Thread: Mario Lemieux

Creepy-ifmd95

Default _

_
    Last edited by ifmd95; 04-08-2011 at 09:10 AM.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ISTj?
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By VI alone, LSI or LSE, leaning the latter.

• Only player in NHL history to score a goal in each of the five different ways possible in one game (even-strength, power-play, shorthanded, penalty shot, and empty-net) (December 31, 1988 against the New Jersey Devils)

Holy fucking shit.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isfj or Intj
    Last edited by Dioklecian; 03-06-2008 at 05:39 AM.
    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why static? Hockey is all about the Si.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dee View Post
    i think it's also a lot about Se and Te.
    Okay. Sure. But I think the Si element is totally obvious and undeniable; Se and Te, not so much.

if the question was @ me, static just specifies where the static functions in the model are and i just felt the guy is static ST>dynamic ST. i think ST feels like his club.
    You didn't answer my question at all. I am wondering for what REASON you think he is static>dynamic.

I agree that he looks ST but to me his feel and style of play, despite his size, are more Si: he's about teamwork, fluid play, elegance, technical skills, putting the puck in the right place at the right time, and so forth. Compare that to what I think is a more Se style of play in Jaromir Jagr or Eric Lindros: focused on maximum utilization of individual skills, speed, shooting accuracy, scoring ability, etc. Gretzky and Lemieux were great because they made intelligent decisions in real time on the ice and made whatever was the best possible play at the moment; Jagr and Lindros focus more on using their size and speed to arrange themselves well and create more scoring opportunities using their individual skills, not necessarily just so THEY can score (although they tend to do so more by comparison just because of their superior size and shooting skills), but to manipulate the flow of the game as opposed to making optimal use of the opportunities that are presented. Lemieux and Gretzky scored because they were good at being in the right place at the right time and doing the right thing for being in that position; Jagr and Lindros score because they are powerhouses and good shooters and have a knack for CREATING a situation in which they can score by using their superior speed and size.

Notice that Lemieux and Gretzky have higher assist-to-goal ratios than the other two: this is because they were more focused on, say, "drawing" a goal out of a situation based on the flow of the game, and were good at giving the puck to whoever was already in position, rather than disrupting it and creating an opportunity by getting the puck or getting in position themselves. Their skills were more about observing and maximizing the situation, rather than disrupting it and creating opportunities. This is where I see Si.

EDIT: I should correct my tense, but that would be a bit tedious; Lindros is retired.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that's some great knowledge of players you got

you seem to know better, so i can only shut up.
    Heh, actually I wouldn't say that I know a whole lot about them, relative to real hockey enthusiasts, beyond watching them play a bit, SportsCenter highlights, and their respective Wikipedia entries (although these were really only used as confirmation). Mostly what you are probably seeing as knowledge is me being verbose and rewording things to make them more clear and effective; this is why you have Dual Seeking

Under cerulean skies...