Thread: Obsessive dual-seeking?

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Obsessive dual-seeking?

Is it possible for a person to be obsessed with their dual-seeking function to the point where they use it at every opportunity and appear dominant in the function they're seeking?
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Is it possible for a person to be obsessed with their dual-seeking function to the point where they use it at every opportunity and appear dominant in the function they're seeking?
    I believe I may have seen this before. Instead of relying on a small core of highly reliable information (as we do with our base function), this person instead relies on huge amounts of miscellaneous data, and tries to organize it into a coherent whole. I've seen people try to make sense of what I say before without really having any background into it, and what they end up doing is relating it with everything else they know into a mostly incoherent mismash of ideas. Only a few people I know of actually do this, but I can point to two examples right off. One is crazedrat, I think, because he seems to rely on huge amounts of Fi to support his Te.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been told multiple times that I am obsessed with Se. It wasn't stated in those exact words, however.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our dual seeking function is the area in which we're most needy. It is arguably our weakest function (with our PoLR coming in as a close second), and certainly our most helpless.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I think so. If the person is _forced_ to constantly use his dual-seeking function- i.e., if it's required for the person's job.
    In those cases I think that he will appear strong in the function, but also tremendously insecure when someone calls him out on something he's done wrong, and very judgemental of other people in their strength of this function. I say "judgemental" of others, because my experience is that people don't judge other people on their ego function; rather, they get offended or hurt when people don't value their leading functions. People do, however, seem to judge people on their Super-Id functions, and much more so when they have been forced to develop them. (I think Expat posted about this in another thread, saying that these people appear annoying to most people.)
    I think the underlying psychological reason for the "judgement" that results when types focus on developing their weak functions, is that these people perceive themselves to have "worked," since it is not easy for them. Leading functions, on the other hand, don't seem to be "real work." So then, it's pretty self validating, and hence very natural, to define "lazy" people as those whom you perceive not to be "working"- i.e., strengthening your Super-Id functions.
    The difference in "judgement" between a person who develops his Super-Id and one who doesn't is that the latter isn't claiming to be good at these things; he will empathise with you if you suck in them and will like you more if you are strong in these functions, because of the value you have to him. The former, however, will hold you accountable if you are not strong in these functions. In doing so, he will come across as a judgemental hypocrite since most sane people will intuitively understand that this person is not even naturally good at that for which he's criticizing others.
    EII; E6(w5)

i am flakey

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's your hidden agenda, not dual seeking function.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I write, I use a lot of my weak functions. That is all I will say for now.
    D-SEI 9w1

This is me and my dual being scientific together

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    I have been told multiple times that I am obsessed with Se. It wasn't stated in those exact words, however.

Haha yeah. same for me with Si... different wording though, definitely.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think I'd physically have the energy to act like an Se-dominant, even if I were obsessed with doing so. The moment I'm low on physical energy I start daydreaming where I stand without even realise it. I don't know if it would be the same for others, but for me I don't think it would be possible.
    ILI (Indescribable Lovemaking Inc.)
    5w4 so/sx

"IP temperament! Because today's concerns are tomorrow's indifferences!"

Lord Fnorgle's Domain - A slowly growing collection of music, poetry and literature.
    Stickam music performances

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thinking of it only hypothetically I would think that if someone's entire personality is inverted such that they appear to be leading in their dual-seeking function and seeking their leading function... they would be absolutely insane and in desperate need of the mental institution.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    thinking of it only hypothetically I would think that if someone's entire personality is inverted such that they appear to be leading in their dual-seeking function and seeking their leading function... they would be absolutely insane and in desperate need of the mental institution.
    Pretty much.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, i think that being concerned with things related to a function day in and day out would be an indication to your type.

i think whiny-ness and acting like a baby indicates your dual seeking function.

I think all use of functions you're not strong is can be obvious to those actually strong in the function.

total paranoia indicates your polr function.

annoyance but begrudging submission indicates your role.

ime.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Kensington
    i think whiny-ness and acting like a baby indicates your dual seeking function.
    lol

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone from forums that's met me will attest to my extreme fixation with Si.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    I can relate to this. You can ask almost anyone here and they will tell you that I'm definitely strong in Si.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Everyone from forums that's met me will attest to my extreme fixation with Si.

the thing is, neither of you, in all the time i have interacted with you, have ever really struck me as Si types. i don't think being obsessed with it or being enamored with it is going to make you come off as strong in said function.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by implied View Post
    the thing is, neither of you, in all the time i have interacted with you, have ever really struck me as Si types.
    You mean we don't strike you as a ISXp or ESXj? I wouldn't think so. I just think instead that it shows that we as ENTps ARE quite aware of Si stuff.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    You mean we don't strike you as a ISXp or ESXj? I wouldn't think so. I just think instead that it shows that we as ENTps ARE quite aware of Si stuff.

basically i got the idea that jem was asking if someone could be so obsessed with their DS function that they might look like a representative of that type. i don't think it would be totally crazy for any Ne type to have a strong interest in Si. the ENTps/INTjs i have met though, do not strike me as highly "Si aware" in a lot of ways, though.

6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by implied View Post
    basically i got the idea that jem was asking if someone could be so obsessed with their DS function that they might look like a representative of that type. i don't think it would be totally crazy for any Ne type to have a strong interest in Si. the ENTps/INTjs i have met though, do not strike me as highly "Si aware" in a lot of ways, though.
    I understand. I was just expanding on the topic matter to include related information.

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know what? I think it would be more likely for a type to look a type that is strong in their HIDDEN AGENDA as opposed to their dual-seeking.

I dunno, personally, I think hidden agendas manifest themselves in a much stronger way than dual-seeking b/c we actually believe ourselves to be proficient in said function. Most of the time with dual-seeking however, we KNOW that we suck and are helpless at it, therefore desiring someone to take care of it entirely. That's the main difference I see between the 5th and the 6th function.

For example, me, and EIE, would look like either an SLE or SEE (if the is particularly strong)

I also think it's quite interesting whoever said that a person with inverted functions would be mentally insane. LOL ... I wonder if we can find any real life examples of that?

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not strong in Si

I try pretty hard to find random things that interest me, but i'm not a natural at it.
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

- Voltaire

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    I think this is more likely. I could see people focusing a lot on their HA and so looking like their activity partner. I have a hard time believing I suck at anything though, which causes some problems when trying to understand my weak functions.

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been thinking that such people would feel extremely drawn to circumstancial information, such as syncronity and astrology. They would collect huge amounts of circumstantial information (because the dual-seeking function is one dimensional) and instead of just using it to guide the attention of their base function (such as, developing a theory of something that people want to know more about), they would instead try to correlate circumstantial things to each other. It would be like a ESFj using Ti all the time, and actually believing in the (completely baseless and circumstantial) theories they contrive. But then they would turn around and use all sorts of VALID theories to substantiate their wild claims. The odd thing about it is that to the extent these people have ever managed to hold power or anything (always through heredity), they have indeed made decisons based on the "arcane connections" in the stars. There are numerous accounts of kings who believed ferverently in astrologers, and followed their predictions to their own deaths.

On the other hand, Alex Boukalov's "Physics of Consciousness and Life" journal has all kinds of strange "investigations". You never knew the number 17 was so significant...

Although the astrological application of this talent is bunk, the idea of concepts that define a function "par excellence" is very useful. Game map designers envision entire landscapes and worlds seemingly out of nothing. (although there may be a theme to the map, the landscape is usually unexplainable in design). Such a person seems capable of understanding how many elements come together into a unified whole, whereas most of us can only concentrate on one part of the picture at a time. The problem is that they seem less capable than most of us when it comes to dealing with the individual parts. Most of us see the forest but must break it down into trees; these people see only the forest.

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suomea View Post
    I think people who meet me IRL might think I'm a Fe leading type of some sort at times. I've considered ESE and IEE for myself because of this as well because I think I use a lot of Fe IRL at times. I don't think it's shown too much on the forum though.
    I think it shows. Your posts often strike me as more IEE than ILE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamangir View Post
    When I write, I use a lot of my weak functions. That is all I will say for now.
    I look forward to hearing you elaborate on this. :-P
    Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    I can relate to this. You can ask almost anyone here and they will tell you that I'm definitely strong in Si.
    lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I'm just talking about a person who tries overly hard to develop and utilise their dual-seeking function. That wouldn't mean their whole personality is inverted.
    Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg View Post
    I believe I may have seen this before. Instead of relying on a small core of highly reliable information (as we do with our base function), this person instead relies on huge amounts of miscellaneous data, and tries to organize it into a coherent whole. I've seen people try to make sense of what I say before without really having any background into it, and what they end up doing is relating it with everything else they know into a mostly incoherent mismash of ideas.
    Yeah - I've noticed this too. I think in order to appear somewhat effective in a function you're weak in, you'd have to rely on prior observations and experiences, and act tactically or strategically rather than spontaneously. I think this behaviour can be convincing in small doses, but not really in the long run. And not at all convincing to those who are dominant in the function you're seeking.
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by inumbra View Post

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    You know, this is an interesting concept.

For a long time I self-typed Ne-dom. I think, though, that it was more about me being enamored with the thought of being Ne-dom, than me actually being good at it (and a number of people on the forum had actually commented on my apparent lack thereof over the years). Over time i started perceiving (somewhat painfully) that I'm only "good" at Ne when i'm working or interacting with someone who is good at it. and once i am left to my own devices or stuck with someone who devalues Ne, I'm actually not so great at it. Whether it's DS-weak or HA-weak, i'm not totally sure at the moment.

What I also realized through this mental exercise was that I gravitate a lot to people with creative & interesting ideas, particularly if they suit a broad field of interest I have (which is often Si-related, such as sleep, nutrition, etc). However, coming up with specific novel research ideas, i have a lot of trouble with. I also worry some about people thinking i'm boring (I personally dont feel that i am boring, because i'm usually not bored and i like my lifestyle the way it is, but i feel self-conscious about it to some degree); i guess i worry about it more in the context of conversation than in lifestyle. So I really appreciate it when an interlocutor brings up some interesting topics that then we can discuss, and not depend on me to do it -- i can certainly enthusiastically reciprocate conversation once that happens. Sometimes i can spearhead an interesting topic though, it's not an absolute; i just feel a little self-conscious about it. I also get kind of annoyed when people are inflexible to possibilities; i come across such people with some frequency on a daily basis; that may simply reflect Ne-valuing though, perhaps.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Fall in love first, type later. If socionics doesn't predict a good long-term relationship, screw it and check enneagram. If enneagram does not make for a good match-up either, declare yourself an exception to the rule and enjoy your relationship (at least you will have an explanation of why your PoLR feels a bit battered occasionally).
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    Fall in love first, type later. If socionics doesn't predict a good long-term relationship, screw it and check enneagram. If enneagram does not make for a good match-up either, declare yourself an exception to the rule and enjoy your relationship (at least you will have an explanation of why your PoLR feels a bit battered occasionally).

I agree, but socionics isn't just about love though... in fact i'd say the majority of socionics dynamics happen outside of a romantic interaction.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suz View Post
    I agree, but socionics isn't just about love though... in fact i'd say the majority of socionics dynamics happen outside of a romantic interaction.
    Make friends first, type later. If socionics doesn't predict a good long-term relationship, screw it and check enneagram. If enneagram does not make for a good match-up either, declare yourself an exception to the rule and enjoy your friendship (at least you will have an explanation of why your PoLR feels a bit battered occasionally).
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Make friends first, type later. If socionics doesn't predict a good long-term relationship, screw it and check enneagram. If enneagram does not make for a good match-up either, declare yourself an exception to the rule and enjoy your friendship (at least you will have an explanation of why your PoLR feels a bit battered occasionally).
    ^_^

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    If someone is Si leading and enneagram 7 it may appear superficially so, for example

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by inumbra View Post
    lol

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suz View Post
    ^_^
    I actually just realized that my post was entirely unrelated to this thread.
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually just realized that my post was entirely unrelated to this thread.
    But important reminders, nonetheless.