Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Sense of Direction

  1. #1
    ~~rubicon~~ Rubicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Chatbox
    TIM
    SEI, 9
    Posts
    5,268
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Sense of Direction

    I'm thinking Se types probably have the best sense of direction in the stereotypical sense of the term - knowing where north, south, etc. are - having a concrete map in their head of where they are at all times.

    I think Si types have a good relative sense of direction. I don't think the actual directions of N, S, E and W hold any relevance to them in terms of reaching their destination. 'North' becomes where they are facing; the other directions fall into place relatively. For example, I can't see an aerial-type map of Melbourne city in my head, though I know all the streets like the back of my hand. My nose is my north, and the city just swivels around in my head as I move. I guess the world revolves around me. It's a subjective viewpoint as opposed to the Se's objectivity.

    I guess an Si's sense of direction is an inferior one in that it is only effective in action, not in theory. It can't really be communicated, because it's about reacting to landmarks as they appear rather than having an accurate idea of the distances between landmarks and how everything looks on a map.

    I guess it has to do with the static-vs-dynamic concept.

    Also, I think Se types give directions in a "right, left, right" type of way, whereas Si types are more likely to say "continue towards the giant pineapple" or something. Though maybe that's getting into Te/Ti territory. Idk.

    This is mostly conjecture, so feel free to correct or tear this into shreds as it pleases you.

    Also, I was wondering whether Intuitve types could use their Intuition to guide them effectively, or whether they have to resort to using their Sensing functions. I've noticed that Ni types seem to have a fairly shocking sense of direction.
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

  2. #2

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,101
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hmm, I'm an Si type and I always know my N,S,E,W pretty easily. So I think you may be off on that a bit. But as far as the way I give directions, you nailed me. I could imagine myself saying "go left after the big pineapple" pretty easily.

  3. #3
    ~~rubicon~~ Rubicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Chatbox
    TIM
    SEI, 9
    Posts
    5,268
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Hmm, I'm an Si type and I always know my N,S,E,W pretty easily. So I think you may be off on that a bit. But as far as the way I give directions, you nailed me. I could imagine myself saying "go left after the big pineapple" pretty easily.
    There's that theory down the tubes then ... Lol

    So how would you say you are when it comes to guessing distances between objects? Would you be able to draw an aerial perspective map of an area you know well?
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

  4. #4
    Creepy-Cyclops

    Default

    I don't know my ass from my elbow.

  5. #5
    ~~rubicon~~ Rubicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Chatbox
    TIM
    SEI, 9
    Posts
    5,268
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    Go north towards the big pinneaple, may be an ethical thing.
    Why ethical?
    Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    Se is concrete and likes to focus on exact details. North is a detail. South is another detail. West is a detail. Each one is defined completely independently of the other. So you can have one or the other, but not both at the same time. You mentally switch between them.
    That's a good way of putting it. I find it hard to get my head around Se.
    Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    Si is more analog than Se, it doesn't like to define things explicitly or make laboriously detailed statements. I think a good way of visualizing Si is to imagine a thick syrup. Syrup is thick and when it moves, it's whole body moves along. It's hard to seperate it out. Consider that for an Si type, details tend to mesh together like a thick syrup of details (). The way you described the city moving around your nose is perfect example.

    Sorry if the analogy sounds a bit over the top... but hey, I'm practicing how to use Si.
    Don't diss the syrup analogy - I like it. :-) Finding it hard to separate details is something I definitely relate to.

    What do you think about intuitive types' sense of direction?
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

  6. #6
    ~~rubicon~~ Rubicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Chatbox
    TIM
    SEI, 9
    Posts
    5,268
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I don't know my ass from my elbow.
    I could show you if you like, but it involves pain. :-p
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

  7. #7
    Elro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    2,796
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    Actually, cracka's way of seeing things could be more related to extroversion/introversion than S. He could be using Fe to define the directions instead of Si. Fe, Just like Se (both are extroverted elements), see the world in terms of concrete details.
    Ehhhhh I'm not so sure about this.

    But yeah, my dad is probably ESE (if not, then SEI) and he is pretty good with directions. I wonder if it is because of his days in the Boy Scouts or a general knack for it, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

    Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.


    I pity your souls

  8. #8

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,101
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elro View Post
    Ehhhhh I'm not so sure about this.

    But yeah, my dad is probably ESE (if not, then SEI) and he is pretty good with directions. I wonder if it is because of his days in the Boy Scouts or a general knack for it, though.
    I was a boy scout for more years than I'd care to say...lol, but I think I always had a knack for it if you ask me.

  9. #9
    Gone. theMime.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,297
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    My sense of direction is complete crap. I am THE MOST direction retarded person I know. Prolly cuz my spatial ability is complete crap.

  10. #10
    xyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    7,709
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theMime. View Post
    My sense of direction is complete crap. I am THE MOST direction retarded person I know. Prolly cuz my spatial ability is complete crap.
    let's hear it for us direction-tards
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

    - Voltaire

  11. #11
    meatburger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    A Quazar named Northern Territory
    Posts
    2,570
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    My sense of Erection is great. I know exactly when im getting one

    like *ooooh* now
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

    "And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

  12. #12
    redbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    9,321
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    My ESE husband is (not surprisingly) much like cracka. he definitely uses landmarks to give directions and he expects that other people know exactly what he's talking about (I mean, if you haven't noticed that big pineapple you're like a total dunce).

    I'm surprisingly good at finding things, given the fact that I don't notice stuff. I usually just follow my nose. When I find myself somewhere, I can remember if it's left or right from there by the way it feels. And then I can tell when I'm lost because the whole picture just doesn't feel right. If that makes sense. But I can never articulate any of this, I just do it in the moment.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

  13. #13
    aka-kitsune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    966
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I apparently inherited my mother's great sense of direction. I can often navigate my return to any place after I've been there once. It does seem to me to be a function of . Not so much planning (as mentioned in the other thread) but more like I see the route mapped out in my head. Based on, say, 3 places I need to go, I can devise a route that is efficient, involves no doubling back or unnecessary travel (unless I actually prefer the scenic route). When I'm in the supermarket, I really can't stand wandering from end to end of the store without some logic. It's really irritating when I forget something in the produce aisle while I'm standing 7 aisles over in frozen foods. >=(

    In fact, I tend to notice that the ego-type people I know can tend to be so distracted by all the possibilities in front of them that they often don't know how to organize them into an efficient route. They are most likely to have GPS to save themselves the hassle.
    socio: INFp - IEI
    ennea: 4w5 sp/sx

    **********

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
    Only kings, presidents, editors, and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial 'we'.

  14. #14
    Blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,725
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    My ESE husband is (not surprisingly) much like cracka. he definitely uses landmarks to give directions and he expects that other people know exactly what he's talking about (I mean, if you haven't noticed that big pineapple you're like a total dunce).

    I'm surprisingly good at finding things, given the fact that I don't notice stuff. I usually just follow my nose. When I find myself somewhere, I can remember if it's left or right from there by the way it feels. And then I can tell when I'm lost because the whole picture just doesn't feel right. If that makes sense. But I can never articulate any of this, I just do it in the moment.
    i do this too when i don't know the exact direction. totally. i generally know where i am especially with roads and streets. on the other hand, out in the wilderness, it's really really easy to get turned around.

    although i am pretty good at directions. i use a combination approach to describe them to others...like i'll say, "make a left on X street - you'll see a mcdonald's across the street - then make a quick right on Y street...it's the 3rd house on the left, #1155.

    ILE

    those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    156
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    My sense of direction isn't terrible, but it could use a little work. I remember one time on my way to school and a woman asked me where a certain street was and though it was on the corner of the block we were on, I sent her in the wrong direction by accident...

    Basically, if one wanted directions from me, i'd hate for them to ask about street signs(I don't follow them). Anyway, if the place is in walking distance i'll usually just say something like "Come, i'll take you."

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    TIM
    ILI
    Posts
    2,916
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chopin View Post
    I'm thinking Se types probably have the best sense of direction in the stereotypical sense of the term - knowing where north, south, etc. are - having a concrete map in their head of where they are at all times.

    I think Si types have a good relative sense of direction. I don't think the actual directions of N, S, E and W hold any relevance to them in terms of reaching their destination. 'North' becomes where they are facing; the other directions fall into place relatively. For example, I can't see an aerial-type map of Melbourne city in my head, though I know all the streets like the back of my hand. My nose is my north, and the city just swivels around in my head as I move. I guess the world revolves around me. It's a subjective viewpoint as opposed to the Se's objectivity.

    I guess an Si's sense of direction is an inferior one in that it is only effective in action, not in theory. It can't really be communicated, because it's about reacting to landmarks as they appear rather than having an accurate idea of the distances between landmarks and how everything looks on a map.

    I guess it has to do with the static-vs-dynamic concept.

    Also, I think Se types give directions in a "right, left, right" type of way, whereas Si types are more likely to say "continue towards the giant pineapple" or something. Though maybe that's getting into Te/Ti territory. Idk.

    This is mostly conjecture, so feel free to correct or tear this into shreds as it pleases you.

    Also, I was wondering whether Intuitve types could use their Intuition to guide them effectively, or whether they have to resort to using their Sensing functions. I've noticed that Ni types seem to have a fairly shocking sense of direction.
    dunno how true that is, because my SEE and SLE friends have a pretty poor sense of direction. I have pretty good sense of direction.
    INTp
    sx/sp

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    TIM
    ILI
    Posts
    2,916
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    don't really know how to explain it. but it's like a big picture in my head, where a certain place is, where to turn no matter where i am. hmm
    INTp
    sx/sp

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    USA.
    TIM
    INTj
    Posts
    4,497
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i was just having a conversation with my ESFp sis the other day about this. She said that I didn't have a good sense of direction and i became furious since i consider this to be one of my best abilities (always lauded by my ISFp mother). She meant, however, that I don't remember whether one of the streets was one way, rather than knowing which direction to go. So it was a matter of giving good directions, like her automated GPS.

    I had never seen Se as seeing a map, but with being able to react and steal those parking spaces on the side of the street so that we don't have to pay for parking. I think you will have to relate that sort of thing to more than one of the elements.

  19. #19
    aka-kitsune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    966
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Kensington View Post
    I had never seen Se as seeing a map, but with being able to react and steal those parking spaces on the side of the street so that we don't have to pay for parking. I think you will have to relate that sort of thing to more than one of the elements.
    Not paying for parking is good, but I definitely don't have the patience to drive around and around the same freaking streets looking for a spot. In those cases, I'm a fan of least effort. It is definitely worth splitting the $15 or $20 dollars to avoid the spike in my BP. Combing the streets for parking during events in the city is nervewracking.
    socio: INFp - IEI
    ennea: 4w5 sp/sx

    **********

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
    Only kings, presidents, editors, and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial 'we'.

  20. #20
    liveandletlive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,290
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i can see why you'd say that but IME with gamma NTs they seem to be veryyyyyy good with directions and finding their way around places.
    ESFp-Fi sub
    6w7 sx/so/sp

  21. #21
    Twist-Tie Spider iAnnAu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Knoxhell TN
    Posts
    987
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Well, just to put another opinion/example out there, I'm great with direction (including NESW), and can give very detailed directions (including elements of distance, direction, landmarks AND streetnames, though usually not all of them for a given location), because I do draw a map in my head. I didn't even realize that I do this (or maybe it was that I didn't realize that not everyone does this) until a friend of mine and I were planning out a trip and totally geeking out over an atlas. We were talking about all the different possibilities about routes and scenery, and eventually she told me about friends she's had who had poor senses of direction, and mentioned that she thinks of places from an aerial view, and that they didn't. That's when I realized I do that too.
    I can certainly see how functions could be related to this issue, but I don't think it's a necessary correlation to say Se (or Si) thinks in map-sense or cardinal-sense, or that intuitives give landmarks instead of distances in explanations of how to get to a place ...
    I have a good enough sense of direction that I like making myself go down routes I haven't been before, including in strange cities. I've ended up in some seriously gnarly neighborhoods, and yet I've always survived the trip. And I have grown into some measure of pride in trying to find a reasonably efficient way back from a place that does not involve mere backtracking (e.g., I try to return in a way different than I went in). If I've been to a place once, I can usually get back there myself, though if it's really complicated it may take me another visit before I feel comfortable giving another person directions to it.
    I am interested in hearing from more intuitives about this, now ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bukowski
    We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.
    SLI

  22. #22

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,101
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I've been in arguments before with people because I knew where something was at and how to get there and didn't want to put it into their GPS...lol. I think the addition of GPS to our society is totally fucking up any sense of direction that's left in the world today. I actually like saying, pass x sign and go about a quarter mile, turn left at the car dealership, go about a hundred yards and there's a driveway with an orange mailbox, turn in there and i'll meet you outside. Instead people say, well I put it in the Garmin and it took me down the next road. Bleh.

  23. #23
    from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Posts
    3,401
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    All I know is that I am terrible with directions, absolutely terrible. My IEI best friends are all terrible as well. I think it has something to do with repressed ...


    Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •