View Poll Results: what type was Anthony Bourdain?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • ILE (ENTp)

1 33.33%
  • SEI (ISFp)

1 33.33%
  • ESE (ESFj)

0 0%
  • LII (INTj)

0 0%
  • SLE (ESTp)

0 0%
  • IEI (INFp)

0 0%
  • EIE (ENFj)

1 33.33%
  • LSI (ISTj)

0 0%
  • SEE (ESFp)

0 0%
  • ILI (INTp)

0 0%
  • LIE (ENTj)

0 0%
  • ESI (ISFj)

0 0%
  • IEE (ENFp)

0 0%
  • SLI (ISTp)

0 0%
  • LSE (ESTj)

0 0%
  • EII (INFj)

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Anthony Bourdain

Creepy-bg

Default Anthony Bourdain

I can't get enough of this guys show on the travel channel. he's too cool for words

Last edited by silke; 08-21-2018 at 11:53 PM. Reason: updated links

Creepy-bg

his opinions on the food network...

I actually WATCH Food Network now and again, more often than not drawn in by the progressive horrors on screen. I find myself riveted by its awfulness, like watching a multi-car accident in slow motion. Mesmerized at the ascent of the Ready-Made bobblehead personalities, and the not-so-subtle shunting aside of the Old School chefs, I find myself de-constructing the not-terrible shows, imagining behind the scenes struggles and frustrations, and obsessing unhealthily on the Truly Awful ones. Screaming out loud at Sandra Lee in disbelief as she massacres another dish, then sits grinning, her face stretched into a terrifying rictus of faux cheer for the final triumphant presentation. I mourn for Mario..and Alton...Bobby and yes--even Emeril, nobly holding the fort while the TV empire he helped build crumbles like undercooked Bundt cake into a goo of Cheez Wiz around him.

Some thoughts on the Newer, Younger, More Male-Oriented, More Dumb-Ass Food Network:

ALTON BROWN: How did Alton slip inside the wire--and stay there all these years? He must have something on them. He’s smart. You actually learn something from his commentary. And I’ll admit it: I watch and enjoy Iron Chef America-in all its cheesy glory. Absolutely SHOCKED and thrilled when guys like Homaru Cantu show up as contestants--and delighted when Mario wins--again and again, forestalling his secretly long-planned execution. His commentary is mostly good. And that collar-bone snapping fall off the motorcycle on Feasting On Asphalt? Good television!

EMERIL: I’m actually grateful when I channel surf across his show. He’s STILL there--the original Behemoth. And I STILL find him unwatchable. As much mileage as I’ve gotten over the years, making fun of Emeril; he deserves a lot more respect than I’ve given him. He does run a very successful and very decent restaurant group. He is--in fact--a really nice guy. And-as much as I hate the show-- compared to the current crop of culinary non-entities, he looks like Escoffier. He will probably be the last of the Real Chefs. I’m sure they’re growing future replacement options in petrie dishes somewhere, conducting Top Secret focus groups at suburban malls with their latest Bright Young Hopeful. I’m just glad he’s still there--a rebuke to the geniuses who brought us such Great Ideas as Dweezil and Lisa.

BOBBY FLAY: They seem to have noticed Bobby’s strong “negatives” among some viewer responses during focus groups--and decided to respond by subjecting poor Bobby to THROWDOWN; the object of which is to allow every web-fingered geek with a backyard grill--or half-mad muffin maker to proclaim, “I beat Bobby Flay at makin’ barbeque!” at the heart-warming end of show--before returning to tend their meth labs.. I watched poor Bobby battle to a draw recently in some bogus Southwestern “Chili Face-Off.” Now…does ANYONE actually believe that Bobby Flay can’t make a better chili than a supermarket ground beef bearing amateur? I don’t. It’s a cruel exercise in humiliation. A variation on “Dunk Bozo” or “Shoot The Geek,” at the carnival. And whatever I might have thought of Flay’s previous TV efforts, I find the network’s misuse of one of their founding chefs to be nauseatingly cynical. The conspiratorial-minded might be tempted to suspect this as yet another part of the Secret Plan to rid themselves of the annoyingly big ticket chefs--by driving Bobby to quit--or insane with misery. He may not be Mr. Cuddlesworth, but he’s a successful businessman and a good chef--and he doesn’t, after all, need this shit.

MARIO!
    Oh, Mario! Oh great one! They shut down Molto Mario--only the smartest and best of the stand-up cooking shows. Is there any more egregiously under-used, criminally mishandled, dismissively treated chef on television? Relegated to the circus of Iron Chef America, where--like a great, toothless lion, fouling his cage, he hangs on--and on--a major draw (and often the only reason to watch the show). How I would like to see him unchained, free to make the television shows he’s capable of, the Real Mario--in all his Rabelasian brilliance. How I would love to hear the snapping bones of his cruel FN ringmasters, crunching between his mighty jaws! Let us see the cloven hooves beneath those cheery clogs! Let Mario be Mario!

THAT ACE OF CAKES GUY: Hey…He’s got talent! And..he seems to be a trained chef! And he’s really making food--and selling it in a real business! I think…I like it! If I have one reservation, it’s that I have no idea if the stuff actually TASTES good. It LOOKS really creative and quirky--and I’m interested but…I mean...it’s like construction going on over there from what we’re told and shown. One suspects that the producers don’t want to waste valuable time talking about anything so technical as food--on “Food” Network. I mean...what’s in those cakes, beneath the icing and marzipan and fondant? That said, it’s the only “kicky, new, cutting edge, in-your-face” hopeful they’ve managed to trot out of any quality in memory. Hope it lasts. Wait till they try and put the poor bastard on a pony--or do a “Tailgate Special” with the usual suspects. Or a “Thanksgiving Special” where he has to sit down with the bobbleheads and pretend to like it. On balance, it’s still probably the best new project they’ve come up with in a long, long time.

GIADA: What’s going on here!? Giada can actually cook! She was robbed in her bout versus Rachael Ray on ICA. ROBBED! And Food Net seems more interested in her enormous head (big head equals big ratings. Really!) and her cleavage--than the fact that she’s likeable, knows what she’s doing in an Italian kitchen--and makes food you’d actually want to eat. The new high concept Weekend Getaway show is a horrible, tired re-cap of the cheap-ass “Best Of” and “40 Dollar a Day” formula. Send host to empty restaurant. Watch them make crappy food for her. Have her take a few lonely, awkward stabs at the plate, then feign enjoyment with appropriately orgasmic eye-closing and moaning..Before spitting it out and rushing to the trailer. Send her to Italy and let her cook. She’s good at it.

RACHAEL: Complain all you want. It’s like railing against the pounding surf. She only grows stronger and more powerful. Her ear-shattering tones louder and louder. We KNOW she can’t cook. She shrewdly tells us so. So...what is she selling us? Really? She’s selling us satisfaction, the smug reassurance that mediocrity is quite enough. She’s a friendly, familiar face who appears regularly on our screens to tell us that “Even your dumb, lazy ass can cook this!” Wallowing in your own crapulence on your Cheeto-littered couch you watch her and think, “Hell…I could do that. I ain’t gonna…but I could--if I wanted! Now where’s my damn jug a Diet Pepsi?” Where the saintly Julia Child sought to raise expectations, to enlighten us, make us better--teach us--and in fact, did, Rachael uses her strange and terrible powers to narcotize her public with her hypnotic mantra of Yummo and Evoo and Sammys. “You’re doing just fine. You don’t even have to chop an onion--you can buy it already chopped. Aspire to nothing…Just sit there. Have another Triscuit…Sleep….sleep….”

PAULA DEEN: I’m reluctant to bash what seems to be a nice old lady. Even if her supporting cast is beginning to look like the Hills Have Eyes--and her food a True Buffet of Horrors. A recent Hawaii show was indistinguishable from an early John Waters film. And the food on a par with the last scene of Pink Flamingos. But I’d like to see her mad. Like her look-alike, Divine in the classic, “Female Trouble.“ Paula Deen on a Baltimore Killing Spree would be something to see. Let her get Rachael in a headlock--and it’s all over.

SANDRA LEE: Pure evil. This frightening Hell Spawn of Kathie Lee and Betty Crocker seems on a mission to kill her fans, one meal at a time. She Must Be Stopped. Her death-dealing can-opening ways will cut a swath of destruction through the world if not contained. I would likely be arrested if I suggested on television that any children watching should promptly go to a wooded area with a gun and harm themselves. What’s the difference between that and Sandra suggesting we fill our mouths with Ritz Crackers, jam a can of Cheez Wiz in after and press hard? None that I can see. This is simply irresponsible programming. Its only possible use might be as a psychological warfare strategy against the resurgent Taliban--or dangerous insurgent groups. A large-racked blonde repeatedly urging Afghans and angry Iraqis to stuff themseles with fatty, processed American foods might be just the weapon we need to win the war on terror.

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like his show too. I always thought of him as ENTP.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I were to pick any male celebrity to hang out with for a week on vacation, I'd probably choose him. I imagine it'd be a laughfest the whole time.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Default Anthony Bourdain

So yea....

ILE

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SEE
    Last edited by Jake; 02-14-2017 at 10:15 PM.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I just started reading kitchen confidential. My impression so far is that Fe HA is good, and either high Se or sx. Maybe 7w8.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

SEE

Handled well relations, experienced the world by taking advantage of his sensing. No way he is base just watch how sure he is of everything. Not a scatterbrain.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    Sx/Sp 2w3
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SLE
    ・゚*✧ 𝓘 𝓌𝒾𝓁𝓁 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝒶𝒸𝒸𝑒𝓅𝓉 𝒶 𝓁𝒾𝒻𝑒 𝓘 𝒹𝑜 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝒹𝑒𝓈𝑒𝓇𝓋𝑒 ✧*:・゚

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I'm becoming more unsure about what I think as I read more. I just came across this passage I found really interesting - something that strikes me as pretty cool by dint of being very different from myself and what I could pull off, even if I'm not sure I like it as a quality. Something about it strikes me as dynamic, idk if anyone picks up something different from it

At various times during my labors, I manage to conduct two clandestine meetings out on the street: agent reports on the activities of the previous night (after my departure). I'm investigating the grill man incident from the manager's log. Nothing earthshaking. I have another brief encounter near the liquor room with someone who gives me the latest gossip from our Miami store and a rundown of latest developments at Le Marais, our sister restaurant on 47th Street, as well as some speculation about imminent moves by upper management and ownership. Again, nothing I don't know or assume already. I like my bosses - and think they like me - so it's really only curiosity, not paranoia, that keeps me collecting and analyzing information from our distant outposts and conference rooms. Also, I like to hear different accounts of the same incident from different sources. It adds perspective and reveals, sometimes, what a particular source is leaving out, or skewing to leave a particular impression, making me wonder: why? I like to tell selected people things in supposed confidence a few times a week, for fun. Later, when it comes back to me it provides an interesting road map of data transfer, a barium meal, revealing who squeals and to whom. There are a number of interesting variations on this practice - feeding false information to a known loudmouth, for instance, with a particular target in mind. A lot of what I hear is utterly useless, untrue, and uninteresting. But I like to keep myself informed. You never know what might prove useful later.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

bump - anyone wanna give thoughts on the above excerpt? i'm curious about the kind of thought process that produces that.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lump View Post
    bump - anyone wanna give thoughts on the above excerpt? i'm curious about the kind of thought process that produces that.
    I have a Ni-ILI friend who likes to use those strategies (in a work setting). It seems to be a pastime for him.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I like Anthony Bourdain a lot. I don't really know what type he is, but I would not rule gamma NT out

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bourdain, one of the most lovable ILEs on the planet, has passed away today...

RIP Anthony, I'll empty a bottle of wine to your memory tonite!
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I really liked his show one of the few things on TV I could really get into. RIP. I totally understand

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

“Travel isn’t always pretty. It isn’t always comfortable. Sometimes it hurts, it even breaks your heart. But that’s okay. The journey changes you; it should change you… You take something with you. Hopefully, you leave something good behind.” AB

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anthony Bourdain - ENFJ - Hamlet

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LIE contact subtype

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We might speculate he committed suicide mainly because suffering many ethical regrets

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And why not?

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nefnaf View Post
    We might speculate he committed suicide mainly because suffering many ethical regrets
    I always thought he had sad eyes, what I call "The Look". The look of someone who has learned too much in life, knows too much for his own good, and suffers from it because he has not completely detached. It is one of the great risks of the EP temperament.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nefnaf View Post
    And why not?
    Many people have regrets of all kinds without committing suicide. So regrets, which he said he had, are not the sole factor.

Completing suicide depends on multiple factors, and the best research doesn’t indicate regrets per se as one of them, but regrets could be an aspect of one factor.

I also disagree with an LIE typing for him.

TIM
    Celestial Sli
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

So sad, I loved his show too

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I never was crazy about him, though not saying I disliked him or anything. Felt he was hard to get to know because he always did what the illuminati/society wanted him to do and was a 'joiner' whereas I'm the opposite. I rebel. Just don't think we'd get along cuz of conflicting values.

Him being gamma sounds good. Gammas like to mesh themselves with uppity Te institutions.

Sad that he killed himself, nobody should deal with that pain. Gammas take life too seriously too much of the time and I feel bad for them. (And he would personally hate my brand of helping and sternly throw food at me.) Though if they lightened up like an Alpha that would be totally ridiculous to their core.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BandD View Post
    I never was crazy about him, though not saying I disliked him or anything. Felt he was hard to get to know because he always did what the illuminati/society wanted him to do and was a 'joiner' whereas I'm the opposite. I rebel. Just don't think we'd get along cuz of conflicting values.

Him being gamma sounds good. Gammas like to mesh themselves with uppity Te institutions.

Sad that he killed himself, nobody should deal with that pain. Gammas take life too seriously too much of the time and I feel bad for them. (And he would personally hate my brand of helping and sternly throw food at me.) Though if they lightened up like an Alpha that would be totally ridiculous to their core.
    Did you happen to read his books? He was not drawn to uppity institutions, he considered himself a misfit and liked lowbrow and ordinary environments.

His shows were focused on everyday people and everyday food.

His original claim to fame was exposing the dark, seedy underbelly of what is presented to the dining public as “fancy.” He did retain appreciation for truly fine food, but not its trappings.

@crAck, I think depressive behaviors and attitudes can be type-related to an extent, but any type can have clinical depression. His addictions prob altered his brain chemistry, too. Just as an anecdotal aside, one person I know with long-term severe clinical depression is LII and went into a research career to study depression among other things.

I like the ILE typing for Bourdain.

Also, he was just a pretty unusual person and not likely a straightforward exemplar of any type.
    Last edited by golden; 08-18-2018 at 01:21 PM.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

^ @golden, he does look ILE in that picture.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    ^ @golden, he does look ILE in that picture.
    Googling “Anthony Bourdain young” turns up lots of images like this, which imo show the ... I’ll call them the underlying qualities on which he built his later persona.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by golden View Post
    Googling “Anthony Bourdain young” turns up lots of images like this, which imo show the ... I’ll call them the underlying qualities on which he built his later persona.
    So, @golden, do you think our persona's are built, or do we just move toward and try to form an environment that we like, while simultaneously dropping most of the "adapted-for-security-in-non-opitimal-environments" parts of our behaviors?
    Last edited by Adam Strange; 08-18-2018 at 01:36 PM.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, @golden, do you think our persona's are built, or do we just move toward and try to form an environment that we like, while simultaneously dropping most of the "adapted-for-security-in-non-opitimal-environments" parts of our behaviors?
    This seems like it should not be an either/or question, especially since what comes before the “or” is simplistic, and what comes after is very complex. Also because I’m not sure in practice why it should be one or the other, setting aside how the proposition was weighted.

A classic work related to this topic is Erving Goffman’s “Presentation of Self in Everyday Life” (1959). Goffman spoke in terms of performativity in the social environment, and I could apply his arguments to say that the environment and the building of the self are part of the same dynamic.

In Bourdain’s case, we have a media persona, and I incline to see that as a complex construction. There was a time when his seemingly only shtick was to show up on some cooking show and be irascible and say something cutting. That’s what he was getting money for. But over time he expanded his persona. Unless you take that persona as a one-for-one index to his private self, it is one way of seeing how the persona is somewhat artificial.

So for typology’s sake I do think it’s interesting to look for information that shows what this person was like before he took on a media mask. Whether he was continually invested in his image or not, the image takers were, so they took and propagated images supporting it and built narratives around it.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@crAck I always think of Bourdain as an ILE with an SLE vibe. So we are seeing similar things.

One of my friends is actually SLE with a sort of ILE vibe.

My son is ILE and as he gets older he has added more SLE-ish inflections. He’s not really someone I could mix up with an SLE, but it seems like an area he can draw from.

ETA, regarding people being fucked up or not, this is more a theological question for me, the original-sin view vs the Buddha-nature view. I do think people are mostly incomplete or in a state of what we can call imperfection, or we would not be humans in the first place.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by golden View Post
    This seems like it should not be an either/or question, especially since what comes before the “or” is simplistic, and what comes after is very complex. Also because I’m not sure in practice why it should be one or the other, setting aside how the proposition was weighted.

A classic work related to this topic is Erving Goffman’s “Presentation of Self in Everyday Life” (1959). Goffman spoke in terms of performativity in the social environment, and I could apply his arguments to say that the environment and the building of the self are part of the same dynamic.

In Bourdain’s case, we have a media persona, and I incline to see that as a complex construction. There was a time when his seemingly only shtick was to show up on some cooking show and be irascible and say something cutting. That’s what he was getting money for. But over time he expanded his persona. Unless you take that persona as a one-for-one index to his private self, it is one way of seeing how the persona is somewhat artificial.

So for typology’s sake I do think it’s interesting to look for information that shows what this person was like before he took on a media mask. Whether he was continually invested in his image or not, the image takers were, so they took and propagated images supporting it and built narratives around it.
    Thanks for the lead. I found the book and will read it.

This seems to be a very Fe way of looking at the world. The reason I say this is that I very much manage my image at the start of relationships (Fe-role for the first twenty minutes), but very quickly fall into my own assertive self.

I also don't think my foundational "self" is constructed. Rather, it seems to be a rock that is covered with draperies which are gradually being removed.

I should add that personality studies seem to indicate that people have the values of their parents when they leave home, but over time become someone very different (themselves). The most interesting part of these studies is the fact that identical twins raised and living apart converge to a very similar point.
    Last edited by Adam Strange; 08-18-2018 at 04:06 PM.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also don't think my foundational "self" is constructed. Rather, it seems to be a rock that is covered with draperies which are gradually being removed.
    That's what mid life crises are for: to rid yourself from your socially constructed self and become the essence of what you already are, an individuated person. That we are not the roles we play. Not that the socially constructed self is something bad, but it is just a phase of life we have to go through in order to understand what doesn't work for us.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

• Identical Inter-type Relationship

Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don't know if those two are identicals, but seeing them talk warms my heart

TIM
    / / /
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think all public people have a "persona" that they are not in total control of. And I thought this was what @golden was talking about (although please correct me).

I read an author saying that famous people who separate their public image from "themselves" actually seem to fare better, since it lessens the anxiety and the sense of being scrutinized. Maybe by treating your public self as a "persona," or just a series of pragmatic decisions. At any rate, what others spin around you doesn't entirely feel like "you," even if you in some sense contribute, or try to "direct" it. And I'd imagine it might not feel like you even if you were being really sincere.

...My SLE friend talked like this too, like personality is something you become aware of and then you build off of traits. Like you can't breathe properly after you start to notice yourself breathing? I think I tend to see that as an unconscious part of life whereas she spoke about it more as something people direct (?), and I still don't know if that was just a difference in language or perception. It made me see the weakness in my own viewpoint (treating how I or others present as "natural", even when we are all manipulating who we are, at every moment). (???)

BTW I type Bourdain ILE, and I can see him playing to a schtick b/c marketing, or to hide his true self, or whatever.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love this man and took his death harder than any celebrity death I can think of. Was curious as to his type, ILE could make sense... Was actually informed once he was likely delta, but could also see beta as he reminds me some of one EIE person I know. I don't really see gamma