Thread: Working Under Pressure

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Working Under Pressure

I know there are different ways this can be interpreted, but I'm thinking most specifically about deadlines. For example, when I have a paper due, I can't really get myself to do the paper if I know I still have other things I could be doing and still complete the paper on time. How could being pressured by a set deadline and needing that in order to see the urgency of something be related to functions?
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last minute. Every time, no matter what.

We called it epic fail.
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

- Voltaire

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perceiving functions, of course. They do not see the need for doing something until literally it needs to be done. Even more apparent in Se.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My slacker buddies and teachers.

- Voltaire

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

See, I do worse when I try to prepare. Not sure how/why that works. My creative juices just never get going until I HAVE to have them.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When it came to schoolwork, I always started the semester off fairly strong and then progressed down to where I was limping towards the end of the semester -- as far as getting work done before it needed to get done (which resulted in doing enough to get by, and doing ok, but not excelling).

The longer I was in college the shorter that initial burst of energy was, and I felt like I was struggling with my work ethic for longer periods of time.

In my opinion, this was more about often not feeling like I was in the right frame of mind to get a lot of work done. I didn't want to start working on something unless I was sure that I could put a good amount of work into it. Most of the time, that entailed waiting until it was necessary to do it.

The timeframe never escaped me, I was definitely aware of deadlines and when certain things were expected. So, I was always able to finish things on time, but it was always really close.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    I know there are different ways this can be interpreted, but I'm thinking most specifically about deadlines. For example, when I have a paper due, I can't really get myself to do the paper if I know I still have other things I could be doing and still complete the paper on time. How could being pressured by a set deadline and needing that in order to see the urgency of something be related to functions?
    I'm the same way. It's frequently painstaking to write papers cause I find them so unnecessary. I would much rather have an informal discussion on the topic than have to write something out formally that has to adhere to certain guidelines. I especially hate ones that have to be about something I read where I have to keep referencing different parts of the reading.

But yeah there will be a day I will decide, "I must get this paper done today", and maybe a few sentences end up getting written most of the day, while the bulk of the paper ends up getting written late at night, within a fairly short period of time interestingly enough. I think my creative juices (for things I do not enjoy) really only get working with my back pressed up against the wall.

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    But yeah there will be a day I will decide, "I must get this paper done today", and maybe a few sentences end up getting written most of the day, while the bulk of the paper ends up getting written late at night, within a fairly short period of time interestingly enough. I think my creative juices (for things I do not enjoy) really only get working with my back pressed up against the wall.
    Yes. This.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like me.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some of it may be type related, but I think a lot of it is just natural. It's an extension of - what is it? the second law of thermodynamics? - where things will slow down and decay unless prompted into motion again by some force or energy. I mean, if you look at it from a, hm, detached(?) perspective, why put out lots of energy when it isn't required? When in those situations, our minds may be telling us that it's important to get the assignment done, but everything else is saying, "hey, no worries, take your time, no rush, to threat, it's ok..." It's when the emergency of the situation starts impressing itself that the rest of you starts agreeing with your mind.

Anyway, my sister and I were just talking about this the other day, how over the course of our college careers we've become more and more lax about deadlines, saving more things for the last minute. Some of it has to do with becoming familiar with the system, learning how to make the people who grade us happy. For me, it's kind of like what Tereg said.
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Perceiving functions, of course. They do not see the need for doing something until literally it needs to be done. Even more apparent in Se.
    In which case, I should have in my ego, but I don't. So is it something else? You call it perceiving functions, I call it Student Syndrome.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mmmm, thermo...

Gw = H - TdS

Where:
    Gw: Free energy to do some work
    H: Internal give-a-shit value
    T: Time wasted
    S: Chaos around me
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    See, I do worse when I try to prepare. Not sure how/why that works. My creative juices just never get going until I HAVE to have them.
    Yep im exactly the same. Like i guilt trip the shit out of myself weeks in advance, as like Tereg said im always acutely aware of when somethings due. I sometimes start writing the introduction heaps in advance and its the blandest most average thing. The closer i get to submission the more my brain seems to turn on.

Im still not comfortable with doing an assignment the night before though. Im normally working on it the night before but the brunt of its mostly done. I think to myself if something really wrong happens leaving it too late im screwed.
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    In which case, I should have in my ego, but I don't. So is it something else? You call it perceiving functions, I call it Student Syndrome.
    I got that SS.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by meatburger View Post
    Im still not comfortable with doing an assignment the night before though. Im normally working on it the night before but the brunt of its mostly done. I think to myself if something really wrong happens leaving it too late im screwed.
    that's what I'm like

Creepy-bg

I usually wait for the last moment... to blow it off.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The three nonconsecutive semesters I spent in college, I kicked the ass out of all my assignments as early as possible. Aced everything.
    ... And hated every minute. Institutionalized learning can kiss my ass.
    When left to my own devices, I have a much more enjoyable time learning. I go at my own pace, delve into aspects of a topic as they catch my interest, and devise my own checks to see if what I'm absorbing has a decent correlation to reality.
    There have of course been times in the workplace where I have to wait to the last minute to do something even though I know the deadline - usually because I have to wait on other people to do their part before I can do mine. And I freely admit that there is a feeling of need-created inspiration - I remember usually feeling a heightened sense of accomplishment when whatever it is gets off my desk at the very last second. But I hate having shit hanging over my head, and usually I can be fairly efficient at knocking it out ... so then I can go goof off without having to remind myself to get back to work at some point ...
    I've even worked myself out of a few jobs in the case of being hired for a temp assignment and finishing the project much sooner than they expected. It doesn't work for me to slow myself down - I just get bored and *that's* when I start making mistakes! Argh!
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bukowski
    We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.
    SLI

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only thing I ever prepare in advance are my finances. Other than that, everything takes a backseat and get's put off. I don't see the need to finish things ahead of time. It's almost a sick game I play with myself...see how long I can put something off until it's absolutely necessary to get it done. This method has really taken a toll on my education and pretty much my life in general.

School was the worst for me. I couldn't put forth the energy to learn anything I didn't find interesting....I put off studying all the time...usually just decided to wing it and if i failed, i failed. The only time i bothered studying the SAT's was the morning of the SAT. Oh well.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iAnnAu View Post
    The three nonconsecutive semesters I spent in college, I kicked the ass out of all my assignments as early as possible. Aced everything.
    ... And hated every minute. Institutionalized learning can kiss my ass.
    When left to my own devices, I have a much more enjoyable time learning. I go at my own pace, delve into aspects of a topic as they catch my interest, and devise my own checks to see if what I'm absorbing has a decent correlation to reality.
    There have of course been times in the workplace where I have to wait to the last minute to do something even though I know the deadline - usually because I have to wait on other people to do their part before I can do mine. And I freely admit that there is a feeling of need-created inspiration - I remember usually feeling a heightened sense of accomplishment when whatever it is gets off my desk at the very last second. But I hate having shit hanging over my head, and usually I can be fairly efficient at knocking it out ... so then I can go goof off without having to remind myself to get back to work at some point ...
    I've even worked myself out of a few jobs in the case of being hired for a temp assignment and finishing the project much sooner than they expected. It doesn't work for me to slow myself down - I just get bored and *that's* when I start making mistakes! Argh!
    If I knew this beforehand I wouldn't have felt so bad for putting shit off so much in college

- Voltaire