Thread: Introversion/Extraversion

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Introversion/Extraversion

I'm a bit confused about how socionics defines introversion and extraversion. Why should being dominant in an introverted function make you an introvert? Would being e.g. an Si subtype of ESE make you less of an extrovert than if you were an Fe subtype of ESE? Are the introverted functions actually 'introverted' by and of themselves, or is it the specific order of all the functions that point to I or E?
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    I'm a bit confused about how socionics defines introversion and extraversion. Why should being dominant in an introverted function make you an introvert?
    Because that's the case, by definition. Perhaps the issue is what you call "an introvert?"

Would being e.g. an Si subtype of ESE make you less of an extrovert than if you were an Fe subtype of ESE?
    It depends on which interpretation of subtypes you're talking about.

Are the introverted functions actually 'introverted' by and of themselves, or is it the specific order of all the functions that point to I or E?
    In model A, this question is not really disconnected from the first one, as all the functions are interconnected. For instance, if you have as base, then you can only have or as 6th function. And so on.

To answer your question: in socionics, if you have an introverted function as base function, you are an introvert. More specifically, your base function is connected to - or defines - your temperament, because it's your chief window to reality.

Now, being a socionics "introvert" does not mean that you will be "introverted" in the sense of "not socially outgoing".
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    It depends on which interpretation of subtypes you're talking about.
    Could you point me to somewhere where I can read about the different interpretations?
    Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    Now, being a socionics "introvert" does not mean that you will be "introverted" in the sense of "not socially outgoing".
    I guess what I wanted to know was whether, socionically speaking, you can divide people into 'introverts' and 'extroverts' based on certain qualities - without taking into account their functions - and if so, what are those qualities?

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's important not to see social introversion and extroversion as being related to Socionics introversion and extroversion (though I will say that I definitely get along best with social introverts).
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could you point me to somewhere where I can read about the different interpretations?
    http://wikisocion.org/en/index.php?t...e_descriptions

There you have two sets of descriptions.

There is another interpretation, which sort of answers your question, according to which a difference in subtype has no effect on the temperament including extroversion/introversion.

I guess what I wanted to know was whether, socionically speaking, you can divide people into 'introverts' and 'extroverts' based on certain qualities - without taking into account their functions - and if so, what are those qualities?
    Look here:

http://wikisocion.org/en/index.php?title=Temperament

Where introverts are IJ and IP, and extroverts, EJ and EP.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks Expat and Glamourama :-)