TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Enneagram 8 and Morality

How does E8 really deal with morality?
    Yes, the common idea of "8s rebel against morality because it seems like a way of other people controlling them" is there.

But then there are people like Dr MLK

So I am wondering what your thoughts are on E8 and morality. How does it really interplay: morality, and the 8s desire for unfiltered, raw truth. Do you think an 8 can be legitimately religious, and if so, on what terms?
    Last edited by UDP; 03-13-2008 at 03:52 PM. Reason: improved the second to last sentence
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that the point is that they will tend to have their own morality.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It depends of their rational element

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    I think that the point is that they will tend to have their own morality.
    Absolutely.

And what machintruc said also applies. An Eight with little rationality is a shite moralist, even from their own perspective. They have no discernible moral code, because they are entirely amoral. I often tell people that I am amoral. From a conventional point of view, this is true; I am amoral. But from my own point of view, I am almost certainly moral; that is, I abide by my own moral code strictly. I don't "fuck the law" as such, partly because I believe that it's important to abide by the law of your state in order to live within that state, and partly because I believe that my own state is entirely reasonable in most - if not all - of the laws it implements and exercises. But philosophically, I have my own principles, my own morality and my own way of life. I have broken laws. I break laws. I have no shame about this. But breaking one of my own laws would be an absolute bodyshock. I simply could not do it. And if I did, I'd probably go on a retreat or something and spend time reflecting on what I'd done to completely repair it. I'm totally true to myself.