SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default the afterlife

What's there?
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Creepy-bg

the first person to make a "72 virgins" joke dies.

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    It's such a mysterious concept; maybe there is heaven, maybe our spirit will connect back with the universe, maybe we'll just become worm food.
    I believe it's all three

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    What's there?
    I'd say probably nothing, but have no reason in particular for thinking that (actually I guess because I don't remember anything before I was born, which makes sense since I didn't have a brain, or at least not this one). I'll find out when I get there, I suppose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.

I pity your souls

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by Elro View Post
    I'd say probably nothing, but have no reason in particular for thinking that (actually I guess because I don't remember anything before I was born, which makes sense since I didn't have a brain, or at least not this one). I'll find out when I get there, I suppose.
    have you ever tried to follow your memories back to see what's there? the furthest I've gotten is- warm, muffled, and red (quite possibly imagination and not memory, but the difference isn't all that clear anyways) Any further than that though and I detach and become an observer of myself/the process... third person... or whatever.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't BELIEVE anything on this subject (nor have I done any reading on this subject since leaving the cult I grew up in), but a few notions I toss around are:
    • Perhaps we come from a collective consciousness (universal knowledge, sort of) and we will return to it once we release ourselves from our physical existences. I dislike this idea, for some reason. Perhaps because it goes against the self-preservation instinct?
    • Perhaps we retain our individuality when we are not in physical form. If such is the case (and maybe if it isn't), the creation of our physical lives is done according our choosing. From there, we either decide the circumstances we will be born into, or our non-physical selves are on a path of personal growth and development (or regression, or stagnation?) which determine the physical manifestations we end up in (our lives).
    The latter makes more sense to me at present.

In any case, I can say that I do not believe that there is an external/outside deity that judges us according how we lived our lives (or in any other way). Our judges are the natural cause and effect relationships that create our circumstances.

I also think it makes sense (as much sense as any of this at least) that there are other species/worlds/dimensions that we could physically manifest ourselves into.
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also... since time may not exist in a spiritual plane the same way it does here, I don't see why we couldn't have manifested ourselves into multiple people/places/whatever at the same time (according to our understanding of time).
    SEE

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat View Post
    have you ever tried to follow your memories back to see what's there? the furthest I've gotten is- warm, muffled, and red (quite possibly imagination and not memory, but the difference isn't all that clear anyways) Any further than that though and I detach and become an observer of myself/the process... third person... or whatever.
    I actually remember redness too, although nothing else. I kind of wonder if I'm confusing watching Look Who's Talking with what actually happened, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.

I pity your souls

Creepy-bg

In any case, I can say that I do not believe that there is an external/outside deity that judges us according how we lived our lives (or in any other way). Our judges are the natural cause and effect relationships that create our circumstances.
    I know it's a matter of what you were brought up in, but I find the concept of God as judge very distasteful and wrong feeling. God is love to me, not judgement.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know it's a matter of what you brought up in, but I find the concept of God as judge very distasteful and wrong feeling. God is love to me, not judgement.
    Is God our creator?
    SEE

Creepy-bg

Is God our creator?
    yes and no, my belief is that there is no seperation between us and God... it all becomes one at that level... using imagery, I see an infinitely huge ball of light... smaller balls of light flitter around it... join with it, become one... some shoot back out of it for a time to experience being on their own. We are the little balls of light, God is the infinitely huge ball of light. but really it's all the same thing. In other words we are the stuff of God. We all come back to the infinate ball at some point, just as we all leave it at some point.

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent!

Shit, I've probably just contradicted myself there. I probably even ripped it off from someone else.

I think those who believe in an afterlife overestimate their importance! When I die, I want to be inhumed, as this I will provide more fodder for the worms than being burnt. Though with the ever increasing population of this planet in mind, I would hate to be a waste of space...perhaps I'll reconsider.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes and no, my belief is that there is no seperation between us and God... it all becomes one at that level... using imagery, I see an infinitely huge ball of light... smaller balls of light flitter around it... join with it, become one... some shoot back out of it for a time to experience being on their own. We are the little balls of light, God is the infinitely huge ball of light. but really it's all the same thing. In other words we are the stuff of God. We all come back to the infinate ball at some point, just as we all leave it at some point.
    That sounds like how I tend to think of God... but it's not exactly a description of a deity though.
    SEE

Creepy-bg

That sounds like how I tend to think of God... but it's not exactly a description of a deity though.
    yeah, I don't think of God as a deity as described in the bible or whatnot... more of an attractor. What we percieve as "God" or "Deity", what's described in holy and spiritual texts, is the "gravitational" pull of the "light" acting on us and our "world"... our minds personifies it because that's an easy way to swallow it.

(whew! that was alot of words in quotes )

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I believe in a Lifeforce...when you see the life drain out of a person until they become a dead form of themselves, it is clear that they have lost something which had once made something live.

Take the analogy of a battery attached to an Light Emitting Diode. The Light Emitting Diode glows for so long before eventually running of electricity.

Actually, when I put it like that, the Lifeforce I initially described doesn't seem so profound. The electricity has no Meaning.

I don't believe in god, but when I see the intelligent flicker in my eyes as I gaze longingly into a mirror, I'm not sure. "How could anything so wonderful be a mere mortal?", I say to myself. Others claimed I was an Egotist, but I did't respect their opinions. They didn't know me like I know me. I've never been like other Boys.

Once I broke a mirror in frustration...it broke into a million pieces. My Immortality was just an illusion.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is God our creator?
    I like to believe that someone or something (possibly human) in this reality we inhabit creates everything.

Maybe at the end of the world we start ourselves. I know it's a paradox but I think that makes it interesting.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I hope (dot dot dot) vague sentiment. Expression of cheerful hopefulness!

Or pessimistic thoughts...set to an electro beat! Making millions from misery! Die rich...die happy?

The good die young...retirement homes are full of bastards.

Better to burn out than to fade away. That Radiohead track 'Fitter Happier'. Ramblings due to drug consumption? No, psychotic from birth! Birth...Death...Forwards, never Backwards!

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean View Post

or pessimistic thoughts...set to an electro beat! Making millions from misery! Die rich...die happy?

Better to burn out than to fade away. That Radiohead track 'Fitter Happier'. Ramblings due to drug consumption? No, psychotic from birth! Birth...Death...Forwards, never Backwards!
    if you plant ice you're going to harvest wind.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, I don't think of God as a deity as described in the bible or whatnot... more of an attractor. What we percieve as "God" or "Deity", what's described in holy and spiritual texts, is the "gravitational" pull of the "light" acting on us and our "world"... our minds personifies it because that's an easy way to swallow it.

same here
    SEE

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i dont really see a reason to say that it goes that way -- that the personification came because of our minds -- rather than the other way around. for me, something religious should contain something that encompasses every bit of existence. just because a phenomenon is explained by something else doesn't mean that the phenomenon itself doesn't exist. or something. I think this rationalization itself came from our minds. the ability to abstract is just one more facility that humans have to understand things, and doesn't mean that it is false.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amen Bionicgoat! That's how i see it too.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i like it, i like it

some of my friends in my "spiritual" circles say "I Am Spirit in Nori clothes."

one way i like to look at it is that a "piece" of Spirit (me) came into physical form to play here and experience what the manifestation of life on earth is about. there are so many different things to experience and we each came here with our own "game" to play.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We came here to enjoy ourselves.
    SEE

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

joy, i know your words are exactly what i mean, but there isn't any joy IN THEM. ?? i know you have it in you. where, in what medium, do you let it come out? if you don't mind me asking...

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mostly irl when I'm talking about something that I'm interested in.
    SEE

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mostly irl when I'm talking about something that I'm interested in.
    ok, cool. then, i will imagine you and i talking irl when i read your posts and know we are having super duper enjoyment, magnetically attracting more and more and better and better!

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SEE

Creepy-bg

I think that blanket reasons like that are wrong. Some of us came here to enjoy ourselves, some to grow, some to work, some to experience suffering, some to try to lessen the suffering of others... etc... the reasons for being are as numerous as the beings themselves.
    Last edited by bg; 05-23-2008 at 07:23 AM.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean View Post

Or pessimistic thoughts...set to an electro beat! Making millions from misery! Die rich...die happy?

This sounds like a SOAD song, lol
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by dbmmama View Post
    some of my friends in my "spiritual" circles say "I Am Spirit in Nori clothes."

one way i like to look at it is that a "piece" of Spirit (me) came into physical form to play here and experience what the manifestation of life on earth is about. there are so many different things to experience and we each came here with our own "game" to play.
    YES!

+2

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that blanket reasons like that are wrong. Some of us came here to enjoy ourselves, some to grow, some to work, some to experience suffering, some to try to lessen the suffering of others... etc... the reasons for being are as numerous as the beings themselves.
    agreed. i think it helps to qualify things like this with "for me" or "to me." then we're saying what's true for us and not putting that truth on others.