Thread: Order vs Cleanliness

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Order vs Cleanliness

Which is most important to you? Having everything neat and tidy or having everything nice and clean ...
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I usually know where things are, even if the place is a complete tip. But usually, the place isn't clean or tidy.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know where everything is. Just because it looks like a hurricane went through doesn't mean I don't know where shit is!
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MysticSonic View Post
    I know where everything is. Just because it looks like a hurricane went through doesn't mean I don't know where shit is!
    Exactly! Plus it's sort of like that Memory game - it keeps your brain active to remember in what position you left something.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I prefer things to be clean over orderly. However, "clean" is a relative term here.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

neat and tidy or having everything nice and clean
    um, what's the difference?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

clean > orderly.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    i was curious, too. i assumed that neat and tidy would be like, the objects in the room are physically organized or something. so basically i thought this was a q about organization vs cleanliness. anyhow i'm a little like mysticsonic in that i can totally find anything i need. if it got bad enough where i couldn't find anything i needed, i'd probably start doing organizing eventually.
    6w5 sx
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tidy would mean things are put away, but you haven't necessarily dusted your bookshelves or mopped your floors in a few months... that's what I thought it meant. I like both clean and tidy, but I have a hard time keeping up with things if I get really busy or I'm trying to finish a project.

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

e.g. a choice btwn a bunch of dusty books lined up on your shelf or dust-free books in a pile on the floor ...
    Last edited by Rubicon; 03-31-2008 at 02:59 PM.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh. Well then I definetly prefer things to be clean more than orderly.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clean and tidy. This is something I require assistance with though.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like things neat... but it hasn't been happening lately... I'm "working on it."

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dont give a shit.

Creepy-Diana

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't mind being disorganized, as long as the place stays clean under the mess. If the place becomes dirty, I have to organize in order to clean it, which is annoying.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's strange how certain things can go completely neglected but others I clean obessively. My living area is completely trashed and do not care whatsoever to clean it. But my car...my car is immaculate. I bought a handy little sweeper and duster and i clean it obessively..a few times a day. I took my 15 minute work break and went out there and dusted everything and swept the whole car.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I keep my place pretty darn clean, but I tend to accumulate piles of papers and magazines places. I have to force myself to go through the piles. That would be my problem with tidyness. Or tidiness? Spellcheck likes "tidiness" but it looks funny to me.

Anyway, although I prefer "clean" to "tidy", I agree with Diana that things have to be at least fairly tidy if you want to keep things clean.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's strange how certain things can go completely neglected but others I clean obessively. My living area is completely trashed and do not care whatsoever to clean it. But my car...my car is immaculate. I bought a handy little sweeper and duster and i clean it obessively..a few times a day. I took my 15 minute work break and went out there and dusted everything and swept the whole car.
    Were you like that before you got a car you really liked?
    SEE

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    Not at all. I literally wouldn't let anyone come within about 5 feet of my old car. It was a disaster.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to accumulate piles of papers and magazines places
    Aaaaaahh!! Yes, if there were one thing that I would abolish in this world, it would be junk mail. I could spend the entire week sorting through all the junk mail I get. If one company like Crate and Barrel gets your address, it works its way through all their sister companies, and you'll be receiving 2 catalogs a week from eight different stores.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haha, i was just wondering if she had some ridiculously awesome car.
    6w5 sx
    sloan - rcuei

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it is always changing... I want things neat now because the mess is getting in the way of effectiveness. I tend to avoid paying my bills, and even more so when they're buried under piles of paper... and then I don't see the point in organizing the papers when there are piles of objects everywhere and dishes all over the counter... and it will all just go back to that anyway... also I'm losing all control of organization and starting to dislike the very idea of it... and if I give into that it will only get worse... so I have to try to turn it around. What's odd, is there were several years in a row where I was good at organization... it always alternates... now I abhor it and dread and fear it.

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    it is always changing... I want things neat now because the mess is getting in the way of effectiveness. I tend to avoid paying my bills, and even more so when they're buried under piles of paper... and then I don't see the point in organizing the papers when there are piles of objects everywhere and dishes all over the counter... and it will all just go back to that anyway... also I'm losing all control of organization and starting to dislike the very idea of it... and if I give into that it will only get worse... so I have to try to turn it around. What's odd, is there were several years in a row where I was good at organization... it always alternates... now I abhor it and dread and fear it.
    I'm like that too - I alternate between being insanely neat and ridiculously messy - depending on my mood. But even when everything's apparently chaotic, there's a certain order to it. I don't feel the need to tidy up for organisational purposes - just for aesthetic reasons.

What makes you dread/fear organisation?

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chopin
    What makes you dread/fear organisation?
    I think it for some reason constitutes a lot of things I don't want to think about. I don't know... before when I was messy it was because I didn't care and didn't feel like cleaning up. This was perfectly natural. Actually dreading cleaning up started in the last year or two, and I don't exactly know why... I think I stopped caring to a very large degree and settled into that sort of state, and now getting back out is somewhat difficult. The other problem is that even I do clean up... it goes back to being a mess in a couple of weeks. Somehow I've become overwhelmed in this pattern and lost control of it. I sort of wonder if it's a mild form of ADD or something... or maybe I've been too stressed out for too long... anyway I think the solution is I need to discipline myself, motivate myself, stop whining about it, and start caring about it again... it will require a greater amount of focus and concentration, a lesser amount of complacency and avoidance of things I don't feel like doing (as I will seemingly never feel like doing them)... and maybe this will turn it back around.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to be clear, by "order" do you mean "a place for everything and everything in its place"? And by "cleanliness" do you mean sanitation? Where does ambiance fit in to all of this?
    SEE

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to be clear, by "order" do you mean "a place for everything and everything in its place"? And by "cleanliness" do you mean sanitation? Where does ambiance fit in to all of this?
    does ambiance fit into it?
    6w5 sx
    sloan - rcuei

Creepy-Cyclops

Clean and tidy, but with my own personal touch. I like it lived in, homely, but kinda me.

Creepy-Diana

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by implied View Post
    does ambiance fit into it?
    That's what I'm asking. Orderliness and sanitation are practical matters, but many people like to keep things neat and tidy because they don't like looking at a mess.
    SEE

Creepy-Cyclops

Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    Yeah, I don't like a place to seem too sterile, untouchable or such.
    Definately. I always think throwovers on couches in the living room make a difference..(I got some new ones recently ) then you can also cover up under them on the sofa when watching tele and/or chillin !

Creepy-bg

chaos all around me. everytime I buy drugs I have to search for at least 10 minutes through discarded crap to find a pipe, which is extremely annoying when you want to get high and have the means to do so in your hand.

I wouldn't have it any other way though

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah - sure. Those definitions are good. Ambience? I guess it depends on your taste. Personally, I think a cluttered, slightly chaotic sort of atmosphere feels nice and homey.

TIM
    nil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

chaos i guess.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't mind disorder (my room is a mess), but I don't like dirt and grime. But I guess noone does. It's hard to motivate myself to tidy up and get stuff organised, but when I do, it's kind of fun and relaxing (given I don't have anything else to do). When someone else tries to get me to tidy up or tries to tidy up for me and ends up misplacing everything, that is very annoying.

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    Same here......the problem is, I like feeling organized and knowing where everything is.....but I'm not so good at the daily maintenance part.

It's hard to feel satisfied when I clean stuff or organize it unless I know I've done a really good job. But doing a good job takes time....so things pile up. Untill it until it gets so bad that I have an OCD day and make everything perfect. And I say to myself "I will be an admirable organized person from now on!" But that doesn't last long..........

I tend to mess up my carefully arranged papers, clothes, dishes, shoes, welcome mats, etc. because I'm in a hurry (I'm perpetually late).......so back to square one.
    +100

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Probably neither. My room smells easily. It's not messy really, but it's not that clean. It's like... 'in the middle' and I have a bad problem with odors. =p

Things appear kinda neat but they really are not, everything is just thrown under the bed or in this big blue bin and I have torn apart some of my favorite comic books and such via pure laziness. I should probably take better care of my stuff but you can't force me to care. It's not THAT bad- just insanely mediocre. Also let me know before you come so I can get the dried cum smell out and freshen the place up. Men stink. ;p

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps clean > tidy if I had to choose, but I like things both clean and tidy and that's the way I tend to keep them. Uncleaned and unhygienic environment bothers me. Too much mess, especially dynamic-changing mess bothers me as well.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both

I think I have some compulsive drive to have every thing clean and organized, unless I am working on some project that requires a mess of folders and papers, which I am doing now. My living space could also get messy and neglected if I simply do not have the time to clean it up, but otherwise I have been told that my room looks sorta like one from a military barracks .

That being said, I happen to live with an IEE and a LSE, both of which are a freaken mess, any advice?
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
    --Theodore Roosevelt

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    -- Mark Twain

"Man who stand on hill with mouth open will wait long time for roast duck to drop in."
    -- Confucius

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Generally, my motto is "Why fight entropy?"

My living space has always been (and likely always will be) characterized by some degree of clutter. I'm not entirely disorganized-- I follow the "stacks" system of organization mentioned by others here. I *usually* know vaguely which stack of papers contains what I'm looking for, and try to keep the stacks to a manageable 4 or 5 distributed through 3 rooms. (Luckily, my home is small.) Occasionally, I'll attack a single pile of documents and file them, temporarily forestalling some of the pressure of impending chaos. My attempts at organization really amount to nothing more than stopgap measures.

The only rule is that nothing on the floor should be tripped over or otherwise seriously impede walking through a room.

Yet I cannot tolerate sheer "dirtyness". That is, I'm horrified to go into someone's house and see garbage on floors, old moldy glasses or mugs, half-eaten pizza crusts, and I'm talking where every solitary inch of space in the room is filled by some form of refuse mixed with papers, items, or whatnot. Basically, I just can't stand the thought of attracting cockroaches and or other pest species. Ugh.

I guess I vehemently draw the line where clutter becomes garbage.
    socio: INFp - IEI
    ennea: 4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
    Only kings, presidents, editors, and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial 'we'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast