...been here longer than the fucking monarchy Ezra's Avatar
    TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Godfather

Vito Corleone When I first saw The Godfather, I thought perhaps LSI, but SEE is especially prominent if you see Part II with Vito as a younger man. He knows exactly how to conquer the hearts and minds of individuals using his aptitude in Fi (doing people 'favours' when they do him one) coupled with penchant for expansiveness Se. A brilliant problem-solver, using people's feelings as a solution; he knows how to appeal to the masses. Clearly Fe-able, but I think he has Se ego, and prefers Fi (consider his feelings about the Five families in Part I after Sonny's death ("This war ends now").

Michael Corleone Despite his being one of the two protagonists in both Part I and Part II I actually find him quite difficult to type. I'd like to say LSI (IJ temperament and strong Se seem quite evident), but I get the impression that he couldn't care less for Fe (consider especially his introduction at the beginning of the first film at his sister's wedding. He doesn't get involved, he just sits there). Perhaps, just perhaps, a Fe PoLR type would be likely. Maybe ILI. This could be a longshot though. There is the poor relationship with Kay, which seems to suggest a pure lack and devaluing of Fi.

Sonny SLE is pretty evident. He has a clear interest in dominating his environment, and is focused on the here and now protection of his family. Expansive and willful; he's completely upfront. A Se subtype for sure.

Tom Hagen Seems to operate well with Michael; only occasionally do they argue or have a problem. Perhaps activation partners. He could be an ESI if Michael is an ILI, or an IEI if Michael is an LSI. I see a lack of Se, but no problems with it; he could easily value it.

Fredo Essentially quite passive, but very dependent. SEI could be a possibility, although he could value Se (he seems particularly inept in it). Wants to be respected and seen as someone powerful, but clearly lacks this image. Perhaps IEI would be more likely taking into consideration his possible Se valuing nature.

Kay Doesn't care for the Mafia's strict Ti rules; probably an EII. Michael has scant regard for her feelings, and she reacts badly to this. Loyal, despite the many occurrences, but walked all over. Perhaps ESI.

Connie More minor than the other characters. ESE is a possibility.

Hyman Roth Maybe an LIE. Very business-minded; seems not concerned with a Fe atmosphere.

Add your own interpretations and/or other character typings.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd have to watch the movies again, but from what I can remember, Vito seems ENFp in Part 1 and ESFp in Part 2, probably because of the different actors.

I'm pretty sure Michael is ISTj.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clemenza (the jolly fat / awesome guy) SEI through and through.

Luca Brasi SLI and Fi seeking for having a deep personal-level need to feel loyal as well as demonstrate the strength of his bond to Don Corelone. Seems completely indifferent to Fe signals, like how his appearance, broken accent and mannerisms would affect others' perception of him (Vito Coreleone sort of grimaces, but understands). Gentle giant in spite of looking intimidating (except for being a murderer).

Tessio LSI is my hunch. Possibly another introverted and logical type.

Tom Hagen LII. Mostly comfortable performing the intellectual duties (lawyer stuff) for the family, practically works as an analyst, clarifying possibilities and presenting solutions. Not shown to care much about money, power, personal rank or internal politics (except in so far as it fell under his work or obligations) -- bit of a pushover when it comes to all that. Generally bright, reserved, accommodating, stoic, with an appearance of self-control.

Don Barzini Se EJ. Either one, since we're shown so little about him, but I'd go with EIE since he seems like he'd turn out to be a surface-level narcissist who'd be worried about his status, looking suave and competing with others about minutiae related to his image.

Michael Corleone NT. Perhaps ILI.

Kay Agree with Delta NF.

Fredo Definitely Fe ego.
    You can do anything with a bayonet except sit on it.

TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree wholeheartedly with Ezra on SEE typing for Vito Corleone. It is to be expected that the character is not all that consistent being a fictitious one... but it's obvious that Vito wants to sheed some Fi in a Ti underworld.

Michael Corleone is definitely LSI. He's an almost carbon copy of another character, "Damien", portrayed in the movie "Wind That Shakes The Barley". The pattern for both characters is the same: both are promising young buys that happen to engage in violence and rebellion and never get out. Betas flourish in turbulent environments...
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LSI or ESI for Vito. Michael is clearly Beta, perhaps IEI.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...