View Poll Results: Are you good with animals/babies?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

10 58.82%
  • No...

7 41.18%

Thread: Does Weak Si/Se make you less of an Animal Person?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amusing connection you suggest.
    LII
    that is what i was getting at. if there is an inescapable appropriation that is required in the act of understanding, this brings into question the validity of socionics in describing what is real, and hence stubborn contradictions that continue to plague me.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree. Especially Si types. Maybe it's some caregiver thing, but I can not see myself using babyvoice when talking to pet rats and saying, "OHHHH you're so cuuuute, want some carrot, oooooh, you don't like carrot. oh take some carrot. you want carrot. Oh take a bite...". And I think, "for god's sake, shut up!"

And with babies - "come here, let me hold you, want some cookies, sure you want cookies. Oh darling thing. Oh your hair is so pretty and curly and soft" and I think, "crazy lady, leave the kid alone and WALK AWAY!"

I'm good with plants and that's good enough for me.
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and to add... I don't think kids always like that. Or animals.

And I think Se dominants give extreme amounts of attention, so that's partly why kids and animals like them. When an ESTp plays with a kid, the kid is flying up and down, laughing, excited but when I play with a kid, it's more like, "car drives vrrrrrrm... Want me to read you a story?...".
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

functions are merely how you do things

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ifmd95 View Post
    I could see myself paying a lot of this attention to my own kid or to a close friend's. But when people who are just aquantences dote on each other's children - I don't get this at all and I think it would kinda annoy me actually, if some mere aquantence started paying a lot of attention to my own kid. It's a trust thing and also I want to be the primary influence.

With animals it's a bit different - I've had pets and, usually, I seem to do well enough understanding their needs. But if a pet starts making a mess of things or otherwise gets too high-maintence, I start to get really put-off. I don't really understand how people have the patience for that. I guess it's a hobby for them.

Another peculiarity of mine - I've always been wary of large dogs. I know how to act around them and I know they are usually safe. But on occasion people do get their faces torn off by them - and I'd rather that just not be a possibility. You can buy a motorcycle or something else if you want something big that makes a lot of noise.
    ah, you sound a lot like me wrt this.

i don't know really what it is functionally but i'm normally not too bad with kids/animals in the sense that they'll feel safe or calm down around me. but like krii said i often feel awkward and completely out of place being really, "oogly googly!" except maybe around my own dog sometimes, and only because i think he likes me enough to be comfortable with me doing that. basically he's a rescue and for some reason really flips out around people he doesn't know well who are really emotionally expressive. i don't feel like i'm a real pro at it and i won't be starting a daycare/dog rescue any time soon, but i think i'm okay at least. so i'm good with certain types of animals/kids, i guess.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kristiina View Post
    I agree. Especially Si types. Maybe it's some caregiver thing, but I can not see myself using babyvoice when talking to pet rats and saying, "OHHHH you're so cuuuute, want some carrot, oooooh, you don't like carrot. oh take some carrot. you want carrot. Oh take a bite...". And I think, "for god's sake, shut up!"

And with babies - "come here, let me hold you, want some cookies, sure you want cookies. Oh darling thing. Oh your hair is so pretty and curly and soft" and I think, "crazy lady, leave the kid alone and WALK AWAY!"

I'm good with plants and that's good enough for me.
    Lmao, this post resonates for sure with me.

I am reminded of an ESE who had a dog for a couple of weeks and was all over it with the baby-talk. I am EXTREMELY uncomfortable with that crap. I just can NOT for the life of me even attempt to talk down to an animal OR a human baby. It's just ... weird. I dunno how people find it ok. How do we even know they like that? I mean, do they really enjoy a higher pitched, cutesy voice? They probably don't give two shits! LOL

When I see people do that, it generally just makes me feel awkward and I wanna back away or something. It seems "too much" ... like, why can't you just act normal ?

Needless to say though, I am pretty bad at knowing how to act around human babies or just younger children. Maybe I don't like the fact of having to "dumb" myself down for them. I don't think that's necessary and yet seeing so many people do it as if it was some kind of universal law makes me question things... =/ Don't like it.

Or maybe I'm just heartless

Actually - I love baby animals. I've always thought baby animals were loads cuter than human babies. That sounds weird - "human babies" / "baby humans" ... Anyway, yeah. I am good with basically every animal that is not too overly friendly and in your face (most dogs).

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ScarlettLux View Post
    Needless to say though, I am pretty bad at knowing how to act around human babies or just younger children. Maybe I don't like the fact of having to "dumb" myself down for them. I don't think that's necessary and yet seeing so many people do it as if it was some kind of universal law makes me question things... =/ Don't like it.
    I don't do it either. I remember as a kid hating it when others underestimated me because of my age (probably one reason I liked the internet so much, because people treat you like you sound). Now I just talk to them like I talk to anyone else, and generally it's not a problem. If they don't understand something, they'll usually ask. (Or look very puzzled.)

I like kids and animals and I'm probably intuitive.

Edit: Whoops, I misread the poll - I should have voted "yes" rather than no - I assumed it was asking whether I thought weak Si/Se made someone less of an animal person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.

I pity your souls

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know about the functional interpretations. I don't have enough experience. However I would say I am pretty good with both animals and babies. As long as we talk about only playing with them and making those noises that Kristiina hates. Playing with, interacting, teaching, entertaining them. My problems with them are more in the caretaking part i.e. I don't care too much about feeding them or washing them or stuff like that. That's boring. Another problem is that I can't play with them for too long without taking a break. But this is part no different from my relations with adults. Then I have problems with "difficult" kids and animals. I don't have the patience needed when a kid refuses to stop crying for nothing etc. But when they are in a normal/good mood and are playful I play with them very well. I think I have a special connection with cats even though I have never had a cat of my own.

Creepy-Diana

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I usually do baby talk to adult humans, but less so with babies. I like trying to understand what they are thinking and I also like explaining\demonstrating things to young children, especially when other adults say they are too young to understand. I wish I had a pet baby .

It can be interesting seeing an animal thinking too, especially cats...but making a baby laugh is more rewarding.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elro View Post
    I don't do it either. I remember as a kid hating it when others underestimated me because of my age (probably one reason I liked the internet so much, because people treat you like you sound). Now I just talk to them like I talk to anyone else, and generally it's not a problem. If they don't understand something, they'll usually ask. (Or look very puzzled.)
    I go by the avatar myself

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kids are smart, don't talk down to em. Just play with them, all they want to do is learn.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cudcat View Post
    I go by the avatar myself
    Hmmph.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.

I pity your souls

I had words here once, but I didn't feed them Khola aka Bee's Avatar
    TIM
    Meat Popsicle
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm great with animals But then again, I'm caregiver ISFp-Fe
    Hello, my name is Bee. Pleased to meet you .

Creepy-bg

I treat everyone like human beings... even pets and children.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    Kids and animals usually like me. I don't do that baby talk stuff to strange animals or kids though. Have never done baby talk to even my kids. Just to my own animals. Dogs my family has owned have always liked it when I'd say things like, "ohhh, you're so stuuupid! The stupiest dog ever, oh yes you are!"

Rather common scenario with kids - the other day I went to pick up my oldest from his friends house. I was waiting in the living room while his friend's mom ran to get him. The kid's aunt and a toddler were in the room. The aunt was trying to get a fax machine to work and the toddler was staring at me, so I said, "hi!" The little guy laughed, and hid behind a CD he was holding. He peeked out slowly, watching me, so I said, "hi!" again, and so on with him laughing at me just saying "hi!" every so often.
    lol,that sounds like it was cute

Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean View Post
    I usually do baby talk to adult humans, but less so with babies. I like trying to understand what they are thinking and I also like explainingdemonstrating things to young children, especially when other adults say they are too young to understand. I wish I had a pet baby .

It can be interesting seeing an animal thinking too, especially cats...but making a baby laugh is more rewarding.
    lol
    have you guys seen the laughing baby video? http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/...21&vid=1181237
    " Whatever you do in life you have to connect with a sense of service,an idea your doing something for somebody." -Edward Norton

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am quite good with animals. Pets are living beings, and when you treat them as such, it usually works out well. But part of it may simply be that I'm not really (or let myself be) intimidated by pets. So one of the most amusing questions I occasionally get is when a pet comes up to me, I just look at it while it's by my legs, and then the owner asks if I'm scared of X. But every one of my family's pets have had a partial liking to me and my dad.

I remember going to a friend's apartment for the first time, where there was a cat. I petted the cat and talked to it. When we geared up to watch a movie, the cat decided to sit in my lap for most of the movie, which upset the jealous owner who insisted that it was her cat and the cat does not do that for anyone else. I had a similar experience with a dog when I went to go watch a basketball game at a retired professor's house.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My family has a standard poodle and she has all these phobias about things that she seems almost human lol. I don't think animals have feelings or anything like that, but some seem to have good 'memories' or whatever you want to call it. Gabby (our poodle) was born in a thunderstorm in which a couple of her siblings died so she's terrified of thunderstorms. Her senses are amazing - she can feel when a storm is coming practically before there's any evidence of it in the sky whatsoever. She would come up and lean on me and she'd be literally shaking all over.
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The difference between humans (adults) and animals and babies is the extensive and specialized use of the cortex. If you relate well to animals and babies, it's because you have a good command of the limbic system, which is the primary mode for thinking for most animals and humans up to about 11 years old.

How does that relate to socionics is a good question.
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny thing. When I first saw this thread topic I actually thought it was a reference to sensory people being somehow more animalistic.

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by XoX View Post
    Funny thing. When I first saw this thread topic I actually thought it was a reference to sensory people being somehow more animalistic.
    I wouldn't disagree with that.

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

I had words here once, but I didn't feed them Khola aka Bee's Avatar
    TIM
    Meat Popsicle
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cherie ripped the entire first few layers of skin of one of her paw pads yesterday I have to go change her bandage and salt bathe it later. My poor baby!!!
    Hello, my name is Bee. Pleased to meet you .

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mikemex View Post
    The difference between humans (adults) and animals and babies is the extensive and specialized use of the cortex. If you relate well to animals and babies, it's because you have a good command of the limbic system, which is the primary mode for thinking for most animals and humans up to about 11 years old.
    This sounds valid. I was going to add that higher mammals (esp. your basic pet cat and dog) do experience emotional reactions. So they do have a range of "feeling" -- limbic = emotional processing.

I've always had special connections with cats and dogs (although I'm kind of a breed snob with dogs-- I like the big furry dogs Baby mentioned-- huskies, retrievers and the like). I have two cats myself; they're kinda like dogs actually-- much more social than your average aloof cat. I pick them up and handle them a lot, so they're well adjusted and like being touched and petted. They really like attention from visitors: friends, servicemen, doesn't matter. They're attention whores..

I admit I do baby-talk to the cats. I actually read that behaviorally, cats prefer a higher voice pitch and respond especially favorably to it. And they do-- often responding with some kind of "talk". Cats don't generally meow to each other as communication. They use hissing, growling etc. But with humans, they have a large range of specific vocalizations which they use for various reasons ("Pet me", "Feed me", etc.).

I don't do babies and children, although they generally like me, it usually just freaks me out.
    socio: INFp - IEI
    ennea: 4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
    Only kings, presidents, editors, and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial 'we'.