Thread: Jim Jones

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Jim Jones

I wasn't even aware of this until I read about it in Robert B. Cialdini's Influence last night. For those of you that haven't heard about it - it's apparently infamous - a reverend called Jim Jones ordered The People's Temple, his spiritual organisation, to commit mass suicide, and they willingly did so.

There's a very slight bit of footage on the video, but read his wiki and see what you think.

They say these people died because he ordered them to, then they said it they don't know why they died because he ordered them to. Well, I know why, and I'm not going to tell you, because I can use the same tactic he used to make some money. If you want to know why, read the book.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Jim Jones- Jonestown

ESFp-Fi sub
    6w7 sx/so/sp

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EIE.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    EIE.
    EIE seemed too obvious to me... wtf is up with all the psycho, power hungry leaders being EIE?!
    ESFp-Fi sub
    6w7 sx/so/sp

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by liveandletlive View Post
    EIE seemed too obvious to me... wtf is up with all the psycho, power hungry leaders being EIE?!
    "Power hungry" is a good summary of the hidden agenda of EIEs, just like "money hungry" is for LIEs.

EIEs' focus is on the emotional atmosphere of those around them, which they want to shape according to their own beliefs - precisely what is likely to make you an inspirational leader.

Anyway, LIEs and SEEs (for instance) can also sometimes act as power-hungry, maybe even psychos. But they are not likely to found a successful religious movement, not one based on their charisma (L. Ron Hubbard may have been LIE, but he did not use his own personality to promote Scientology, rather his writings).

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    "Power hungry" is a good summary of the hidden agenda of EIEs, just like "money hungry" is for LIEs.

EIEs' focus is on the emotional atmosphere of those around them, which they want to shape according to their own beliefs - precisely what is likely to make you an inspirational leader.

Anyway, LIEs and SEEs (for instance) can also sometimes act as power-hungry, maybe even psychos. But they are not likely to found a successful religious movement, not one based on their charisma (L. Ron Hubbard may have been LIE, but he did not use his own personality to promote Scientology, rather his writings).
    To be fair, Scientology is not a religion; it's an enterprise marketing scheme.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    To be fair, Scientology is not a religion; it's an enterprise marketing scheme.
    Fair enough.

On Jim Jones, I remember when that happened. It was a major shock everywhere. Soon enough there was a movie about it, with Stuart Whitman playing Jones. Later there was a mini-series; I forgot who played him there.