Results 1 to 30 of 30

Thread: Ni vs Ne

  1. #1
    strrrng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    Ni-IEI 4w3 sx/so
    Posts
    8,781
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by esper
    I get really excited by possibilities. When someone introduces a new possibility in my life, I think, ohhhh we could do this or this or this or this! Or like, reading about the new military robot "Big Dog" gets me so excited about the future potential of science. I start thinking about all the wonderful possibilities this could lead us to. I love reading up on new developments in anything--technology, psychology, etc.
    hmm...you're INFp? The way you described it doesn't necessarily point to Ni or Ne, but the bolded part seemed more Ne. What I find the difference between Ne and Ni to be, in this regard, is that Ni is constantly scanning possibilities and creating internal abstractions, which translates to vision. It comes down to whether they can implement it with their Se. Ne, on the other hand, is constantly scanning possibilities as external possibilities, creating an attitude of always seeking new developments. From that perspective, an Ne may act on the possibilities more frequently than, but not as significantly as, the Ni person who applies that vision ruthlessly every now and then.

  2. #2
    strrrng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    Ni-IEI 4w3 sx/so
    Posts
    8,781
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by esper
    I don't think I tend to analyze developments as static external possibilities that can be immediately acted apon, but rather as building blocks to something interesting that could happen, and then I try to envision how it could happen, loving to talk and theorize.
    you are definitely Ni lol. Ni wants to develop that vision to perfection. what I've observed in myself is that I will formulate these possibilites based off of certain perceptions, as if I'm peeling away or adding on layers of something, but it typically remains as this idealistic plan that most of the time falls short. but when it does happen (and this is for any Ni person), it's a beautiful thing.

  3. #3
    Joy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    SEE-Se
    Posts
    24,501
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by esper View Post
    I get really excited by possibilities. When someone introduces a new possibility in my life, I think, ohhhh we could do this or this or this or this! Or like, reading about the new military robot "Big Dog" gets me so excited about the future potential of science. I start thinking about all the wonderful possibilities this could lead us to. I love reading up on new developments in anything--technology, psychology, etc.

    Is this still Ni vs. Ne I'm experiencing here?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1czBcnX1Ww
    This sounds rather Alpha > Beta, I think.
    SEE-Se, 852 sx/so

    Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

  4. #4
    Cudcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    105
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    Quote Originally Posted by esper
    I get really excited by possibilities. When someone introduces a new possibility in my life, I think, ohhhh we could do this or this or this or this! Or like, reading about the new military robot "Big Dog" gets me so excited about the future potential of science. I start thinking about all the wonderful possibilities this could lead us to. I love reading up on new developments in anything--technology, psychology, etc.

    Is this still Ni vs. Ne I'm experiencing here?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1czBcnX1Ww
    This sounds rather Alpha > Beta, I think.
    I agree.

    Sounds like you'd enjoy the company of an ILE.

  5. #5
    The Troll Slayer Hitta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    In your mom's uterus
    Posts
    4,008
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Um thats +Ne/-Ni. This is something that a Alpha or Beta would like. Alpha and Betas love novelty.
    Model X Will Save Us!

    *randomwarelinkremoved

    jessica129:scrotums r hot

    :" hitting cap makes me envision cervix smashing"

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    TIM
    TiNe
    Posts
    7,967
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    hmm...you're INFp? The way you described it doesn't necessarily point to Ni or Ne, but the bolded part seemed more Ne. What I find the difference between Ne and Ni to be, in this regard, is that Ni is constantly scanning possibilities and creating internal abstractions, which translates to vision. It comes down to whether they can implement it with their Se. Ne, on the other hand, is constantly scanning possibilities as external possibilities, creating an attitude of always seeking new developments. From that perspective, an Ne may act on the possibilities more frequently than, but not as significantly as, the Ni person who applies that vision ruthlessly every now and then.
    Well now by that token, wouldn't an Ne type choose Ni on basis of the harmony it offers between paths? "If I go this path, I'll end up in conflict with X, but if I go this other path, then X just might work with me." The reason collaboration is needed, is to dillute a given Se force, or so I would imagine.

    If you go it alone, then you'll just clash against the force, and it might be too much for you to overcome. But if you go it together, then between you and your companions you can each do your part to twiddle that force away abrasion by abrasion; meanwhile, the infringing force must dillute its strength to confront the lot of you, a process that might well sap it of its advantage.

    An example is an RPG battle against a boss. If you've got the resources then you can usually win out with a group against a one-hit wonder, because if you've got say, four people then you can devote two of them to recovery and one to hitting the boss. The boss hits one person with an overwhelming, killing strike once a round, only to see its victim revived by a team effort, plus HP loss due to the non-committed member. I used this selfsame technique in Final Fantasy II to score some unexpected upsets. (it was, in fact, the critical flaw in the game's battle strategy).

    Alternately the boss can slam you with a big spell, but spread across multiple targets a lot of the impact is lost. Take FFVI's Atma Weapon, for example: against one person its Flare Star spell hits for a terminal 2500+ damage, but against a group it hits for 650+ per person.

    I think we can refine this line of thought -- that by choosing a background function one can positively direct a foreground function in the direction of its dual -- a little farther...

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    TIM
    TiNe
    Posts
    7,967
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hitta View Post
    Um thats +Ne/-Ni. This is something that a Alpha or Beta would like. Alpha and Betas love novelty.
    Dude, if you want to be of use to us, find us more +/- information and let us decide for ourselves what it means, OK?

  8. #8
    aka-kitsune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    966
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by esper View Post
    I think the worst thing Ni can do to you is make you so concerned about the possibilities that you are too preoccupied trying to figure out the 'perfect' organization of them to act. And sometimes you have to act decisively and quickly to make it work at all.
    I *totally* have this problem.

    Once I've identified something I want to do, I go out madly and energetically collecting all the essential elements, preparations, read up on it extensively, acquire, acquire, acquire... and then... don't actually attempt it. Or, make a half-hearted attempt, but can't make myself cough up the self-discipline to stick to it. wtf? I'm really good at preparing and anticipating, but very poor at actual application. =(

    It seems like I fear taking the risk to DO something, lest it fall short of my vision. Or, I haven't the patience and perseverence to build up the skill required. This kind of thing normally occurs in regard to something like an artistic project. I can't tell you how many novel hobbies I've sprinted into, just to drift away from them when encountering frustration of less-than ideal outcomes.
    socio: INFp - IEI
    ennea: 4w5 sp/sx

    **********

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
    Only kings, presidents, editors, and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial 'we'.

  9. #9
    Blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,725
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esper
    I think the worst thing Ni can do to you is make you so concerned about the possibilities that you are too preoccupied trying to figure out the 'perfect' organization of them to act. And sometimes you have to act decisively and quickly to make it work at all.
    I *totally* have this problem.

    Once I've identified something I want to do, I go out madly and energetically collecting all the essential elements, preparations, read up on it extensively, acquire, acquire, acquire... and then... don't actually attempt it. Or, make a half-hearted attempt, but can't make myself cough up the self-discipline to stick to it. wtf? I'm really good at preparing and anticipating, but very poor at actual application. =(

    It seems like I fear taking the risk to DO something, lest it fall short of my vision. Or, I haven't the patience and perseverence to build up the skill required. This kind of thing normally occurs in regard to something like an artistic project. I can't tell you how many novel hobbies I've sprinted into, just to drift away from them when encountering frustration of less-than ideal outcomes
    i have this problem too at times. so what i do is write down the goal on a piece of paper and make a list of specific things i have to do to reach the goal, sort of like a check list. then i start doing the checklist. it works!

    ILE

    those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

  10. #10
    So fluffeh. Cuddly McFluffles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    TIM
    ESI
    Posts
    2,780
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by esper View Post
    Oh, so both formulate possibilities, but the Ne tends to act on them more because the Ni has to activate their Se in order to act on it? That makes sense.
    That doesn't sound right to me. We s are Se Role, so we'd be even worse at Se.

    Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg View Post
    An example is an RPG battle against a boss. If you've got the resources then you can usually win out with a group against a one-hit wonder, because if you've got say, four people then you can devote two of them to recovery and one to hitting the boss. The boss hits one person with an overwhelming, killing strike once a round, only to see its victim revived by a team effort, plus HP loss due to the non-committed member. I used this selfsame technique in Final Fantasy II to score some unexpected upsets. (it was, in fact, the critical flaw in the game's battle strategy).

    Alternately the boss can slam you with a big spell, but spread across multiple targets a lot of the impact is lost. Take FFVI's Atma Weapon, for example: against one person its Flare Star spell hits for a terminal 2500+ damage, but against a group it hits for 650+ per person.
    You may have just certified yourself as a nerd. Still, I find that example absolutely hilarious - somehow. I can't define it.
    Johari/Nohari

    "Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

    Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

  11. #11
    So fluffeh. Cuddly McFluffles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    TIM
    ESI
    Posts
    2,780
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    lol
    *shrugs* I have an odd sense of humor. Even I can't describe it, because I don't fully understand it.
    Johari/Nohari

    "Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

    Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

  12. #12
    So fluffeh. Cuddly McFluffles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    TIM
    ESI
    Posts
    2,780
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    No, I mean, I thought it was funny too. The "You may have just certified yourself as a nerd." part.
    Johari/Nohari

    "Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

    Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

  13. #13
    Creepy-Cyclops

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryene Astraelis View Post
    I found it funny to

    Sometimes tho, it's cool to be a nerd, ie - it's hip to be square! .. And by square I mean ..

  14. #14
    So fluffeh. Cuddly McFluffles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    TIM
    ESI
    Posts
    2,780
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I found it funny to

    Sometimes tho, it's cool to be a nerd, ie - it's hip to be square! .. And by square I mean ..
    *pokes* That's for the pun. Anyway, I'm a nerd, too, so I wasn't trying to be mean to him.
    Johari/Nohari

    "Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

    Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

  15. #15
    Creepy-Cyclops

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryene Astraelis View Post
    *pokes* That's for the pun. Anyway, I'm a nerd, too, so I wasn't trying to be mean to him.
    I didn't think you were

    Psst..think I might be a nerd too

  16. #16
    So fluffeh. Cuddly McFluffles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    TIM
    ESI
    Posts
    2,780
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I didn't think you were

    Psst..think I might be a nerd too
    Bookworm, high IQ, and a huge interest in Tolkien. I don't know Elvish, but I may know more Tolkien info than a lot of people. Add that to the fact that I had started helping someone write an RPG (his idea, but I had some backstory for some of my charas to write). I qualify.
    Johari/Nohari

    "Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

    Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

  17. #17
    So fluffeh. Cuddly McFluffles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    TIM
    ESI
    Posts
    2,780
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    I wanna know Elvish....
    I wanna know Legolas...
    Johari/Nohari

    "Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

    Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

  18. #18
    Your DNA is mine. Mediator Kam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    TIM
    SEI
    Posts
    4,481
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I love all you guys.
    D-SEI 9w1

    This is me and my dual being scientific together

  19. #19
    Your DNA is mine. Mediator Kam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    TIM
    SEI
    Posts
    4,481
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    You treat me so poorly, but I like it.
    D-SEI 9w1

    This is me and my dual being scientific together

  20. #20
    tereg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    TIM
    EII/INFj
    Posts
    4,684
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryene Astraelis View Post
    Bookworm, high IQ, and a huge interest in Tolkien. I don't know Elvish, but I may know more Tolkien info than a lot of people. Add that to the fact that I had started helping someone write an RPG (his idea, but I had some backstory for some of my charas to write). I qualify.
    I took a course in college on Linguistics of Middle Earth. (Edit: no, I can't speak Elvish)

    It was a very interesting class.

    Might be up your alley.
    INFj

    9w1 sp/sx

  21. #21

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,276
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    They actually offered that as a course?? How many people took it?

  22. #22
    Creepy-Cyclops

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tiny_dancer View Post
    They actually offered that as a course?? How many people took it?
    Mostly dwarves, elves and wizards..and Tereg the White!

    PS There where five wizards yeah, sauraman, gandalf, radaghast the brown, <someone> the blue..and someone else?

    ..So infact..was there five or were there just four then?

  23. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    TIM
    TiNe
    Posts
    7,967
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryene Astraelis View Post
    You may have just certified yourself as a nerd. Still, I find that example absolutely hilarious - somehow. I can't define it.
    Or I may not have. The judgement of Fe is meaningless.

  24. #24
    tereg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    TIM
    EII/INFj
    Posts
    4,684
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tiny_dancer View Post
    They actually offered that as a course?? How many people took it?
    The class I was in had about 20-25 or so.
    INFj

    9w1 sp/sx

  25. #25
    So fluffeh. Cuddly McFluffles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    TIM
    ESI
    Posts
    2,780
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    But Viggo is hotter than Orlando. Are we agreed on that??
    Actually, I'd take Orlando over Viggo. Then, I am an anime fan, and most of the hot guys there are girly-looking. And I don't really care for Viggo, physically; but Aragorn is a looker.

    Quote Originally Posted by tereg View Post
    I took a course in college on Linguistics of Middle Earth. (Edit: no, I can't speak Elvish)

    It was a very interesting class.

    Might be up your alley.
    I doubt they have that here. Still, fun.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Mostly dwarves, elves and wizards..and Tereg the White!

    PS There where five wizards yeah, sauraman, gandalf, radaghast the brown, <someone> the blue..and someone else?

    ..So infact..was there five or were there just four then?
    There were five. Two were blue. I don't remember whether the men gave them names or not. One was called Pallando where he came from; I think the other started with an A. They went into the east, though, past Middle Earth.
    Johari/Nohari

    "Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

    Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

  26. #26
    tereg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    TIM
    EII/INFj
    Posts
    4,684
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Here is a feature they did on the class

    http://www.utexas.edu/features/archi...2/tolkien.html
    INFj

    9w1 sp/sx

  27. #27
    So fluffeh. Cuddly McFluffles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    TIM
    ESI
    Posts
    2,780
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tereg View Post
    Here is a feature they did on the class

    http://www.utexas.edu/features/archi...2/tolkien.html
    Score. Still...it doesn't really have any practical application. It's like learning Klingon or something.
    Johari/Nohari

    "Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

    Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

  28. #28
    tereg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    TIM
    EII/INFj
    Posts
    4,684
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryene Astraelis View Post
    Score. Still...it doesn't really have any practical application. It's like learning Klingon or something.
    Though the course is based on Tolkien’s languages, students shouldn’t expect to come out of it speaking Dwarvish or Elvish. Rather, Hoyt said, they will learn the patterns Tolkien used in the languages and how to find patterns in one’s own way of speaking.
    “Meta-linguistic awareness is the idea that you are able to reflect on your own speech habits,” Hoyt said. “Linguistics is the study of what all human languages have in common in terms of how they put words together to make larger expressions. If there is one thing I hope students get out of this class, it is to become aware of how they are saying things.”
    For someone that doesn't have a linguistics/liberal arts background, I found this to be quite practical and interesting.

    Also, it was just really interesting learning about how Tolkien crafted the languages he invented and how he took great care in relating the language to a cultural context.

    “Every name Tolkien used in his books has an etymology,” Hoyt said, “It has a linguistic history. He didn’t include a single name without exhaustively going through and determining what the possible etymology might have been, given the groundwork he had laid. And then he started writing the story because he needed something to do with the languages. Tolkien believed that you couldn’t separate a language from its cultural context.

    “Since he was inventing languages he needed to invent a cultural context to go with it,” Hoyt explained. “You can study his invented languages and still see things about real languages. All the patterns that you find in Tolkien’s languages are patterns found in the world’s languages. He quilted things together.”
    INFj

    9w1 sp/sx

  29. #29
    So fluffeh. Cuddly McFluffles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    TIM
    ESI
    Posts
    2,780
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tereg View Post
    For someone that doesn't have a linguistics/liberal arts background, I found this to be quite practical and interesting.

    Also, it was just really interesting learning about how Tolkien crafted the languages he invented and how he took great care in relating the language to a cultural context.
    I agree that it's fascinating, and I love linguistics. I just don't see a point in learning to read or speak a language that most people don't use. But that's me.
    Johari/Nohari

    "Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

    Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

  30. #30
    Poster Nutbag The Exception's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    my own personal bubble
    TIM
    LII-Ne
    Posts
    4,108
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I found it funny to

    Sometimes tho, it's cool to be a nerd, ie - it's hip to be square! .. And by square I mean ..
    The white ones more hip. :-D
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •