The Next Step in Socionics Understanding: Perspectives, Dynamics, and Subfunctions
It's not immediately clear what there is beyond the psychic domians and information/energy aspects and functions. (assuming there is anything at all). However, there do seem to be a lot of different ways we use the functions in conjunction with each other (their mutual dynamics); in particular, it seems we may actually have preferences for their use.
The rules of entandromia (the self-regulation of psyche) imply two rules for interfunctional dynamics:
- the dynamics of one function with another must be symmetrically mirrored by all other functions. (barring an actual relational deficiency as in the case of immanence).
Ex: if Ti relates to Fe, then Te must relate to Fi; Ni to Se; and Si to Ne.
- the relation of one function with another must be matched by the relatee to the relator.
Ex: if Ti relates to Fe, then Fe relates also to Ti in essentially the same manner. If the base function relates to the suggestive function in a given way, then the suggestive function must also, on its turn, relate back to the base by a similar method. By this, the self-regulation of the psyche is maintained.
I have deduced thus far the following functional dynamics:
- Repression: each element seeks to repress (on its turn) its polar antithesis. '+' and '-' are ever at war, not unlike similar poles of an electromagnet. If you bring one positively charged magnet against another, the two will repel. If you force one positive charge to the place of another, then the other charge has been displaced. So it is with '+' and '-'. (+/- as used with IM elements are situational or relative polarities, which cannot be objectively defined as positive/negative).
The point of repression is make the repressed as stunted of growth and uninformed as possible. This means that it is using as little of the mental energy available to the mind as possible, and that the repressor has an uneven share of this reservior.
- Compensation: each element, on its turn, seeks to increase its awareness and capability by a given magnitude. The scale of this magnitude is proportional to the corresponding magnitude of its polar contrary. (its background element, which is of opposing attitude and opposite sign). When this increase is accomplished, the immediate contrary (opposite attitude of the same sign) must raise its own level in proportion to the same.
Ex: if -Ti deduces a new logical discovery, then the question follows as to what facts can be deduced from it? The derival of these facts, which are discerned from the observation of events in time, is the act of -Te compensating for -Ti. Likewise, one can use facts to deduce further logical awareness. A possibility may well point to a new logic, but is this logic consistent with the facts available? If not, then what is the basis for logic, or even its relevance? Whenever one uses one function to validate another, compensation is at work.
- The integral, or duality dynamic, is the degree to which an element creates conditions under which its dual of the same sign (its immediate dual) can increase its own content level. For example, a logical conclusion about the world may well be made, but will it be received as relevant to society? Conversely, does the mood of a population assist or frustrate the search for greater logic awareness? If the mood toward something is negative, then logic directs that one take care when approaching it -- there is considerable internal conflict over whether or not to even consider it. Such a mood may be judged as harmful to logical analysis. (consider the witchcraft hysteria of the Middle Ages) This mood represses the observation of clear logic and thus, may be judged as an oppressor of Ti processing. However it only oppresses -Ti; +Ti, as a strategic observer (the "military genius"), thrived during the period and was much sought after by leaders of the time because of the military advantage it gave to them.)
- A countervailing dynamic exists between antithesi, which illuminates the differences between '+' and '-'. Every element is fixated
first and foremost on its antithesis, and is alert to any bid by its antithesis to overtake it. However, '+' always means the subject and '-' always means the object, in the Jungian sense. '-' elements observe first the object as threatening the subject, facing the subject with the need to counter. '+' elements observe first the subject imposing on the object, then the retaliation of the object. Note that we are only speaking of identification of the subject and object, not disposition toward either as is implied by extroverted/introverted attitude.
- The motive for compensation is supression. If left unchecked, the background will outpace and, theoretically, overwhelm the foreground by creating enough foundation for its antithesis to present a "devil's advocate" argument for its own supremacy. Whether or not this can actually happen depends on the stability of the mind which experiences it; in cases of a total overcoming by the antithesis, the person may experience blackout as a means of maintaining ego-integrity in the face of overtaken mentality. (although I would argue that the case of Darth Vader turning to the Dark Side in SW, and similarly, German soldiers who participated in the Holocaust despite being personally disgusted by it, are examples of "fallen" mentality as the chosen path of the ego.) To preclude antithesis overtake, the competence of the foreground must be competitive with the competence of the background. (it is not enough to simply acknowledge what you observe; you must also add something substantial, to your own understanding. Problems must have solutions).
[more later on these]
In addition to these, there are also the transcendent and immanent foregroud/background switches. Other dynamics are more subtle. For example, the rescendency (unhealthy) dynamic chains a given element's intentions to the benefit of either its immediate contrary or its antithesis. (more research is needed on this, however intuition observes that the immediate contrary type is given to various forms of hysteria (commonly dubbed "chronic personality disorders" by mainstream psychologists), while the antithetical type is driven toward the total destruction of itself and everything around it). ***EDIT: "hysteric" recendency is effected by a reverse suppression dynamic, which exhalts the background over the foreground. Instead of competing against the background member of a given function, rescendent functions seek to raise the competence of the background at the expense of the foreground. Thus there is a constant tussle between "good" and "evil" in the psyche: the rescendent are always attempting to suppress what they see as a violent social imposition on the subconsicous, usually by committing acts the majority find disturbing, even violating. The destroyer manifest of this type seeks not merely to suppress, however, but to undermine and corrupt: the competence of the background is exhalted at the expense of the foreground.
There are varying degrees to which we may be aware of these dynamics in our own personalities. The more awareness of your own dynamics that you have, the better you know yourself. This gives you an advantage over those who are less self-aware in a given situation, leading to a sort of de facto heiarchial system due to the capacity for personal will which stems from self-awareness. While a hiearchy system does indeed exist, the limited mental output of the brain from moment to moment ensures that all healthily functioning minds, and that self-awareness may or may not be relevant -- or even desirable -- to the task. (in particular, more self-aware types tend to find rote routine work, such as working at a factory assembly line, less tolerable than do the less aware).
[still more coming]
Subfunctions are aspects of the mind which themself aspects of information and observable by means of the functions. For example, memory consists of aspects for each of the functions: the Ni order in which events take place; the Si imagery of the scene; the Fe psychology and experience of the scene; the Fi emotions felt during it; the Se environment of it; the Ti logic surrounding it; the Te activity of it; and the Ne happenings of it. (ordered by Ni) If you look at the emotions of the mind, there are: lust, greed, desire, happiness, contentment, anger... all of which are either Fe or Fi. Fe anger can reduce Fi desire for someone (or suppress it, anyway); public disgust with a company can reduce demand for its product. Once the interfuctional dynamics have been charted, the long, probably endless task of considering all the different ways the aspects interact with each other, using the function dynamics as a guide, will remain. This is the true legacy of socionics to mankind.
However, let use turn our attention now to those aspects of reality which do not neatly fit into one element or another. Yes, just as there are processing dynamics between the functions, so are there aspect dynamics which arise from their interaction. Fact may be one of these, because if Te is work and Fi is enduring emotion (motive), then Te looking at Fi says, "Whenever X work happens, Y is observed. Thus Y is a fact of X." As an example, consider the force of gravity as experienced on earth: when an object falls (the work) it always accelerates at 9.8 meters/sec. The acceleration rate is constant and thus, a fact of gravitation on earth. This may be why strong Te types prize fact.
EDIT 4/28/2008: added details regarding constellation
EDIT 4/19/2008: added rescendent/unhealthy suppresion passage
EDIT 4/20/2008: added subfuction, aspect dynamics passage
Last edited by tcaudilllg; 04-28-2008 at 04:54 AM.
(10,000 char limit....)
Notes on constellation and transcendence:
The transcendence dynamic operates by allowing a given IM element to observe its own foundation in the domain of its immediate contrary. By such means the relevance of observation may be verified by the immediate contrary as a third party. Activation of the trancendent function is compensated for by the constellation of all non-transcendence-capable immediate contrary pairs against the non-transcended functions' background elements. In the case of LII, transcended -Ti/-Te is matched by +Ni coming to +Ne's defense against -Ni; -Fe to -Fi against +Fe; +Si to +Se against -Se; etc.