Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 76

Thread: Si and physical health

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,687
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Si and physical health

    I've seen the connection made before between Si and health, but then, as has previously been noted, there are Si dominants who seem to neglect their health.

    The connection arises in the first place perhaps because it feels good to be healthy. But then there are some things which feel good right now but in the long term may result in poor health.

    Now maybe someone has come up with this before, but maybe the health-focus is more likely to be evident in intuitive types (rather than Si types) who have a concern for Si (either Si-valuing or perhaps even Si-role), because they might be more likely or more able to think about how things will play out in the future (Ni?). Then they might show more concern for their health in the present, because they know if they don't do things to keep healthy, then in the future they will feel physically bad. Whereas an Si type might be less likely to think about the future, and so they do things which feel good right now but might make them feel bad in the future.

    please rip this theory apart at your will

  2. #2
    heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,722
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hellothere View Post
    I've seen the connection made before between Si and health, but then, as has previously been noted, there are Si dominants who seem to neglect their health.

    The connection arises in the first place perhaps because it feels good to be healthy. But then there are some things which feel good right now but in the long term may result in poor health.

    Now maybe someone has come up with this before, but maybe the health-focus is more likely to be evident in intuitive types (rather than Si types) who have a concern for Si (either Si-valuing or perhaps even Si-role), because they might be more likely or more able to think about how things will play out in the future (Ni?). Then they might show more concern for their health in the present, because they know if they don't do things to keep healthy, then in the future they will feel physically bad. Whereas an Si type might be less likely to think about the future, and so they do things which feel good right now but might make them feel bad in the future.

    please rip this theory apart at your will
    i agree. i've met some really haphazard si types. one istp i met on a bike race trip drank a 64 oz slushie and ensured his other friend(also a big guy, likely estj) drink one himself, and made him do it by a certain time. it was a joke, but still, this is more what i get from Si, not perfect health maintenance. but! however, there are some Si types who are really into maintaining really close health, but i'd say more than 75% are the beer guzzling variety.

    I've noticed a lot of health intuitive types, especially women.
    asd

  3. #3
    Your DNA is mine. Mediator Kam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    TIM
    SEI
    Posts
    4,481
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I have begun to watch my sugar content, I got that from my dad, he has 100 books on wellness and health. and it fits his hidden agenda.
    D-SEI 9w1

    This is me and my dual being scientific together

  4. #4
    ~~rubicon~~ Rubicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Chatbox
    TIM
    SEI, 9
    Posts
    5,268
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kamangir View Post
    I have begun to watch my sugar content, I got that from my dad, he has 100 books on wellness and health. and it fits his hidden agenda.
    Funny. My mum (LII) has a million health books too, and I'd have to say it's mostly her influence that keeps me relatively healthy. I think you're right, hellothere.
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

  5. #5
    xyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    7,709
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I don't know what category I would fall into, I just know I love exercising and maintaining my health because when I'm healthy, every day feels like a breeze compared to all the shit I usually gotta do.
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

    - Voltaire

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,687
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'm also paranoid about how much sugar I eat because I don't want to get diabetes because if I do that would mean lots of injections and blood tests and that is something that would make all my hair fall out

    But I just realised that what I said is kind of already explained by the hidden agenda... (of EIIs and LIIs), but I was trying to make my idea more general (in reconciling the Si-health connection with the unhealthy Si-dominants thing)

  7. #7
    Your DNA is mine. Mediator Kam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    TIM
    SEI
    Posts
    4,481
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chopin View Post
    Funny. My mum (LII) has a million health books too, and I'd have to say it's mostly her influence that keeps me relatively healthy. I think you're right, hellothere.
    My LII dad is amazing. He always gives us fruit and tells us to work out, it's great. He is a champ.

    (in reconciling the Si-health connection with the unhealthy Si-dominants thing)
    maybe Si dominants know their body states well, so they know when to binge and act stupid?
    D-SEI 9w1

    This is me and my dual being scientific together

  8. #8
    Snomunegot munenori2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Posts
    7,739
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hellothere View Post
    I've seen the connection made before between Si and health, but then, as has previously been noted, there are Si dominants who seem to neglect their health.

    The connection arises in the first place perhaps because it feels good to be healthy. But then there are some things which feel good right now but in the long term may result in poor health.

    Now maybe someone has come up with this before, but maybe the health-focus is more likely to be evident in intuitive types (rather than Si types) who have a concern for Si (either Si-valuing or perhaps even Si-role), because they might be more likely or more able to think about how things will play out in the future (Ni?). Then they might show more concern for their health in the present, because they know if they don't do things to keep healthy, then in the future they will feel physically bad. Whereas an Si type might be less likely to think about the future, and so they do things which feel good right now but might make them feel bad in the future.

    please rip this theory apart at your will
    I think you've done pretty well here, hellothere.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

  9. #9
    dbmmama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,831
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i am completely not concerned about my health at all, on a physical level. yet i am one of the healthiest people....

    i use my to manifest physical health from that place. like this: I *know* I am Dynamic Health and It is So. I have even "corrected" nearsightedness in this way, as well as other ailments and for others too. because of this knowing, i naturally take actions that ensure physical health without having to focus on it.

    love
    kj

  10. #10
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,632
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I agree with your post hellothere.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  11. #11
    xyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    7,709
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all.
    ...wait...what??
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

    - Voltaire

  12. #12
    Your DNA is mine. Mediator Kam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    TIM
    SEI
    Posts
    4,481
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    dolphin makes meeeee soooooo infuriated omg argh. I wanna stab her with my nail file.
    D-SEI 9w1

    This is me and my dual being scientific together

  13. #13
    heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,722
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all.
    I agree. Work is work. in america everything has to be fun or our small minds get bored.
    asd

  14. #14
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,632
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all.
    I disagree completely with this...I think everything has to be fun, otherwise we're wasting our lives.

    (okay, the hypothesis is that I am looking to maximize the amount of happiness throughout life)
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  15. #15
    xyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    7,709
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Heath, I think people see Fun as a main dish in their lives, instead of a great spice.
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

    - Voltaire

  16. #16
    heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,722
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I disagree completely with this...I think everything has to be fun, otherwise we're wasting our lives.

    (okay, the hypothesis is that I am looking to maximize the amount of happiness throughout life)
    you oftentimes end up tricking yourself into something is awesome("yeah dude, I'm doing LAUNDRY!!"). sometimes it is good to say "hey, this is going to be a neutral experience."

    i definitely think any experience within your control should be made fun as possible, but you know, reality or whatever.
    asd

  17. #17
    heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,722
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LokiVanguard View Post
    Heath, I think people see Fun as a main dish in their lives, instead of a great spice.
    yeah, fun is awesome. awesome.
    asd

  18. #18
    heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,722
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    When kids in my day recieved a small piece of hoarhound candy, they were over the moon. What enthusiasm. Compare that to the zombie-kids today's society produces. You just don't see that kind of sincere gratefulness anymore.
    it's true. it's all sarcasm and television programs. and saying 'oh shit!' whenever ANYTHING happens.
    asd

  19. #19
    xyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    7,709
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heath View Post
    it's true. it's all sarcasm and television programs. and saying 'oh shit!' whenever ANYTHING happens.


    "no fun" dolphin?!? pshaw
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

    - Voltaire

  20. #20
    heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,722
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    You can't eat a gogurt anymore without secretly being disappointed that you're not instantly made the most popular kid at school. Commercials are a bunch of crap.
    lol
    asd

  21. #21
    Snomunegot munenori2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Posts
    7,739
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    dolphin, if you're not pulling quotes from somewhere on some of this stuff then I have to say you're pretty f'n brilliant.

    You've gone up a few steps in my book.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

  22. #22
    JRiddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Indian Territory
    TIM
    Ne-ENTp 7w8 sx/so
    Posts
    838
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Dolphin! I'm tired of this ISTp crap. Come back to ALPHA pleeeeaaaasssse!!!!!!!

    JRiddy
    —————King of Socionics—————

    Ne-ENTp 7w8 sx/so

  23. #23
    Snomunegot munenori2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Posts
    7,739
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    Let's be clear on this. I've quoted Teddy Roosevelt a while back. Doesn't mean I'm some sort of puppet. I'll go edit my posts and give him credit where credit is due, then you can see what's his and what's mine.

    He had nothing to do with most of this stuff. Including the hoarhound candy.
    I don't understand how you can switch gears like this, but kudos.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

  24. #24
    dbmmama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,831
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heath View Post
    it's true. it's all sarcasm and television programs. and saying 'oh shit!' whenever ANYTHING happens.
    well, this is interesting because I feel the same way. i "censor" these kinds of things for my kids.

    love
    kj

  25. #25
    JRiddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Indian Territory
    TIM
    Ne-ENTp 7w8 sx/so
    Posts
    838
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    I have a goal and a purpose. Your whiny histronics have no place in my nearly invisible heart now. Go get a real hobby. And some fresh air while you're at it. If there's not a paper mill next door..
    ARRRGGGHHH! You are irritatingly good at this.

    JRiddy
    —————King of Socionics—————

    Ne-ENTp 7w8 sx/so

  26. #26

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,687
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kamangir View Post
    maybe Si dominants know their body states well, so they know when to binge and act stupid?
    that's probably true

    one other thing I was going to say was that although Si-concerned intuitive types may be more conscious about being healthy, they're still probably not as good at "being healthy" than types strong in Si - so they might do things to try and be healthy which don't quite work.
    Last edited by hellothere; 05-05-2008 at 10:35 AM. Reason: sometimes I swap words around, substitute words for others which sound similar, or miss words completely.

  27. #27
    ~~rubicon~~ Rubicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Chatbox
    TIM
    SEI, 9
    Posts
    5,268
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hellothere View Post
    that's probably true

    one other thing I was going to say was that although Si-concerned intuitive types may be more conscious about healthy, they're still probably not as good at "being healthy" than types strong in Si - so they might do things to try and be healthy which don't quite work.
    I agree. I think the intuitive types have to work harder to be healthy 'cause they don't have that innate knowledge, whereas Si types sort of just 'know' what their bodies need, but often just choose to ignore what they're telling them, or put their health on the backburner as far as their priorites go.
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

  28. #28
    heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,722
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dbmmama View Post
    well, this is interesting because I feel the same way. i "censor" these kinds of things for my kids.

    love
    kj

    it's a good idea. i think it might be better to talk to them about this stuff. i know corporate identity, lifestyle, groupthink and consumerism are abstract concepts, but they could really benefit from learning about the retarded shit is going to bombard them from age 10 and on.

    sincerest friendship,
    heath
    asd

  29. #29
    ...been here longer than the fucking monarchy Ezra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    UK
    TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Posts
    9,169
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Si has nothing to do with physical health. I mean, look at Bionicgoat.
    Ideas don't determine who's right. Power determines who's right. And I have the power. So I'm right.

  30. #30
    heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,722
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    Si has nothing to do with physical health. I mean, look at Bionicgoat.
    i agree. i haven't met a single si person who isn't sort of on the gluttonous side.
    asd

  31. #31
    Snomunegot munenori2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Posts
    7,739
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heath View Post
    i agree. i haven't met a single si person who isn't sort of on the gluttonous side.
    lol, LV, dolphin, bee, kam, etc? Granted you haven't physically met them.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

  32. #32

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,687
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    Si has nothing to do with physical health. I mean, look at Bionicgoat.
    That's what I was trying to reconcile. There does seem to be something to the Si-health connection, but then there are Si dominants who aren't very concerned about being healthy.

    <actually slightly annoyed, did you read my post or just look at the title?!>

  33. #33
    ...been here longer than the fucking monarchy Ezra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    UK
    TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Posts
    9,169
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hellothere View Post
    <actually slightly annoyed, did you read my post or just look at the title?!>
    Sorry, the latter. I reread the first post now though.

    I still don't think health is Si related. I think that bullshit about LIEs being unhealthy is just a side effect of not caring about their inner sensations because it just so happens that, coincidentally, most pleasant inner sensations are actually good for us.
    Ideas don't determine who's right. Power determines who's right. And I have the power. So I'm right.

  34. #34

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,687
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    Sorry, the latter. I reread the first post now though.

    I still don't think health is Si related. I think that bullshit about LIEs being unhealthy is just a side effect of not caring about their inner sensations because it just so happens that, coincidentally, most pleasant inner sensations are actually good for us.
    that's okay. And yeah I think that part at least highlights where the Si-health connection comes about from, even if there's not that much substance to it/it can't be extrapolated to more general claims

  35. #35
    dbmmama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,831
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heath View Post
    it's a good idea. i think it might be better to talk to them about this stuff. i know corporate identity, lifestyle, groupthink and consumerism are abstract concepts, but they could really benefit from learning about the retarded shit is going to bombard them from age 10 and on.

    sincerest friendship,
    heath
    thanks heath,

    oh yea! i talk with my kids about everything. and that kind of crap comes at them fast and heavy from a much earlier age than 10.

    love,
    kj

  36. #36
    redbaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    9,321
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JRiddy View Post
    Dolphin! I'm tired of this ISTp crap. Come back to ALPHA pleeeeaaaasssse!!!!!!!
    Seriously. what.is.going.on?
    IEI-Fe 4w3

  37. #37
    JRiddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Indian Territory
    TIM
    Ne-ENTp 7w8 sx/so
    Posts
    838
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    Seriously. what.is.going.on?
    There's a schism in Alpha right now. We've had people leave for Delta, people confuse with retarded emo nonsense, people get tired of said nonsense and drift away, and a few people trying to hold down the fort. It's a mess.

    To answer this actual post, I have a couple of friends and one friend who almost never get sick, but when they do, they seem to handle it very poorly. None of these people are particularly neurotic about being sick or anything like that, but they just seem to easily maintain a healthy environment and body. The two SEIs I'm talking about rarely work out, but just maintain a casually healthy lifestyle. The SLI is a USAF pilot, so that may skew this view, but he worked out pretty regularly before he went to the academy, and has always just been aware of health concerns.

    However, one SEI I know is a raging hypochondriac. It's probably the drugs that make her that way, and possibly her background in a very permissive family (she smoked her first weed with her parents at age 12), but she uses health concerns as a way to draw attention to herself.

    I imagine, when psychologically healthy, -adepts keep themselves healthy in a nonchalant manner, cordially eschewing things that are unsanitary or unhealthy, and staying fit as a matter of course.

    JRiddy
    —————King of Socionics—————

    Ne-ENTp 7w8 sx/so

  38. #38
    strrrng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    Ni-IEI 4w3 sx/so
    Posts
    8,781
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    just saw this thread.

    Si is not health. end of discussion.

  39. #39
    xyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    7,709
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I try to stay healthy, but i'm not neurotic about it. I mean, I love me some pizza and cheezeburgers.
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

    - Voltaire

  40. #40
    Steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,457
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    just saw this thread.

    Si is not health. end of discussion.
    x2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •