Thread: ISTp-Te but what is Te?

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ISTp-Te but what is Te?

One would think that after 2.5 years here, I would know a little something about socionics. I don't.

So, what is an ISTP-Te subtype and why are people giving me this label? I tried looking it up but can't find useful information or a good description of it. I remember lokiV posted a link earlier but i can't find it. What about me is Te? Better yet, wtf is Te?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'd say a Te ISTp is more like the textbook ISTp, whereas the SI ISTp is more like an ISFp

but don't take my word for it. I've only known about this stuff for two weeks
    n00bIEE

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We do have this thread http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...php?t=7322 but sifting thru that makes me want to injure someone. Very much.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://wikisocion.org/en/index.php?title=SLI_subtypes

is that useful? essentially you'd be focusing more on Te than Si, sort of making you more like an INTp as well.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dattebayo View Post
    i'd say a Te ISTp is more like the textbook ISTp, whereas the SI ISTp is more like an ISFp

but don't take my word for it. I've only known about this stuff for two weeks
    Yeah, I think that's the general idea i've been getting from people as well regarding the Si or Te difference.

Jessica:

Edit: Maria's fucking trigger finger
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

- Voltaire

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by implied View Post

is that useful? essentially you'd be focusing more on Te than Si, sort of making you more like an INTp as well.
    Ah, okay, yes. This is what I was looking for. I just wasn't sure if people were going by some other description or if this was the be-all-end-all of the Te subtype. Thanks.

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by implied View Post

Hmm, I don't like those subtype descriptions in general. Not saying that I have an opinion on how they should be, but I just don't like them. I doubt, for instance, that someone from Delta wrote the SLI ones, since they seem lacking substance. Just personal opinion.

...been here longer than the fucking monarchy Ezra's Avatar
    TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some people are here solely for the ride. Maybe you're one of them.

If you want to start learning about socionics, look on the wiki. Start delving into quadra differences, temperament and clubs, Reinin dichotomies etc.. Learn about your type by reading the functional descriptions, and maybe one day, you can add to them as a qualified SLI.

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a section of Rick's blog that goes into a glimpse of what is:

http://socionist.blogspot.com/2006/1...revisited.html

And I'll paste the relevant section here:

Logic
    Both extraverted and introverted logic describe thought processes (the process of reaching logical conclusions). Individuals with introverted logic describe to a greater degree - and, hence, are more aware of - thought processes (their own or other people's) expressed in analysis or classifications. Individuals with extraverted logic describe the external manifestations of this process - for example, one's awareness of one's actions. Both aspects involve citing or listing facts and data; in citing data serves to specify the subject of discussion and the order of listing is irrelevant, while in it reflects the information's internal structure. Also in common between the aspects is the theme of discussion - expressing and substantiating one's thoughts, as well as the habit of referring to the functioning of living things (people) as if they were mechanisms.

Overlapping themes:
    Clarifying information
    essentially treats facts and data as external, autonomous objects (emphasizing facts, details, principles, algorithms, and the act of expressing them), while perceives data in the context of its structure and organization (emphasizing constructions, models, proper organization of data, outlines, systems, and structures).

Asking clarifying questions
    focuses on the what and the how of facts and data, while focuses on the why - the logical basis of assertions.

Substantiating one's own and others' conclusions
    focuses on the external proof of assertions - facts, examples, illustrations, concrete data and its interpretation - while focuses on internal proofs of the logic of statements and the consistency of logical principles applied.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And then, with , here is the relevant section (just so you have something to compare it with)

Sensing
    Both extraverted and introverted sensing involve concreticization - emphasizing the specific characteristics and details inherent to the object or situation - resulting in a perceptual vector from general to specific.

Overlapping themes:
    Describing object's concrete characteristics
    perceives physical traits directly, without an implied reference to the individual (size, shape, color, strength, rigidity), while perceives physical traits as they are experienced subjectively (objects' feel in your hand or as they come in contact with the subject through all senses).

Handling objects
    describes the handling of objects as an external physical act (throw, grab, stick, push, remove, fit, hit), while describes the experience of handling and interacting with objects (hold, rub, hug, feel, squeeze, try, stain, clean).

Assimilating space
    describes the physical act of assimilating an area (look around, squeeze in, get through, rearrange, put in its place, influence), while describes subjective experience of assimilating space (get adjusted, get cozy, make comfortable).

Needs and desires
    describes desires as the need to consume an external object ("I really need," "I want," "come on," "I want you to"), while describes the internal experience and physiological processes of satisfying one's needs and desires (processes and sensations associated with health, illness, physical exertion, sex, pleasure, eating and drinking).

Edit: And here is an article from the blog that describes as a base function:

http://socionist.blogspot.com/2006/1...-function.html
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was just reading what tereg posted about Te and i was thinking about yesterday and how i could have seen a te / ti difference. I was working with my INFp friend on a statistics assignment on body satisfaction.

Body satisfaction was worked out using current weight - ideal weight. So if you were body shape 9(fat) and wanted to be body shape 5(average) then your satisfaction is 4. I said though but what if you are a man and you are a thin weight, say weight 3(thin) and want to be weight 6(muscular) then its actually going to be -3. So i said we need to re-code the negative variables in the study so that the higher the number the lower the satisfaction. She was like oh shit i didn't see that at all.

But then when we were working on the variables and working out the inferential statistics etc she was sharper than me and she even had this giant table worked out with what to do when. I just look it up when i need it. She also had a beautiful table happening of our answers whereas i had it all hap hazardly smattered across my page. So yeah her organisation was superior. Im paying the price now because i have to try work out what the shit we worked out all over again hahaha.
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

gay sex
    Last edited by istpunk; 07-17-2008 at 09:37 AM.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really don't see Si at all. Meh.

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Again, just to paste it here, here's what Rick says about as a base function:

Here are some of its outstanding characteristics (in red are examples for base types to better illustrate the concept):

The base function describes the individual's most stable, consistent state of mind (especially in his or her adult years).
    : A physically relaxed, resting state of mind where the individual is focused on his internal sensations of comfort and harmony.

It describes the individual's most central interests - the kinds of interests the person is most likely to keep up over the years.
    : A concern with health and inner balance, correctly and harmoniously organizing one's everyday activities (eating, sleeping, living at home), and making sure one's everyday physical environment produces sensations of comfort and pleasure and is not harmful to one's health.

When the individual's life is not centered around the base function, he feels lost. At the same time, there is a tendency to overdo the activities and state of mind of the base function and then look for forms of compensation.
    : Feels lost when circumstances do not allow him to carry out his favorite relaxing activities (taking walks, listen to relaxing music, painting or doing other relaxing things) or organize his immediate home environment according to his own tastes. When given the chance, there is a tendency to overdo somewhat these activities and then look for some external activities that will make him strain a bit.

It describes the areas the individual is most sure of and generally most vocal about.
    : Questions of health - improving health, diagnosing health issues, treating health and diet problems; questions of proper living, including sleep and eating, activities around the home, sex, and other therapeutic activities that bring joy, pleasure, and balance.

In these areas the individual is extremely resistant to suggestion and insists on his own interpretation of things.
    : See above.

In these areas the individual is constantly gathering new information and adding it on to his existing views.
    : Tends to study and analyze carefully how people live their everyday lives, the sensations they experience from day to day, their diets, sleep, and exercise habits, their aesthetic tastes and styles, their immediate physical environment, their general state of health and vitality. Constantly uses these new impressions to modify his views on proper living and maintaining a balanced, harmonious inner world.

The individual's memory is generally sharpest (near absolute memory, actually) in areas where the base function has processed information (impressions) and structured them in its characteristic way.
    : Sensations one experienced in different locations and situations, the cause of these sensations and how to reproduce them.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Tereg, this clears things up a lot for me.

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tereg View Post
    :A concern with health and inner balance, correctly and harmoniously organizing one's everyday activities (eating, sleeping, living at home), and making sure one's everyday physical environment produces sensations of comfort and pleasure and is not harmful to one's health.
    I am so not good at this.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.