Thread: pain

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default pain

What would having a high tolerance to pain indicate?
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suppose I should be more specific... I am refering primarily to injuries.
    SEE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: pain

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    Indicate what? Type? General view on life? Relation to ones essence? The meaning of life?

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which functions would influence this?
    SEE

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking about this also. I know a guy that broke his hand and didn't say a thing. He said to me that he can tolerate high amounts of physical pain, which I found interesting, since I am extremely sensitive to pain of any kind. I think this could also relate to certain cognitive functions and types. So yeah, I 'm curious too.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, If I’m am a worthy representative of my type definitely not being ISFp.
    I’m pain phobic .

I love pain for some reason. I like pain and I like self control. PAIN.

Creepy-

Default Re: pain

I've seen some theories on this.

One is that extroverts are less reactive, and needs more stimulation to feel, hence less responsive to pain. These are the theories of Eysenck.

Another is the MAO theory, from zuckerman, because of lower MAO levels (an enzyme that controls the levels of nevrotransmitters), lowers levels of MAO, means less nerve transmission, hence less sensitivity to pain. Because of this people with lower MAO levels, tend to seek more stimulation. You can dig into hebbs theory of the optimal level of arousal to check this, that also relates to eysenck theories. Extroverts are also supposed to have lower levels of dopamine, I guess this is influenced by the MAO levels. Note that in all these theories, extroversion and sensation seeking, goes hand in hand.

Also note that some gene research have found a gene associated with lower dopamine levels, they think this is the sensation seeking gene, but again, there are to many genes involved to pin it down to just one, so it's really to early to say anything sure on that....

Another, is the reducer/argumenter theory, like some will see a figure, and generally underestimate the size, others will overestimate it, theory says the first are extroverts (reducers), the second introverts..

So as the theory goes, extroverts are less pain sensitive.

Given these theories, an ESTP should feel less pain than an INFJ, but I dont really think links like that can be made.

Also note that the above theories, will contradict, things like the existance of a extroverted intuitive type, those theories, mostly connect extroversion to S seeking.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmmm dopamine... neurotransmitters are interesting things. In my experience though, introversion or extroversion is irrelevant in ADD and ADD is due partially to low dopamine... HOWEVER, there are different types of ADD, and some are more sensitive to pain than most and some less sensitive to pain than most.

My theory is that it's my strong that is in part responsible for this characteristic, at least in my case.
    SEE

Creepy-pokeball

Physical pain is among the least of my worries. Emotional pain or long-term inconvenience, on the other hand, ...

Creepy-

hmmm dopamine... neurotransmitters are interesting things. In my experience though, introversion or extroversion is irrelevant in ADD and ADD is due partially to low dopamine... HOWEVER, there are different types of ADD, and some are more sensitive to pain than most and some less sensitive to pain than most.

My theory is that it's my strong that is in part responsible for this characteristic, at least in my case.
    I'm not sure if it's responsible, but I've recall reading things that support beeing more likely to have it than others. That infact ENTP and ENFP types, was of the more common type to have thos. Other things I have read, is that people with a right brain dominance, are mutch more likely to have it. Since they also are more likely to have EN, well, atleast maybe a weak link can be made.

I recall a lecturer said, that ADD, was one of the new fashion in USA, with a lot of over diagnosis...Way to mutch medication being written out, to people who dont need it. So that should be kept in mind, I'm sure I've would had been diagnosed with ADD, and put on meds, when I was a child, if I have lived in USA as a child now. But I dont, and that makes me happy.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dislike any kind of physical pain, others in pain, animals in pain, needles etc. My base function is associated with the like of, and search of pleasant sensations and comfort, and makes us sensitive to touch. Maybe this has something to do with it and people who have weak can tolerate pain more easily.
    Friendly ISTp
    Interested in everything, yes, EVERYTHING
    Flower's motto: Life's too short even to do the things you want to, let alone the things you dont!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am quite sure I have rather weak but I do not tolerate physical pain very well.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

High tolerance for pain = estp and isfj. Those people are tough as nails.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Herzblut
    I'm really great at ignoring pain. I just think about something else and it goes away.
    Like that; but I need to do something else.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can handle pain in REALLY large amounts when it's something like a burn or cut (When I was a kid, I used see how long I could hold my hand on a stove or under hot water without freaking out I was a fucking weird kid). But things like breaking bones, well, even though it's never happened to me (knock on wood), the thought of being structurally unsound scares the shit out of me.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Creepy-

I feel pain easily (more delicate than I would like tobe, oh well) but I have a high tolerance for it (I can ignore it for a very long time).

Ishy <--- Introvert with low dopamine/serotonin. High noradrenaline, though.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm about average, i think. i can tough out pain quite well. but don't like to have to. i'm much more worried about emotional kinds of pain. i figure most of the physical sorts can be fixed somehow.

Creepy-aurora_faerie

I like external pain. Like on the skin and what not. But I have a EXTREMELY hard time dealing with internal pain. Like headaches and stomach aches and the sort.

For some reason extrenal pain make me feel good though....>_>

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aurora_faerie
    I like external pain. Like on the skin and what not. But I have a EXTREMELY hard time dealing with internal pain. Like headaches and stomach aches and the sort.

... me too, exactly. And we're both INFPs. I HATE internal pain. I can't stand it. Especially in the stomach area, since I do have stomach issues/problems. Don't like to talk about it, but yeah ... it would be so great to know if there was a correlation to feelings of pain & types

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ScarlettLux

... me too, exactly. And we're both INFPs. I HATE internal pain. I can't stand it. Especially in the stomach area, since I do have stomach issues/problems. Don't like to talk about it, but yeah ... it would be so great to know if there was a correlation to feelings of pain & types
    Isn't everyone like this?
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

TIM
    ESTj
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't exactly 'like' physical pain ie. I wouldn't self inflict injury. However, once its there, I'm fairly indifferent to it for some reason. When I was a kid and in pain, I'd never cry and I'd try not to show signs of physical weakness and I'd consider the other kids who did hypochondriacs (although of course I didn't know that word at the time). Visually, I have no fear of blood, which is why I like slasher movies . Yet, there are some types of physical pain, such as internal stomach pain, which I am really sensitive to.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Forest-Dragon
    I don't exactly 'like' physical pain ie. I wouldn't self inflict injury. However, once its there, I'm fairly indifferent to it for some reason. When I was a kid and in pain, I'd never cry and I'd try not to show signs of physical weakness and I'd consider the other kids who did hypochondriacs (although of course I didn't know that word at the time). Visually, I have no fear of blood, which is why I like slasher movies . Yet, there are some types of physical pain, such as internal stomach pain, which I am really sensitive to.
    Are you sure you're not an ISTp.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

TIM
    ESTj
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who knows what the hell I am these days (possibly)

TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky

Rocky, you are SO grating on my nerves. I can't stand that everytime I post something, you are always there to try and contradict me. I just can't stand you!

No! Not everyone is like that! Not everyone is extremely sensitive to small stomach pains like I am! Do you not understand anything!? Some people truly can handle stuff like that better than others.

Johari
    Nohari

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rocky, you are SO grating on my nerves. I can't stand that everytime I post something, you are always there to try and contradict me. I just can't stand you!
    I love you too!

No! Not everyone is like that! Not everyone is extremely sensitive to small stomach pains like I am! Do you not understand anything!? Some people truly can handle stuff like that better than others.
    Hmm.. now, you're positive you're not an INTp? lol.

Just kidding... don't sweat it.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can tollerate large amounts of pain. I have had my knuckle sliced open by a machetee (my friend cant aim..) and I could see my bone moving, didnt feel a thing. The only thing I really ever have a problem with are headaches.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Apex
    I can tollerate large amounts of pain. I have had my knuckle sliced open by a machetee (my friend cant aim..) and I could see my bone moving, didnt feel a thing. The only thing I really ever have a problem with are headaches.
    OMG... LMAO!

I'm not sure this really has much to do with type, though... I have heard people of different types say similar things. I'm sure there is varing degrees of "tolerance" or whatever, but I don't think anyone likes feeling internal pain, like their stomach or head. I'm sure it irritates most people to some extent.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

TIM
    ESTj
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can tollerate large amounts of pain. I have had my knuckle sliced open by a machetee (my friend cant aim..)
    What the heck was he aiming for?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not me. I do fine with internal pain. External pain is what gets to me... and living with an ESTp sibling, i've had a lot of that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Forest-Dragon
    I can tollerate large amounts of pain. I have had my knuckle sliced open by a machetee (my friend cant aim..)
    What the heck was he aiming for?
    the board I was swinging at him. We were playing around and even though I was the one who knew how to use a machetee he still wouldnt do it unless he got to use it.

Learned a lesson that day.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baby

Not me. I do fine with internal pain. External pain is what gets to me... and living with an ESTp sibling, i've had a lot of that.
    At least I don't think it's related to type. You are both INFps, but react differntly, I'm an ISTp, and feel the same way as Scarlett, so... meh.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Creepy-

Hmm... once I practised bassoon for so long that my lips started bleeding. I tend not to notice my physical condition

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a pretty low tolerance for pain. Getting much better at distracting myself though.

TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I just have to say sorry, Rocky I have these angry outbursts mostly on online forums because it allows me let go of anger I have in real life. I'm so different online than in real life, it's quite scary.

But ... isn't everyone like that? :wink:

Johari
    Nohari