View Poll Results: Which one are you for?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • ProChoice

    25 56.82%
  • ProLife

    12 27.27%
  • indifferent

    7 15.91%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 277

Thread: ProChoice vs ProLife

  1. #1
    ~~rubicon~~ Rubicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Chatbox
    TIM
    SEI, 9
    Posts
    5,268
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default ProChoice vs ProLife

    ... to get an idea of what people are REALLY thinking ...
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

  2. #2
    Creepy-bg

    Default

    without ever having to deal with this situation in reality I don't think I can give an honest opinion. I can see the arguements for both sides, but there's no feeling attached to them.

  3. #3
    expired Lotus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Posts
    4,494
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Choice Choice Choice.
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

  4. #4
    ~~rubicon~~ Rubicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Chatbox
    TIM
    SEI, 9
    Posts
    5,268
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by glamourama View Post
    I think I hate the term "prolife".

    it should be changed to "pro-you don't have a choice, bitch, so suck it up, have that baby, and quit being such a whore"
    yeah - I hate the term too ... but anyway ...
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

  5. #5
    expired Lotus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Posts
    4,494
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I hate you,
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

  6. #6
    ~~rubicon~~ Rubicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Chatbox
    TIM
    SEI, 9
    Posts
    5,268
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anamericancer View Post
    I hate you,
    that's not very nice
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

  7. #7
    Your DNA is mine. Mediator Kam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    TIM
    SEI
    Posts
    4,481
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I don't get it. I think pro-choice is the worst of the two,it's more ambiguous than pro-life.
    D-SEI 9w1

    This is me and my dual being scientific together

  8. #8
    ~~rubicon~~ Rubicon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Chatbox
    TIM
    SEI, 9
    Posts
    5,268
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kamangir View Post
    I don't get it. I think pro-choice is the worst of the two,it's more ambiguous than pro-life.
    their stance is ambiguous though ... so it fits IMO
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

  9. #9
    Your DNA is mine. Mediator Kam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    TIM
    SEI
    Posts
    4,481
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Pro-life is very concise and to the point, while pro-choice is the story of cut-off points and lines between cell and baby that haven't been proved in any sense.

    So yes.
    D-SEI 9w1

    This is me and my dual being scientific together

  10. #10
    expired Lotus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Posts
    4,494
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kamangir View Post
    Pro-life is very concise and to the point, while pro-choice is the story of cut-off points and lines between cell and baby that haven't been proved in any sense.

    So yes.
    No, that's just one argument.
    There's several, if you haven't noticed.
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

  11. #11
    Your DNA is mine. Mediator Kam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    TIM
    SEI
    Posts
    4,481
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    All others can be explained in due time, trust me.
    D-SEI 9w1

    This is me and my dual being scientific together

  12. #12
    aka Slacker Slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North Korea
    TIM
    IEE
    Posts
    8,819
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Pro-life isn't very specific either. Like, lots of people I know who are pro-life are in favor of the death penalty. Or in favor of wars in which we (the US) is the aggressor. Which I don't see as hypocritical (and therefore I'm not trying to make a point about that), but the name "pro-life" doesn't really fit those people, IMO. Anti-abortion is probably more accurate but it obviously sounds negative and I understand why that is undesirable.

    Pro-choice is correct - many pro-choice people would never have an abortion themselves but believe the choice should be available for instance - but isn't specific enough because it doesn't state what choice people are talking about. Pro-abortion doesn't fit people who wouldn't have one themselves but want the choice to be available, so that wouldn't be accurate. Pro-abortion-rights is probably the most accurate there. But I think many pro-choice people would rather avoid the word "abortion" in the descriptor.

    So they're both more spin than descriptive.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain


    You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

  13. #13
    Currently God Brilliand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Nevada
    TIM
    LII
    Posts
    4,246
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anamericancer View Post
    No, that's just one argument.
    There's several, if you haven't noticed.
    Sure - but he's stated what's important to him: the clarity. The clearest cutoff points between baby and reproductive organ are:
    1. Conception
    2. Birth



    LII-Ne

    "Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

    Johari

  14. #14
    Your DNA is mine. Mediator Kam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    TIM
    SEI
    Posts
    4,481
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand View Post
    Sure - but he's stated what's important to him: the clarity. The clearest cutoff points between baby and reproductive organ are:
    1. Conception
    2. Birth
    excellent expound man, exactly.
    D-SEI 9w1

    This is me and my dual being scientific together

  15. #15
    Creepy-Cyclops

    Default

    1. Conception

    One of the effects of the pill is to stop change the lining of the uterus in a way that prevents a fertilized egg from implanting into the wall of the uterus, so it 'dies'

  16. #16
    Currently God Brilliand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Nevada
    TIM
    LII
    Posts
    4,246
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hkkmr View Post
    Some people think birth control, menstruation and nocturnal ejaculation is a sin... And women are usually the ones made to pay for it.
    Menstruation? Is that even avoidable?



    LII-Ne

    "Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

    Johari

  17. #17
    Creepy-bg

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand View Post
    Menstruation? Is that even avoidable?
    yes. you stop sinning.

  18. #18
    Twist-Tie Spider iAnnAu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Knoxhell TN
    Posts
    987
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I am pro-choice and when I faced the choice, I went with adoption. It had everything to do with my circumstances, and nothing to do with politics. But as for politics, I think everyone should have the choice.
    I have an amazing situation where I got to choose the couple who adopted my baby, and we all keep in touch. I visit them; just saw them in February in fact, and sometime this summer they will come down and visit me and my parents, who are excited to see her (we all get pictures emailed, so my parents really feel a connection).
    As happy as I am about the way my situation turned out, there are an infinite number of alternate circumstances. I value the fact that I actually had a choice; I know I at least wouldn't have felt the same during the pregnancy if I had been forced to have the baby - but instead, I actually enjoyed the experience of bearing a child!
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bukowski
    We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.
    SLI

  19. #19
    Currently God Brilliand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Nevada
    TIM
    LII
    Posts
    4,246
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iAnnAu View Post
    I am pro-choice and when I faced the choice, I went with adoption. It had everything to do with my circumstances, and nothing to do with politics. But as for politics, I think everyone should have the choice.
    I have an amazing situation where I got to choose the couple who adopted my baby, and we all keep in touch. I visit them; just saw them in February in fact, and sometime this summer they will come down and visit me and my parents, who are excited to see her (we all get pictures emailed, so my parents really feel a connection).
    As happy as I am about the way my situation turned out, there are an infinite number of alternate circumstances. I value the fact that I actually had a choice; I know I at least wouldn't have felt the same during the pregnancy if I had been forced to have the baby - but instead, I actually enjoyed the experience of bearing a child!
    Laws are for criminals.



    LII-Ne

    "Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

    Johari

  20. #20
    Kristiina's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Estonia, Tartu
    Posts
    4,021
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'm Pro-choice, but I believe the choice should never be easy. I also think that if a person really makes the no-choice very easily, I don't even want them having kids.
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

    Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

    Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

  21. #21

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    TIM
    ILI
    Posts
    2,916
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    pro choice.
    there's always situations where certain choices have to made.
    people usually say "i will never do this" or "i condemn this act & will never make xxx choice" because it has never happened to them.
    INTp
    sx/sp

  22. #22
    Creepy-Cyclops

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mea View Post
    pro choice.
    there's always situations where certain choices have to made.
    people usually say "i will never do this" or "i condemn this act & will never make xxx choice" because it has never happened to them.
    Yes. Try walking in my shoes, as they say, among so many other phrases.

  23. #23
    aka Slacker Slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North Korea
    TIM
    IEE
    Posts
    8,819
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mea View Post
    pro choice.
    there's always situations where certain choices have to made.
    people usually say "i will never do this" or "i condemn this act & will never make xxx choice" because it has never happened to them.
    Absolutely. I've known a couple of people who were very anti-abortion, but then they were faced with terrible situations, and I really think any reasonable person would at least understand why they chose to abort. One is a pretty strict Catholic. But she could very well have died if she hadn't aborted, the fetus wouldn't have lived with the abnormalities it had anyway, and she had other children at home who needed her. Also, being Catholic, she wanted a large family, and this pregnancy, if it didn't kill her, would almost certainly have at least made her infertile. The other friend was raped. Her husband had a vasectomy so she wasn't using birth control, and got pregnant.

    And to me anyway, those situations seem very clear cut, but even in less obvious circumstances I don't feel like I'm in a position to judge when a woman should be able to abort and when she shouldn't. The people in the position to figure that out what the right choice is in any giving situation are the woman and her doctor. There are a million bad situations that make women consider abortion. The fact that I've never had a bad situation that made me consider it doesn't mean I can't empathize with women in that position.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain


    You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

  24. #24
    machintruc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    3,252
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    pro choice is for retards

  25. #25
    Landlord of the Dog and Duck Subteigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    EII-Ne Sp/So
    Posts
    14,945
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by machintruc View Post
    pro choice is for retards
    Well thank God they won't pass on their retarded genes.

  26. #26
    expired Lotus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Posts
    4,494
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hkkmr View Post
    I do wish pro-choice people would start having more kids... I mean seriously.. we need the future votes.
    Is there a limit to the amount of kids one can adopt?
    Like, what's the most amount of children one can have?

    I'll definitely adopt my own army of kids as soon as I turn eighteen.
    Then it's war.
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

  27. #27
    expired Lotus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Posts
    4,494
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hkkmr View Post
    I am not sure if it's that easy to adopt more then 1 or 2 kids... it's pretty hard actually to adopt in general..
    Damn.
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

  28. #28
    Your DNA is mine. Mediator Kam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    TIM
    SEI
    Posts
    4,481
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anamericancer View Post
    Is there a limit to the amount of kids one can adopt?
    Like, what's the most amount of children one can have?

    I'll definitely adopt my own army of kids as soon as I turn eighteen.
    Then it's war.
    You better hope they have unvalued Fi.
    D-SEI 9w1

    This is me and my dual being scientific together

  29. #29
    expired Lotus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Posts
    4,494
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kamangir View Post
    You better hope they have unvalued Fi.
    Go away.
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

  30. #30
    Elro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    2,796
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom View Post
    Pro-life isn't very specific either. Like, lots of people I know who are pro-life are in favor of the death penalty. Or in favor of wars in which we (the US) is the aggressor. Which I don't see as hypocritical (and therefore I'm not trying to make a point about that), but the name "pro-life" doesn't really fit those people, IMO. Anti-abortion is probably more accurate but it obviously sounds negative and I understand why that is undesirable.
    They don't want to "abort the mission" though, so that fits too
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

    Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.


    I pity your souls

  31. #31
    Haikus
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    MI
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Posts
    10,060
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    Just give the kid to a gay couple. Don't kill a potential life, it's wrong I don't care what anybody says. =( I used to be pro-choice but now I'm on the life side of things. I was only really saying that because I didn't want to be rejected by my usually liberal friends, but I figure- if they can't respect my opinions they're not my friends in the first place.

    If you don't want to go through with the BS of adoption agencies (I don't know exactly but I can only imagine the BS they put you through), you could always just leave it anonymously with a church they'll be glad to take care of it since you know, churches love babies and everything social and normal and hate things that are destructive and actually entertaining. Get a holistic birthgiver or whatever, and do a good deed that way. I don't know. There isn't just two choices, to me that's pretty limited thinking.

    They might get some religious bullshit growing up, but that can be conditioned out of that like anything else- and it's better than just not experiencing life altogether anyway. *shrug*

    Think of the couples that want kids but can't have them naturally for whatever reason, but would make great parents. You can still help the human race- but killing it off does nothing in my mind. It's a myth that the world is overpopulated I think. We just need to build bigger cities and enlighten people more to move out of Hickeryville, population: 5.

  32. #32
    Your DNA is mine. Mediator Kam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    TIM
    SEI
    Posts
    4,481
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hkkmr View Post
    Some places are overpopulated and people starve to death every day...
    People starving to death has never been caused by overpopulation. Other factors such as poor geography and their natural resources being extracted at a cheap price. Still not a reason to promote abortion in any case.
    D-SEI 9w1

    This is me and my dual being scientific together

  33. #33
    The Iniquitous inumbra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    954
    Posts
    5,989
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I don't like abortion but I don't want it illegal... I want it legal and regulated.

  34. #34
    aka Slacker Slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North Korea
    TIM
    IEE
    Posts
    8,819
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kamangir View Post
    People starving to death has never been caused by overpopulation. Other factors such as poor geography and their natural resources being extracted at a cheap price. Still not a reason to promote abortion in any case.
    wanting abortion to be legal does not equal "promoting abortion".
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain


    You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

  35. #35
    The Iniquitous inumbra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    954
    Posts
    5,989
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    ^'xactly.

  36. #36
    Your DNA is mine. Mediator Kam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    TIM
    SEI
    Posts
    4,481
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    wanting abortion to be legal does not equal "promoting abortion".
    By condoning it, you are indirectly promoting its merits, which are little if any. Many pro-choice people have told me "ohhh, I don't like abortion, but it should be legal because people have the right to make their own decisions." I ask you, if you think poorly of abortion, how can you even think of justifying it like that? For me, it is like this:

    1. I disagree with abortion.
    2. I think such a procedure should not take place.
    Therefore, because I believe abortion should not take place, I will condemn its' use, except in extenuating circumstances.

    If you disagree with abortion and yet feel that people ought to have that choice, it just does not follow. It just proves you're too weak to have any opinions that carry merit.
    D-SEI 9w1

    This is me and my dual being scientific together

  37. #37
    expired Lotus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Posts
    4,494
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kamangir View Post
    By condoning it, you are indirectly promoting its merits, which are little if any. Many pro-choice people have told me "ohhh, I don't like abortion, but it should be legal because people have the right to make their own decisions." I ask you, if you think poorly of abortion, how can you even think of justifying it like that? For me, it is like this:

    1. I disagree with abortion.
    2. I think such a procedure should not take place.
    Therefore, because I believe abortion should not take place, I will condemn its' use, except in extenuating circumstances.

    If you disagree with abortion and yet feel that people ought to have that choice, it just does not follow. It just proves you're too weak to have any opinions that carry merit.
    Just because one thinks poorly of something, doesn't mean they should ignore the fact that other people have opinions too.
    One should respect that their opinion is just theirs and does not/should not represent everyone else.
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

  38. #38
    Your DNA is mine. Mediator Kam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    TIM
    SEI
    Posts
    4,481
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anamericancer View Post
    Just because one thinks poorly of something, doesn't mean they should ignore the fact that other people have opinions too.
    One should respect that their opinion is just theirs and does not/should not represent everyone else.
    Thanks. btw your aim exploit was amazing.
    D-SEI 9w1

    This is me and my dual being scientific together

  39. #39
    expired Lotus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Posts
    4,494
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kamangir View Post
    Thanks. btw your aim exploit was amazing.
    My what?
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

  40. #40
    Your DNA is mine. Mediator Kam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    TIM
    SEI
    Posts
    4,481
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anamericancer View Post
    My what?
    Just now. AIM invisibilty rocks.
    D-SEI 9w1

    This is me and my dual being scientific together

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •