Thread: The French Revolution - Ti/Fe

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The French Revolution - Ti/Fe

Has anyone else studied the French Revolution and thought "gah Ti/Fe axis"?

I've been able to look at it from a few different angles this semester, looking at Rousseau and the General Will...

I am curious if anyone else has noted this?
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm waiting to see if anyone is actually going to talk about the French Revolution before I spend much more time going in depth. I'm just going to get remarks about cake, then I'll pass.

The French Revolution was based on taking enlightenment ideals of Reason and trying to put them into a government. Robespierre, yes, is the figurehead for LII. But I am also getting at this idea of the General Will, and how it was supposed to embody the state. So, basically, the state was supposed to be supremely reasonable, and therefore correct. If you were against the state something was wrong with you... etc.

(extremely generalized thus far)

The gah has to do with seeing Ti/Fe used to unfortunate ends. (Perhaps)
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UDP View Post
    Has anyone else studied the French Revolution and thought "gah Ti/Fe axis"?
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No.

The French Revolution was Robbespierre and his band of merry men hunting down rich bitches sucking on fat bastards' cocks.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    Robespierre screamed really loud as he was being guillotined to death. I'm thinking Si-ha.
    Yeah but he didn't foresee his fate - clearly weak Ni. Couple that with his displeasure with the sensation of being beheaded, and he's probably Si ego, then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.

I pity your souls

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, obviously ISTp. It's undeniable. Anyone that thinks otherwise is a hopeless, hollow maggot with dirty dishwater for brains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.

I pity your souls

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alpha and Beta are the "revolutionary" types.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"revolutionary" in this case = "powdery-nosed "

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sigh, except for the Robspery part that was the reign of Louis XV. Read your history young man.
    I studied it in Year Eight (that's like your Ninth Grade); I'm now at university. All I remember is that the peasants stormed a bastion. I don't even think we studied Robespierre at all. Bite me.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hah the brits laughed at the Frenchies. What was that guy, Edmund Burke? Who wrote about criticisms of it? Those silly peasants from French getting involved in "ideals" that would ultimately lead to nothing.

Let me see here....

Wiki says...
    Although Burke had supported the American War for Independence, which he saw as an appropriate response to the situation regarding the American colonists, he foresaw the French Revolution in his Reflections on the Revolution in France in November 1790, and took a stand against them.[5] With it, Burke became one of the earliest and fiercest critics in Britain of the French Revolution. He saw it, not as movement towards a representative, constitutional democracy, but rather as a violent rebellion against tradition and proper authority and as an experiment disconnected from the complex realities of human society. Burke argued that the new doctrines of France were simple and abstract, that since they did not recognize the nature and orders of people, it could never replace the present ones. As such, he predicted, it would end in disaster. Burke vehemently disagreed with Rousseau's theory of the "Popular Will" believing that most men in a nation are not qualified to govern it and should look to men of finer uprbringing and higher Christian education (the law of natural Aristocracy or the Landed Gentry) who are by their position, naturally responsible to them and the nation as a whole. He professed that a civilized people could not naturally be made up of people with the same distinctions, positions and interests. An attempt by the multitude of a country to govern eachother's affairs would inevitably move the country away from personal merit and distinction towards an unprincipled, enervating mediocrity. Moreover, he asserted that the French doctrines fundamentally worked against the interests of the people and endangered their most prized and cherished treasures themselves.
    Last edited by UDP; 05-03-2008 at 04:53 PM. Reason: His first name is spelled "Edmund"

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe that the British education system would give a biased overview of such an important event in French history.
    The British have, admittedly, been arrogant in the past regarding various historical events and occurrences. The thing is, we have won a lot to back this confidence up. People often call Britain an LSE nation. This could well be true now, but it's only fifty years old at most. Before the war, we certainly enjoyed our fair share of Se.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First, I don't think that that quote is an accurate description of Burke's actual views.

Second, yes: the French Revolution ended up being dominated by Alpha-Beta concepts of building a new society from scratch, according to a clear Ti structure, while the American revolution had more a Gamma-Delta character. That is why European supporters of the American revolution, like Thomas Paine and Lafayette (and Burke himself), sooner or later were dismayed with the French Revolution.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    First, I don't think that that quote is an accurate description of Burke's actual views.

Second, yes: the French Revolution ended up being dominated by Alpha-Beta concepts of building a new society from scratch, according to a clear Ti structure, while the American revolution had more a Gamma-Delta character. That is why European supporters of the American revolution, like Thomas Paine and Lafayette (and Burke himself), sooner or later were dismayed with the French Revolution.
    Once Alpha Quadra does something right, be sure to let us know.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    Once Alpha Quadra does something right, be sure to let us know.
    Where did I say that the French Revolution did nothing right?
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    Where did I say that the French Revolution did nothing right?
    I was joking.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box