Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 68

Thread: Wake Up Call

  1. #1
    I'm back, assholes! Herzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    TIM
    SLE
    Posts
    5,098
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

    Default Wake Up Call

    Who would've known that it's for you?*

    I've been thinking lately that many of the people here are using Socionics in a way that is quite detrimental. By this, I mean in several ways: 1) "Knowing" Socionics is making you apply characteristics to specific people that don't actually exist, 2) Over-generalizing, and treating those generalizations as if they're facts and are set in stone, 3) Assuming that a particular function in a specific position on Model A manifests itself the same way for everyone, 4) Using Socionics as an excuse as for why a part of your personality sucks, and 5) Being way to eager to type someone based on information that isn't (or is VERY loosely) related to Socionics. I'll go by each one step-by-step, and I'll use quotes by forum members to aid in my presentation. Not sorry in the slightest if you get mad that I used you as an example.


    1) Okay, so you're an average n00b who has recently gotten into Socionics. You've read up on Classical Socionics, including Model A, functions, intertype relations, etc. Boy, you are psyched! Everything seems to make perfect sense now! So in a thread about LSIs, you write the following:

    Quote Originally Posted by dee
    it really makes me pity them that they are so incapable of dealing with fast and spontaneous change, like they have to logicize everything and make sense of everything. also, they have to always go by their book and rules and their order in things is so sacred that they get upset if even a tiniest deviation is observed. they become irritated and press till you restore things back. they are always like as if thinking about something and are felt like really solid rocks.
    I have yet to see anything remotely this extreme in LSIs who exist IRL. In fact, I have never met anyone who has such an imbalanced personality as these "LSIs" supposedly have according to dee and others. If ANYONE actually acted in a manner similar to this, they would be rejected so hard by society that their rectum would be sore for the next decade.

    Okay, so someone with a base and a PoLR might THEORETICALLY behave similarly to this, according to some. But take a look around you. When you type someone IRL, you begin to make inferences about parts of their personality that you may have never directly experienced before. Even if you are an accurate typer, you still make educated guesses about how this person should further behave according to the theory, which may or may not actually uphold in reality. Think of it like simple algebra. If you have an equation with X and Y and you know the value of X, you can solve it for Y quite easily. This is basically what you're doing with Socionics. You know X traits of a person through observation (whether it's actually good observation, that's up for debate). Socionics gives you a framework that can help you infer what Y should be. However, the fatal mistake comes in when you begin to treat people like their entire entity can be figured out by a set of equations. People are weird, complex, irrational, and have many quirks; Socionics barely, if at all, takes this into account. Stop treating it as if it does.


    2) As many of you know, there are sixteen "granddaddy" categories that people fit into, according to Socionics. Each one has its fair share of generalizations and stereotypes that are attached to it. For example, ESIs are commonly pushed aside as being close minded, judgemental, cold hearted bitches. After seeing them stereotyped like that for so long, many people start to internalize such descriptions and treat them as if they're fact. Maybe you met someone IRL who is a cold hearted bitch. After the ESI stereotypes have been pounded into your brain for so long, you're probably going to be more inclined to type her as ESI, without examining other important characteristics. After meeting several cold hearted bitches and typing them as ESI, you'll begin to treat it as a fact that all ESIs are cold hearted bitches, and continue a vicious cycle. People of every type can be cold hearted bitches, so when you peg certain types as having exclusive and very specific traits, you're heading for trouble. Ask a LIE if ESIs they know fit the stereotype, and I challenge you to find one that will actually confirm that they do. In short, Socionics is extremely subjective and with many exceptions to the rules. By treating it as if it were fact, and saying stuff like "all people of X type act like this," you're totally screwing it up.

    Another thing that goes along with this is the tendency for people here to say things like "I hate Alphas! They're so impractical! This is why all Gammas hate Alphas!" or "I never get along with SLIs. They suck." If I were to make a wild guess, I'd say that you regulary interact with these types that you supposedly "hate", and don't actually hate all the individuals behind the type. For example, I could easily follow the stereotypes and say that I hate ESIs because they're my supervisors, but that simply isn't true at all. One of my best friends is ESI, and she coundn't be any more awesome than she is right now. According to the theory, I shouldn't get along with them, but that really doesn't hold up at all in real life. Crap interpretations of Socionics: -10.

    3) Okay, so I'm assuming that it's relatively common knowledge around here that I'm SLE. That means that I have a PoLR. Now, how does PoLR manifest itself in SLEs? You'll never get a single answer for that, because it has a different effect on each individual SLE. A while back (probably almost two years ago at this point), I created a thread that explained how I experienced PoLR at that particular point in time. Some of the points that I made there still apply, but some of them no longer affect me. For example, I wrote back then that I had a hard time maintaining a consistent standing between myself and other people, and that my feelings would go lukewarm after several days. However, at this point I have experienced some strong-as-a-fortress attachments to certain people, which is contrary to how people think PoLR should be like. Right now, my main "struggle" with my PoLR is that I tend to put my eggs into the wrong baskets when it comes to such relationships. Do all SLEs have that issue? Absolutely not! Others may experience it as being overly mistrustful of others when dealing with personal affairs, or as a stereotypical case, being crap at relationships as a whole. However, saying that all SLEs will be overly mistrustful is an absolute lie.

    Recently, there was a thread about (started by Ezra, I believe), and the subject of PoLR came up. Some people were saying that it manifests itself as LIIs not being able to understand when and to what intensity to use aggression. However, LII Mariano Rajoy gave his input on the subject, and said the following about his job as a bouncer:

    Quote Originally Posted by Mariano Rajoy View Post
    Imagining myself behaving as an Se PoLR is expected to would have unnacceptable consequences.

    Underestimation, hesitation, and complacency get people hurt. If I suck at my job, there are immediate, observable consequenses.
    Case in point. I'm not exactly sure how his PoLR manifests itself, but all I can say is that it's different than how my LII brother's works. Just as these two examples showed, not everyone of the same type's PoLR is going to work the same way, just as how their base functions won't work in quite the same manner, etc. By assuming that it all works the same, you'll be making error #1. See above.
    , Se-sub
    8w8-3w8-7w8 sx/sx

  2. #2
    I'm back, assholes! Herzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    TIM
    SLE
    Posts
    5,098
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

    Default

    Damn character limit. Post continues below:


    4) I'm hesitant to pick apart dee again like I did in point #1, so I'm going to try to avoid it (even though it's quite tempting). When you get all up in between Socionics' thighs, you begin to personalize many of the traits that belong to the type you've decided you are. I'm guilty of this, you're guilty of this, everyone's guilty of this. If you have a weakness in your personality, it's extremely tempting to blame it on your type. "Oh, but I'm a P! I am therefore entitled to procastinate, show up late everywhere, and click the 'Submit' button before I've read my post!" you might say. Shut the fuck up! Or you might assert, "I'm a big mighty type. Therefore, I am allowed to be be a huge prick, rain down on everyone's parade, and be no fun to talk to at all." Again, shut the fuck up! Or if you have a PoLR, you might complain, "But I have weak . I'm therefore automatically unhealthy, and don't need to excercise or shower or any of that boring crap." Well boo fucking hoo; I have zero pity for you either. In increasing amounts lately, I've seen people blaming their problems on their type. This needs to stop. In order to be a decent human being, it's important to take responsibility for yourself and to stop blaming your crap on other people or things. If you don't want to be a failure at life, you're going to need to pull your bags together and deal with things without blaming your faults on Socionics. Your future employer won't give a shit that you're a Socionics "irrational"; (s)he will however care that you can't manage to turn in anything by the deadline.


    5) I'm really sick of hearing things like, "Oh, he made a bad theory that doesn't fit my understanding of the world. Therefore, he is LII." or "No IEE would ever major in mathematics." or "You can't be LSE because you save things until the last minute," and things to this degree. As for a real life quote along these lines that made me cringe:

    Quote Originally Posted by Dioklecian View Post
    ISFjs like bad boys. This is true.
    (This also easily fits the category of point #2)

    It's all bullshit! "Huh?!?! " you say. I'm quite inclined to say that type has a pretty minimal influence on many personal attributes that seem to be associated with certain types and functions around here. A lot of characteristics are based on situational events, upbringing (nurture), or social influence, and shouldn't be considered when typing people. When you do associate such behaviors with Socionics you create the fundamental attribution error. That will ruin many of your typings. So before typing someone, think to yourself, "Is this behavior actually type related?" If you're unsure, it's probably best to find better information when trying to type said person.


    *If all this is common sense to you, great; if not, you need to reevaluate your understanding and application of Socionics. Granted, I'm certainly not saying that the theory is bullshit; not in the slightest. I have just been alarmed recently at the amount of dangerous assumptions that have been propegated in these forums recently.

    And lastly, I'd like to sum this all up with a quote by none other than the wonderous HarryBottom:



    Quote Originally Posted by HarryBottom
    (...) what I learned about Socionics wasn't set in stone, but was was mostly a whole lot of hypothesis and generalization. Some really damn acurate ones, might I add, but still... when you break it down to the core, like most sciences, that's what this is all composed of.
    And don't you forget it.
    , Se-sub
    8w8-3w8-7w8 sx/sx

  3. #3
    Creepy-bg

    Default

    so who did you bully into writing this for you? typical SLE move

  4. #4
    I'm back, assholes! Herzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    TIM
    SLE
    Posts
    5,098
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat View Post
    so who did you bully into writing this for you? typical SLE move
    See points 1 and 2.
    , Se-sub
    8w8-3w8-7w8 sx/sx

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    8,578
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i hope you wouldn't claim that all, or even most people do some of these things (though it obviously varies by individual).

  6. #6
    implied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    7,750
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat View Post
    so who did you bully into writing this for you? typical SLE move
    yeah, whose lunch money did you steal? (;
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,687
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Generally I liked this post, but I have a question about this section:

    Quote Originally Posted by Herzy View Post
    It's all bullshit! "Huh?!?! " you say. I'm quite inclined to say that type has a pretty minimal influence on many personal attributes that seem to be associated with certain types and functions around here. A lot of characteristics are based on situational events, upbringing (nurture), or social influence, and shouldn't be considered when typing people. When you do associate such behaviors with Socionics you create the fundamental attribution error. That will ruin many of your typings. So before typing someone, think to yourself, "Is this behavior actually type related?" If you're unsure, it's probably best to find better information when trying to type said person.
    How can you figure out which characteristics are due to situational events, upbringing, or social influence so you can separate them out when trying to type someone?

  8. #8
    I'm back, assholes! Herzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    TIM
    SLE
    Posts
    5,098
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17 View Post
    i hope you wouldn't claim that all, or even most people do some of these things (though it obviously varies by individual).
    Obviously not, but I've seen enough people do stuff like that for me to take note of it and take the time to write this whole thread about it.

    Really, I wouldn't have wasted my time on it if nobody here did any of that stuff.
    , Se-sub
    8w8-3w8-7w8 sx/sx

  9. #9
    I'm back, assholes! Herzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    TIM
    SLE
    Posts
    5,098
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hellothere View Post
    How can you figure out which characteristics are due to situational events, upbringing, or social influence so you can separate them out when trying to type someone?
    My take on this is that if a broad trait can be applied differently to numerous situations, it's best to avoid using it to type people.

    For example, take competitiveness. I'm competitive in beating out my classmates in Music Theory, when there are hot guys up for stake, and in Badminton. However, I'm not competitive at all while playing video games, playing many team sports, or when it comes to other academic pursuits. Therefore, it's not wise to call me because I'm very competitive in Badminton.


    I have other criteria, but my brain's shot after writing that long post. I'll get back to you on that sometime soon.
    , Se-sub
    8w8-3w8-7w8 sx/sx

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,687
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    alright cool, I understand what you're getting at

    but then are you assuming that we are born with a type?

  11. #11
    I'm back, assholes! Herzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    TIM
    SLE
    Posts
    5,098
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hellothere View Post
    alright cool, I understand what you're getting at

    but then are you assuming that we are born with a type?
    At this point I'm unsure, because it's been debated to death and I'm doubt anyone will reach a valid conclusion on this subject any time soon.
    , Se-sub
    8w8-3w8-7w8 sx/sx

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,687
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    then maybe characteristics due to upbringing (as distinct from situational influences) shouldn't be dismissed

  13. #13
    I'm back, assholes! Herzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    TIM
    SLE
    Posts
    5,098
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hellothere View Post
    then maybe characteristics due to upbringing (as distinct from situational influences) shouldn't be dismissed
    To some extent I see what you're saying, but what I meant was more along the lines of "if a mom beats her child constantly and he clams up for the rest of his life, that doesn't mean that he's a Socionics introvert." Sorry I didn't make that clear.
    , Se-sub
    8w8-3w8-7w8 sx/sx

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,687
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Herzy View Post
    To some extent I see what you're saying, but what I meant was more along the lines of "if a mom beats her child constantly and he clams up for the rest of his life, that doesn't mean that he's a Socionics introvert." Sorry I didn't make that clear.
    yep fair enough

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    8,578
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Herzy View Post
    Really, I wouldn't have wasted my time on it if nobody here did any of that stuff.
    i think you're wasting your time in trying to tell people about it regardless. honestly, is dee going to listen to anything you have to say?

  16. #16
    from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Posts
    3,401
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Bravo, Herzy. UDP - this sums up what I wanted to say to you when you asked me just what I thought was wrong with your "Dinner with IEI" thread.

    Dee is a real person, and that is what terrifies me. He also lives very close to me, apparently. I remember we were actually about to set up a Socionics meet type thing near Toronto or Mississauga ... I wonder what would happen if we actually did meet. I could inform you all if he is as crazy as he comes off here.

    Is that even possible? With people like Dio and stuff, I really have to wonder just what they are as REAL life people ... *shudders*


    Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

  17. #17
    Let's go to fairyland Minde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Amongst the stars
    TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Posts
    4,078
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17 View Post
    i think you're wasting your time in trying to tell people about it regardless. honestly, is dee going to listen to anything you have to say?
    Dee might not, but people who might listen to and get confused by dee and others like him can benefit from this.


    Good job, Herzy! If I think of more specific comments I'll be sure to post them, but for now it looks good! (It's good writing, too - I like the numbered points...)
    INFj / EII / FiNe
    ()


    "Fairy Tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." - G.K. Chesterton

    "Have courage and be kind." - Cinderella's mom

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    8,578
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Minde View Post
    Dee might not, but people who might listen to and get confused by dee and others like him can benefit from this.
    well, isn't it rather obvious that some people do shit like this?

  19. #19
    Creepy-bg

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carla View Post
    She broke my glasses too.
    /me gives Carla half my sandwich and a juicebox. :wink:


  20. #20
    Let's go to fairyland Minde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Amongst the stars
    TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Posts
    4,078
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17 View Post
    well, isn't it rather obvious that some people do shit like this?
    It's probably not obvious to people who are new to the theory or this forum. Sometimes, it's not even obvious to people who have been here awhile. And, sometimes, people just forget.

    I'm sure you already know this, but not everyone is as smart or intelligent as you, niffweed.
    INFj / EII / FiNe
    ()


    "Fairy Tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." - G.K. Chesterton

    "Have courage and be kind." - Cinderella's mom

  21. #21

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    8,578
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    Of course. But Herzy has to get out her frustration somehow, doesn't she? What better way to do it than completely pwn3ning and telling people where it's at?
    well i don't even think she did a very good job of that.

  22. #22

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,101
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Dee is a good example for this thread but there are more than just him who will go into a thread and pretty much make their case about something and not even listen to others views or opinions. This makes it almost seem like they have to be correct (to a Noob in socionics or someone similar) in what they are saying and that nobody will ever change whatever views those are. Not constructively that is... It pretty much takes 10 people saying: "you are totally wrong" for some people to even think that what they're saying may actually not be correct. Even then, they'll blame it on the "stupid masses" that make up the rest of this forum outside of their little bubble. This is just sad really.

  23. #23
    Creepy-bg

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Dee is a good example for this thread but there are more than just him who will go into a thread and pretty much make their case about something and not even listen to others views or opinions. This makes it almost seem like they have to be correct (to a Noob in socionics or someone similar) in what they are saying and that nobody will ever change whatever views those are. Not constructively that is... It pretty much takes 10 people saying: "you are totally wrong" for some people to even think that what they're saying may actually not be correct. Even then, they'll blame it on the "stupid masses" that make up the rest of this forum outside of their little bubble. This is just sad really.
    u want a juice box?

  24. #24
    xyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    7,709
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    ....you guys need to step outside and get some fresh air and um, hang out with some people
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

    - Voltaire

  25. #25

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,101
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LokiVanguard View Post
    ....you guys need to step outside and get some fresh air and um, hang out with some people
    I've been around people all day at work... I'm trying not to go out and get drunk tonight... don't screw that up by making me think I have no life...lol.
    *shoots self in head*

  26. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    TIM
    TiNe
    Posts
    7,967
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by glamourama View Post
    s00p3rv1z3d!!
    You should copyright that for a t-shirt.

  27. #27

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,101
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    Cracka, no. That's not an option. You're not allowed to kill yourself. We'd miss you too much.
    Offing myself is never gonna happen... but thanks. You're all just gonna be stuck with me.

  28. #28
    xyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    7,709
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Go out and get drunk goddamit
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

    - Voltaire

  29. #29
    Let's fly now Gilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Posts
    24,757
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I'm tempted to say that this is mostly kindof over-obvious, and pretty pointless to point out to most of the people who actually make these mistakes, but thanks for at least putting it all in one place
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

    Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

  30. #30
    I'm back, assholes! Herzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    TIM
    SLE
    Posts
    5,098
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17 View Post
    well, isn't it rather obvious that some people do shit like this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    I'm tempted to say that this is mostly kindof over-obvious, and pretty pointless to point out to most of the people who actually make these mistakes, but thanks for at least putting it all in one place
    Did either of you even bother to read the disclaimer?

    *If all this is common sense to you, great;
    If you considered all this common sense, then I really wasn't talking to you anways.
    , Se-sub
    8w8-3w8-7w8 sx/sx

  31. #31
    Blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,725
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat View Post
    so who did you bully into writing this for you? typical SLE move
    still,

    LOL

    d00d.

    ILE

    those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

  32. #32
    Twist-Tie Spider iAnnAu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Knoxhell TN
    Posts
    987
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I enjoyed reading this a lot, Herzy.
    Just made a much shorter comment along these lines in some other thread, and now I feel like "D'oh! It just got said- and better!"
    Not a bad thing, at all ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bukowski
    We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.
    SLI

  33. #33
    aka-kitsune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    966
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17 View Post
    well i don't even think she did a very good job of that.
    You just sound bitter b/c you didn't think of it first.

    Doesn't matter that it's obvious--it's still always the elephant in the room that stomps around and is rarely addressed directly. I might be still considered a n00b @ Socionics and generally lurking on the periphery of this forum, but even I can see that anyone who assumes they're not capable of this at some point in time is a blasted hypocrite.

    Even you who believe yourselves Socionics scholars fall into this trap and make incorrect assumptions once in a while.
    socio: INFp - IEI
    ennea: 4w5 sp/sx

    **********

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
    Only kings, presidents, editors, and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial 'we'.

  34. #34

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    8,578
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aka-kitsune View Post
    You just sound bitter b/c you didn't think of it first.
    lol i've been saying that certain people are braindead idiots on this forum for two years now.

    not that herzy hasn't periodically done that as well, but take a step back and think about that comparison.

  35. #35
    jessica129's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,122
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ScarlettLux View Post

    Dee is a real person, and that is what terrifies me. He also lives very close to me, apparently. I remember we were actually about to set up a Socionics meet type thing near Toronto or Mississauga ... I wonder what would happen if we actually did meet. I could inform you all if he is as crazy as he comes off here.

    Is that even possible? With people like Dio and stuff, I really have to wonder just what they are as REAL life people ... *shudders*
    lol

    I don't have much to add to this thread other than I agree 100% with everything Herzy has said. It's everything I've been thinking for awhile now. I don't come here to read up on socionics anymore...frankly I find it pointless. I only come here because I enjoy the forum. More people need to read this thread and take it to heart.

  36. #36
    Blaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,725
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    herzy makes some very good points about the tendency to get sucked into a socionics vortex which limits one's thinking....esp early on in understanding this theory.

    we are organisms that exist in an environment and that grow and change over time. trying to say that socionics explains everything simply isn't logical since it would fail to take into consideration the facts and details of a person's life and experiences.

    like you could have an LSI who had to endure a Nazi concentration camp and one that lived free and clear in the USA. these different situations and the experiences that would accompany them are going to have a profound impact on the person.

    my personal pet peeve about socionics is that it does not do a very good job of explaining how people change, grow, develop and balance themselves as they get older.

    to me, socionics is kind of like a skeleton of personality....it can kind of inform the shape or structure of a person, but without the skin, muscles, blood, brain, and a changing environment to place the person in, it's less than half the overall picture.

    ILE

    those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

  37. #37
    The Iniquitous inumbra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    TIM
    954
    Posts
    5,989
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think that I make all of these mistakes (not always certain of the frequency or degree), but I’m aware of them and my aim is to reduce them over time. I allow myself to make them, because I perceive it as necessary to learning.

    I think that in a way they all may reflect a single underlying problem.

    Consider this lovely image:



    Say that the ball in the center is like the essence of an IM element in a particular function, e.g. PoLR. The spikes represent all of the different ways that PoLR can manifest itself in individuals (just assume the number of ways is finite for the sake of the example). What I think “we’re” often trying to do (or at least I often am) is get at the central ball—the essence so as to better see what is of it and what is not... AND how it relates to people and things in real life and how it does not. In some ways this is an impossible task because no IM element stands alone, but in other ways I think it can be helpful.

    So as we go from an understanding of PoLR (in general... imagine a flat plane with 3d spikes emerging from it... the flat plane being the "in general" thing that connects all the spikes... couldn't find an image) to trying to apply it to individuals, we might say something like, “well in general PoLR types aren’t as good at managing confrontations as, say, ego types.” Then Mariano Rajoy comes along and says, “hey my job involves managing confrontation and I do a great job of it.” This can then appear to contradict the “in essence”/“in general” understanding of PoLR. (i.e. the translation of the essence of PoLR into words didn't work so well, OR the understanding of the essence of PoLR itself is somewhat off)

    But if we had approached it from the other direction… Say that one of the spikes represents how PoLR manifests itself specifically in Mariano Rajoy. Then we might be able to make note of that and see that it does flow back into the essence of PoLR (or stems from it), while at the same time noticing that in this case PoLR doesn’t manifest itself in not knowing how to effectively manage confrontations. If approached from this direction, we’re less likely to try to generalize everyone into a single group, and can more easily see this:

    Quote Originally Posted by Herzy
    Now, how does PoLR manifest itself in SLEs? You'll never get a single answer for that, because it has a different effect on each individual SLE.
    Of course then you can still do things like notice a particular behavior in someone and say, “I wonder if that stems from their Xy PoLR,” when really it’s just an individual quirk that has little or nothing to do with information metabolism. In that case, it might help to look at it from the central ball again... noticing perhaps that in essence it doesn't quite connect up.

    Reality is of course the outside helpful thing that can confirm or deny particular patterns of abstract thought... both in the form of individual actions and intertype relations. And "reality" is the thing that I need to pay more attention to perhaps.

    (By the way, I’m not trying to imply that the PoLR represents a crippling disability.)

    I sort of see mistakes as necessary to fine tune one’s perception of these sorts of things. And actually having these things listed out neatly (as Herzy has done) is nice and easy to read.

    Anyway, I think there are a few problems logically with what I just said... but it's a work in progress, as always.

  38. #38
    aka-kitsune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    966
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17 View Post
    lol i've been saying that certain people are braindead idiots on this forum for two years now.

    not that herzy hasn't periodically done that as well, but take a step back and think about that comparison.
    Yes, but your criticism always has a certain personal quality of correcting what you see as errors in understanding socionics. And you also have somewhat of a zero tolerance policy for differing opinions, IMO ("I will not debate this with you because you are an idiot"). Herzy is instead pointing out that the overall application of socionics "typology" can be fundamentally flawed by forgetting that people are people, different, not a type, and prone to act unpredictably at times.

    Not convenient for those who like their behavior predictable, have clear unshakable standards for any personality type and relegate people to a convenient box from which they are not allowed to stray beyond.

    We can all readily see that certain people are idiots. But everyone falls prey to the tendency to try to boil things down to lowest common denominator in a stab at taking a short cut to understanding.
    socio: INFp - IEI
    ennea: 4w5 sp/sx

    **********

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
    Only kings, presidents, editors, and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial 'we'.

  39. #39
    Logos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    5,406
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Herzy, right now I wuv you. This has been a problem of mine for awhile now, since it seems that a number of individuals are blaming/projecting their dislikes and hates of individuals onto types and functions. "They rubbed my sense of Ti the wrong way." or "How could those LSIs and LIIs possibly be like that!" People are forgetting that Socionics is supposed to be about being aware of and productively improving relations and not as a means of creating more differences with which we can try and objectify others.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

  40. #40
    ...been here longer than the fucking monarchy Ezra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    UK
    TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Posts
    9,169
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Herzy, what always surprises me about you is the way you can rapidly morph out of Se-orientated mode into Ti. Good skill to have.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •