Thread: ENTp evasion and delaying important decisions

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ENTp evasion and delaying important decisions

Is it common for ENTp's to delay important decisions until the very last minute? Is it simply not important until it hits critical mass?

Is it common for an ENTp to be evasive about their decisions? Would this be due to concerns? Or is actually having difficulty reaching a final decision?

What is the best way for someone to engage an ILE in long-range decision-making before the situation hits critical mass?

What is the best way to explain how the ILE's evasion and delay are negatively impacting others without overwhelming them with polr hits?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hkkmr View Post
    Do you need me to make a decision about this topic today?
    lol
    INFp-Ni

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally am a horrible procrastinator. I think it has something to do with unvalued Se. Si quadra types are way lazier.

The reason the ILE is putting off the decision could either be because it he perceives it as high-stakes (Se) or because he wants to make sure he makes the best possible decision (Ne). It could be both, depending on the decision to be made.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    332 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, the critical mass thing is very important. I think procrastination can actually be a positive force when used in moderation, but if you procrastinate on something until after the deadline, all the pressure (and motivation) goes away instantly, because there is no fixed goal, no point where you can say "this is when it's due, so I just need to get it done by then". It's definitely a static thing.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most decisions must be delayed, it is natural. Deciding at the last minutue is so that we've looked at fairly good detail all the other possibilities and we can pick the best one. However, I guess training 'you're so indecisive', makes you question yourself and you try and pick more decisively. Or if you'r certain you want something.
    ENTp... love it

3w2

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    I personally am a horrible procrastinator. I think it has something to do with unvalued Se. Si quadra types are way lazier.
    no it's weak Se. If you think you're lazy you've never seen a IEI or ILI. ESEs are like the opposite
    INFp-Ni

Pretty much I will procrastinate on all things not interesting to me. Though if there is an emergency or if I feel something is very important to get done right away I can mobilize quite quickly.

However the reasons behind the procrastination is random things can spark my attention. For times I am late to be somewhere, it is usually because I get distracted or have to check or do one more thing. It is usually interest based things.

I am also known not to be able to decide on making an important choice betwen two decisions. I tend to analyze all the possibilites by seeing which one fits me best. However, it seems it only happens when I'm not sure I will get a Fe or Si response when I make my choice. Otherwise, I usually know which decision to make is best and will stand by it as long as I don't get distracted by another opition that seems to have more potential.

I have not ran into many other ILEs. So I can't say for sure procrastination is a common trait. The ones I have ran into though have said they have a wide range of interests that tend to distract them when working on an important project (ie college school work). Pretty much the same issue I have.

I know quite a few IEIs though, and yeah, they are a lot worse. Annoyingly and frustratingly so. When they do it, it seems to ignore Ne, while misusing Ti and violating Te. All will get me riled up a bit if it is blantant enough. I can totally see why they need a Se kick in the ass, and that usually works. Not my natually style though. I have never seen SEIs or ESEs do anything close to this.
    ILE

TIM
    ILE-Ti
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last edited by Suomea; 09-27-2008 at 04:34 PM.
    Suomea

TIM
    ILE-Ti
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last edited by Suomea; 09-27-2008 at 04:34 PM.
    Suomea

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    1)what's the context of the decision? Is it a homework assignment? A big test? cutting the blue cord on a bomb?

2)depends on whether or not it is desirable to have more or fewer possibilities on hand. Usually, there's a desire to explore as many options as possible.
    Urgency and options seem to be key factors at work here. The ILE's that I know will redirect their focus towards a decision when new options come to light. They explore them, set them aside, then move on to something else if the idea cannot be implemented immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by thehotelambush View Post
    Also, the critical mass thing is very important. I think procrastination can actually be a positive force when used in moderation, but if you procrastinate on something until after the deadline, all the pressure (and motivation) goes away instantly, because there is no fixed goal, no point where you can say "this is when it's due, so I just need to get it done by then". It's definitely a static thing.
    I agree. If I do not set a goal, including a due date, I never get started. Acting impulsively is equally non-productive since I may act without appropriate consideration of variables.

Quote Originally Posted by EllaC View Post
    Most decisions must be delayed, it is natural. Deciding at the last minutue is so that we've looked at fairly good detail all the other possibilities and we can pick the best one. However, I guess training 'you're so indecisive', makes you question yourself and you try and pick more decisively. Or if you'r certain you want something.
    I have noticed that ILE is somewhat uneasy in the realm of decision-making. I assumed it was from experience - in the past, following impulses resulted in disaster. When ILE's bounce their ideas off of me, it seems like they are seeking 'probability' scenarios for their possibilities. Once I've given them probabilities, they seem a bit more confident in their decision-making.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ScanDave View Post
    Pretty much I will procrastinate on all things not interesting to me. Though if there is an emergency or if I feel something is very important to get done right away I can mobilize quite quickly.

However the reasons behind the procrastination is random things can spark my attention. For times I am late to be somewhere, it is usually because I get distracted or have to check or do one more thing. It is usually interest based things.

I am also known not to be able to decide on making an important choice betwen two decisions. I tend to analyze all the possibilites by seeing which one fits me best. However, it seems it only happens when I'm not sure I will get a Fe or Si response when I make my choice. Otherwise, I usually know which decision to make is best and will stand by it as long as I don't get distracted by another opition that seems to have more potential.

I have not ran into many other ILEs. So I can't say for sure procrastination is a common trait. The ones I have ran into though have said they have a wide range of interests that tend to distract them when working on an important project (ie college school work). Pretty much the same issue I have.
    I notice similar traits in other ILE's. I tend to work in a similar fashion, so it rarely causes friction - unless the ILE is waiting on me...

I know quite a few IEIs though, and yeah, they are a lot worse. Annoyingly and frustratingly so. When they do it, it seems to ignore Ne, while misusing Ti and violating Te. All will get me riled up a bit if it is blantant enough. I can totally see why they need a Se kick in the ass, and that usually works. Not my natually style though. I have never seen SEIs or ESEs do anything close to this.
    Ha! Refer to the above comment . ILE's are assessing options in a chaotic flow - they focus on whatever floats by until it ceases to be interesting, then let it go until the next thing floats by. IEI, however, focuses on something until a conclusion is reached, to the exclusion of all other things - importance or urgency are relatively unimportant concerns (unless it MUST be handled immediately).

If I am procrastinating: a) it does not interest me, b) I have something on my mind that needs a conclusion before I can consider anything else, or c) I feel pressured to do something and I'm resisting, passively.

If I am being evasive: I do not agree (with whatever is proposed), and I want to avoid conflicts about it. For example, lets say an ILE wants me to go somewhere, or do something. I don't want to, but, I know that saying No will spark a 'guilt trip'. A dejected tone, sulking, prodding, etc - all of which I prefer to avoid. So, I will be evasive. Eventually, ILE stops asking me about it.

IME, ILE and IEI experience rampant conflict after euphoric beginnings, but eventually, they "get" each other's M.O. - once trust and understanding is established, things begin to move along very smoothly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suomea View Post
    For me I sometimes have a hard time coming to a lot of decisions. It's like the two sides of a debate are always on two ends of one of those old scales which has weights balanced on both sides. At any given point I can make a decision and it will be on whichever side of the scale is heavier, but until I'm forced to make a decision I'll continue to try and find the correct answer rather than just the best answer at the time.
    This is the difficult part. On Monday, ILE alludes to X decision. I realize that this decision is still tentative, but it indicates that interest and consideration are present. But, on Thursday, ILE may allude to Y decision. By Sunday, it's back to X. Eventually, I just assume that no decision has been made, and I should take no action either way. I "get" this now, but it delays action, which becomes frustrating after a while. I make decisions in one-at-a-time. I can't focus appropriately on to the next issue (in my mind) until this one is resolved, which just isn't the way ILE works.

I'm rarely up front about the way I'm leaning on decisions unless someone needs me to be, or asks me about them. I don't mind telling people about my decisions as long as they don't get really enraged by the response though.

For me it depends on the decision. Normally if someone brings up long range decision making to me in a calm manner I'll let them know what I think or the way I'm leaning.
    Hmm, yes. I think I've learned this the hard way. If ILE anticipates anger, they will be less inclined to discuss the issue. (Conversely, in the presence of anger, I am MORE inclined the discuss things, openly). Mantaining an even emotional keel seems to encourage them to talk about things. I assumed it was fear of conflict and criticism, not necessarily evasion with malicious intent...although this was learned. See, as a Beta, I perceive evasion as deceit - which will cause me to respond aggressively and/or tactically in order to suss out the lie. This sets ILE on edge and they retreat further, instead of calling me out to resolve the issue like Beta would (LOL).

These answers are all regarding myself though so I wouldn't take them to have too much validity for all ENTps.
    It was very helpful. Thank you!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suomea View Post
    P.S. What's the decision?... : )
    Moving in together. IMO, this requires some long-range planning but he doesn't like to think about things beyond tomorrow. His lease is up in 3 weeks and we haven't even been out looking at houses. His reason: "I'm broke after paying rent and bills this week - I can't even think about the end of the month yet".

On the other hand, I am like: "HOLY CHIT! We only have 3 weeks left now! We needed to estimate expenses, make a deposit, save enough money, etc, etc, etc.... gah!"

Now, he has to go month-to-month on the lease until he gets his money situation straight and we find a house. Planning would have avoided that - oh well, yanno?

A Place within a Place in the Universe Where they will never suspect. *Cackles like a witch.*
    TIM
    EII H-Ne
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never really been good at making decisions, and am very flaky/wishy washy. I want to make the right decision, and it takes me forever to settle on that, and can see possibilities in many of the available options. It can turn into beating about the bush, or avoidance if I draw out the process for a long time. There have been times when I want to go with multiple options, and want to find a way to meet in the middle which just drags things out longer if one option is expected.

The best possible decision is not always set in stone and that leads to waffling. When I finally make up my mind, it is much later than people would have wanted it.
    xII se PoLR, 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so

Phlegmatic-Melancholic |RCoAI| Fascinator| Newtype-secondary| LEFVl|

#JusticeforJeb_, Water Sheep did nothing wrong, High Inquisitor Of Council of Water Sheep and Water Sheep's protector

Make things right? Who are we to decide when things are right and when they need to be fixed?

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ENTps like most Eps seem to perform best when their backs are against the walls, perhaps because they give themselves lots of practice. They go about filling their plates to overflowing, preferring to play with and experiment without having any real commitments to anyone to produce anything. Maximizing their options, and keeping things open and themselves free are their ways of life. Now, INFjs like most Ijs prefer their plates rather empty because they tend to take their commitments rather seriously. This is why they sometimes take inordinate amounts of time before taking on something. Once they do commit, subsequent decisions tend be made rather efficiently and effectively so that they can clear their plates. Now INXjs are somewhat idealistic so tend to look for perfect solutions and hence, waffle more than their S-counterparts but once they get going, they can be quite productive.

a.k.a. I/O

TIM
    LSI-H™
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Froody Blue Gem View Post
    I've never really been good at making decisions, and am very flaky/wishy washy. I want to make the right decision, and it takes me forever to settle on that, and can see possibilities in many of the available options. It can turn into beating about the bush, or avoidance if I draw out the process for a long time. There have been times when I want to go with multiple options, and want to find a way to meet in the middle which just drags things out longer if one option is expected.

The best possible decision is not always set in stone and that leads to waffling. When I finally make up my mind, it is much later than people would have wanted it.

..was it? I like you haha