View Poll Results: Are you good at space shooters?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 50.00%
  • No

1 50.00%

Thread: Are you good with space shooters?

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Are you good with space shooters?

Hypothesis: weak Se correlates to poor adjustment to changes in movement by objects, especially when one is forced to respond to several stimulie at once. Let's test.

For the purposes of the poll, "space shooter" means any videogame where the player attempts to shoot at as many enemies as possible while avoiding incoming enemy fire. Also assumed is that any contact by the player with either the game environment, the enemy, or the enemy's projectiles means instant death.

Expected outcome: the weaker the Se, the more likely a person will open themselves to being cornered by the enemy's fire when trying to open fire on the enemy. So to say, if you concentrate on killing the enemy without leaving yourself room to maneuver around their incoming shots, the shots may surprise you and you might get hit. (e.g., strong Se anticipates the emergence of new movements). Weak Se, I hypothesize, becomes neurotic when forced to give its attention to more than one object at a time: it cannot give its attention to both because it cannot respond to two seperate movements simultaneously, and so hesistates when faced with two moving objects at once. When playing a space shooter, this hesitation means getting hit.

(as you can see, I'm having a lot of difficulty explaining the idea because my weak Se can barely wrap itself around it).
    Last edited by tcaudilllg; 04-06-2008 at 08:09 AM.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, I suck at it.
    However, I've generally seen that the best types at space shooters are not Se-dominants, but IJs in general, both Se-creative and Ne-creative.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Creepy-Cyclops

I think that there's also couple of F1 racing drivers who have ego N but not the S.

Overall I would think the Se would be naturally better IRL circumstance
    Last edited by Cyclops; 04-06-2008 at 11:50 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you talking about games like Raptor?

Im pretty good at these types of games but i would have to say that my observations are similar to FDG's. An INTj guy i know is awesome at this. Hes also like an really good quake 3 player who plays in tournaments etc too.
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably more complicated than that. I used to beat my ESTj best friend and my ISTj brother at things like these a lot when I still spent time at them, though admittedly these were beat-em-up games and first-person-shooters.

My guess is that irrationals would have an easier time dividing their attention between targets than rationals. Se, from what I understand of it, is good at registering and quickly consulting it's memory of arbitrarily (the aspect of arbitrarity is basically what "external" functions are all about...) configured conditions. For example, in first-person-shooters, the Se type would know and understand the game map better than an intuitive would.

Something to be noticed about the ESTj and ISTj (which I both have a lot of experience with observing) in relation to these kinds of games: they have an ingrained habit of trying to do everthing as meticulously as possible. In conditions that require quick-and-dirty decision making, this is a major handicap.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    Something to be noticed about the ESTj and ISTj (which I both have a lot of experience with observing) in relation to these kinds of games: they have an ingrained habit of trying to do everthing as meticulously as possible. In conditions that require quick-and-dirty decision making, this is a major handicap.
    An ENTj i know was into these games for quite a while. He would know exactly what sequences of ships were comming where i would barely ever remember things like that. He told me when he plays a game like COD4 if he cant get past a part one way, he will keep doing it that same way slowly tuning what he does until he finally makes it. Im much more inclined to just pick a different route. So it seems he is much better at fine tuning how he plays and im much better at adapting. You can see this in the way we both sit when playing a game. I will be slouched with fluid kind of movements, while he will be sitting straight and ridgid with jerky type of movements. We are both quite evenly matched at everything too.
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I guess any thinking type is capable of playing like that to an extent, and it does tend to work well with first-person games like Raptor. What tcaudilllg is talking about though is games like these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wa...s._TIE_Fighter

Can't memorize yourself a way through those.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, those kind of games. That's an entirely different thing.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit