Thread: There Will Be Blood

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default There Will Be Blood

Daniel Plainview I think Daniel is a perfect representation of an LIE as well as of anunhealthy self-preservationist Three. His mind and speech is layered with productive, effective action, and, using his Ni ('these people don't know the processes of how to get oil; hence, I will use my skills to get it for them'), sells himself in order to gain more oil, money, power and success.

H.W. Plainview He I found hardest to type, not least because he barely spoke. He might have been an SLI, but I really don't know.

Fletcher Hamilton Possibly an LSI; Plainview's semi-dual. He seems to sit on the sidelines, and aids Plainview is his endeavours to gain more oil. Much in the way an EIE king or queen and an LSI advisor might operate, Hamilton is essentially a faithful subordinate.

Eli Sunday As corrupt as Plainview, I see EIE as most likely. He serves only his own agenda, and uses Fe to a T in his church services. He seems to understand Plainview's way of success, something which I think would be evident in business partners. The passive and essentially weak Abel, Eli's father, is practically powerless against Eli, but his part is quite minor, so I won't bother typing him.

Henry Brands The guy who manages to fool Plainview into thinking that he's his half-brother, Brands is another one who's a bit of a mystery to me. I think it's most likely that he's proficient in but not valuing of Se; perhaps SEI.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

saw this movie recently! I agree with Plainview being LIE! Like when those oil tycoons or whatever they were were offering to buy him out and he was like "And then what am I supposed to do with my life?" total Si-PoLR, lack of confidence in knowing how to relax
    INFp-Ni

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to see this movie so badly. Daniel Day Lewis is one of the most talented and evocative actors ever to walk this earth.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by misutii View Post
    saw this movie recently! I agree with Plainview being LIE! Like when those oil tycoons or whatever they were were offering to buy him out and he was like "And then what am I supposed to do with my life?" total Si-PoLR, lack of confidence in knowing how to relax
    That was one thing that particularly struck me as close to the LIE's point of view. Essentially, their life is about making money, and if they're not making money, they're not happy. It's as if they're in fear of becoming an SEI, who lounges around for the rest of their days basking in the wonderful nature of their environment. If Plainview was anything like an SEI, he would've stopped drilling for oil long ago and settled down with his lovely sum of money. He simply doesn't care about money though; he just wants to work. He clearly values Te, and has total disregard for Si. Although quite trivial, notice how he sleeps on the floor all the time, with no duvet or blanket and no roll mat or mattress. Not even a pillow. Complete lack of Si, almost a caricature of Si PoLR.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    I want to see this movie so badly. Daniel Day Lewis is one of the most talented and evocative actors ever to walk this earth.
    Go and see it as soon as possible. It is a modern classic.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default There Will Be Blood

Daniel - LSI to the core
    Imposter brother - IEI
    Son - SEE maybe?
    Eli - EIE
    Mr. Bandy - SEI

Under cerulean skies...

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Daniel was LIE.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...Seriously? I mean, I may be biased by the fact that Daniel Day Lewis is pretty clearly LSI, but I thought he seemed pretty blatantly Beta. Fi role shows in his oscillating attitudes towards his son: he alternately becomes very devoted to him, and blatantly rejecting of him. I can't see an LIE in his shoes in that scene where he's sitting at the desk denouncing him.

Under cerulean skies...

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    ...Seriously? I mean, I may be biased by the fact that Daniel Day Lewis is pretty clearly LSI, but I thought he seemed pretty blatantly Beta. Fi role shows in his oscillating attitudes towards his son: he alternately becomes very devoted to him, and blatantly rejecting of him. I can't see an LIE in his shoes in that scene where he's sitting at the desk denouncing him.
    Meh, I don't really want to go into a long analysis of his personality, but he just seemed to be going at everything from a Te/Ni entrepreneurial perspective while sort of grasping at Fi. When his "brother" came to visit, he reacted to that whole situation in a way that I think is common for LIEs who feel betrayed. Like, he thought he finally formed a close relationship with someone, then he learned the truth and couldn't contain his fury.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think he "grasped" at Fi at all, he denounces it at every turn: sends away his son because he can't manage his "weakness," kills the guy who had ACTUALLY become his closest friend (albeit under the guise of being his brother), even kills the preacher with whom he had some sort of implicit sociopathic mutual understanding of self-interested principles. Can you see an LIE killing someone they've known for years, just because they thought the person was self-deluding scum? The preacher never did anything to him, never betrayed his trust; Daniel just thought he was pathetic. Also the whole fixation with "telling me how to run my family" sounds a hell of a lot more like vulnerable Fi, especially considering that he took it totally out of context.

Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post
    Meh, I don't really want to go into a long analysis of his personality, but he just seemed to be going at everything from a Te/Ni entrepreneurial perspective while sort of grasping at Fi. When his "brother" came to visit, he reacted to that whole situation in a way that I think is common for LIEs who feel betrayed. Like, he thought he finally formed a close relationship with someone, then he learned the truth and couldn't contain his fury.
    I typed him as LIE as well. I think it might be tempting for many people to confuse him with with an introvert because he didn't verbally interact with others much, but he was constantly interacting with the environment around him, adapting it with a pre-planned vision in mind.

I never thought of the betrayal thing like that before but it's a good observation and makes a lot of sense.
    INFp-Ni