Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: ISTp: Intuition double-whammy

  1. #1
    force my hand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,334
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default ISTp: Intuition double-whammy

    From wikisocion:

    SLIs try to reject all feelings of anxiety and insecurity about the future and simply accept what is. They often entertain doubts and worries about what the future might bring...
    Pretty accurate. I find myself planning for the future, and I enjoy thinking about various possibilities, but when it comes to fulfilling an actual choice I've made, it can be quite stressful. It harshes whatever chill I've got going on at that moment.

    This can be something big like a change of job, or something small like going out for a cup of coffee. Of course, when I'm actually doing whatever it is that was stressing me out, I'm fine, because I can easily adapt my flow.


    SLIs have a hard time recognizing and taking advantage of opportunities that do not already lie under their noses. They tend to be naive in their expectations for the future and put little effort into putting themselves into strategic positions where they will be able to seize opportunities when the right time comes, or minimize their losses if things turn against them.
    One problem I'm personally facing is how to position myself to take advantage of all the opportunities that come my way. A common refrain: "This time I won't fuck it up." It's not so much procrastination as it is good intentions with no directions.

    --

    SLIs cannot stand being hurried and prodded by other people to do things faster. If there is a real reason to move faster, they want to be told the reason rather than be fed feelings of anxiety, which paralyses them rather than spurring them to action.
    This doesn't have much to do with the above, but it caught my eye. Feeding me anxiety is poking my polr. What the hell do you think is going to happen? I have a brain, I use logic - if you've reached a conclusion, the facts will likely lead me to that same conclusion.
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

  2. #2
    JuJu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Springfield, Massachusetts, USA
    TIM
    EIE
    Posts
    2,704
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Good topic.

    I admire ISTps more than any other type--they are my favorite type--but Ive also noticed that their expectations for the future can be naive and their strategies for reaching their goals can go, well, unexecuted...

    E.G. I dated an ISTp, (who's been the love of my life so far, honestly,) who desired to have success, who desired to influence on the world and make positive impact on others. We were/still are pretty young, (early-mid 20s,) and the SLI could make a tremendous impact on the world with some direction--but I became frustrated regarding how a lot of time and epic amounts of potential were wasted on mind-numbing hard drugs and stupid kids-stuff like misdemeanor shop-lifting. Just directionless stuff.

    In my experience, most SLIs have great intentions, but some have no strategy regarding how to get from here to there, so to speak... I suspect that this is only partly type-related and also partly maturity-related.

    force my hand and other ISTps--do you find that you're getting better at putting yourself in good positions to take advantage of opportunities as you mature? Or it just a weakness? (Like Ti for me is just a weakness--it's not getting any better with time, haha)
    s this something that ISTps grow out of..?
    Last edited by JuJu; 03-23-2008 at 10:41 PM. Reason: spelled opportunities wrong... the admissions officers at my grad school would be ashamed.

  3. #3
    xyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    7,709
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JuJu View Post
    Good topic.

    I admire ISTps more than any other type--they are my favorite type--but Ive also noticed that their expectations for the future can be naive and their strategies for reaching their goals can go, well, unexecuted...

    E.G. I dated an ISTp, (who's been the love of my life so far, honestly,) who desired to have success, who desired to influence on the world and make positive impact on others. We were/still are pretty young, (early-mid 20s,) and the SLI could make a tremendous impact on the world with some direction--but I became frustrated regarding how a lot of time and epic amounts of potential were wasted on mind-numbing hard drugs and stupid kids-stuff like misdemeanor shop-lifting. Just directionless stuff.

    In my experience, most SLIs have great intentions, but some have no strategy regarding how to get from here to there, so to speak... I suspect that this is only partly type-related and also partly maturity-related.

    force my hand and other ISTps--do you find that you're getting better at putting yourself in good positions to take advantage of opportunities as you mature? Or it just a weakness? (Like Ti for me is just a weakness--it's not getting any better with time, haha)
    s this something that ISTps grow out of..?
    I'm getting a little better at positioning myself for opportunities... well, ok no i lied, not really.
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

    - Voltaire

  4. #4
    Lobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    TIM
    EII 6w5
    Posts
    2,080
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by force my hand View Post
    From wikisocion:



    Quote:
    SLIs try to reject all feelings of anxiety and insecurity about the future and simply accept what is. They often entertain doubts and worries about what the future might bring...

    Pretty accurate. I find myself planning for the future, and I enjoy thinking about various possibilities, but when it comes to fulfilling an actual choice I've made, it can be quite stressful. It harshes whatever chill I've got going on at that moment.

    This can be something big like a change of job, or something small like going out for a cup of coffee. Of course, when I'm actually doing whatever it is that was stressing me out, I'm fine, because I can easily adapt my flow.
    Isn't this contradictory? The first line says they "try to reject," then it says that they "often entertain" them. Unless this is more along the lines of what the quote meant: "Even though they try to reject.., they often entertain..."

    Anyway, I do think that there is another factor that's not included as to "why" ISTps might not put themselves into situations of "great opportunity": friends, family, and relationships. At least, this is something I have seen from them on the career level. Maybe this has to do with the level of importance?

  5. #5
    force my hand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,334
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sereno View Post
    Isn't this contradictory? The first line says they "try to reject," then it says that they "often entertain" them. Unless this is more along the lines of what the quote meant: "Even though they try to reject.., they often entertain..."
    The concept is sound if you think about it; any apparent contradiction is likely due to poor phrasing (I think it's fine, though. I understand the point the author is trying to make).
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

  6. #6
    Éminence grise mikemex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Third Planet
    TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Posts
    1,631
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    SLIs have a tremendous reasoning ability, but let's not forget that they are sensors first and logicals second. With this I try to say that most of their reasoning skills are used to respond to what their senses are registering. And since our senses are simply a never ending stream of information they find it difficult to disengage themselves from the present they live in.

    When an IEE and SLI interact, each tries to push each other, gently of course, toward the immediate present or away from it, depending on how pleasant it is. This is beneficial for both because without the SLI the IEE would keep floating around and never throwing the anchor. And, most important for this thread, the SLI would get stuck into disadvantageous situations without the IEE.
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

    You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.

  7. #7
    Twist-Tie Spider iAnnAu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Knoxhell TN
    Posts
    987
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LokiVanguard View Post
    I'm getting a little better at positioning myself for opportunities... well, ok no i lied, not really.
    Ha ha ha! Me too!
    I like my existence to retain the possibility of randomness, and at 33 I fully recognize that failing to narrow myself down to concrete goals has in its own way limited me. And yet I just feel too contrived to say, "This is what I'll be doing in 5 years" - I'd *rather* not know, even though obviously I'd at least like to be better off then than now ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bukowski
    We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.
    SLI

  8. #8
    schrödinger's cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    IEE
    Posts
    1,186
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    SLIs have a hard time recognizing and taking advantage of opportunities that do not already lie under their noses. They tend to be naive in their expectations for the future and put little effort into putting themselves into strategic positions where they will be able to seize opportunities when the right time comes, or minimize their losses if things turn against them.
    Do ISTps ever have over-high expectations and discount everything that's not "the best"?

    Like, say, wanting to build their own cars from scratch, but they don't own a workshop and they haven't got a million dollars to spend on equipment etc, so that's it, they can't do it AT ALL? And when you then ask them why on EARTH they don't at least, oh, take a course or build model cars or something, they then say that "it wouldn't be the same"? And when you say that "...but it wouldn't be the same as just sitting on your ass feeling sorry for yourself either", they make some half-hearted mooing noises because they know you're right but they can't let go of their impression that their dream MUST come true EXACTLY as they dreamed it because anything else doesn't COUNT?

  9. #9
    Creepy-Cyclops

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by schrödinger's cat View Post
    Do ISTps ever have over-high expectations and discount everything that's not "the best"?

    Like, say, wanting to build their own cars from scratch, but they don't own a workshop and they haven't got a million dollars to spend on equipment etc, so that's it, they can't do it AT ALL? And when you then ask them why on EARTH they don't at least, oh, take a course or build model cars or something, they then say that "it wouldn't be the same"? And when you say that "...but it wouldn't be the same as just sitting on your ass feeling sorry for yourself either", they make some half-hearted mooing noises because they know you're right but they can't let go of their impression that their dream MUST come true EXACTLY as they dreamed it because anything else doesn't COUNT?
    Personally I don't think so. For instance, one of my hobbies is cycling. A few years back myself and a few guys from the cycling club went on a frame building course at the local college. Now the frame we were making would not be top of line..we made it out of steel for instance rather than aluminium etc. Anyway I proceeded to build my own frame and proceeded to build up most of the bike myself (wheels, mech etc) It's not top of range of course, but it's mine. I use it in the winter time as it sturdy and reliable (i know..i made it) It doesn't have to be ace, it just has to be ok, some good parts, work around some of the litte flaws (but as I know it well understand the flaws so we get on fine!) and it's good to tinker with stuff and gave me lots of insights to repair existing bikes also.

    Don't see why this couldn't apply to cars also. Just think of that song 'One Piece At A Time' which happens to be a personal favourite of Cyclops

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •