Thread: Caspar David Friedrich

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Caspar David Friedrich

German Romantic painter from the 18th - 19th centuries. Pa3s introduced me to him a while back, and he's since become my favorite artist.

Some of his works I like the best

Few quotes:

"The artist should not only paint what he sees before him, but also what he sees in himself. If, however, he sees nothing within him, then he should also refrain from painting what he sees before him."

"I must stay alone and know that I am alone to contemplate and feel nature in full; I have to surrender myself to what encircles me, I have to merge with my clouds and rocks in order to be what I am."

"The pure, frank sentiments we hold in our hearts are the only truthful sources of art. A painting which does not take its inspiration from the heart is nothing more than futile juggling. All authentic art is conceived at a sacred moment and nourished in a blessed hour; an inner impulse creates it, often without the artist being aware of it."

He had amazing eyebrows lol
    Last edited by Galen; 06-08-2012 at 07:50 AM.

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just checked the Wikipedia article about him. He was characterized as the typical romanticist: rather introverted, in touch with nature (he saw nature as a mirror of human emotion) and religious. His paintings were seen as melancholic since they often dealt with being, vanishing and growing (of life). See also this quote:

„Warum, die Frag’ ist oft zu mir ergangen, wählst du zum Gegenstand der Malerei so oft den Tod, Vergänglichkeit und Grab? Um ewig einst zu leben, muss man sich oft dem Tod ergeben.“
    = "Why, I was asked very often, do you so often choose death, mortality and graves as subjects of your paintings? To live forever, you have to surrender to death."

He was a national-liberal (as opposed to a monarchist) as many educated people back then.

(The painting "Wanderer above the sea of fog" which Galen posted, is my absolute favourite)

Generally, I'd say that he's probably a feeling type. Even if I agree with some of his beliefs, I'd choose other words to express them. His "transcendental" style and his frequent use of mysticism in his art may be a hint to Ni, but I'm not sure about that. Maybe that's just related to being very religious. Delta NF is a good idea, he doesn't seem very beta to me, at all.
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

his art strikes me as mostly Pi. very little focus on indivdual objects (Pe) but on how they tie together with respect to ambience, atmosphere, how the environment subjectively affects the artist. he VIs as an IXXp as well, so there.

edit: i initially considered ISTp, back when i was introduced to him but now i think maybe INTp.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

i like his stuff. that first landscape you posted is incredible.

i don't have an opinion but what radio wrote makes sense to me. as i was reading the quotes, the following crossed my mind: Si, Fi, introvert.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I definitely think he's a IXXp type, for the same reason Radio made. That 2nd quote has me thinking Si > Ni, plus a lot of his paintings depict people seemingly surrendering themselves and merging with their physical environment. I would love for him to be ISTp, although I did initially humor INTp.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

my first impression was IxTp somewhere around sx|sp with instincts ... his looks rather gruff and has a note of skepticism in his eyes that makes me more inclined to go with a Te-creative typing for him among the IP types

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by siuntal View Post
    my first impression was IxTp somewhere around sx|sp with instincts ... his looks rather gruff and has a note of skepticism in his eyes that makes me more inclined to go with a Te-creative typing for him among the IP types
    I think he's sx/sp as well.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ALL GALEN THINKS ABOUT IS SEX
    Last edited by Park; 06-08-2012 at 09:21 PM.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how on earth does carly rae whoever have 16 posts and this has less than half that?

I hate this country

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

His quotes kind of reflect general values of Romanticism ...dunno if one can really use them as a resource for typing. Inspiration from the heart, solitary contemplation, merging with nature, sacred moment blah-blah. But overall he seems Si ... probably Logical (there's no SEIs in Germany -- anything born non-Delta/Beta ST would be immediately shipped abroad to keep the nation balanced&pure).
    I'd say his paintings are def SO last. He looks kinda obsessed in some pics, mmm, he could be sx/sp.
    Last edited by Amber; 12-10-2014 at 02:15 PM.