Thread: Do IEIs/INFps use a lot of analogies?

TIM
    SEE-Se
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Do IEIs/INFps use a lot of analogies?

Do IEI's tend to use a lot of analogies? The ones I know don't, but I'm curious about other IEI's.
    SEE-Se, 852 sx/so

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I do. Particularly when I'm trying to express how I'm feeling and I see that the person I'm talking to doesn't understand, when I used to have serious sinus migraines that would last for hours and make me seem angry to the point that others were intimidated I'd tell people it felt like there was a vacuum in my brain sucking the juices dry, which is disgusting, which is actually how I felt - to the point that I would actively isolate myself from everyone for fear of infecting them with my mood. Sometimes people probably see these types of things(analogies) as exaggerations but I try to only use them when the person I'm with is a logical type and comes off as oblivious to my state of mind.
    INFp-Ni

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by misutii View Post
    Sometimes people probably see these types of things(analogies) as exaggerations but I try to only use them when the person I'm with is a logical type and comes off as oblivious to my state of mind.
    I know an IEI who does this a lot when he talks to me. From my point of view it makes him a bit easier to understand.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I probably do use analogies, but can't really tell whether I use them more often than, say, metaphors or similies, which I am likely equally fond of.

In any case, I think in visual terms and usually strive to illustrate my written and spoken points in vivid terms as well. I favor creating very clear "experiences" when attempting to describe certain things.

Quote Originally Posted by misutii
    Sometimes people probably see these types of things(analogies) as exaggerations but I try to only use them when the person I'm with is a logical type and comes off as oblivious to my state of mind.
    Odd. I probably tend to use analogies and visual metaphors more often with non-logical types. Basically, the aim is to amuse them and evoke a reaction. Logical types usually don't react. Blank expressions and furrowed brows are really no fun.
    socio: INFp - IEI
    ennea: 4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
    Only kings, presidents, editors, and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial 'we'.

what is essential is invisible to the eye fox's Avatar
    TIM
    Seer
    Mentioned
    367 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by misutii View Post
    Same here. I find that I mostly really use them with logical types to help them understand my points.
    Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    betas should be kept in zoos for children to stare and throw pop corn at.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aka-kitsune View Post

Odd. I probably tend to use analogies and visual metaphors more often with non-logical types. Basically, the aim is to amuse them and evoke a reaction. Logical types usually don't react. Blank expressions and furrowed brows are really no fun.
    Well naturally there's eight 'logical types' so I should have been more specific lol. But take for instance ESTps, ENTps, ISTjs (types commonly favourable towards INFps), I also find it true with some INTps (common Ni). But ESTjs... nope they just look at me weird no matter what I say so I don't bother lol
    INFp-Ni

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

do EIEs use analogies too? i use them all of the time and i've been feeling more IEI like as i've been here. could be EIE Ni subtype thing, but just checking......

lv
    kj

TIM
    Ni-IEI 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

beta NF's tend to be the most prone to abstract analogies. Maybe INFp's do it more naturally, since Ni is their primary function. It's the nature of the function pairing; when thinking about something, you will develop some internal feel for it and indirectly connect it with something else.

Quote Originally Posted by aka-kitsune View Post
    Logical types usually don't react. Blank expressions and furrowed brows are really no fun.
    Interesting. That is the reaction to my INFp friend's analogies most of the time. Usually because I find the thing he is comparing to be a generalization or stereotype. Or, worse of all, in a context only he could understand. Like he might compare something to a duck. And I will think about it and say "What do you mean? That is nothing like a duck." He will say "You know how ducks do this." And I say "Ohhhhh ducks don't naturally do that, just the one you saw. Are you sure it was a duck?" Mind you this is just a rough example. Or it could be like this and I say "I can't in no way undestand what you mean by your analogy because I can't know what you mean by redness. Can you think of an object that has a similar redness?" And he will respond back with "It was very red." I will say "You did not answer my question." He will then say "I just did." Stuff like that makes me frustrated.

Illusionaries. Never get the response you were hoping for. I still will always apperciate INFps though.
    ILE

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I tend to lapse a lot into analogy use because it effectively conveys a particular "essence" across topics... Analogies are very useful for translating meaning that comes in your own mind in a form that isn't necessarily in words, to someone else so that that same image is communicated into their mind and then they know your meaning. Once the meaning is understood, people are oriented in the same way, in the same context, and it makes further communication that much easier. Once someone has a good picture of they way you're conceptualizing something, they can fill in more blanks correctly, and this saves bickering over semantics or trivial points, enabling people to cut across to the substance or point of the matter.
    i completely agree here, just what i do. do EIEs do that as much?

love
    kj