LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Wikisocion Fe Role Description

I would like to go over discussing this, so I can better understand it:

as a role (3rd) function (LSE and LIE)

The individual makes an effort to adapt to the prevailing emotional atmosphere, especially in group situations, and tries to promote a positive emotional environment, as in making positive or witty remarks, in the presence of individuals he is already somewhat acquainted with and appreciates. Such efforts, however, are normally low-key and of short duration; it is difficult for him to display emotions more complex or intense than enthusiasm. He is essentially unable to participate in a group atmosphere where intense emotional expression as in loud laughing and mutual jokes are prevailing. The individual makes an effort to be aware of the need not to disrupt the prevailing emotional atmosphere but he does not succeed for any length of time if that would clash with his inner emotional state and private feelings about the other persons present. A typical example is the person who, in a group of people exchanging pleasantries and casual conversation, will occasionally correct erroneous statements made by others, in a way that can be perceived as annoying, despite otherwise making an effort to abide by the prevailing emotional atmosphere.
    (bold added)

Particularly I am interested in talking about the bold sentences.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, why is that the case for Te dominants?

I suspect it is related to this:
    as a base (1st) function (LIE and LSE)

The individual evaluates external reality - work activities, world events, finances, procedures, personal relationships, conversations - from the point of view of factual accuracy and "making sense" and efficiency. He is inclined to be proactive in increasing the efficiency and reasonableness of the external world, and his sense of self-worth is connected to being involved and productive in activities seen as useful, profitable, or that increase one's knowledge base. To give out information that he knows not to be factually accurate is disturbing and avoided as much as possible. Thus the individual has a need to accumulate factual information, also from external sources such as books, second-hand information, etc, on matters of personal interest or of professional activity. This also gives him confidence in being well-informed on the same matters, which enables him to enter arguments related to them with confidence in his knowledge, which may come across as arrogance to others.
    And...

This page: (Expat's one time) present views on the Fe-Ti and Fi-Te question
    There are many things on that page, but here is one that seems to fit well
    That's what makes Fi-Te types so sensitive to being lied to, or to any other breach of trust, or even to receiving "softened" information even with good intentions.
    So going back to the Fe role description:

He is essentially unable to participate in a group atmosphere where intense emotional expression as in loud laughing and mutual jokes are prevailing
    - it has to do with factual accuracy of what is being said. Mutual jokes, loud emotional expressions - these all involve a certain level of deviation from "the truth", or, on emotional matters, deviating from how you really feel.

The individual makes an effort to be aware of the need not to disrupt the prevailing emotional atmosphere but he does not succeed for any length of time if that would clash with his inner emotional state and private feelings about the other persons present.
    - Te dominants cannot/or do not like to "alter" what they present, in terms how they really feel about a situation.

I'll wait to see what people think.
    Generally, I'm just looking for discussion of this, or even examples and things you've seen that illustrate Fe Role.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bump

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UDP View Post
    So going back to the Fe role description:

He is essentially unable to participate in a group atmosphere where intense emotional expression as in loud laughing and mutual jokes are prevailing.
    - it has to do with factual accuracy of what is being said. Mutual jokes, loud emotional expressions - these all involve a certain level of deviation from "the truth", or, on emotional matters, deviating from how you really feel.
    I do not like the way the bolded bit is phrased now, as it sounds too absolute, and I don't agree with your interpretations. There is LIE or LSE humor, and humor necessarily involves "deviation from truth" which for Te is perfectly acceptable as long as it's immediately clear that it was humor.

And, also, obviously Te dominants can also laugh.

The way the original reference to this was meant was this: the dislike for Te dominants to "adapt" to an emotional atmosphere that does not reflect their own inner state. If, however, they are in a situation where they want to "join the fun" anyway - maybe because they feel very comfortable with the precise individuals around - then they will obviously laugh etc, perhaps even be a bit too talkative.

Quote Originally Posted by UDP View Post
    The individual makes an effort to be aware of the need not to disrupt the prevailing emotional atmosphere but he does not succeed for any length of time if that would clash with his inner emotional state and private feelings about the other persons present.
    - Te dominants cannot/or do not like to "alter" what they present, in terms how they really feel about a situation.
    Yes. But the point I was getting at (since this bit has remained pretty much as I wrote it) is this.

Te dominants are not intentional killjoys. Even if they can't really "join the fun", if they understand what is going on they will not go out of their way to disrupt the emotional atmosphere, and may even make some effort to join - but will probably not succeed for long.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I agree with Expat's interpretation. The key sentence is (I think) "if it clashes with his internal feelings".
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see udp as more averse to Beta Fe than anything else, as that is the intense expression of Fe which seems to offset him. As far as I can tell, he seems to like the light alpha Fe atmosphere (even though that is rare in stickam chats lol), as it seems to loosen him up.

OMFG YOU GUYS CAN TOTALLY TELL ME HOW OFF THAT IS NOW

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well to respond a little bit to the original post....i'd say my LSE mother is exactly as described. she can't get with an intense emotional moody chaotic atmosphere. i think it's because it's not "factual". Fe mood is inherently gray area, smoke-and-mirrors, drama. she can't keep up with it. that said, she loves Fi style of interaction. this, she can keep up with.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often