Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
I agree. I remember reading an article on Rick's site where he was saying his experience of mormonism has it with a heavy influence on Fi. Some others he talks of focus on Se- ie through harsh acts of self denial and conquering ones bodies needs, and such.
Note: This was originally posted in the ILI Appreciation Thread in the Gamma Section. I moved it after it became clear to me that it was not relevant to that thread, and represented a tangent. So it gets its own thread now.

Though I believe all elements can be found in any religious group, I've noticed some patterns within Christian denominations. If I had to associate major subgroups of Christianity with types I'd do it kinda like this:
  • - Catholicism. Emphasis on certain actions that represent inner change. Methodology in worship extremely important, with a visible hierarchy in place.
  • - Protestantism (Lutherans, Methodists, Anglicans, etc.). Initially started as an emphasis on "grace," deals heavily with relation between God and man. Elements of church hierarchy, but viewed more as a useful structure than as an integral part of faith. Churches emphasize "social gospel" of altruism.
  • - Calvinism (Presbyterians, Congregationalists, etc.). Emphasis on the structural nature of the relationship between God and man. Explanation of concepts and doctrine very important. Limited hierarchy, but strong alignment with theological leaders and movements.
  • - Evangelicalism (Baptists, Pentecostals, etc.). Emphasis on experiencing God personally. More unstructured worship and emphasis on the autonomy of local congregations and individuals. Unstable inter-church organization, with followers gravitating to strong personalities.

This is just my interpretation. I do not feel qualified to suggest integral types for other faiths that I have not been as exposed to. I'd like to hear from people of any religious or nonreligious background to broaden my perspective on this.