Thread: P/J ?! (Or some bizzare hybred)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default P/J ?! (Or some bizzare hybred)

Alright, so you seem like a bright lot Hopefully I can pick your brain for a second on my dilemma here.

Holistically speaking, I am most definitely an ENTp by profile. However, when it comes to scoring P/J I feel like on that individual topic I am a product of both.

Obviously, this last dichtomy has a lot to do with effecting the other dichotomies and I've heard that I must be either one or the other, but I feel like I'm hybred of P/J. Plus, my (long-term) boyfriend is an ISFp. If you know inter-type we're talking about the difference between being one anothers duals (an ideal relationship) versus being one another's conflicting partner (the least ideal relationship), so needless to say, I'm really interested in this discrepancy.

This is how I see my P/J thought process. It seems to me kind of J and then P and then Both J and P.

I think to myself about the various possibilities available the positive/negative aspects of each.

Then I start to work with the current situation. Who is involved, what do they like, what do I like. Basically, I try and help assess the path that results in the most amount of happiness for the most amount of people and go with whatever path works in that way.

Then once an activity/ project/ event (or whatever is going on) gets going I tend to repeat this process as things progress. a) reflecting/considering multiple options/ planning but still b) considering which plans will likely work best given the situation.

Essentially, it seems to me like I'm (internally) construct multiple possibilities in a J fashion. But, in external application, do so in more of a P way.

(When it comes to follow through, I do so out of obligation, I definitely have more fun starting projects and planning the theory behind the projects than meeting deadlines and seeing them through. But, I'm in the last years of my BA, so I have to )

Like I said, I am an ENTp by profile, not an ENTj. But, there are definitely some strong J factors at play here

Any thoughts?

...by the way, my apologies if this is kinda inarticulate.
    ~*ENTp*~

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you and your boyfriend get along?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by qbsirena06 View Post
    How do you and your boyfriend get along?
    Good question. When we get along, we get along very very well. We are both very playful and life-loving. He is so incredibly knowledgeable and has helped me develop a love for history. From dating him I've definitely became a better listener and a more patient person. When I think about it, I can't pinpoint exactly what he loves about me. But, I know that I make him feel useful and loved, and that seems to go such a long way with him.

However, when we fight...it's a total disaster. Our communication styles are polar opposites. I talk too much and verbalize exactly what I'm thinking in a direct way. (Although, I have become much more patient and much more tactful from knowing him). He hates confrontation, will say very little (muttered under his breathe) and it takes forever to get anything out of him. It feels like we never ever resolve disagreements. I think the only thing that gets us through these disasters is the mutual knowledge that the other person means well combined with patience.

In short, it's a very loving and mutually supportive relationship that we have both learned from. But, when it rains, it pours.
    ~*ENTp*~

Don't forget the the thehotelambush's Avatar
    TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What you're describing sounds like Fe (you) vs. Fi (him) values. Can you describe yourself in general more? I'm still considering other Fe quadra types. J/P is kind of a difficult dichotomy to see in practice, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
    Last edited by thehotelambush; 06-03-2008 at 03:06 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Preference vs. practice

Quote Originally Posted by ifmd95 View Post
    A rational Ne type such as an INTj will typically consider and evaluate not quite as many possibilities. They will place more emphasis on the construction part. In that vein, IJ types are known for creating a smaller number of permanant structures. EP's, a greater number of more temporary ones. What you've said here sounds more EP than IJ.

Time-criticalness and follow-through more EJ + NT. The ENTj's creative function is Ni. Ni is less concerned with possibilities and more concerned with pre-established goals (Se). If Ni types consider possibilities (all intuitives have strong Ne) it will more likely be to troubleshoot the path they've already chosen. An ENTj will prefer doing this. Preferring instead creating new plans does sound more EP than EJ.

i have come to think of rationality/irrationality in terms of the first being more concerned with more permanant objectives -- whether they are logical structures or goals elsewhere in life. which is a bit different from more MBTI-like definitions of p/j you might have read.
    I want to thank you for such a thoughtful consideration of my situation. It seems like you really know your stuff and I appreciate you taking that step from *thinking* about a response to actually *writing* a response (because it takes all the more effort).

I tend to create a greater number of temporary structures, which like you said is more EP than IJ.

When it come to troubleshooting the path I've already created vs creating new plans (EJ tendencies vs EP as you said) I still feel that I do both of these. I consider the positive and negative results of the options and choose the one that will yield the greatest benefit.

Something you said here has struck a chord with me. You mentioned
    Preferring instead creating new plans does sound more EP than EJ.
    . I definitely prefer, brainstorming and creating new plans, I enjoy it thoroughly. But, in practice I consistently will make the decision which seems to make the most sense. If this means staying on track, following an agenda and forcing my way through it, I will.

What you've said has led me to believe that my personal preferences lay within the ENTp profile, but that in practice I have learned to encorporate the functional J

On another note, I'll look more into the differences between MBTi and socionics. (I'm quite familiar with MBTi, but new to socionics). This post will definitely give me some things to think about, so thanks a lot

Angela
    ~*ENTp*~