Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Megaman X from the Standpoint of Dual-type Theory

It's been established for a while here that the videogame character Megaman X (who I presume everyone has heard of) is an INFp type. After long and careful consideration, I've reached the conclusion that his exertion type is ISTj.

I believe this because his response to the chaos around him is to question why he must fight -- he readily concedes that he must. The purpose of the fighting -- for that matter, any fighting -- is to take control of one's own surroundings and reshape them to suit ones' self. It is the conflict which arises from the attempts by people with different views to do just this which leads to aggression and violence. But why must people fight one another? Supersocion theory promises concrete answers to these questions, because supersocion theory is, being my creation, an LII's reflections on the choices people make due to limitations of their own potential, and the emotional constants which are reflected in these choices. It is the limitations in people to process each others' information, which leads to dischordant choices of action between them and thus, to conflict and that which is shaped by it. An exertion LSE like X, is quite unaware of those limitations because they are too busy fighting on basis of them to really pay attention to their expression. (the same probably applies to a majority of the players of Megaman X games, which are heavy on action and, apart from those philosophical questionings by X, low on story).
    Last edited by tcaudilllg; 06-02-2008 at 02:52 AM.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hostage_Child View Post
    You deprived child. In any case, wonderful game. X IEI, huh? Never knew. I might investigate that.
    There was a thread about it in What's My Type a while back.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really just wanted to say this thread has an excellent title.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.

I pity your souls

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've reached additional conclusions about X and Co. First, X.

X is a passive immanent who does not believe in fighting others for any reason save self-defense. This in itself is hardly a fault, however his trait of immanence, which is empirically due to his programming design by Dr. Light that he would never harm a human being. (apparently only a passive immanent program could yeild the trait) By chaining the thoughts of X , Dr. Light limited the adaptibility of X. Light envisioned X as a prototype for what he hoped would an improved version of the childlike, validation-incapable worker robots (like Megaman) that were already in use at the time of X's creation. However, Light poorly understood the nature of the technology he was using, and did not give warning as to what its further expansion could yeild. Ignorantly, mankind replicated its own psychology to the fullest extent, and unleashed its own shadow in a new guise.

This shadow found expression in Sigma. Sigma had been programmed to resist the Maverick tendency (the urge in reploids to rebell against human control), but this programming meant a bias against political expression of any kind and an X-like resistance to going against humans. But politics lies not in programming, but in the very nature of information itself -- it is always a matter of systems which self-regulate versus systems that do not. The only way to program a being of free will to avoid dischord is to endow them with a blind enthusiasm for social unity. Healthy personalities are social as a matter of preferred function -- they do not express "enthusiasm" for society. Personality disordered types, however, aspire to find social outlets for subconscious human drives. To create a leader who would hunt Mavericks of their own vocation, Sigma's creators had to give him strong command of his own instincts -- he was to be a fighting robot exclusively -- coupled with a disposition to see that which thwarted objective social goals in as negative a light as possible. (the trait of confrontational immanence) Sigma was not intended to argue with his superiors, and so his capacity for transcendent functioning was deliberately shut off. However, the Maverick Virus allowed Sigma to embrace the desire for a social utopia in service to his own, heavily biased instincts. This was the beginning of the Maverick Rebellion.

Dr. Wily created the Maverick Virus specifically to program the transcendent function in Reploids that he knew would not be programmed with it due to its reliance on the id for subjective validation. Perhaps because of hatred for Light's pacificism, Wily created Zero and programmed him with the trait of confrontational immanence. (we've never yet heard the whole story). There is a point in Megaman X4, when Wily appears in Zero's dreams and discusses Zero's purpose as a symbol of the conflict between him and Light, saying that it was the conflict with gave him validation. Zero himself often chides X for being too pacifistic for his own good. Zero supplants X through his confrontational immanence -- we do not see the full extent of his extremism because he is ideologically aligned with X. In light of their relationship, there does seem to be a duality between confrontation and pacificism as psychological dispositions.

By the end of the series, all three immanents acheive psychological resolution. It is implied in Megaman Zero 2 that X eventually came to grips with the need to impress his will in a way that risked being oppressive: he participated in the creation of the anti-Maverick antibody Mother Elf, and atoned for his sin against his own kind -- which faced extinction when and if humans chose to retire the reploid race -- by containing the Mother Elf in his own body. X lingered for a while as an existence like that of the Mother Elf, but his time was cut short by the confrontational immanent reploid Elpizo, who hated X for his role in destroying the Maverick virus and with it, the self-validation Reploids needed to fight for their own survival. During his elf-life, X was something akin to omnipresent, watching Zero, who had been revived after a long self-dormancy (as penance for his role in spreading the Maverick Virus), bring to resolution the conflict which he himself never could never fully solve. In a way, watching Zero represented a sort of coming to terms with X's own contempt for confrontation, something he could only see after having himself risked committing Zero's selfsame sin.

Sigma's role in the series is believed to have ended in Megaman X8, after his final defeat on the moon. Sigma had orchestrated the Jakob Project which promised a new beginning for humanity on the moon, to be served by Reploids that could change their forms at will. These reploids copied Sigma's DNA data and thus, gained the capacity to go maverick at will. Their leader Lumine surpassed Sigma and achieved Sigma's dream of a world that gave equal balance to both Reploid will and human intention. As is like for a confrontational immanent shadow type, Sigma achieved this triumph by daring to be passive; by his own words, Sigma took X's words about "justice" to heart and determined that if he were to offer humanity a new world completely of his own conception, then he should by right have dominion over it. This is an interpretation of -Fi willingly submitting to +Fi in return for +Fi's submission to -Fi, twisted in reflection of Sigma's shadow LIE pathos.

Zero's fate is itself a surprising twist to the saga of the immanent, but its ending nonetheless has a familiar ring. The leader of the push to destroy the reploid race is Dr. Wiel, a human who was for reasons unexplained transformed into a cyborg. Dr. Wiel probably projected his contempt for his cybernetic fate -- a corruption of his own form (Wiel himself had a corrupt "destroyer" trait of matching + with -, his own existence as a cyborg attesting to the unity of "human" subject and "mechanical" object in his own mind) -- onto the reploid race as a whole, and saw in their destruction a sense of salvation for himself. If he were to destroy the reploids, he would have overcome by force of conviction the reploid past whcih had created him (a collective human sin) and become thereby a savior who would be welcomed again into the human race. The irony of this picture, as with any confrontational immanant's psychological development, is that Zero was forced to fight -- and kill -- a human being. This would not be a big deal, were it not that Zero had previously killed countless reploids whose only crime was the Maverick tendency to rebell against human rule. Zero had, subjective justifications aside, violated his own iron-clad rule, and no less, been an unwitting hypocrite for as long as he had struggled against Wiel. Zero triumphs in the end, however, by recognizing that he was only fighting in self defense of a cause greater than himself (for humans as well as for reploids), thus reconciling the competing tendencies for objectivity with subjectivity and perhaps completing his own psychological evolution. Zero dies defending both human and reploid interests by destroying Weil's destructive satellite before it can fire, at the cost of his own death from re-entry into earth's atmosphere.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Umm, for those of you who care and haven't read tcaudillg's block of text yet: spoiler alert for the above.

I pity your souls

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elro View Post
    Umm, for those of you who care and haven't read tcaudillg's block of text yet: spoiler alert for the above.
    Actually I was assuming the reader had read the entire Wikipedia article series on Megaman X from the link I offered. The purpose of the post was to put the events of the series in context with supersocion theory, which offers a lot of insight into the fundamental motives of the characters. Personally I was initially disturbed to learn that the series was all but over, and X and Zero were both dead. (I didn't make out the meaning of Zero 4 when I finished it -- ignorant of the traits I was exposed to during it -- and Zero 2 and 3 were both too difficult for me to complete). Actually, I'm rather surprised by how very neatly those long, seemingly unrelated "episodes" fit together into a very coherent whole. I guess the series creator knew what he doing, and had envisioned the whole thing in his mind...? Or maybe it was a team effort... still no way to say definitively how those very complex characterizations emerge from socionics relational interaction....

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I almost posted something hopelessly sarcastic here but then I realized it was a thread on the socionics type of a action/adventure video game character and I felt bad. Then I wrote that and thought it still sounded critical, but I posted it anyway and figured I'd inspect the aftermath tomorrow.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    I almost posted something hopelessly sarcastic here but then I realized it was a thread on the socionics type of a action/adventure video game character and I felt bad. Then I wrote that and thought it still sounded critical, but I posted it anyway and figured I'd inspect the aftermath tomorrow.
    Gah, I'll never forgive you for this horribly mean post, munenori2. How insensitive!

I pity your souls