Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Shadow Skill's Blackwind Diaz

Anyone ever seen this show? I discerned Diaz to be LII. This in itself did not make him interesting, however; what made him interesting was the fact that he dies in episode 21, defeated by Darkness.

It's interesting that Diaz offers defense as a strategy instead of attack, especially given that LII foreground Se is +. LII prefers offense in a conflict situation. For LII to rely on defense instead implies a use of -Se, because -Se discerns first the external assault (that which LII fears most) and suggests the need for a defense against the same.

It seems to me that Diaz's use of -Se in the foreground (as vunerable) allowed him to bring out the best in the people around him. (+Fi) This is seen when Gau rises up and defeats Darkness despite near mortal injury. Let us also consider that it was a mark of character to use defense instead of offense, suggesting that only by putting +Fi in the foreground (as role) could a defensive strategy be adopted.

This seems like a very complicated psychological situation that is well worth further investigation. I guess it goes without saying, but... it seems probable that the sacrificial mentality is one of the same. Diaz gives Darkness his soul, which Jung equated to the feeling in a logical person.

What does it mean to offer one's "soul"?

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg View Post
    What does it mean to offer one's "soul"?
    It basically means that you're an idiot.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Winterpark View Post
    It basically means that you're an idiot.
    Have you seen the show?

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you seen the show?
    I have seen your mom.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have seen your mom.
    I doubt that, but I have seen you be a jerk.

No one thinks you're funny, dude.

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I doubt that, but I have seen you be a jerk.
    There's not many jerks on earth that can compete with you. Accept my sincere admirations.

No one thinks you're funny, dude.
    No one thinks you're sane, pal.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's not many jerks on earth that can compete with you. Accept my sincere admirations.

No one thinks you're sane, pal.
    Go back to Delta.

No thanks man, your paltry +Fe attempts at manipulation are no match for my concrete knowledge. Get out of here.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LIIs: how can we best emulate Diaz's (fictional) example?

I've come to the conclusion that the difference between the passive and confrontational immanent types... is one of identification with either the subject or the object. The passive immanent identifies with the subject only (all + aspects); never the object. Likewise, the confrontational immanent identifies themselves with the object, never the subject.

Imagine someone defending our right to belief in our own truths apart from objective truth. Such a person would enrage Phaedrus, who identifies himself at least partially with objective truth. (most ILIs identify with neither the object nor the subject) Of course his truth is really subjective in the political sense, but that's beside the point.

The passive immanent always defends but avoids attack, lest they incarnate the object from someone's perspective. They consider this a sin of sorts, a stain on their character. (it breaks the Golden Rule, because they themselves would never want to be faced with the object) What they fight is inhuman, the same which the confrontational immanents identify with. By attacking the identification itself, the passive immanent "wounds" the confrontational immanent by default.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd been concerned about the role of passive immanents in the projection of the subconscious against consciousness, but the final episode of Shadow Skill set my concerns to rest.

In that episode, Diaz returns in a vision, explaining to Gau (the series co-protagonist) that living like a beast is in truth far purer than we might suspect. Beasts take only what they need, killing when only when they must. In this respect the beast sets an example for human kind. The passive immanent argues that we should live a life that is in essence very simple and noble, yet difficult to pin down with words.... The overriding them passive immanent philosophy is that one should avoid impressing oneself against anyone unduly, for any reason. One should live practically, and avoid impressing one's own ideological views on others unless we know these impositions not to be harmful. Like the beast, use only what you must and take only what you need.

I am convinced that this character, as presented, is well worth the intention of every LII here, and maybe every ILE. I would love to have a good, solid debate about the character of Blackwind Diaz.

In particular, I would like to discuss LII concepts of pride, because I think this is very much a problem for us even if we don't realize it.

This link has discussion material:
    http://www.tv-links.cc/anime/shadow-skills.htm

But besides the character, any information about past LIIs who have advocated a lifestyle of self-restraint would be appreciated; because right off, I can't think of any.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The key to Diaz' defeat of Darkness, lies in Darkness' own nature. Darkness, as he presents himself at the beginning of the fight, is +Fi that cannot understand persistent content. (phenomena) To LII, this is the anima: one's soul is that which is incomplete without ones' self to complete it. Like all young adult LIIs, Diaz was facing the problem of disagreement over motivations in people, and what their signals meant. Is the world this way because of this, or because of that? The answer is a little of both, but the need to reject temporarily viewpoints which do not immediately reconcile with one's own (until one fully understands one's own viewpoint) invariably leads to a lot of hurt feelings. The confrontational immanent absorbs this pain and uses it as the fuel for their obstinant rejection of other's ideas and views: they are the shadow of our own specializations. ("why should I trust in you if you will not trust my view", the confrontational immanent asks). In Diaz' case, many people fought him who would not accept his views, and he defeated them. He did thus on basis of his pride in his own views: he did not relent his viewpoints, and perhaps mistakenly adopted the confrontational immanent's stance. He learned through experience the limitations of this stance, and felt that his soul had been stained with the blood of those who he fought on behalf of his ideals. (and with good reason, for certainly the experience of losing those whom he fought had hardened the hearts of many and inflamed the distrust between ideals). In this sense Diaz' sacrifice was made for all LIIs, because the wager of his soul to the anima which he fought and inflamed demonstrated that one could indeed give anything to see the ideals united in common truth, even one's own life. That life could be given in the name of trust demonstrates to the anima the sincerity of the plea, for there can be no selfish motives in the man who is willing to give his life without certainty of a return. Thus by giving up his own life Diaz made peace with anima and won its everlasting trust. Similarly, for as long as Diaz is honored by progressivism and his ideals kept, the ideals will look favorably upon its adherents for the same.

Diaz immediately puts this unity to work derailing the anima's pursuit of Gau. The anima is party to the unity, but it is not the unity itself. It is, rather, subject to the unity. The unity is due to Diaz alone, who now owes nothing to anyone. Thus Diaz alone can use the unity to his advantage.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.youtube.com/v/QMj5U8HEAUk&hl=en

As regards Diaz' final move, it is an application of the unified contextual energies made possible by his syzygy. (divine union with the soul) His mind's unity is matched by that of his body's. Despite unity, however, the energies are divided over how to approach their common enemy. Thus none of these blows is sufficient for Diaz to break through Darkness' guard. (Darkness is the subconscious and thus, knows what's coming because Diaz doesn't). The flurry of disparate blows, however, is does give Diaz cover to launch his own strike. The style of this strike truely captures the nature of foreground transcendence: Diaz sacrifices his own body to use absolutely every single advantage available in the defeat of his opponent, regardless of their cost to himself. Only by giving up his own life -- by making the question of life vs death moot -- can he overcome the inhuman by using every single tactic there is. By such means is the object (the inhuman) truely overthrown, for only the self-irrelevant mindset can see that which would otherwise be rejected by consciousness in favor of its own immediate security.