Thread: Birth Order

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Birth Order

gay sex
    Last edited by istpunk; 07-17-2008 at 06:13 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by istpunk View Post
    It's been scientifically known that oldest siblings get along with youngest siblings. And middle sibblings seem to get along with either
    Is this a redundant statement?
    ENTp... love it

3w2

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Birth order would affect a person's personality but not their functional or information metabolism preferences.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Creepy-Cyclops

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    Birth order would affect a person's personality but not their functional or information metabolism preferences.
    You don't know that for certain.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got both first born, middle born and youngest born friends. I don't believe in this kind of discrimination.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    You don't know that for certain.
    Of course not, but would you be able to make a case for why it would?
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Creepy-Cyclops

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    Of course not, but would you be able to make a case for why it would?
    Well, keeping in mind i'm not so keen on making a 'serious' one, birth order does not only relate to age in relation to siblings, but the nine months spent within the womb. There appears to be some difference in males for instance were the first born has facial symmetry and the others do not. There's also some research (of which I would have to dig again for a bit) that suggests hormones and chemicals have an effect on personality (type also) while the foetus is still growing. Also these chemical balances can be different for further children. Just some ideas on the subject to say I guess it's not fully conclusive, seeing as you asked

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

all my friends are seemingly youngest born. it's really odd, but most of them are from two sibling families. i am from a three sibling family and get along really well with middle children. i usually get along best with middle children, in fact. they are for whatever reason the most rebellious and this appeals to me because being the youngest seems to make the least rebellious.
    asd

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It sounds odd to label myself an oldest child (since I'm only 56 minutes older than my twin brother), but now that I think about it, pretty much all my friends are the oldest siblings in their family as well. That's very weird.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For friends, I have friends of all different birth orders. But for dating, I've almost always been happiest w/ oldest, and I'm youngest. So it makes sense to me.

I'd heard the birth order thing was more of an adaptive thing that kids learn...the first one wants to prove that they're intelligent, responsible and helpfull (to avoid getting kicked out of the nest) and the middle wants to keep the peace, and the youngest proves their value by being charming and cute/lightening things up.

But I could also seem some biological basis, because that also makes sense. If the first child is more responsible, they'd help take care of the younger children, etc.

I dunno. Interesting stuff though.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Herzy View Post
    My birth order doesn't really mean anything, considering that my older brother is autistic, and my other brother is my twin (he is three minutes younger than I am).
    Mine either. Im an only child
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jewels View Post
    I'd heard the birth order thing was more of an adaptive thing that kids learn...
    I agree with this. I've got 3 siblings, and our true personalities didn't really emerge until we'd grown up. We all had our different roles when we were younger. Our personalities are (oldest to youngest) ENFj, ISFp (me), ENFp and ISTp ... and yet my sister and I, being the oldest two, played ESTj and ISFj because we felt we had to. I was considered the responsible one lol. My brothers got away with being themselves though.
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't looked too far into the matter but now that I think about it most of my lasting friendships are with Oldest/Only born ppl, and I'm an oldest child too, this topic is interesting
    INFp-Ni

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting, I get along with people who are only children mostly, or are nearly youngest.
    D-SEI 9w1

This is me and my dual being scientific together

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ OP: I actually feel closer to my younger sister, who is another oldest child (there's almost 9 years between us); I do think that part of this is due to our opposing temperaments (I'm San/something IEE, and she's Mel/Chlor [likely] ESI). My little brother's a pretty typical youngest, and I've had plenty of issues with him.

I don't know whether I get along better with one or the other, but I'm not entirely sure how I fit, either. I'm the eldest female, regardless, and having two much-younger siblings has cemented that; but I spent nearly six years as an only child, and I read that it's the first five that fix a child's birth order influence. I don't know that there's any pattern, but then, I don't know the birth order of all my friends.
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

This is crap.

It's been scientifically known that straight people are idiots.

See what I did there?

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you researched this theory? Different factors include: gender; birth defects; relative size; birth order of parents; space between children; personality/values of child; and values in the family. No doubt I've missed some. It's not cut and dried by any means.
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm an oldest and I tend to make the closest relationships with oldest children. One of my close friends is a youngest child (but three years older than me) But he is *sooo* a youngest child. Regardless of how old they get, there are still some little tendencies...

On a side note:
    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I've got both first born, middle born and youngest born friends. I don't believe in this kind of discrimination.
    Are you a middle child?

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm an only child. hmm. i have friends of all different birth orders.

err... don't think this works.
    INTp
    sx/sp

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by angelalala View Post
    I'm an oldest and I tend to make the closest relationships with oldest children. One of my close friends is a youngest child (but three years older than me) But he is *sooo* a youngest child. Regardless of how old they get, there are still some little tendencies...

On a side note:

Are you a middle child?
    Nope, I'm eldest...
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm oldest (of 2), and of people I call close friends, about half are oldest, and half are middle or youngest

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My husband is a youngest child and I'm an oldest but the funny thing is, our personalities are such that he actually plays the role of the oldest when we gets together with my family. It's pretty amusing. But yeah, I have tended to get along with youngest children romantically. My best girl friends are mostly oldest, like me.
    IEI-Fe 4w3