Thread: Hello everyone!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hello everyone!!

Since y'all have such a wonderful community, I thought it would be only appropriate to introduce myself before crashing in

Hi...my name is Josh...and I'm an ENFj

Actually I am a weird kind of EIE/ENFj. As a child I was *extremely* introverted and always thinking and inventing things. I started programming in C-language at the age of 7-- algorithms and cracking machine code were my forte. Also, as a kid I was very earthy and outdoorsy-- mud, colorful flowers and gigantic leaves being my primary enjoyments. We used to play "oregon trail" alot. I started grappling arts and physical training at 13, and have loved it since. Are these traits not characteristic of sensing and thinking functions? 'Cause that really confuses me if I'm an ENFj. [[gardening is still a hobby of mine, btw]]

Again, to put me in a social setting was like burying a trout in desert sand. You cannot imagine how so SOOO WEIRD it was for me to gradually morph into a social creature- to thrive (oh horror!) on being around people. Right now I'm 17, and consistently test as ENFj-- all of the descriptions are frighteningly accurate. Except one thing. For some crazy reason my logic and reasoning (from bein' a programmer) haven't left me, though for some reason they are only at 100% effectiveness when I'm being "introverted."

Which brings me to my next question-- is it possible to have two separately developed personalities? Around high-energy people, I can't help but be all , but alone or around some types of introverts, I flip into being all laid back with alot of (seems like it, but idk). Both modes are perfectly comfortable and "normal" for me. If I had to choose one with which to live out the rest of my life, either would be quite pleasant.

If I'm just plumb blessed, then I'll accept it and try to put myself to good use, but if this is normal then I must admit I am thoroughly confuzed!!
    EIE/ENFj 8w2, omni variant

I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jrodatus View Post
    Since y'all have such a wonderful community, I thought it would be only appropriate to introduce myself before crashing in

Hi...my name is Josh...and I'm an ENFj

Actually I am a weird kind of EIE/ENFj. As a child I was *extremely* introverted and always thinking and inventing things. I started programming in C-language at the age of 7-- algorithms and cracking machine code were my forte. Also, as a kid I was very earthy and outdoorsy-- mud, colorful flowers and gigantic leaves being my primary enjoyments. We used to play "oregon trail" alot. I started grappling arts and physical training at 13, and have loved it since. Are these traits not characteristic of sensing and thinking functions? 'Cause that really confuses me if I'm an ENFj. [[gardening is still a hobby of mine, btw]]

Again, to put me in a social setting was like burying a trout in desert sand. You cannot imagine how so SOOO WEIRD it was for me to gradually morph into a social creature- to thrive (oh horror!) on being around people. Right now I'm 17, and consistently test as ENFj-- all of the descriptions are frighteningly accurate. Except one thing. For some crazy reason my logic and reasoning (from bein' a programmer) haven't left me, though for some reason they are only at 100% effectiveness when I'm being "introverted."

Which brings me to my next question-- is it possible to have two separately developed personalities? Around high-energy people, I can't help but be all , but alone or around some types of introverts, I flip into being all laid back with alot of (seems like it, but idk). Both modes are perfectly comfortable and "normal" for me. If I had to choose one with which to live out the rest of my life, either would be quite pleasant.

If I'm just plumb blessed, then I'll accept it and try to put myself to good use, but if this is normal then I must admit I am thoroughly confuzed!!
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

- Voltaire

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello, WEIRDO. Have a seat. What would you like to drink?
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

welcome to the forum. you do seem EIE, mostly because you said "SOOO WEIRD" and "(oh horror!)"

I think EIE logic abilities are often underestimated. I think you are fully EIE, even with the strong . When I'm around people or just feeling energetic, then I get this sort of high and I'm unable to concentrate on meaningful things. When I want to write something, I need to pull myself away from other things and just become antisocial for a while...

although I gotta admit, it's usually 20 min work, 5 min forum, 40 min work, 2 min forum, 15 min messenger, 30 min work... I just create the social distractions because after a while my mind refuses to work unless I discharge a bit. I used to be able to go 3 hours without anything social, lately never that long.
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Winterpark View Post
    Hello, WEIRDO. Have a seat. What would you like to drink?
    Cider please. Make it hot and you'll get a tip

Kristiina: Thank you, that makes sense. Sounds like it is indeed part of being EIE.

I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cider please. Make it hot and you'll get a tip
    Glad we're already communicating here. Welcome to the forums.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would you like some crisp chocolate chip cookies to go with your hot cider, sir?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Winterpark View Post
    Would you like some crisp chocolate chip cookies to go with your hot cider, sir?
    Stop hitting on me, please. And get rid of that dreadful waitress costume; it really doesn't suit you.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yep, you sound like how I acted when I was younger, my Fe didn't develop until I was 14. I was the most quiet individual I have ever known. (bit of a stretch, but yeah I was quiet.) Even at home I am quieter than how I usually am at school.
    D-SEI 9w1

This is me and my dual being scientific together

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stop hitting on me, please.
    But I LOVE weird ENFJs. Dey arr hawt!

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome Josh!

Out of curiosity, have you lived alone yet in your life..? I'm asking b/c I found that my personality changed a lot when those ppl finally got out of my face.

(i like that name too, i had a good experience with a josh as my best friend.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JuJu View Post
    Welcome Josh!

Out of curiosity, have you lived alone yet in your life..? I'm asking b/c I found that my personality changed a lot when those ppl finally got out of my face.

(i like that name too, i had a good experience with a josh as my best friend.)
    Haha thx, and I've always had good experiences with ENFp's Love your avatar, btw.

No, never lived alone, though I am looking forward to university next year for that very reason. Homeschoolers tend to grow up slower than most people-- which can be a good thing, but also has left me with a strong desire to experience the world more independently. I would expect the fulfillment of this to bring about change/growth, but now you've made me curious! How did moving away from family members change your personality??

Just for the record...

Dad = LSE/ESTj
    Mom = IEI/INFp
    Big sis = LSI/ISTj
    Big bro = LII/INTj
    Lil bro = ESE/ESFj (why can't my type GET ALONG with these fellows??)

TIM
    Ne-ENTp 7w8 sx/so
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, jrodatus! I'm Riddy.

I wouldn't find it too strange that an could be good at programming or logic in general. "Logic" is a multifaceted thing that comprises many information aspects. In more technical language, is described as "internal dynamics of bodies". What that means is that can be viewed as a heightened awareness of the processes unfolding inside of an object, acting as a bridge between its abilities (more or less, ) and its actions (more or less, ). I work as a systems developer, and I know several users in my field. Often, they are much better at visualizing the program flow than I am, and I'm a user.

You'd be surprised how different the information aspects can look when being displayed by different people. Socionics doesn't describe so much what people do as how they do it and to what ends.

Anyways, welcome to the forum!

JRiddy
    —————King of Socionics—————

Ne-ENTp 7w8 sx/so

TIM
    Ne-ENTp 7w8 sx/so
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    There's a hypothesis floating around that ENFj make for some of the best programmers because of their style of thinking called dialectical-algorithmic thinking.

They're more capable than most other types of visualizing information as a series of if -> then -> else statements.

They're also "dynamic" which gives them the ability to synthesize lots of information. This is probably helpfull when working with large algorithms.

Also, what JRiddy said. Programming is so multifaceted a thing that it's hard not to conceive of as playing a constructive part, notwithstanding the stereotype which isn't the complete picture anyway.

And welcome to the forum, btw.
    I like this way of breaking it down. But still kicks and 's ass at database design.

JRiddy
    —————King of Socionics—————

Ne-ENTp 7w8 sx/so

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    Society these days has lost its sense of reverence for childhood innocence.
    If anything people hold on to their childhood for too LONG.

- Voltaire

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LokiVanguard
    If anything people hold on to their childhood for too LONG.
    I think it can go either way, depending on a person's upbringing. A orphan boy named Samantha will be driven to abandon childhood much sooner than average. You see, that sense of childhood wonder is a sense of taking in the world, taking in "energy." Children take energy and create responsibility; adults give energy and take responsibility. And circumstances call upon a child to make this paradigm shift-- which is crucial to the growing up process. To make this paradigm shift, certainly one must first willingly abandon the childhood wonder phase. If circumstances don't demand this decision, then a kid probably will be stuck in childhood longer. If these are the circumstances that America fosters, then yeah I'd have to agree with you.

No. Their sense of wonder is ripped away too soon. Once you lose your sense of wonder, things start to crumble. People are lost. They don't have any values or morals to cling to.
    Huh? What does a sense of wonder have to do with the persistence of values and morals? Isn't childhood wonder merely a set of training wheels to the how life is *supposed* to be ridden? Once wonder is removed, yes, life is shaken-- and that is adolescence --but then the challenge is to establish a real and solid set of values, morals, joys, etc. And that's where life takes off and you truly have everything to gain.

Anywho, it's amusing to observe two Roosevelts arguing between themselves

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No. Their sense of wonder is ripped away too soon. Once you lose your sense of wonder, things start to crumble. People are lost. They don't have any values or morals to cling to.
    You can still retain your curiosity and wonder. What I meant was, people hold on too long to this idea of "no responsibilities, no commitments, no growing up" for far too long.

I would feel dead if I had no curiosity or wonder left in me.

- Voltaire

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anamericancer View Post
    Curious people are annoying.
    Your face is annoying.

- Voltaire

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey that's my line.

- Voltaire

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    There's a hypothesis floating around that ENFj make for some of the best programmers because of their style of thinking called dialectical-algorithmic thinking.

They're more capable than most other types of visualizing information as a series of if -> then -> else statements.

They're also "dynamic" which gives them the ability to synthesize lots of information. This is probably helpfull when working with large algorithms.

Also, what JRiddy said. Programming is so multifaceted a thing that it's hard not to conceive of as playing a constructive part, notwithstanding the stereotype which isn't the complete picture anyway.

And welcome to the forum, btw.
    Concisely explained. Though in the end, I doubt you'll find very many in the field for long because ENFJs...

A) ...have a tough time following rules; in my experience even if I designed a project beforehand in almost every case I fell back into Mr. Hyde the extreme programmer coding hundreds of elegantly functional BLACK BOXES. It gave me quite a rush, and that was my attraction to the trade. B) ...suffer from an extreme case of the Shiny Object Disorder. About every two weeks the ENFj spontaneously invents a new application to "take over the software market" and the previous unfinished project vanishes into oblivion. This fosters the dangerous be-an-extreme-programmer-and-quick-finish-it-in-two-weeks mentality. C) ...in many cases cannot remain stuck behind a desk for very long before experiencing the uncontrollable urge to chat someone up a wall.

My INTj brother works at Microsoft-- I've always admired his persistence (the evil empire demands alot) and tried to imitate it, but finally resolved that to be a programmer is not my destiny

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome (c:
    EIE seems possible to me, judging from your posts.
    If you are sure of your family's types, that could be a good way to confirm your own type. Especially, how do you get along with LSI sister and LSE dad?
    LSI

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow. Way too articulate for age 17.

Precocious! Precocious! Naw... really, I'm just envious that I wasn't that smart when I was 17. Next to your presentation here, I was merely a silly schoolgirl. Didn't even really explore psychological concepts like typology and personality until college.

Perhaps you're just an "old soul", grasping concepts that are usually beyond the ken of many of your contemporaries.
    socio: INFp - IEI
    ennea: 4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
    Only kings, presidents, editors, and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial 'we'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aka-kitsune View Post
    Perhaps you're just an "old soul", grasping concepts that are usually beyond the ken of many of your contemporaries.
    Thanks for the compliment but it's part of being homeschooled. The frequency of stereotypical socially retarded eggheads among said culture isn't... surprising Could be interesting to study the effect of homeschooling on personality development?

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin
    How can you argue that when the very thing that ripped away their sense of wonder is in fact, the same thing that actively prevents them from learning and establishing a "real and solid sense of values, morals, joys, etc."? What happens when their sense of wonder is gone and they're left to base their swirling moral compass on a very much intact sense of ethical indifference?
    Good question. If indeed that which ripped away those "training wheels" is in fact the very thing that actively prevents them from learning and establishing solid bike riding and navigation skills, how does *anyone* learn to ride a bike? By trial and err-- helmets and scraped knees? By example? All of the above. So it is with finding the north pole on a swirling moral compass. Regardless whether you believe in objective reality, the needle will settle on a moral pole with the help of parents/influences and trial and err. Circumstances demand it. Of course, the adult who never made it past adolescence will still be searching for moral guidance, but in general the compass does tend to settle. Life demands it. But ymmv.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes, very articulate for one so young. EIE you are and your being homeschooled did a great job. heehee. i homeschool my 4, but I NEVER would have been that articulate if i was homeschooled. i'm much too dreamy for that. i'm feeling a kinship with the IEIs and SEIs......my didn't come out of it's shell until recently and i'm 38! but it's having fun doing it now.

me at 18:strrrng

welcome and it WOULD be interesting to see the correlation between personality development and being homeschooled. i'm in the middle of my "experiment" with it now.....and have been using my *knowings* of the two within it.

lv
    kj

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the compliment but it's part of being homeschooled. The frequency of stereotypical socially retarded eggheads among said culture isn't... surprising Could be interesting to study the effect of homeschooling on personality development?
    Well... I'd also have to add that despite NOT being homeschooled (and instead being sent off to Catholic school) I turned out to be socially retarded nonetheless...

Thus, I was very "sheltered" in many a sense...

Am overall, the result of a childhood of mostly solitary subjective imagination. I have never felt or been socially apt. I run shrieking from the idea of "social networking"... (though, perhaps that's more of an aversion to exposure thing).
    socio: INFp - IEI
    ennea: 4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
    Only kings, presidents, editors, and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial 'we'.