Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 46

Thread: Possible phitypes for each IM type

  1. #1
    machintruc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    3,252
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Possible phitypes for each IM type

    I think, there are 9 phitypes that are possible for each IM type. I estimated it by dividing the Dunbar Number (150) by the number of IM Types.

    Approximately :

    Code:
    ILE +++ +0+ 0+- ++- +0-
    SEI +-- +0- --- -0- +-0 	
    ESE +00 ++0 +-0 00+ 0++ +-+ +0+ +++
    LII 00- 0+- 000 -00 -+0 -+- -0-
    EIE +00 +00 +-0 -+0 0++ 00+ +0+ +++ -+-
    LSI --+ -0+ 0-0 000 0-+ +-+ 	
    SLE -++ -0+ --+ +++ +0+ +-+ ++0 00+ 0-+
    IEI -+- -0- --- +-- +0- ++- 0-- 00- 0+-
    SEE +++ +0+ +-+ -++ -0+ 00+ 0++ ++0
    ILI 0-- 00- 0+- -+- -0- -+0 -00
    LIE 00+ 0++ -+0 0+- 000 0+0 -0+ -++ +++
    ESI -00 --0 -+0 000 0-0 +-0 0-+ --+ -0+ +-+
    LSE 0+0 000 00+ 0-+ -+0 -0+ -+- +-0
    EII 0-0 000 -00 -+0 00- 0+- -+- +0-
    IEE -++ -0+ +0+ +++ -+0 -+- 	
    SLI -00 --0 -+0 0-- 00- 0+- --+ 0-0 0-+ +--
    The upper list contains valid and non-valid combinations. Tell me if you know any :

    - missing valid combinations in the upper list
    - present non-valid combinations in the upper list
    Last edited by machintruc; 06-11-2008 at 08:12 PM. Reason: corrections for IEI

  2. #2
    Kristiina's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Estonia, Tartu
    Posts
    4,021
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    darn, I keep forgetting what I was... ++-? Or was it --+?
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

    Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

    Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

  3. #3
    normal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    nil
    TIM
    nil
    Posts
    975
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    what on earth is the Phitypes?

  4. #4
    machintruc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    3,252
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by normal View Post
    what on earth is the Phitypes?
    http://wikisocion.org/en/index.php?t...del_%CE%A6

    http://wikisocion.org/en/index.php?t...ser:Machintruc

    Quote Originally Posted by Kristiina View Post
    darn, I keep forgetting what I was... ++-? Or was it --+?
    I think you're ++0 or 0++.

  5. #5
    normal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    nil
    TIM
    nil
    Posts
    975
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Now I see. That's fun.

  6. #6
    ~~rubicon~~ Rubicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Chatbox
    TIM
    SEI, 9
    Posts
    5,268
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think I'm 00- (though the only one I'm sure about is the '-'). Is that possible for a SEI?
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

  7. #7
    Kristiina's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Estonia, Tartu
    Posts
    4,021
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by machintruc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristiina View Post
    darn, I keep forgetting what I was... ++-? Or was it --+?
    I think you're ++0 or 0++.
    Then I gotta be 0++ because that's EIE phitype.

    But that's sure a lot of pluses you're proposing. I was sure I had at least two minuses... Maybe i was just being REALLY pessimistic and then you just saw that I have no idea how bad things COULD be and thought I was + in stead.

    Oh wait-a-minute, is it really good to have a +?
    Serotonin - The more you have it, the more aggressive energy you have, right? Anger, aggreession, body temperature, sexuality... The less the better? Or actually intermediate is the best here.
    Norepinephrin - This is also aggression. This is the thing that makes some people sky-dive? Mhh... "Fight or flight" So some N+ types just get very strong fear reaction? Also having N+ would make people somewhat competitive? (that might just be testosterone in stead) Mhh, okay, I think I could be N+. Again, intermediate might be best here.
    Dopamine - motivation, energy, feeling of pleasure. I'd say I'm - or 0. With dopamine, the more the merrier, so D+ is the winner here. (except for a possible link between dopamine levels and gambling.)

    According to that, I'm more likely ++- or ++0. Still EIE though.
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

    Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

    Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

  8. #8
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,635
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kristiina View Post
    Then I gotta be 0++ because that's EIE phitype.

    But that's sure a lot of pluses you're proposing. I was sure I had at least two minuses... Maybe i was just being REALLY pessimistic and then you just saw that I have no idea how bad things COULD be and thought I was + in stead.

    Oh wait-a-minute, is it really good to have a +?
    Serotonin - The more you have it, the more aggressive energy you have, right? Anger, aggreession, body temperature, sexuality... The less the better? Or actually intermediate is the best here.
    Norepinephrin - This is also aggression. This is the thing that makes some people sky-dive? Mhh... "Fight or flight" So some N+ types just get very strong fear reaction? Also having N+ would make people somewhat competitive? (that might just be testosterone in stead) Mhh, okay, I think I could be N+. Again, intermediate might be best here.
    Dopamine - motivation, energy, feeling of pleasure. I'd say I'm - or 0. With dopamine, the more the merrier, so D+ is the winner here. (except for a possible link between dopamine levels and gambling.)

    According to that, I'm more likely ++- or ++0. Still EIE though.
    Btw a lot of serotonin is not conductive to anger or aggression or sexuality. In fact it is suppressive to all those three variables. Try to drink a lot of milk and I'm sure you'll feel peaceful and sleepy and not really in the mood for anything sexual.

    I agree with your desc of the other two
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  9. #9
    The Iniquitous inumbra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    954
    Posts
    5,989
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I suppose it's not impossible, but an LSE -+- seems odd to me...

  10. #10
    misutii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    1,234
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I suppose it's not impossible, but an LSE -+- seems odd to me...
    yah it does seem odd, a LSE that doesn't want to do anything (low dopamine) haha
    INFp-Ni

  11. #11
    machintruc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    3,252
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by misutii View Post
    yah it does seem odd, a LSE that doesn't want to do anything (low dopamine) haha
    There are LIE's with low dopamine level, but they still have dominant . They usually look like automats.

  12. #12
    machintruc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    3,252
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    I think I'm 00- (though the only one I'm sure about is the '-'). Is that possible for a SEI?
    N0 and D- are normal for a SEI, but Are you sure you're S+ ?

  13. #13
    ~~rubicon~~ Rubicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Chatbox
    TIM
    SEI, 9
    Posts
    5,268
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by machintruc View Post
    N0 and D- are normal for a SEI, but Are you sure you're S+ ?
    You mean S0? I'm definitely not S+. I could be S- though.

    It's hard to tell though. Seems to me like your serotonin level would change all the time depending on your mood and health.
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

  14. #14
    machintruc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    3,252
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    You mean S0? I'm definitely not S+. I could be S- though.

    It's hard to tell though. Seems to me like your serotonin level would change all the time depending on your mood and health.
    On a large scale, if you're SEI, you're more likely S- than S0.

  15. #15
    machintruc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    3,252
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kristiina View Post
    Then I gotta be 0++ because that's EIE phitype.

    But that's sure a lot of pluses you're proposing. I was sure I had at least two minuses... Maybe i was just being REALLY pessimistic and then you just saw that I have no idea how bad things COULD be and thought I was + in stead.

    Oh wait-a-minute, is it really good to have a +?
    Serotonin - The more you have it, the more aggressive energy you have, right? Anger, aggreession, body temperature, sexuality... The less the better? Or actually intermediate is the best here.
    Norepinephrin - This is also aggression. This is the thing that makes some people sky-dive? Mhh... "Fight or flight" So some N+ types just get very strong fear reaction? Also having N+ would make people somewhat competitive? (that might just be testosterone in stead) Mhh, okay, I think I could be N+. Again, intermediate might be best here.
    Dopamine - motivation, energy, feeling of pleasure. I'd say I'm - or 0. With dopamine, the more the merrier, so D+ is the winner here. (except for a possible link between dopamine levels and gambling.)

    According to that, I'm more likely ++- or ++0. Still EIE though.
    Actually, a lack of serotonin leads to confrontational behaviours, and an excess of norepinephrin leads to high-strungness.

    I'm N+, and I'm not competitive or aggressive. I'm just "strung".

  16. #16
    crazedrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    moon
    Posts
    4,885
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Can we be more than one phi-type ?!
    INTp

  17. #17
    machintruc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    3,252
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazedrat View Post
    Can we be more than one phi-type ?!
    No. You can't.

  18. #18
    ~~rubicon~~ Rubicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Chatbox
    TIM
    SEI, 9
    Posts
    5,268
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by machintruc View Post
    No. You can't.
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

  19. #19
    Kristiina's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Estonia, Tartu
    Posts
    4,021
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by machintruc View Post
    Actually, a lack of serotonin leads to confrontational behaviours, and an excess of norepinephrin leads to high-strungness.

    I'm N+, and I'm not competitive or aggressive. I'm just "strung".
    I know one ESE who is so high strung that if she gets excited about something her head might explode... fortunately for her she has a "cooling system". Whenever she gets excited, there's noise coming out of her mouth. "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"... you know, almost like the water-boiling teapots that start whistling when water is boiling. Only louder. MUCH louder!
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

    Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

    Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

  20. #20
    machintruc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    3,252
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kristiina View Post
    I know one ESE who is so high strung that if she gets excited about something her head might explode... fortunately for her she has a "cooling system". Whenever she gets excited, there's noise coming out of her mouth. "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"... you know, almost like the water-boiling teapots that start whistling when water is boiling. Only louder. MUCH louder!
    Many ESE's are like that. You know, N+ phitypes are mostly Extrotims.

  21. #21
    Twist-Tie Spider iAnnAu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Knoxhell TN
    Posts
    987
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Well, FWIW I'm SLI and I think I'm 0-+. So that works for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bukowski
    We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.
    SLI

  22. #22
    the Omniscient Nexus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    TIM
    INTp
    Posts
    1,408
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Dopamine allows you to focus on a specific task and is heavily involved in reward-processing pathways and goal-oriented behavior (S/N), is mimicked by speed (stimulant) and is inhibited by olanzapine (antipsychotic).

    Serotonin
    regulates sleep, moods, sexuality, appetite, anger, and 'love', and is responsible for preventing the repetition of a previously reinforced behavior (F/T), is released by ecstasy (stimulant/hallucinogen) and is absent during ecstasy withdrawal.

    Norepinephrine, or 'noradrenaline', triggers alertness and fight-or-flight responses (E/I), is aggregated by ephedrine (stimulant) and is inhibited by yohimbine (aphrodisiac).

    Also, realize that the neurotransmitters you have mentioned are all modulators and thus perform very different functions in different parts of the brain...for a detailed clarification of modulator functions (and especially feedback intermodulation) I highly recommend Joseph E. LeDoux's Synaptic Self.

    BTW have you ever empirically tested the supposed neurotransmitter concentrations you are implicating in this particular taxonomy? A priori, I agree with most of the serotonin typings, but I would think that 1 would be low on S (self-deploring sensitization) and high on D (reward-focused behavior)...also, current research supports the idea that risk-takers (7) have low concentrations of dopamine (or weak receptors) and so take risks to stabilize the deficiency...the model is fine (aside from the 27 subtypes) but the neurotransmitter association is pretty weak.
    Last edited by Nexus; 06-13-2008 at 12:44 AM.

  23. #23
    the Omniscient Nexus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    TIM
    INTp
    Posts
    1,408
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Btw a lot of serotonin is not conductive to anger or aggression or sexuality. In fact it is suppressive to all those three variables. Try to drink a lot of milk and I'm sure you'll feel peaceful and sleepy and not really in the mood for anything sexual.

    I agree with your desc of the other two
    That makes a lot of sense, serotonin helps to accommodate the unfocusing and acceptance associated with sleep, love, hunger, sex, and antidepressants (that's why 4,6=>S- and 2,9=>S+ makes sense to me; I guess it could be a measure of contentedness in general)...

  24. #24
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huitzilopochtli View Post
    Dopamine allows you to focus on a specific task and is heavily involved in reward-processing pathways and goal-oriented behavior (S/N), is released by cocaine (O_O) and is inhibited by olanzapine (antipsychotic).
    teehee
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

  25. #25
    machintruc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    3,252
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huitzilopochtli View Post
    Dopamine allows you to focus on a specific task and is heavily involved in reward-processing pathways and goal-oriented behavior (S/N), is mimicked by speed (stimulant) and is inhibited by olanzapine (antipsychotic).

    Serotonin
    regulates sleep, moods, sexuality, appetite, anger, and 'love', and is responsible for preventing the repetition of a previously reinforced behavior (F/T), is released by ecstasy (stimulant/hallucinogen) and is absent during ecstasy withdrawal.

    Norepinephrine, or 'noradrenaline', triggers alertness and fight-or-flight responses (E/I), is aggregated by ephedrine (stimulant) and is inhibited by yohimbine (aphrodisiac).
    Like Hitler was a thinker, and Gwen Stefani a flightly retard.

  26. #26
    the Omniscient Nexus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    TIM
    INTp
    Posts
    1,408
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    teehee


    Cocaine is a reuptake inhibitor for dopamine, serotonin, and noradrenalin, so you get a little of each...

    Quote Originally Posted by machintruc View Post
    Like Hitler was a thinker, and Gwen Stefani a flightly retard.


    What's your point?
    Last edited by Nexus; 06-13-2008 at 04:20 PM.

  27. #27
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,635
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huitzilopochtli View Post
    BTW have you ever empirically tested the supposed neurotransmitter concentrations you are implicating in this particular taxonomy? A priori, I agree with most of the serotonin typings, but I would think that 1 would be low on S (self-deploring sensitization) and high on D (reward-focused behavior)...also, current research supports the idea that risk-takers (7) have low concentrations of dopamine (or weak receptors) and so take risks to stabilize the deficiency...the model is fine (aside from the 27 subtypes) but the neurotransmitter association is pretty weak.
    Interestingly, notice how the types that in the enneagram are thought to be the most risk-taking (leaving aside cp6 for now as an exception) are the aggressive triad - 3,7,8 - which are also thought to be high on dopamine. Also notice how 7s are described as being the most likely to e-type to get addicted to -insert name of molecule here-, which would reinforce the hypothesis of them being high on dopamine. Still your point on risk-taking behavior being characteristic of low dopamine holds. So the results are uncertain. We can also notice that 7s are both described as quick-learners and as attention-deficit prone, which are contrasting properties if we try to connect them to dopamine level.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  28. #28
    The Iniquitous inumbra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    954
    Posts
    5,989
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'm wondering if there's

    A

    your natural neurotransmitter balance... so --+ for instance doesn't mean you're deficient in S or N... only that your overall make-up works in this way... your natural mode of being is S- N- D+.

    vs. B

    whether due to diet or some heath issue you have an imbalance in your neurotransmitters that is screwing up your natural way of being and thus leading you to behaviors that try to account for (correct) the imbalance.

    So if you're --+, AND your system has a dopamine imbalance, this doesn't change your default "phi-type" ... you're still --+. But it does put you in the position of trying to correct the imbalance (in a way that you perhaps wouldn't if you were, say -+- and your natural state is low dopamine)... hence risk-seeking behavior.

    -----------------------------

    Low dopamine (as a natural state) =/= Dopamine imbalance

  29. #29
    The Iniquitous inumbra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    954
    Posts
    5,989
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Maybe it's sort of the question of... your phi-type tends to be the type you operate best at (so when you are healthy, the way you are then will match up with your phi-type).

    For instance, I think my most healthy way of operating is D-. Yes my dopamine is low, but I don't need or want any more. I wouldn't work well if it weren't low. It would be too much of a physical sort of energy... I wouldn't be able to contain it with my make-up as it is. (or so I imagine) I might admire it from a far, but that's different.

  30. #30
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,635
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Very good points Loki, I agree
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  31. #31
    crazedrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    moon
    Posts
    4,885
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    this whole idea is stupid. if you wanted to use neurotransmitters to talk about personality accurately, you couldn't do it with a three symbol notation. it would be more like this: ....S+0--+-00-++-+---N=+-000-+_)+-0=-0=-)+_)D=-0=-)+_S)D_+F0=-sd0f you get the point.
    INTp

  32. #32
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think I am probably -+- . I was at first inclined to think 0+- or ++-, but my moods are way too unstable and my focus far too poor to be anything but S-. Most people who have needed antidepressants should probably consider an S- type, no?
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

  33. #33

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,687
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    I think I am probably -+- . I was at first inclined to think 0+- or ++-, but my moods are way too unstable and my focus far too poor to be anything but S-. Most people who have needed antidepressants should probably consider an S- type, no?
    sounds about right, considering the way SSRIs work

  34. #34
    crazedrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    moon
    Posts
    4,885
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    perhaps, but then we wouldn't be able to talk about it at all... it's an over-simplification yes... but I still find it interesting to explore... exploring it doesn't mean it is meant as a be all and end all explanation, or that it is meant as a pillar of accuracy.

    it's sort of like the valence model in chemistry... it's presented in intro chemistry and taught... but it's an over-simplification. it's there as a tool to help you understand, even though it is an over-simplification of quantum chemistry.

    taking the root of something and using it as a simplification, keeps in line with the overall essence even if it undermines its complexity. it's accurate in terms of the essence of it, and largely inaccurate in other ways.
    okay, so why not instead of
    "I'm S-", say... "I'm kinda sluggish".
    Or instead of saying "I'm N+" just say "I'm a bit anxious"..
    Whats with the wording?
    It's like taking an idea, and assigning it a symbol... but by doing this, you remove the possibility for further elaboration on the idea. This is pointless.
    More then this, the particular symbol being used in this case suggests causation which is unfounded (mach has no idea about the brain chemistry involved in what is being described). So why make this a brain chemistry issue at all?

    Like imagine if a group of people got together, and they sat down and said to eachother "instead of saying we're hungry for pizza, now we're all just gonna say the word "FLAMBALA"". And now everyone in that circles goes FLAMBALA! ... this is a useless activity, and it is a waste of time. Not only can they no longer communicate to anyone outside their circle, but FLAMBALA says nothing on what type of pizza they want to eat.

    Even stupider then that, would be if the people in the circle sat down and said "okay.. instead of saying "i'm hungry for pizza", now we're gonna say "I want to sleep".. and that means "I'm hungry for pizza".
    K... now that is kind of what is happening here.
    If the first example was stupid, the second is alot more stupid.
    INTp

  35. #35
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,635
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazedrat View Post
    okay, so why not instead of
    "I'm S-", say... "I'm kinda sluggish".
    Or instead of saying "I'm N+" just say "I'm a bit anxious"..
    Whats with the wording?
    Because the S-N-D wording is more synthetic: saying "sluggish" or "anxious" is saying only one property of the whole set connected to S-N-D, because being S- does not only imply sluggishness but also a variety of other traits; the same could be said for every other neurotransmitter.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  36. #36
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Why would you try to tell other people what not to do when it has no effect on you? It's like a bunch of people are having a discussion while you pass by on the street and you stop and say "SHUT THE FUCK UP!" just because you think what they're talking about is stupid. Isn't that awfully pedantic?
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

  37. #37
    the Omniscient Nexus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    TIM
    INTp
    Posts
    1,408
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Why would you try to tell other people what not to do when it has no effect on you? It's like a bunch of people are having a discussion while you pass by on the street and you stop and say "SHUT THE FUCK UP!" just because you think what they're talking about is stupid. Isn't that awfully pedantic?
    Isn't that exactly what you are doing to crazedrat (unless of course you are saying that being pedantic isn't stupid, and if it is then I am unable to understand your point)?

  38. #38
    crazedrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    moon
    Posts
    4,885
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Because the S-N-D wording is more synthetic: saying "sluggish" or "anxious" is saying only one property of the whole set connected to S-N-D, because being S- does not only imply sluggishness but also a variety of other traits; the same could be said for every other neurotransmitter.
    So... you are devising a way to be wrong, but still feel right? lol

    Like with the word FLAMBALLA meaning "I want pepperoni pizza in an hour". If I want mushroom and sausage pizza in two hours.. I just have to say that like normal. Or I can say Flamballa minus pepperoni plus mushroom plus sausage plus 1 hour. The whole activity of making up a word for a big group of words is pointless, because it only draws you further away from expressing specific points, and you can only rightly use the word in its perfect circumstance.
    This makes you chronically wrong .. (i.e., the things mach are describing have either nothing to do with neurotransmitters in reality, or only are partially relevent to neurotransmitters)
    Last edited by crazedrat; 06-14-2008 at 10:00 PM.
    INTp

  39. #39
    crazedrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    moon
    Posts
    4,885
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Why would you try to tell other people what not to do when it has no effect on you? It's like a bunch of people are having a discussion while you pass by on the street and you stop and say "SHUT THE FUCK UP!" just because you think what they're talking about is stupid. Isn't that awfully pedantic?
    That's actually kind of an interesting thing to say.. you know, allowing people to exist and stuff, and being mentally at peace with their existing in whatever form may be. but then at the same time your replying to me contradicts what you are saying. like if you saw the guy walk down the street screaming STFU! and you just had to stop and say.. hey dude, STFU on the STFUs!.. that doesnt make sense either. but whatever, I get what you're saying.. the implications of what you are saying would be that everyone would have to stop... talking. Or saying anything that has relevence to anyone else, and what they should be/ do in relation to you. that makes sense but only in the most morally ideal world, but i'm not sure if you are capable of imagining such a world; and even so, it doesn't exist.
    Last edited by crazedrat; 06-14-2008 at 10:02 PM.
    INTp

  40. #40
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    You are taking this way too far I guess I am being a little hypocritical by telling you to not tell people what to do, but unless you really derive some strange pleasure out of telling people what to do and think about, I don't really see how I'm actually making the problem worse.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •