Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fi valuing types and being aroused by music

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Fi valuing types and being aroused by music

Does this happen, or because they don't like having their mood changed (i.e. they don't react well to Fe) do they not get mentally aroused; get warm and fuzzy; get spinetingles; get goosebumps; get inspiration; get a rush; get enthusiastic about music that induces these kinds of feelings in them? Do Fi valuers not react to a great piece of music? Is this why their iTunes collection is inexistent?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there is too much to complain about that pretty much everything is going to be put to the wayside.

no just kidding

i haven't observed this, but i can't think of any Fi or Te types that i know that are really deeply into grooving music.
    asd

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i can't answer, really. since the marriage, ezra's the only thing that arouses me!
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Creepy-Cyclops

Quote Originally Posted by implied View Post
    i can't answer, really. since the marriage, ezra's the only thing that arouses me!
    He gives you a hard on

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes. music is not something i would "groove to" especially, but i find that certain music can be very stimulating, as long it corresponds to a state of mind i'd be receptive to at a given time.

it's something i sort of half-consciously associated with Ni + Fi.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like music, but it is not because I like "grooving" to it. Yuck. That creeps me out.
    EII 4w5

so/sx (?)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i DEFINITELY get those feelings from music.
    ESFp-Fi sub
    6w7 sx/so/sp

Creepy-Cyclops

Quote Originally Posted by Christy B View Post
    I like music, but it is not because I like "grooving" to it. Yuck. That creeps me out.
    What's grooving to music? To me that suggests dancing, but you put it as something more sinister?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All of my Si valueing friends are pretty obsessed with music. In fact, my ENFP friend is a singer/songwriter.
    I find that I get really depressed if I don't spend a chunk of my day walking around and listening to music. For me, music either sets a mood (sometimes I like it to be consistent with my current mood, other times to diverge so as to change my own mood) or it lets me express emotions that I wouln't normally express.
    One thing that I was thinking about recently is how my ENFJ mother differs in her music taste from me and my INTP father. My father and I are always listening to music (usually Classic Rock or Opera) really loudly in the car and usually singing/screaming/crying along, while my mother is complaining that it's "too loud" and trying to get us to switch to Easy Listening on the lowest volume setting. YUCK.
    I think a plausible explanation for this behavior is that my mom is so emotional and expressive that she doesn't really need an added emotional trigger, whereas my father and I sort of need music to facilitate our own emotions. In particular, I think I feel "safe" to express Fe emotions when I'm listening to music because I can put it in the category of "acting," i.e. I'm allowed to express the emotion because the onus has been removed. For my mom, however, her life IS a stage, so theatrical emotions abound.
    EII; E6(w5)

i am flakey

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have an extensive itunes library, thankyouverymuch.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think that music is pretty universal, but that different people have different relations to different kinds of music and different reasons for enjoying it.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Omg Musak

My Love.
    D-SEI 9w1

This is me and my dual being scientific together

Creepy-Diana

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    I don't listen to a lot of music. When I do feel like listening it has to be fitting to my state of mind, or else it tends to be annoying. I'm just not a big music person, but I can very much enjoy and be moved by it. Eesh, Fi people aren't robots after all
    yeah, i agree with this. i think it's too one dimensional to say that only Fe types can love music or be emotionally affected by music.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17 View Post
    i think that music is pretty universal, but that different people have different relations to different kinds of music and different reasons for enjoying it.
    You know, there is one person I know who doesn't like any music at all. Not any kind. She calls every kind of music "noise". I have asked her about this - said "You must have SOME songs you like." But no, she doesn't like any of it. But she's the only person I've ever known like this. She's ENTj, though I don't think that's the reason. Not that I know what the reason is.

I am Fi-valuing and I definitely have an emotional reaction to music. But I'm Fi valuing AND strong in Fe so who knows. My husband likes music but I've never seen anything that seems at all emotive in response to it.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to say that music has a special place in my heart. It's great. I love it, really do.
    Last edited by munenori2; 03-18-2008 at 01:57 AM. Reason: I must have a dirty mind!
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Creepy-Cyclops

Music does not = socionics

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dancing is fun. 'grooving' is one of those pisspoor words that hurts as much to think about as to say, sorry. i think ezra meant 'do fi types have a physical response to music?'
    asd

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom View Post
    I am Fi-valuing and I definitely have an emotional reaction to music. But I'm Fi valuing AND strong in Fe so who knows. My husband likes music but I've never seen anything that seems at all emotive in response to it.

i'm not going to try to speak with your husband, but to me if music is evocative of a memory or, more generally, of some specific state of mind, then i'd say it's successfully emotive.

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    Does this happen, or because they don't like having their mood changed (i.e. they don't react well to Fe) do they not get mentally aroused; get warm and fuzzy; get spinetingles; get goosebumps; get inspiration; get a rush; get enthusiastic about music that induces these kinds of feelings in them? Do Fi valuers not react to a great piece of music? Is this why their iTunes collection is inexistent?
    Music does affect me in emotional ways. Certain songs conjure up images, sensations, places, and emotions from my past. There are some songs that I've heard that when I heard for the first time, just resonated within me in a very powerful way, and continues to do so.

I'll give you an example of one such song.

That song still brings me chills when I hear it. I really can't encapsulate what that does for me, but there's so many things happening within me at the same time.

I feel very strongly about the emotional impact of music when it happens.

My mood dictates what I listen to as well, and I have a wide range of music I will listen to to accomodate that.

There are rare occasions at dancing situations (because I rarely find myself at such places) where the music floods me and everything that I'm worried about or care about just gets drowned out, yet I'm not out of control. That happens maybe once every 5 years or so on average.

Music affects me in very strong ways.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I must disagree strongly with the OP hypothesis. I've been moved to tears (not sobbing, but misty-eyed, certainly) by music on more occasions than I can count.

Picture this scene: A full concert hall. A chorus is performing the last movement of Brahms' German Reqiuem. A group of college students is seated up in the balcony. About half of them are bored senseless, waiting and waiting for the ordeal to end. The other half is having a fairly enjoyable time, but this old-music-written-by-a-dead-white-guy stuff really isn't their cup of tea.

And then, there's one girl sitting at the edge of her seat, leaning against the balcony railing, positively riveted. She knows this piece inside and out, and every time it has the same effect.

Surely there must have been some Fe-types among the unmoved students. But the girl who was wiping her eyes at the end...I think you can all guess who it was.
    INFj / EII
    4w5

Diese Tage, die leer dir scheinen
    und wertlos für das All,
    haben Wurzeln zwischen den Steinen
    und trinken dort überall.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    He gives you a hard on
    Your mum gives me a hard on.

She's ENTj, though I don't think that's the reason. Not that I know what the reason is.
    When I met Expat, he was pretty indifferent. I tried to pin down what he liked. I asked if he liked, say, U2, and he said "yeah, they're pretty good", but it wasn't a case of "I really love U2"; he seemed almost impartial to them.

I am Fi-valuing and I definitely have an emotional reaction to music. But I'm Fi valuing AND strong in Fe so who knows.
    That's why I didn't want to say "Fi types"; in case people thought I meant people who were good at Fi, because they're good at Fe too, so I'm sure they'd have a reaction to music.

Quote Originally Posted by heath View Post
    i think ezra meant 'do fi types have a physical response to music?'
    That's exactly what I meant. Not "I got the groove; I need to dance" physical response, but when it hits your pleasure area in your brain, and sends chills down your spine. Do Fi cravers dig this? Would an ILI feel how I do when listening to 1492: Conquest of Paradise? Would an LSE be remotely inspired by a psychedelic trip out from the likes of Thievery Corporation?

Quote Originally Posted by Jane_Eyre View Post
    I must disagree strongly with the OP hypothesis. I've been moved to tears (not sobbing, but misty-eyed, certainly) by music on more occasions than I can count.
    Do you get spine-tingles?

Picture this scene: A full concert hall. A chorus is performing the last movement of Brahms' German Reqiuem.
    That is so uncool.

Creepy-Cyclops

Your mum gives me a hard on.
    She's a looker. It's a family thing.
    When I met Expat, he was pretty indifferent. I tried to pin down what he liked. I asked if he liked, say, U2, and he said "yeah, they're pretty good", but it wasn't a case of "I really love U2"; he seemed almost impartial to them.
    So does he like classical music or something if not rock.
    Would an LSE be remotely inspired by a psychedelic trip out from the likes of Thievery Corporation?
    Aye.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She's a looker. It's a family thing.
    Awesome. I'll get together with her and your sister some time.

So does he like classical music or something if not rock.
    I seriously think he's not that interested in music. Maybe it's a trend with all LIEs, maybe not.

Aye.
    The LSE just became my new best friend.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know, there is one person I know who doesn't like any music at all. Not any kind. She calls every kind of music "noise". I have asked her about this - said "You must have SOME songs you like." But no, she doesn't like any of it. But she's the only person I've ever known like this. She's ENTj, though I don't think that's the reason. Not that I know what the reason is.
    there are some chapters in the book Musicophilia by neurologist Oliver Sacks which discuss phenomena like this (I didn't really like the book though)

anyway, yeah I agree with the general consensus of this thread, I also liked Jane_Eyre's story

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tereg View Post
    Music does affect me in emotional ways. Certain songs conjure up images, sensations, places, and emotions from my past. There are some songs that I've heard that when I heard for the first time, just resonated within me in a very powerful way, and continues to do so.

I feel very strongly about the emotional impact of music when it happens.

My mood dictates what I listen to as well, and I have a wide range of music I will listen to to accomodate that.

Music affects me in very strong ways.
    I'd agree with these parts of Tereg's post as far as how music relates to me. I've found that If i'm in a mood that I'd rather not be in then I can easily just play the right music and cure that. However, there's also those songs that I hear and a bad memory may just pop right in there and screw that up just as easily. I've never played an instrument or sang a song that sounded worth a crap, but I'd say music is a very big part of my life and always has been.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I seriously think he's not that interested in music. Maybe it's a trend with all LIEs, maybe not.
    It's not. Not all LIEs, in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    I've found that If i'm in a mood that I'd rather not be in then I can easily just play the right music and cure that.
    My case is just the opposite: I cannot change my mood by music; I can only underline it. If I feel bad, I need depressive music to get the catharsis. If I feel good, I need no music. As to the reaching of cathartic state, it is much better if I play, rather than to listen to music. Somehow, playing droning, wailing blues when I'm down burns through my depression very quickly. The people who have heard me play said that those "songs" (they are all improvisations) are extremely expressive. There are no recordings.
    XXXx <-- almost a beer

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    I don't listen to a lot of music. When I do feel like listening it has to be fitting to my state of mind, or else it tends to be annoying. I'm just not a big music person, but I can very much enjoy and be moved by it. Eesh, Fi people aren't robots after all
    That's pretty much me, too.

Comments on Ezra's and Cyclops's comments: Ezra is right in that I'm not enthusiastic about any band, rock or otherwise. For instance, Rick and others can easily list, and comment on, huge numbers of their favorite bands; I can't, and I'm not particularly interested. That doesn't mean I'm indifferent to music in general; some pieces of music - for many reasons - can move me deeply in many ways, but usually it's due to the Ni+Fi thing as niffweed said; a few pieces can "energize" a bit but it's rare.

I do like classical music, but not everything, and I can't say I know that much about it, either.

I like well-made movie background music that just enhances the feelings I'm getting from the movie itself; however, if I feel it's ham-fisted in an obvious way as in "now, my puppets, this music is going to make you feel this way," then it annoys me.

But, for instance, for anyone who catches the example, the combination of music, image, and the feelings involved as per the last scenes of Citizen Kane, can move me deeply.

What I don't relate to at all is the idea of music - any kind of music - making me feel like dancing. No music has that effect on me at all. The only reason I ever dance - ever - is for the sake of the person I'm with. From that point of view, I'm indeed a robot.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by emeye View Post
    My case is just the opposite: I cannot change my mood by music; I can only underline it.
    This is how it is for me as well. Music tends to underscore how I'm feeling at a given moment, but not change my mood. That's why I said it accomodates how I feel.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, what emeye and tereq said.

If I'm depressed, to even try to change my mood by playing "good-mood music" just makes me feel worse.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah but if I'm in a bad mood, I love listening to sad music. Or angry music, depending on the specific bad mood.
    -Mark Twain

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i very rarely listen to music. unless i'm in the mood, which is... rare.

when someone else plays music, say in their car or something, i'm usually not paying attention to the music at all. like i'm totally oblivious to it. music is not really my thing.
    either that, or i find it annoying.
    INTp
    sx/sp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you get spine-tingles?

Do I ever!

That is so uncool.

I so don't care.
    INFj / EII
    4w5

Diese Tage, die leer dir scheinen
    und wertlos für das All,
    haben Wurzeln zwischen den Steinen
    und trinken dort überall.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for me, music carries with it an emotional content that should reflect an already existent mood state. i am very picky and often change songs/genres for quite some time until something resonates. as far as being moved by music, i would say not moved into some other mood state very often (as that is not why i listen to music), but certainly brought into reflective or trance-like states. it can also enhance my concentration or act as a prop to keep me grounded and relaxed. sometimes i play a song on repeat for days, in which case the music seems almost like proof that i exist in x mood and suggests there is something static about my feelings or at least in how i perceive them.

i have a huge itunes collection, btw, and too many cds to count....

Ezralizations!
    whenever the dog and i see each other we both stop where we are. we regard each other with a mixture of sadness and suspicion and then we feign indifference.

Jerry, The Zoo Story by Edward Albee

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reyn_til_runa View Post
    Ezralizations!
    Poetry, aren't they.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's grooving to music? To me that suggests dancing, but you put it as something more sinister?
    Not sinister. Just creepy. The word "grooving" makes me think of someone who is not necessarily dancing but, like, they cannot or do not care to keep control of the expression of their emotions as they are being affected by the superficial enjoyment of the music they are listening to. It seems indiscriminate, makes me uncomfortable, and I experience it as my feelings being invaded. Unless they are joking about “grooving”, by exaggerated "grooving" which I think is really funny.

(This does not include sincere emotional responses to powerful or meaningful music which affects people deeply. I would not consider this "grooving".)
    EII 4w5

so/sx (?)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Christy B View Post
    Not sinister. Just creepy. The word "grooving" makes me think of someone who is not necessarily dancing but, like, they cannot or do not care to keep control of the expression of their emotions as they are being affected by the superficial enjoyment of the music they are listening to. It seems indiscriminate, makes me uncomfortable, and I experience it as my feelings being invaded. Unless they are joking about “grooving”, by exaggerated "grooving" which I think is really funny.

(This does not include sincere emotional responses to powerful or meaningful music which affects people deeply. I would not consider this "grooving".)
    an extremely deep analysis that i thouroughly grooved with.
    asd

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting. Both my ISFp father and my INFj mother were music majors in college. You'd think they would both really enjoy music but as it turns out, my mother doesn't. She doesn't listen to anything. She appreciates music in an objective way--she knows how difficult classical music is to create, she does enjoy musicals to a degree and she values music education but in terms of listening to it herself to mirror or change her moods, not so much. My father on the other hand LOVES music. We feed music to each other constantly along with my INFp brother. My mom doesn't seem to be moved by it nor does she try to understand why we like it. She'll just say "I don't see what you guys like about that" or "turn it down please!" or (when we were on a trip) "could we please have some silence for awhile?" LOL It's as if the music is disturbing her steady peace of mind or something. She doesn't WANT to be changed by it, whereas I value the various moods that music can throw me into. I sometimes even seek it out either to be cheered up, to wallow (yes wallowing can be fun), or to remember--feel what it was like back in college or whatever.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have an extensive itunes library, thankyouverymuch.
    Me, too.

I like music, especially beautiful music. I'm not absorbed in or by it constantly like some people. I generally match my music to my mood rather than vice versa. And while I often work with music playing, sometimes I need silence to concentrate.

I can, however, get enthralled very similarly to how Jane_Eyre described. Some music just pulls me in. For example, I worked for awhile in a state capitol building, and occasionally music groups would come in and perform in the rotunda, most often choirs and/or strings. The acoustics in those marble halls are... uniquely amazing - echoing, filling, surrounding, magnifying, following... When they played, if I happened to be running any errands in any of the passages connected to the rotunda, I'd inevitably loose focus and find my feet following the sound to its source only to stand entranced and oblivious to all else until that hateful sense of duty dug its claws deep enough into my consciousness to weaken the spell. Walking away felt like breaking a piece of my heart away and a bittersweet dreamlike state would haunt me for hours after.
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Minde View Post
    I can, however, get enthralled very similarly to how Jane_Eyre described. Some music just pulls me in. For example, I worked for awhile in a state capitol building, and occasionally music groups would come in and perform in the rotunda, most often choirs and/or strings. The acoustics in those marble halls are... uniquely amazing - echoing, filling, surrounding, magnifying, following... When they played, if I happened to be running any errands in any of the passages connected to the rotunda, I'd inevitably loose focus and find my feet following the sound to its source only to stand entranced and oblivious to all else until that hateful sense of duty dug its claws deep enough into my consciousness to weaken the spell. Walking away felt like breaking a piece of my heart away and a bittersweet dreamlike state would haunt me for hours after.
    The visual I get from reading this is just so... vivid and rich.

I love it.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast