View Poll Results: Do identical functions differ from quadra to quadra?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • The functions are the same regardless of quadra ("Beta Fe" is the same as "Alpha Fe" etc.)

8 42.11%
  • The functions differ from quadra to quadra (Beta/Gamma Ni not same, Delta/Alpha Ne aren't etc.)

11 57.89%
  • Some functions differ, others are the same (Gamma Te = Delta Te, Beta Fe doesn't = Alpha Fe etc.)

0 0%

Thread: The big question

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The big question

There's always talk about Alpha and Beta Fe, and how they are different or not, but what about the other functions? Surely, logically, they too can be quadrically influenced, so that Gamma and Beta Ni are different; or Alpha and Delta Si are different. Are any of the the functions different, or are they all just the same?

I'd be interested to here from anyone, but especially the reasons why those who believe some are the same but others are different believe that.
    Last edited by Ezra; 04-12-2008 at 04:43 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    There's always talk about Alpha and Beta Fe, and how they are different or not, but what about the other functions? Surely, logically, they too can be quadrically influenced, so that Gamma and Beta Ni are different; or Alpha and Delta Si are different. Are any of the the functions different, or are they all just the same?
    Each of the IM elements manifests differently in different quadra(s), since each is paired with different functions in each quadra(/um?) (for instance, Alpha Fe is paired with Si and Beta Fe with Ni). On the other hand there are traits that apply to each element regardless of quadra, so I guess my short answer is "a little of both."

It just struck me that "quadra" is a very strange word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.

I pity your souls

Creepy-Cyclops

Quote Originally Posted by Elro View Post
    Each of the IM elements manifests differently in different quadra(s), since each is paired with different functions in each quadra(/um?) (for instance, Alpha Fe is paired with Si and Beta Fe with Ni). On the other hand there are traits that apply to each element regardless of quadra, so I guess my short answer is "a little of both."
    Yes. The theoretical information elements are the same, but the that the functions are at times a little different.

IE in Model A they are not individuals, they all have an affect on each other. So therefore manifest differently.
    It just struck me that "quadra" is a very strange word.
    Yes. It makes me think of Star Trek Voyager.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, they differ, but only because they work in combination with other functions.

When we're talking about specific types, there's no such thing as pure Te, for example. It is, in the very least, either Te + Ni or Te + Si. And there are many other factors as well, of course (such as Te + Se hidden agenda, or Te + Ni PoLR).
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    Yes, they differ, but only because they work in combination with other functions.

When we're talking about specific types, there's no such thing as pure Te, for example. It is, in the very least, either Te + Ni or Te + Si. And there are many other factors as well, of course (such as Te + Se hidden agenda, or Te + Ni PoLR).

i wrote that post.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17 View Post
    i wrote that post.
    LOL

So now there are three people posting on my account today?
    SEE

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO, the functions are the same, it's just that they're influence by other valued functions in that quadra that makes them different.
    INTp
    sx/sp

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always thought the big question was always
    "DO YOU LOVE ME?? Now that I can dance?"

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OF COURSE functions differ from quadra to quadra. only an idiot would disagree. A 9-millimeter is much different in a cop's hand than in a gangster's, even though it's the same gun.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Creepy-Diana

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post

I'd be interested to here from anyone, but especially the reasons why those who believe some are the same but others are different believe that.

I don't understand the nature of your questions. Is this part of your.... your requestioning of everything?
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    Last time I remember singing that question the response I got was unusual. Something like, "Sadly I do" and something about it showing how shallow they were or how we're all weak or something along those lines. Struck me as curious. I don't remember exactly what was said now. Oh well.
    Wasn't expecting this reply. Thanks

Creepy-Diana

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why do you take in information with your perceiving functions? to make decisions. how do you make decisions? based on the attained information from your perceiving functions. their purposes, intents, and uses are different and thus although the functions between two quadras may be the same, they are used in different ways so yes i think they are different.
    ESFp-Fi sub
    6w7 sx/so/sp

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by liveandletlive View Post
    why do you take in information with your perceiving functions? to make decisions. how do you make decisions? based on the attained information from your perceiving functions. their purposes, intents, and uses are different and thus although the functions between two quadras may be the same, they are used in different ways so yes i think they are different.
    This is good. It's concise and hits the pertinent points in a clear way. Beta Fe is channled through an Ni perspective (and vice versa). Alpha Fe through Si. Any pattern of difference between this (or in naming any function as it pertains to a certain quadra's penchant for use) is just a manifestation of the interaction of blocked functions.

As Joy pointed out, there are additional impacts as well, such as PoLR or HA influence (though these are, I think, hinted at and implicated by the motions of the ego).
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    OF COURSE functions differ from quadra to quadra. only an idiot would disagree.
    That's three encounting.

Quote Originally Posted by UDP View Post
    I don't understand the nature of your questions.
    Funny. Everyone else does.

Is this part of your.... your requestioning of everything?
    I... I don't know. Perhaps... perhaps you could... tell... me?

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and counting?
    SEE

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    and counting?
    Three people have voted that functions do not change from quadra to quadra. strrrng claimed that only idiots would believe this. I am pointing out the fact that three people are, according to him, idiots, and that this is not a definitive amount of people who believe that functions do not change from quadra to quadra, rather it is the amount of people who have voted in the poll who believe this to be the case. Whether or not they chose this option because they believe the functions in themselves do not change but rather it's what they are blocked with (i.e. in the Ego or the Super Id) which makes them seem like they change is besides the point.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OF COURSE functions differ from quadra to quadra. only an idiot would disagree. A 9-millimeter is much different in a cop's hand than in a gangster's, even though it's the same gun.
    I agree with this, but they're still the same functions. The functions look different when paired with other functions, but the functions themselves are still the same. There isn't a -Fe and +Fe. There's just Fe. But when you see the Fe with Si, it looks a bit different than when it's paired with Ni. But the Fe itself is the same function.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom View Post
    The functions look different when paired with other functions, but the functions themselves are still the same. There isn't a -Fe and +Fe.
    So this is what "-" and "+" are about. Well, this fact doesn't make me any more partial to them. It merely gives me more reason to ignore those who care about these silly little symbols added to functions to make them different from one another.

TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you say so.
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah - functions stay the same in the different quadras, but its the other functions that are paired with them that change the whole. In truth, we only experience the whole when interacting with people (we see all of people's functions at once, blending and churning with each other) - it really is nearly impossible to trace someone's exact thought process/habits down to one function, cause all of the person's quadra functions work together. It's like trying to look at a person's face and deconstruct every beam of light that hits your eye, when your brain takes all of that light and unconsciously fuses it into a coherent whole image.