Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Te Redundancy?

  1. #1
    Creepy-Cyclops

    Default Te Redundancy?

    I know a few people with Te PoLR and Te seeking in their psyche. Something I've noticed is how much they like google..and the internet.

    For instance if we are discussing something then they will say 'I can google it' and they usually will (this has been happening in public socialising of late also..not restricitive to internet conversations)

    One aspect of Te seems to be factual logic. That kind of info is much easier to attain these days (ie due to internet as it is today)

    So i'm wondering, is the internet making Te a redundant function, to a point?

  2. #2
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,626
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Whenever there are to take snap decisions and there is not a compute available nearby and the information is organized in more complicated ways, no.

    Briefly, yes
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  3. #3
    snegledmaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,900
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Or you might say it's an evolution of Te in that Te people are being efficient and making machines to carry out their Te more effectively then them.

  4. #4
    cunnilingus epilepsy inducer
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,428
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I know a few people with Te PoLR and Te seeking in their psyche. Something I've noticed is how much they like google..and the internet.

    For instance if we are discussing something then they will say 'I can google it' and they usually will (this has been happening in public socialising of late also..not restricitive to internet conversations)

    One aspect of Te seems to be factual logic. That kind of info is much easier to attain these days (ie due to internet as it is today)

    So i'm wondering, is the internet making Te a redundant function, to a point?
    Te isn't just about finding information it is about reasoning and comparing the information to then make a case or guess about something, almost Bayesian like. The reasoning is based on the information you have so the more relevant the information (includes rules based around avoiding delusion, strict logical thinking or not mixing up your evidence) and the volume of information you have.

    Te is a logical skill (like Jonathan said ages ago).
    Last edited by leckysupport; 04-05-2008 at 01:57 PM.

  5. #5
    Elro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    2,796
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by electric View Post
    Te isn't just about finding information it is about reasoning and comparing the information to then make a case or guess about something, almost Bayesian like. The reasoning is based on the information you have so the more relevant the information (includes rules based around avoiding delusion, strict logical thinking or not mixing up your evidence) and the volume of information you have is always a good thing in Te terms.

    Te is a logical skill (like Jonathan said ages ago).
    Yo electric, could you elaborate on this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

    Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.


    I pity your souls

  6. #6
    strrrng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    Ni-IEI 4w3 sx/so
    Posts
    8,781
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops
    I know a few people with Te PoLR and Te seeking in their psyche. Something I've noticed is how much they like google..and the internet.

    For instance if we are discussing something then they will say 'I can google it' and they usually will (this has been happening in public socialising of late also..not restricitive to internet conversations)

    One aspect of Te seems to be factual logic. That kind of info is much easier to attain these days (ie due to internet as it is today)

    So i'm wondering, is the internet making Te a redundant function, to a point?
    this has nothing to do with Te. Googling is a way of learning about something. Te isn't simply factual logic; it's a way of processing information. functions are not external traits.

  7. #7
    cunnilingus epilepsy inducer
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,428
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elro View Post
    Yo electric, could you elaborate on this?
    I'll try, I'm not sure what you're looking for.

    Te isn't just about finding information it is about reasoning and comparing the information to then make a case or guess about something, almost Bayesian like.
    'Bayesian like' just means coming to conclusions based on the information at hand. Guessing based on likely or unlikely evidence.

    The reasoning is based on the information you have so the more relevant the information
    Part of Te reasoning involves finding out which information best makes your case.

    Te types usually do this by using and finding truthful sources of information and avoiding traps around logical thinking (circular arguements, ignoring silent evidence, putting too much wieght on one theory or source than another, emotional involvement, coming up with theories with no facts etc.)

    When I usually get into arguements with LSEs it usually invovles us trying to get to the most relevent pieces of information (sometimes not intentionally) to make the best case that is most right (usually by almost shouting at each other).

    and the volume of information
    'It's not a good idea to make theories with little information' is a Te saying IMO. So you have to search for the information (this is where google in relation to Te comes in) also if you want to be able to use your Te skills everywhere and more effectively it's probably a good idea if you remember your facts.

  8. #8
    Creepy-Cyclops

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by electric View Post
    Te isn't just about finding information it is about reasoning and comparing the information to then make a case or guess about something, almost Bayesian like. The reasoning is based on the information you have so the more relevant the information (includes rules based around avoiding delusion, strict logical thinking or not mixing up your evidence) and the volume of information you have.

    Te is a logical skill (like Jonathan said ages ago).
    Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    this has nothing to do with Te. Googling is a way of learning about something. Te isn't simply factual logic; it's a way of processing information. functions are not external traits.
    I never said it's all Te, I said factual knowledge is an aspect of Te. Googling for factual information in this context is a way of looking or fufilling Te. It's not the be all and end of all of Te.

    It's like Si isn't just about relaxing in a bath with a few scented candles

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Whenever there are to take snap decisions and there is not a compute available nearby and the information is organized in more complicated ways, no.

    Briefly, yes
    Kindov what I was thinking...at least us Te types are still needed to put complex factual information together to make conclusions

    Makes me wonder tho what sort of things is out there for other information aspects, or what could appeal to other information aspect seekers...even for those who may be seeking it, which is kindov where I was thinking of leading this to. What do you think?

  9. #9
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,626
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Though I also think that ceteris paribus in terms of processing speed a Te type will more easily access and memorize a larger amount of information of the Te kind (such as the one present in some wikipedia pages), given that he-she will naturally pay more attention towards that type of info. Thus wikipedia might actually be an advantage for us Te types too.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  10. #10
    strrrng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    Ni-IEI 4w3 sx/so
    Posts
    8,781
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops
    I never said it's all Te, I said factual knowledge is an aspect of Te. Googling for factual information in this context is a way of looking or fufilling Te. It's not the be all and end of all of Te.

    It's like Si isn't just about relaxing in a bath with a few scented candles
    factual information is not an "aspect" of Te. There are no aspects of functions; they are what they are. Googling information is not feeding Te. I google lots of information. It's how you process that information and what you do with it that points toward a function.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

  11. #11
    Creepy-Cyclops

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    factual information is not an "aspect" of Te. There are no aspects of functions; they are what they are. Googling information is not feeding Te. I google lots of information. It's how you process that information and what you do with it that points toward a function.
    It's why their googling it is what is in context related to Te. Trust me..I know them, so I've got a hunch why their doing it!

    Here..check this out for some info to see factual logic and factual accuracy is important to Te types..especially creative according to this:


    http://wikisocion.org/en/index.php?t...roverted_logic

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    8,578
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    this thread is redundant.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    8,578
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    this thread is redundant.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    8,578
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    this thread is redundant.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    8,578
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    this thread is redundant.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    8,578
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    this thread is redundant.

  17. #17
    Quirk Satellite Div.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Out of range. Please call your service provider.
    Posts
    424
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I know a few people with Te PoLR and Te seeking in their psyche. Something I've noticed is how much they like google..and the internet.

    For instance if we are discussing something then they will say 'I can google it' and they usually will (this has been happening in public socialising of late also..not restricitive to internet conversations)

    One aspect of Te seems to be factual logic. That kind of info is much easier to attain these days (ie due to internet as it is today)

    So i'm wondering, is the internet making Te a redundant function, to a point?

    To the question if the internet is making redundant- no.

    I suspect that your observations on 'googling' or 'wikipediaing' information comes from perhaps an inability to derive specific information. A ridiculous example of the point I'm suggesting, if they need to figure 2+2, instead of running through the mechanism of addition, they would prefer to just to look up the answer. Perhaps the type in the example would try to use the logical mechanism rather than memorize an answer, considering other factors. Basically, they don't want to process the data themselves- they want someone else to do it for them.

    I also suspect that my suggestion is false.
    PoLR
    Suggestive Function

    Regular Double-shot Espresso Subtype

    Just because I'm a thinking type doesn't mean I'm not an idiot.

  18. #18
    Éminence grise mikemex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Third Planet
    TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Posts
    1,631
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    You're right: in a way Internet is like Te. is all about efficiency when it comes to store and retrieve information from memory. Like, for example, to think about a task and immediately become aware of all aspects involved. This is somewhat like what an internet search engine (Google isn't by any means the only one) does when you perform a search: virtually millions of sources information related to your keyword are presented.

    It relates to work efficiency because it balances a lot of aspects and determines the optimal solution for all. In a way Te does to objective stuff exactly what Fi does to subjective stuff.
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

    You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    8,578
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    this thread is redundant.

  20. #20
    strrrng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    Ni-IEI 4w3 sx/so
    Posts
    8,781
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops
    It's why their googling it is what is in context related to Te. Trust me..I know them, so I've got a hunch why their doing it!
    ok, I know what you mean
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •