guess ... and it's annoying at times - I wish I could truly be submerged in emotions at times and not be analysing them at the same time.

I sort of relate to the 7's need for external stimulation. I hate boredom, but usually don't have a problem with finding something that interests me to focus on. I often sacrifice future consequences for the sake of feeling stimulated in the present. I find it hard to endure drudgery for the sake of future rewards.

When I feel at my healthiest, I'm usually doing a lot of things, showing outward concern for others and generally living outside of myself. When I'm like that, I don't feel any danger of 'losing my identity' really. I feel like I gain an identity by being more externally-focused.

When I feel unhealthy, I'm overly-analytical of myself and my behaviour, I think too much about what I feel like doing and that sort of thing. I guess I can be healthy and analyse myself, but ultimately I want to just forget myself - becuase it's only then when I really find myself. Oh, isn't that poetic ... But really, I feel like I get my sense of identity from other people in a way. Well, not really ... but I guess I feel relatively secure in my sense of identity so that adapting to different people and situations doesn't phase me or shake my core. I sort of feel like it's my responibility to be flexible and accepting ... because I'm naturally like that and a lot of people aren't. Sometimes I'm not really aware of what my motivations are in doing certain things until I analyse it (though it's usually pretty easy to work out), but my motivation isn't really that important to me - as long as I'm being true to my system of values.

Lol I guess this is getting further and further away from type 4 ... but anyway. What type do you think I am?
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mimosa Pudica View Post
    Welcome to the club. Can't you and I just make our own type? The 479? Or, given that the enneagram invites to do maths the type 20 (4+7+9)
    one way that 1 made the most sense is because i REALLY didn't want it to be that. please, let me have evolved already! and next because 1, 4 and 7 fit the best. which also made sense about my behaviors. 4 being my stressed out place and 7 being my healthy, happy, letting go of perfection place.

i suggest looking at the ways different types handle and deal with stress and what they act like when in a healthy place.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw a picture of you and I think you're Si-ISFp 4 - prolly 4w5
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    I saw a picture of you and I think you're Si-ISFp 4 - prolly 4w5
    How can you tell what my life motivations are from a picture? Do you think what I've written could comply with being type 4?

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jem
    How can you tell what my life motivations are from a picture? Do you think what I've written could comply with being type 4?
    Enneagram and socionics isn't that hard to V.I.. I'm a 4w5 myself, so 4's are typically the easiest to spot for me. I'd have to see a few more pics to be sure though.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    Enneagram and socionics isn't that hard to V.I.. I'm a 4w5 myself, so 4's are typically the easiest to spot for me. I'd have to see a few more pics to be sure though.
    No offense, but what good is that to me? I have no idea how accurate your V.I. skills are.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    Are you kidding me? Niiiii..........Niiiiiiiiii.........Niiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiii.............

Voodoo doll not included.
    LOL!!!!

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    Are you kidding me? Niiiii..........Niiiiiiiiii.........Niiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiii.............

Voodoo doll not included.
    I can't help it if I was born a bitter skeptic.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Overall first impression: 9w1

Your first post has a very matter-of-fact languid feel to it. And the adaptability you mention a few times is typical of 9s. They are agreeable, sometimes so much so that they lose their own sense of priorities. 9s can be so easily affected by others that they often tend to compromise in a "whatever you want" way and then cannot identify what THEY really want themselves. Compulsive agreeability and positive framing.

"External focus to gain identity" -- this really sounds 9ish or even 2ish.

In general, I guess if I had to put my finger on it, you sound somewhat removed and "diffuse" rather than the somewhat edgy or strident quality that I usually associate with 4s. I also don't get a clear sense of a vivid emotional landscape in your writing.

::grain of salt::
    socio: INFp - IEI
    ennea: 4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
    Only kings, presidents, editors, and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial 'we'.

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks aka-kitsune. Yeah - the more I read, the more type 9 makes sense for me. I'm not sure about the wing yet. 9w1s are more idealistic and perfectionistic while 9w8s are more grounded and assertive - is that right?

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jem
    No offense, but what good is that to me? I have no idea how accurate your V.I. skills are.
    My Ni gives me visions from God and is rivaled only by #'s

and they call me the enneagram guru...
    4w3-5w6-8w7