Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Vacations

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Posts
    11,586
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Vacations

    How do you plan these out? Do you do minimal preparations, like booking an hotel, getting the tickets, making sure you've got some money and then just wing it (pun accidental)?

    Or do you meticulously plan out many activities, spend several hours learning the basics of the language (or several hours making weird bird sounds if going to Canada) and culture, learn what numbers to call police and such, and make sure you've got more than enough money for all activities and any emergencies?

    You can also fall outside or in the middle of these two examples, but please share your vacation preparation styles.

    Not sure why I'm posting this in Gamma, lol.

  2. #2
    Expat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    10,853
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    More like the first option, but it depends on how much time I have, how familiar I am with the place I'm going to, and how many things I already know I want to see.

    For instance, the first time I went to Rome, there was so much I wanted to see, and they have crazy opening/closing times, that I spent a lot of time planning precisely what I was going to do and when.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

  3. #3
    Elro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    2,796
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post
    How do you plan these out? Do you do minimal preparations, like booking an hotel, getting the tickets, making sure you've got some money and then just wing it (pun accidental)?

    Or do you meticulously plan out many activities, spend several hours learning the basics of the language (or several hours making weird bird sounds if going to Canada) and culture, learn what numbers to call police and such, and make sure you've got more than enough money for all activities and any emergencies?

    You can also fall outside or in the middle of these two examples, but please share your vacation preparation styles.

    Not sure why I'm posting this in Gamma, lol.
    More the first... Actually probably totally the first, although I tend to want to do the second but then get sidetracked and never have enough time (or sustained interest) to get around to it.

    For instance, I'm leaving town in 3 hours, and still haven't packed. (Although I have thought about packing, and sort of know what I'm going to pack - since it's not much I'm being lazy. )

    I don't like having an itinerary though - vacations are for relaxing, not forced fun. If there's something special I want to do I'll plan for it, but most of my time is open.

    This might not be applicable forever since I'm not 100% out on my own yet - I might do more of the second when I move out on my own and can't slack off as much (without many penalties).
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

    Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.


    I pity your souls

  4. #4
    emeye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    255
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Vacations? What is vacations?

    Oh, it's that time when I'm not getting paid. I am very carefully planning to avoid such periods. However, sometimes that is unavoidable (i.e. I have to get home between assignments, if for nothing else then to transport my stuff.) Forced vacations are especially bad: at such times, I am at home, minimizing my expenses, working on getting an assignment ASAP.

    However, when I was an employee (long time ago) I did only the minimal planning, apart from having a place to stay, a way to get there and back, and enough funds on hand.
    XXXx <-- almost a beer

  5. #5
    liveandletlive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,290
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i just make sure i can get there, how to get there and try to not miss my travel method. once im there i figure there's a lot you'll learn to do from the locals and such so it's good to be flexible and go in with no expectations. you can't get disappointed
    ESFp-Fi sub
    6w7 sx/so/sp

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Posts
    11,586
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'm the kind of person who gets anxious and over-prepares. Since my Ni only sees possibilities, but doesn't seem to filter any of them, I try to prepare for all kinds of disasters, with the exception of activities that I have a lot of experience doing, since I know what to expect.

    The great thing about traveling with an ENTj is that I'd be able to rely on their Ni for the foresight to not worry so much, and they'd be able to rely on my sometimes annoying Se for direction on what to do. When I first met Joy in Fort Lolerdale, it was the first time either of us had been there, and I provided the "push" to walk around and see the city (we covered several miles on foot, and did a boat tour, which was cool) and she provided lots of fun commentary about what we were seeing that stimulated me.

  7. #7
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,632
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    It depends. I try to memorize roughly the map of the city and the locations of the main things I want to see, as well as the time of opening-closing of what I want to see. Then when I get there I decide what to do, depending also on whether I'm alone or with a travel partner.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  8. #8
    Expat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    10,853
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post
    she provided lots of fun commentary about what we were seeing that stimulated me.
    That's exactly what I tend to do when walking into a new town with someone, some people have called it my "going into tourist guide mode". Relieved to know ESIs really appreciate it. That's precisely how I behaved when walking through Rome with an ESI.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Posts
    11,586
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    That's exactly what I tend to do when walking into a new town with someone, some people have called it my "going into tourist guide mode". Relieved to know ESIs really appreciate it. That's precisely how I behaved when walking through Rome with an ESI.
    Yeah, I get bored with my surroundings unless I'm getting Te commentary or feedback from someone or something. Even if the Te is just conjecture, it gives me something to think about, otherwise I get quiet and seem angry.

    Likewise, it's easy for me to form opinions about things once I get some "real" information, and ENTjs seem to like hearing that kind of Fi type stuff.

  10. #10
    Expat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    10,853
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post
    Yeah, I get bored with my surroundings unless I'm getting Te commentary or feedback from someone or something. Even if the Te is just conjecture, it gives me something to think about, otherwise I get quiet and seem angry.

    Likewise, it's easy for me to form opinions about things once I get some "real" information, and ENTjs seem to like hearing that kind of Fi type stuff.
    The kind of comment I was prone to made was more like, "hey, over there that's the spot where Julius Caesar was murdered, very few people know it" and "you know, Gore Vidal used to live up there in that penthouse" or "there's an inscription from Caligula's time there on that obelisk, let's take a look?" etc etc etc. Some people find it unbearable.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

  11. #11
    Let's go to fairyland Minde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Amongst the stars
    TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Posts
    4,078
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    The kind of comment I was prone to made was more like, "hey, over there that's the spot where Julius Caesar was murdered, very few people know it" and "you know, Gore Vidal used to live up there in that penthouse" or "there's an inscription from Caligula's time there on that obelisk, let's take a look?" etc etc etc. Some people find it unbearable.
    You do know that if I'm ever in England and you're still there, you are going to be my tour guide, right? There's really no room for question or argument here.
    INFj / EII / FiNe
    ()


    "Fairy Tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." - G.K. Chesterton

    "Have courage and be kind." - Cinderella's mom

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Posts
    11,586
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    The kind of comment I was prone to made was more like, "hey, over there that's the spot where Julius Caesar was murdered, very few people know it" and "you know, Gore Vidal used to live up there in that penthouse" or "there's an inscription from Caligula's time there on that obelisk, let's take a look?" etc etc etc. Some people find it unbearable.
    That's exactly the kind of Te stuff that I like. I know that old buildings and landmarks are significant, but I don't feel like I can appreciate them until I know some trivia about why they're so important.

    There was an old house near where I used to live where George Washington hid out to make battle plans during the Revolutionary War, and for a long time I only new that it was an historic structure. Eventually I bothered to read the plaque in front of it while riding my bike, and once I learned that Washington himself used the house, I had a much fonder appreciation of it.

    Actually walking around with someone like that would make touring a lot more entertaining.

  13. #13
    Expat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    10,853
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Minde View Post
    You do know that if I'm ever in England and you're still there, you are going to be my tour guide, right? There's really no room for question or argument here.


    Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post
    That's exactly the kind of Te stuff that I like. I know that old buildings and landmarks are significant, but I don't feel like I can appreciate them until I know some trivia about why they're so important.

    There was an old house near where I used to live where George Washington hid out to make battle plans during the Revolutionary War, and for a long time I only new that it was an historic structure. Eventually I bothered to read the plaque in front of it while riding my bike, and once I learned that Washington himself used the house, I had a much fonder appreciation of it.

    Actually walking around with someone like that would make touring a lot more entertaining.
    Both your feedbacks mean a lot to me.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    8,578
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i would probably find wandering around looking at buildings where george washington hid out or inscriptions by caligula while listening to trivial factoids to be incredibly dull and pointless.

  15. #15
    Expat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    10,853
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17 View Post
    i would probably find wandering around looking at buildings where george washington hid out or inscriptions by caligula while listening to trivial factoids to be incredibly dull and pointless.
    Sure, that's not the kind of thing your dual would be likely to do.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    8,578
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    while in boston, on one of the days we all went as a group to some tourist walk around downtown boston -- including pitstops in some graveyard (i think paul revere and some other famous people were buried there) and in some kind of museums.

    rick used the opportunity to say how Ni these experiences were and how much they made him think of the past. i remember mysticsonic and i were wandering around aimlessly with the group, wondering what we were even doing there.



    ultimately after about an hour i started to ask around and found that no individual actually cared about continuing to walk around, but seemed to think that it was something that the group wanted to keep doing.

  17. #17
    Creepy-Cyclops

    Default

    I liked the capuccini..at least I believe thats how it's spelled. Was interesting to see the cistene chapel. What was your favourite part of rome?

  18. #18
    Creepy-Diana

    Default

    .

  19. #19
    liveandletlive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,290
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    regarding the expat tour haha- when i went to paris my dad's LIE friend showed us around and taught me more than a tour guide probably would as well as ordering for us in french and making our trip to a foreign country a little less foreign seeing as he's an expat himself haha. yeah i think LIEs would be the best tour guides. if expat's there sign me up!
    ESFp-Fi sub
    6w7 sx/so/sp

  20. #20

    Default

    I don't really plan for vacations beyond the really critical things, which are few. I can get packed quickly as well - it's easy since you don't really NEED anything except the holy trinity of traveling - Wallet, Passport and Phone.

    On the matter of guided tours - I hate them with burning passion. When I travel, I want to EXPLORE, not be spoon-fed information. I can read that in a book - when I'm actually there, I want to see things that are NOT in the books.

    All that said - I don't think I'm really fond of traveling. It's not a goal in itself for me. If I have to go somewhere, I'll make the most of it and have fun though.
    ILI, INTp

  21. #21
    Joy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    SEE-Se
    Posts
    24,501
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    The kind of comment I was prone to made was more like, "hey, over there that's the spot where Julius Caesar was murdered, very few people know it" and "you know, Gore Vidal used to live up there in that penthouse" or "there's an inscription from Caligula's time there on that obelisk, let's take a look?" etc etc etc. Some people find it unbearable.
    Yes, that sounds like me, except mine had less to do with ancient historical eras (I don't know much about Ft. Lauderdale ) and more to do with the buildings and other things we were seeing.
    SEE-Se, 852 sx/so

    Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

  22. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Posts
    11,586
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    Yes, that sounds like me, except mine had less to do with ancient historical eras (I don't know much about Ft. Lauderdale ) and more to do with the buildings and other things we were seeing.
    Yeah, I was going to say, Joy's comments are more related to architecture and landscape.

  23. #23
    Joy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    SEE-Se
    Posts
    24,501
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    And what people are doing and why they're doing it.
    SEE-Se, 852 sx/so

    Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

  24. #24
    force my hand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,334
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If I'm by myself, I sketch out a loose plan for the day, and end up following very little (or none) of it. I like the day being able to 'breathe'. I may do the one 'big thing' I have planned, and find unexpected things that spiral out from it.

    If I'm with others, I usually make no plans at all because I find everyone's got their own ideas of what to do and when to do it, and since it's 'new' to me, I'm more than happy enough to tag along. Unless, of course, it's something like we're at a ski resort and they want to spend the day shopping in a mall. Then I'll cut loose.
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

  25. #25
    Expat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    10,853
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I liked the capuccini..at least I believe thats how it's spelled. Was interesting to see the cistene chapel. What was your favourite part of rome?
    It depends on what you're doing and when.

    - just to enjoy some peace and quiet and relax: some benches under trees on the Capitoline Hill, close to the Tarpeian Rock
    - alternatively, at the top of Castel Sant'Angelo
    - to spend some time walking: either on the Palatine Hill, or down the Appian Way; or down the Via Giulia; or in the area near the Panteon
    - for budget dinner: a place called Il Domiziano, just off the Piazza Navona

    Some people like the Trastevere, and it's the area where the true Romans go at night -- but it's too noisy for me, usually, and "look I'm so fashionable" as Italians like to be.

    I know Rome very well, but I have no intention of going back there in the foreseeable future.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •