Thread: Celebrating Delta Ambition

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Celebrating Delta Ambition

So recently delta ambition, or the supposed lack of it, has been getting some air-time. I don't get where this comes from. All the deltas I know are extremely ambitious individuals, particularly in terms of their personal dreams. Whether they achieve those dreams is something else (and hardly related to type I think - external factors play a huge role in that) but surely ambition refers to having those dreams. And I would like to take a stance on us definitely having them!

So lets celebrate delta ambitions! Share what your ambitions are. Or if you'd rather not, then maybe post an argument for why your type is ambitious. So next time someone harshes on delta's high achieving vibe, we can point them here and go guess what mate, you're off your nut.

I'll start.

I have two ambitions that I am trying to reconcile: I want to be a barrister and an academic. Regarding being a barrister, well, there is nothing like the adrenaline rush of standing up before a judge and pitting your mind against theirs to get the best outcome. You are right there at the coalface of where law is made, applied, interpreted. You are being effective and having an impact with every statement you make.

Then academia is also incredibly alluring: I see so many problems with the theory in my areas - the honours thesis I'm writing right now in political economy is deliberately critical and positioned against pretty much every orthodox school because I see their assumptions and methodologies as flawed. And I want to change it all to fix how they are wrong, wrong, so very wrong. Legal academia is probably where I'd like to end up long term though: again, there are so many flaws in our present system and I see that as a way of highlighting those flaws and trying to get real change made. On a large scale.

Do I want to change the world? Yes. But through reform, not revolution. And I want to change it in a way that I see as meaningful, not change for the sake of it.

So guys, over to you. Ambitions, people, we wants to hear!
    allez cuisine!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, this is taken from another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by unefille View Post
    I am very ambitious. I have huge dreams and clear visions of what I want to do with my life.

Maybe it's not Beta ambition. I don't want to be famous, I don't want a lot of money, I don't want a private jet or private island. I don't see my ambition as some sort of fire within - something angry, something pushing me.

What my ambition manifests as is the desire to achieve so I can contribute. To fulfill my personal potential. I always want to do everything 'the best' not because I see life as a competition or struggle, but because I think I can be that. I'm studying for my honours degree and I've decided I want the University Medal, so I'm working toward that. First class would be nice, sure, but the Medal would be nicer. Not to show that I'm 'better' than everyone else, but because if I CAN get it, then I SHOULD get it. I'm in a law degree and I want to go to be a barrister and I want to be a judge and I want to work at the ICC and I want all these things; I keep pushing myself. Because I think I have the potential to be fantastic at what I want to do and because I think being competent in a socially/institutionally important role is a way of contributing to society. So my motivations are Te and Fi, and Ne is what drives me, strangely enough.
    But I do think we need to justify our ambition in the 'need to be useful' or 'good at'. Like we hang back until we realise that people taking leadership roles/participating in a lot of organisations are dominating simply because they dominate, not because they're useful. And we then step in. We need to justify our ambition, we need our ambition to MEAN something.
    ()
    3w4-1w2-5w4 sx/sp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Delta's are as ambitious as all the rest, just perhaps with a different focus.
    It's not fame, money or glamour that drives us (for the most part) but we definitely have ambitions, its individual for each person.
    In general, I aspire to make the best of my talents so that I can feel that I'm not wasting my life.
    I think I need to realize myself through my career. I want to be a psychologist and help people the best that I can. Not getting there would be a waste of the person that I am.. And that's a horrible concept for me. Wasting my life and potential would be something I couldn't bear. So it doesn't even matter exactly what I do, as long as I feel that I did something good with myself that contributed something to the world, even in a small way.

Another EII I know has many ambitions and she really wants to be an activist. An IEE friend of mine is slightly less ambitious in the traditional aspect, she sort of goes with the flow and doesn't have a clear direction in life but she's still young and full of zest..

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am very ambitious. I have huge dreams and clear visions of what I want to do with my life.

Maybe it's not Beta ambition. I don't want to be famous, I don't want a lot of money, I don't want a private jet or private island. I don't see my ambition as some sort of fire within - something angry, something pushing me.
    I love this. And exactly my sentiments as well.

What my ambition manifests as is the desire to achieve so I can contribute. To fulfill my personal potential. I always want to do everything 'the best' not because I see life as a competition or struggle, but because I think I can be that.
    Yes!

This is what I said in another thread (with some edited stuff added for emphasis):

Quote Originally Posted by tereg View Post
    I said this in another thread, but the quality of being able to pursue a dream with no fear (fear of failure, fear of other people's criticisms, etc) and with a single-minded focus and determination is a quality I both admire and find extremely fascinating. And I say that because I find it both difficult and challenging to actually pursue something with this kind of mindset. It requires a lot of self-confidence, determination and drive.

Having said that, what typically happens with my dreams is they often will be in a state of "I would love to _____ (insert dream here)." I have a handful of these dreams that are in this state.

I'll give you one example (there are others like this). I would love to take up cello. What prevents me from actually doing that at this point in my life is

1) Finances for buying/renting a cello and paying for lessons (I think if I taught myself cello I wouldn't get very far) and probably not having those kinds of resources right now

and

2) The time that I think I'd need to dedicate to practice in order to
    grow in skill. I'm not 100% sure that I can dedicate what is probably required to grow and not allow it to become just another interest that I had a mild interest in, but got put aside.

And therein lies the problem, generally, with pursuing dreams (at least in my particular case). Whenever I am actively pursuing an interest of mine, I struggle in maintaining a consistency of dedication that would allow me to raise my talent level in that discipline. I start doing something, pursuing it, and either something else grabs my attention, or I start to get frustrated with the project, or I get burned out by overindulging myself with the project. In any case, my attention starts wandering around, and I find something else that piques my interest. And when I abandon something, part of it is also because I no longer think that I can effectively dedicate an adequate amount of time to the activity. And because I can't dedicate what I think is required, I might as well not bother going at it like 50% of the way. I generally feel that I can't really do much if I'm doing something with that kind of mindset, so I just put it aside.

Now, one advantage of actually pursuing something is it alleviates the laundry list of things that I want to do (at least it does that somewhat). If I finish something I've been wanting to do for a while, that means that I don't have to worry about it and have it somewhere in my mind. It's finished.

Really, what it comes down to is what do I think I can handle if I pursue something. Will I be able to dedicate enough to it? How do I think I'll handle adversity in the dream if it comes? Will I fall by the wayside or will my resolve be strong enough? If I can answer affirmatively towards being able to do it, I'm going to go for it. If not, that's ok, I will put it aside and revisit it later.

Another downside is, of course, cramming my head with too many of these dreams, if I don't feel I can pursue any of my dreams at any given time. They start piling up and then it becomes "Ok, which one do I do first?" That's a bit frustrating.

But, pursuing a dream with no fear is a liberating experience, even if I can have that "no fear" attitude for a brief period of time. Pursuing dreams allows for me to liberate myself from a mired depth of inadequacy and whatever other things drag me down.

The key is finding that consistency, finding that resolve, finding that determination.
    I have ambitious dreams, I have small dreams. And I look for that same quality in going for something with the mindset to be "the best" or be exceptional, which requires 100% of my energy. If I can't pursue something 100%, then my interest starts to wane.

Is it possible to pursue something like this? I'd like to think it is, but I know that in reality hurdles and obstacles get in the way. So realistically, I know and I've experienced enough to know that I can't maintain that kind of interest level.

But even beyond that, there's still "the search" that I constantly have. "The search" is knowing that there's something out there that will capture me in a way that no other interest has before. That... thing that I could do for the rest of my life, that thing that I'd do and not care about getting paid for it because I'd love it so much. That thing that you feel like you were made to do. It's there, and maybe I've come across it already, maybe it's in my stack of dreams right now or maybe it's yet to be discovered. But I believe it's there.

Now that's not to say that I don't enjoy what I do currently. I do enjoy the activities that I do, very much so. But there's this searching sense that I have that there's still something there that will completely enthrall me and be the epitome of my purpose.

So, that's where my ambition comes from and is right now. I am very much ambitious, with an idealistic sense of what my potential is, but still understanding the reality of what it takes to pursue a dream.

I really like this thread. A lot. It cheers me up to think about topics like this.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes I feel that I dream too big to the extent that I get very disappointed with life easily.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am very much ambitious, with an idealistic sense of what my potential is, but still understanding the reality of what it takes to pursue a dream.
    perfectly put!

And yeah, I agree that being the 'best' is a big part of it. I've always at least partly defined myself (and my self worth) by how well I do.
    allez cuisine!

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have ambitious dreams, I have small dreams. And I look for that same quality in going for something with the mindset to be "the best" or be exceptional, which requires 100% of my energy. If I can't pursue something 100%, then my interest starts to wane.

Is it possible to pursue something like this? I'd like to think it is, but I know that in reality hurdles and obstacles get in the way. So realistically, I know and I've experienced enough to know that I can't maintain that kind of interest level.

But even beyond that, there's still "the search" that I constantly have. "The search" is knowing that there's something out there that will capture me in a way that no other interest has before. That... thing that I could do for the rest of my life, that thing that I'd do and not care about getting paid for it because I'd love it so much. That thing that you feel like you were made to do. It's there, and maybe I've come across it already, maybe it's in my stack of dreams right now or maybe it's yet to be discovered. But I believe it's there.

Now that's not to say that I don't enjoy what I do currently. I do enjoy the activities that I do, very much so. But there's this searching sense that I have that there's still something there that will completely enthrall me and be the epitome of my purpose.

So, that's where my ambition comes from and is right now. I am very much ambitious, with an idealistic sense of what my potential is, but still understanding the reality of what it takes to pursue a dream.
    Wow, this is exactly what I think about. Recently though, I've been doubting if I'll ever find something like that... Having that sort of dream that you mention is quite possibly the main thing I look forward to in life (that and sharing the resulting energy with other people). I look at it as taking the "right" train, analogically speaking, among all the other ones. They all take you somewhere, but there HAS to be this one train that is the one you want to take. Sounds a little crazy, but that's how I see it. Being able to find something that you mention where you give 100% to me is related, in some way, to finding the "spark of life." It's full human potential and energy.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesy View Post
    I think Delta's are as ambitious as all the rest, just perhaps with a different focus.
    It's not fame, money or glamour that drives us (for the most part) but we definitely have ambitions, its individual for each person.
    In general, I aspire to make the best of my talents so that I can feel that I'm not wasting my life.
    (...) Not getting there would be a waste of the person that I am.. And that's a horrible concept for me. Wasting my life and potential would be something I couldn't bear. So it doesn't even matter exactly what I do, as long as I feel that I did something good with myself that contributed something to the world, even in a small way.
    Well said.
    When I was 5-8 years I used to be pretty sure about my career of a singer (I used to sing a lot - but now I think it wasn't singing but something horrible despite my family's appraisal) and in result being very rich and having a big swimming pool.
    A few years later my dreams changed rapidly and from now on it's still the same - despite others seeing me as a historian or a philologist etc. (I've never had problems with these subjects), I went the other way ... completely. I want to be a researcher. My mum ISFj had nearly got a heart attack, but now everything goes perfectly well.

Ending my life without realising myself sounds to me like the most horrible nightmare.
    When I was 7, my sister encouraged me to go to music school and learn playing the violin. I found this idea unattractive. Now it's my favourite instrument, I love listening to the violin, sound of this instrument thrills me ... I realize I can't learn playing the violin, because I'm too old. And lately my father said that he enjoyed a lot listening to me playing the flute, when I was preparing to music lessons at primary school. I only regret this one thing in my life. And he said he regret this too.
    One day I'll buy the violin as adornment. I've got the same as tereg.
    IEE. subtype.

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate View Post
    Ending my life without realising myself sounds to me like the most horrible nightmare.
    When I was 7, my sister encouraged me to go to music school and learn playing the violin. I found this idea unattractive. Now it's my favourite instrument, I love listening to the violin, sound of this instrument thrills me ... I realize I can't learn playing the violin, because I'm too old. And lately my father said that he enjoyed a lot listening to me playing the flute, when I was preparing to music lessons at primary school. I only regret this one thing in my life. And he said he regret this too.
    You're never too old!! It takes a lot of practice, that is for sure. But if you really, really want to, I'm sure you'll be able to find a way to make it sound good. The only thing is that it can cause physical discomfort, particularly in the neck because of the tilting, and also the violin "hickey" spot. It's also a little expensive... But if you want to learn, you should definitely give it a try, and find a good professor so as to not develop bad habits from the very beginning. If you have a good musical ear, it's a plus. Also, knowing basic solfège is definitely another thing you would need.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone says I'm too old, so I finally believed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sereno
    The only thing is that it can cause physical discomfort, particularly in the neck because of the tilting, and also the violin "hickey" spot.
    I've had the violin in my hands once. It needs a strong arm, movements of hand must be decisive and I have to know where I can put a bow in the violin to avoid playing out of a tune.
    It's hard and takes a lot of time to learn. Human's ear in early ages hears 20000Hz, teenager's ear - 15000Hz and old people - 10000Hz: Ear hearing all clinkers is needed ... but all in all I won't be a musician. But if I want to just learn for myself, age shouldn't be the most important factor. What an analysis xD. You're right, I have no idea when, but I'll do it! Thanks a lot :).
    But who would like to have that old student ... it'll take a lot of money. Gosh. I need to be a big moneymaker :o.
    IEE. subtype.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate View Post
    Well said.
    When I was 5-8 years I used to be pretty sure about my career of a singer (I used to sing a lot - but now I think it wasn't singing but something horrible despite my family's appraisal) and in result being very rich and having a big swimming pool.
    A few years later my dreams changed rapidly and from now on it's still the same - despite others seeing me as a historian or a philologist etc. (I've never had problems with these subjects), I went the other way ... completely. I want to be a researcher. My mum ISFj had nearly got a heart attack, but now everything goes perfectly well.

As Sereno said - it's NEVER too late and I mean it!
    Whatever passion you have, you should go for it.

Actually, you might start playing the violin and find that even though it interested you at first, you're all of a sudden sick of it, or you might gradually get better and love it even more, or it'll just stay as a hobby.
    In any case, you've got nothing to lose. You don't want to regret not trying to pursue something you're interested in, right?

My IEE friend is also really musical and she plays the guitar. She claims that music is her passion in life, and the thing is that whatever she wants she pursues like there's no tomorrow, just for the fun of it. And even though she tends to start things but not finish, once she finds her passion she sticks with it and pursues it zealously.. So I say, even if it's challenging, do it. Regrets suck so make sure you don't have any. .

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I agree that Deltas are probably less concerned with fame and riches, but more with a personal desire to experience the things they find exciting/interesting/spiritual or to establish a life that makes them comfortable and happy.

My main desire in life is to see the world and to interact with people from different countries and cultures. My big dream/ambition when I was young was to move to the US and I worked hard on accomplishing that. Then I switched my focus a bit because I really wanted to go to Africa. I worked hard and now I get to spend two months in West Africa this summer. I am sure my next goal will be a similar one because traveling and experiencing different place is my true passion.

I want the Ph.D I am working on not for the title, but because it allows me to work in a field that allows me to travel a lot and interact with people from all over the world. If I could do that without getting my degree (if I had chosen a different career path) I wouldn't bother finishing because the Ph.D does not mean that much to me (anymore). I just want to live life the way I want to and it helps me do that.

Edited to add: And I agree it's never too late. I am sure I will not stay in academia for the rest of my life and I can see myself going into a different direction in 5 or 10 years. It really is never to late to start something new.
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually I don't have much time, but I hope to be able to start it in near future. Before I posted about the violin, I had given up the idea of learning totally.
    Thanks a lot :>.
    It's odd, I'm ENFp and I stopped pursuing the dream because of being too old ;p.

I also dream of exploring the world (like Kim) starting from Australia and getting there a scuba diving licence <3. I love all kinds of water (except dirty ;p) and I used to train swimming. It'll be fun to do something a bit different.
    IEE. subtype.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Earlier on my ambitions were 'big', but since then I think I have gained a little bit of perspective and am just looking for a routine that fits and is interesting. I just got back from 9 days of field school and I'm pretty sure I've found it!
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would like to create a school, something like Epicurus' or Charles Xavier's (X-Men). I would be happy to keep pushing people to get great things done.
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.

context is king
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Example of Ne leading 'ambition':

http://wikisocion.org/en/index.php?t...nt_reflections

Note the effort emphasized to reach complete mastery of a field or subject.