...been here longer than the fucking monarchy Ezra's Avatar
    TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Lord Of War movie

A film let down only by its generic character relationships. Absolutely cracking script, full of biting wit and satire. Here are the fantastic and compelling opening credits:

Yuri Orlov (Nicholas Cage) Probably an SLE, but there remains the possibility of his being an LIE (he's primarily concerned with profits, and at many points, doesn't react to the Fe of other characters). Either way, he's a great salesperson, very charming and very witty:

He's also quite restless; he expresses the wish to do more with his life than living in a cafe. He continues to work ("because [he's] good at it") despite his wife and kid leaving him, his family disowning him, and his brother dying as a result of it:

Vitali Orlov (Jared Leto) He's more difficult to type, although I suspect he's an SEE. A Kindred relationship between he and Yuri fits quite well. Perhaps an Alpha SF type. He's far more live-and-let-live than is Yuri, caring more about his hedonistic lifestyle than selling weapons. His compassion comes through in the scene where Yuri is about to sell two trucks of weapons to the RUF in Sierra Leone, and he refuses to go through with the deal on the basis that as soon as they hand over the weapons, the entire refugee camp in the valley below is going to be massacred. He witnesses a brutal attack triggering this refusal:

Yuri's Fi PoLR also comes through here; sadly, I only found a clip that misses out that little bit where his reply is "it's not our business [to prevent these people from being massacred]". He's clearly more interested in profits.

Here are two other clips with Yuri and Vitali. They might help you to further analyse what kind of relationship there is between Yuri and Vitali, and maybe better type them:

Ava Fontaine (Bridget Moynahan) Again, more difficult to type. This could be due to less screen time. I suspect somewhat of a passively working relationship, although I can't tell for certain. I suppose Mirage could work quite well (her as an SEI). She seems predisposed with raising a family (yeah, yeah, we've seen it all before in countless other films), while her husband couldn't give two shits, shutting her up with a nice big diamond paid in blood. Only later does she come to realise the inhumaneness of his line of work, and refuses to cooperate with him until he stops. She doesn't trust him at all, so Duality is completely unlikely, and I doubt they're even in the same quadra:

Ni/Se for Yuri, Si/Ne for Ava. Eventually, she leaves him.

Jack Valentine (Ethan Hawke) ESI fits quite well I think. He's highly concerned about the ethics of his work, and refuses to break any rules in order to capture the perpertrator:

A typical One in the Enneagram, restraining his anger but letting flashes of fury through. Very admirable character. He interrogates Yuri near the end of the film, and yet it is futile, as you'll see:

Simeon Weisz (Ian Holm) Probably an LSI. High class; mingles with the right people. He looks down upon Yuri, and tries to kill him when he becomes a serious competitor. Evidently a hardworking individual if he got to that level, but also a ruthless and scheming strategist.

Andre Baptiste Sr. (Eamonn Walker) Beta likely. ST probable, EIE possible. Deliberate thinker, enjoys his power and position. Smiles a lot. Fundamentally good relationship with Yuri; they understand one another. Disconcerned with formalities, as illustrated here:

Andre Baptiste Jr. (Sammi Rotibi) SLE is almost certain. He's like a younger, more impulsive version of his father, who enjoys his hedonistic pursuits, with regard to none but himself. Constantly asking Yuri for "the gun of Rambo".
    Last edited by Ezra; 04-09-2008 at 03:25 PM.
    Ideas don't determine who's right. Power determines who's right. And I have the power. So I'm right.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One scene in this movie made me wanna find enough coke to make a cool outline of the US (complete with Hawaii and Alaska...lol) like the outline of the Ukraine like Vitali did. The look on his face when he was doing that was my favorite part of the movie...lol. I thought this was a cool flick though, but I'm a gun nut and like movies of this genre anyway.

...been here longer than the fucking monarchy Ezra's Avatar
    TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    One scene in this movie made me wanna find enough coke to make a cool outline of the US (complete with Hawaii and Alaska...lol) like the outline of the Ukraine like Vitali did. The look on his face when he was doing that was my favorite part of the movie...lol. I thought this was a cool flick though, but I'm a gun nut and like movies of this genre anyway.
    I loved the verdict Empire gave it. I don't agree with the second sentence about its being an illustrated lecture, but the first half resonated a lot with me.If you've seen all three films, you'll know exactly where they're coming from:

Quote Originally Posted by Empire
    It would like to be Traffic with guns, but comes out more like Blow with bullets. Impressive performances, fascinating info-bytes and pertinent editorial, but in the end, it feels too much like an illustrated lecture.
    Traffic is a four star movie, IMO. Blow, three and a half (I wanted to like it more and give it four, exactly as I did with Lord of War).