Thread: Socionics Types and the Brain

Board philosopher or bored philosopher? jason_m's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Socionics Types and the Brain

Don't take these as absolutes, but I've been thinking about how various Socionics functions could be related to the brain. Here are my conclusions:

Te: Related to the prefrontal cortex. The prefrontal cortex is the home of planning and organizing - the "executive functions." The executive functions are in control of goal-oriented behaviour.

Ti: Related to the left hemisphere. The left hemisphere is supposed to be the seat of logic and analysis.

Ne: I think that Ne is the function of the whole brain working together. My reason for thinking this is because there is supposed to be a brain drug that increases creativity, and what it does is increase the functioning of the corpus callosum. Supposedly, this increases the connection between the two hemispheres, and therefore, increases creativity. People who try the drug claim that they are able to generate more ideas when they take it. Now, I'm not saying that I believe the drug is effective, but it provides a theoretical framework for creativity. (And if Ne isn't a function of the whole brain, then I think it would be a function of the right hemisphere, as it is supposedly the seat of holistic thinking.)

Ni: Related to the temporal lobes. The temporal lobes have an interesting relationship with the perception of time. For instance, deja vu is supposedly a temporal lobe phenomenon. Also, I think that the temporal lobes are related to Ni because people with temporal lobe epilepsy become fixated on highly abstract subjects such as religion, philosophy and spirituality.

Fe: Related to the limbic system and the frontal cortex. Supposedly, the frontal cortex is highly related to social knowledge. Also, many emotions are produced by the limbic system and interpreted by the frontal cortex. Therefore, I think the relationship between the two systems produces Fe.

Fi: Related to the limbic system. If I remember correctly, in a lecture in my psychology class, it was mentioned that the amygdala (a structure in the limbic system) is over-active in people who have social anxiety. It seems to me that social anxiety is a function of sensitivity. The limbic system is also supposedly responsible for generating emotions. Therefore, I would associate the limbic system with Fi. (You might say that the frontal cortex could be involved for the same reasons as for Fe, but, in my opinion, the fact that limbic structures are overactive in social anxiety, while the frontal cortex is supposedly good at social skills, points to the notion that Fi is solely a limbic system phenomenon.)

Si and Se: Related to the parietal lobe. From what I understand, the parietal lobe is supposedly the part of the brain that is aware of where your body is located in space, the senations in your body, and sensations that come from outside of your body.

Keep in mind that these are only ideas based on my knowledge of the brain. There is probably more complexity to these functions than that they are simply based on a limited area of the brain. Whole networks of neurons could be involved, using multiple areas of the brain. The pattern or form that some of these networks take could indicate the nature of the functions. However, I don't know enough about the brain to draw any conclusions about this (and perhaps no one knows enough about the brain to explain how it actually corresponds with behaviour).

Jason

Don't forget the the thehotelambush's Avatar
    TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting, but I wonder what would put all these different parts of the brain onto the same cognitive level.

I had words here once, but I didn't feed them Khola's Avatar
    TIM
    ESE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Si is related to the parietal lobe, and I'm SEI, I think my ability at carparking, or lack thereof, just disproved your theory.
    Hello, my name is Bee. Pleased to meet you .

TIM
    INTp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, the hippocampus is where all spatial maps are stored (it's what rats use to solve mazes; a study at University College London by Maguire in 2000 showed that part of the hippocampus is larger in taxi drivers than in the general public, and that more experienced drivers have bigger hippocampi). You are right about T/F occurring in the prefrontal cortex and N in the cerebral cortex, but I believe that S is processed in the sensory thalamus (especially the lateral geniculate nucleus for vision). I think that my left brain is more LSI and my right brain is more LII after observing the facial expressions on each side. My favorite nootrope is bacopin, it is an antioxidant (though it has the opposite effect in large doses) that greatly improves the speed and fidelity of cognitive functions; it is associated with enlightenment in India and has been known as Brahmi, the mental herb, for thousands of years.

Haikus
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

How is this information helpful? I mean we know what a cell does in the technical sense... but what it means, what its purpose- that is what is more interesting to me, and to humanity as a whole I would imagine. My weak Te (or Ti?) must be showing here....

You're getting too science-y on me and it's bugging me! Who cares? We just need to know the exact mechanics of why people don't get along and why some dates feel awkward and why some are better than others... it's about real love, nothing else.

TIM
    INTp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    How is this information helpful? I mean we know what a cell does in the technical sense... but what it means, what its purpose- that is what is more interesting to me, and to humanity as a whole I would imagine. My weak Te (or Ti?) must be showing here....

You're getting too science-y on me and it's bugging me! Who cares? We just need to know the exact mechanics of why people don't get along and why some dates feel awkward and why some are better than others... it's about real love, nothing else.
    Maybe it was something you ate, causing a chemical imbalance in your brain that prevents you from feeling comfortable. Or it could be excessive activity in the prefrontal cortex causing you to act nervous or self-conscious, and treatable with agonists that act in that region of the brain (such as Xanax, which increases GABA reception by deforming the receptor to decrease binding energy, or Alcohol, which deforms receptors so that they are open longer and allow more ions to pass through once reception has taken place...this is why alcohol and Xanax have such similar and directly synergistic effects - GABA mainly inhibits nerve transmissions in the brain and this is why these drugs are used to reduce social anxiety). BTW, you never answered why you think I am sexy, intimidating, hard, or fake on my thread...

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    I don't get it. Are you trying to be sexy or intimidating or is that how you really are? Because it just looks... fake to me. What do you get out of appearing so hard?

TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@jason_m:

There is a great deal of unsupported assumptions in your post, but I'm glad that you bring up a decent discussion topic just for change.

Allow me to start from what I think is the easiest function to explain biologically: Si. In evolutionary terms the reptilian brain gave path to the mammalian (limbic) brain. Mammals possess some features that reptiles do not, like:

* Hair. Besides of heat, it serves the purpose of increasing the pleasure of touching others and being touched.
    * Mammal parents recognize and fulfill the physiological needs of their offspring.

There is also an emotional aspect to the limbic system too. Reptiles do not get attached and thus do not suffer about the loss of a "close one". Here it is pertinent to separate the concept of experimenting emotions from the concept of understanding emotions. I believe (I'm not one) Fe individuals are good at manipulating the emotional atmosphere, but they can't really provide "higher level" explanations of such interactions in the way Fi individuals can.

For this reason I tend to believe that what we understand as "caregiver" profile has its origins in the limbic system and implies the functions Si and Fe. It is really not a surprise that Te individuals are caregivers too; the difference between Te and Fe would be only a tendency to increase the level of emotionality or suppress it. Te individuals suppress their emotions and thus are capable of more "detached and objective" analysis. In line with the "cold" image that delta ST convey.

I'll like to know your opinion about this before proceeding with the rest of the functions.
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.