Thread: Schizoid Personality Disorder

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Schizoid Personality Disorder

I was reading some articles about Schizoid Personality Disorder and I was amazed to what extent I actually relate to some of the descriptions. My question to you is: Where is the line between Introversion (+ Fe PoLR) and SPD?
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Creepy-Diana

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Winterpark View Post
    My question to you is: Where is the line between Introversion (+ Fe PoLR) and SPD?
    We don't know yet. Maybe there is no clear line. SPD is most likely a form of Asperger -- and is not caused by events in childhood as the psychoanalytic object-relation theorists believe. There seems to be a very strong correlation between SPD and the ILI type (clearly stronger than for any other type, including the SLI).

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    I don't think it's a disorder. You read the traits, and they apply to a lot of introverts. Of course some people think introversion is a disorder that needs to be fixed as well. . .
    Yeah, good point. If you start discovering and reading about all these "disorders" you easily come to a conclusion that practically everyone has one (or more). Which is kind of a paradox.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, good point. If you start discovering and reading about all these "disorders" you easily come to a conclusion that practically everyone has one (or more). Which is kind of a paradox.
    15% of all the people in the world have one or more personality disorders. That is a fact.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    We don't know yet. Maybe there is no clear line. SPD is most likely a form of Asperger -- and is not caused by events in childhood as the psychoanalytic object-relation theorists believe. There seems to be a very strong correlation between SPD and the ILI type (clearly stronger than for any other type, including the SLI).
    I didn't know that SPD is most likely a form of asperger. Most sites claim it is often confused with asperger, so I concluded that it are two separate things...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    I didn't know that SPD is most likely a form of asperger. Most sites claim it is often confused with asperger, so I concluded that it are two separate things...
    It is not a proven fact, but is seems very likely, and I am not the only person who thinks so. SPD is described and explained from a psychoanalytic perspective; Asperger is described and explained from a psychiatric perspective. But they are probably looking at the same empirical phenomenon in most cases.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is not a proven fact, but is seems very likely, and I am not the only person who thinks so. SPD is described and explained from a psychoanalytic perspective; Asperger is described and explained from a psychiatric perspective. But they are probably looking at the same empirical phenomenon in most cases.
    Ah Yes. There are certainly a lot of similarities. I'm currently reading a book about sps, so therefor my interests.

To answer the topic, INTP and somewhat INTJ types are most probable for sps. The criteria in DSMIV are somewhat different then those from the older book (if forgot the name) in which is stated that daydreaming is an important criteria, which is not a typical ISTP thing.

Phaedrus is still full of shit, and clueless as ever on this topic. The diagnostic criteria of schizoid is that you don't have Asperger's.

F60.1 Schizoid Personality Disorder
    Personality disorder characterized by at least 3 of the following:

(a) few, if any, activities, provide pleasure;
    (b) emotional coldness, detachment or flattened affectivity;
    (c) limited capacity to express either warm, tender feelings or anger towards others;
    (d) apparent indifference to either praise or criticism;
    (e) little interest in having sexual experiences with another person (taking into account age);
    (f) almost invariable preference for solitary activities;
    (g) excessive preoccupation with fantasy and introspection;
    (h) lack of close friends or confiding relationships (or having only one) and of desire for such relationships;
    (i) marked insensitivity to prevailing social norms and conventions.

Excludes:
    * Asperger's syndrome
    * delusional disorder
    * schizoid disorder of childhood
    * schizophrenia
    * schizotypal disorder
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

INTp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post

(c) limited capacity to express either warm, tender feelings or anger towards others;
    (e) little interest in having sexual experiences with another person (taking into account age);
    (h) lack of close friends or confiding relationships (or having only one) and of desire for such relationships;
    Is this reliable as an indicator?

Quote Originally Posted by snegledmaca View Post
    Is this reliable as an indicator?
    Probably if it's done by professional. If you just think you pass over 3, then probably not. Maybe worth checking though if you think you score over 3, however it's mostly considered incurable.
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

INTp

Creepy-bg

I have all of those symptoms

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat View Post
    I have all of those symptoms

INTp

Creepy-bg

There's a project on youtube that shows the behaviours of different kinds of personality disorders, here's the one for schizoid:

INTp

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I have at least four of those...I really doubt I'm schizoid though. It really isn't my kind of personality disorder.

Creepy-bg

There's a project on youtube that shows the behaviours of different kinds of personality disorders, here's the one for schizoid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVBOr...eature=related
    why did I hear a tardis materializing at the end?

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Phaedrus is still full of shit, and clueless as ever on this topic. The diagnostic criteria of schizoid is that you don't have Asperger's.

Excludes:
    * Asperger's syndrome
    * delusional disorder
    * schizoid disorder of childhood
    * schizophrenia
    * schizotypal disorder
    o no.
    INTp
    sx/sp

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The criteria of warlord are correct although they are from that older book (damn still don't know the name), in DSM4 the criteria are somewhat different.

Anyhow, those criteria aren't reliable as a test. It's not subtile enough.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    The criteria in DSMIV are somewhat different then those from the older book (if forgot the name) in which is stated that daydreaming is an important criteria, which is not a typical ISTP thing.
    Exactly. That's why INTp fits much better than ISTp.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Phaedrus is still full of shit, and clueless as ever on this topic.
    Totally incorrect. I probably know more about this than everyone else on this forum.

The diagnostic criteria of schizoid is that you don't have Asperger's.
    Yes, but that is irrelevant and also the wrong approach. When you compare those two conditions, you realize that they are most likely the same phenomenon, but SPD might be a subtype of Asperger. For example Chrisopher Gillberg and Sula Wolff agree with me on this.

Yes, but that is irrelevant and also the wrong approach. When you compare those two conditions, you realize that they are most likely the same phenomenon, but SPD might be a subtype of Asperger.
    Yes, but SPD does not take into account problems with nonverbal communication, linguistic abnormalities, oddities in regards to sensory perception, and odd and/or narrow behaviors and/or interests. Similarly, Asperger Syndrome does not necessarily entail that one must be entirely aloof and disinterested in social interaction, even if many express this, since there still are people with Asperger's who express a distinct interest in socializing and fitting in.
    Classical socionics: (), ILI-Ni
    Dual-type theory: INTp-ENTp

5w6 sp/sx
    MBTI: INTJ

Totally incorrect. I probably know more about this than everyone else on this forum.

Yes, but that is irrelevant and also the wrong approach. When you compare those two conditions, you realize that they are most likely the same phenomenon, but SPD might be a subtype of Asperger. For example Chrisopher Gillberg and Sula Wolff agree with me on this.
    We've been through this so many times already. You are completely clueless on this matter. And Gillberg is still a joke in the medical community, who forges his research. Maybe you finally should forget everything that Gillberg has written, and start reading books by people who actually know about the subject, since you are so obsessed about it.

INTp

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iconoclast IX View Post
    Yes, but SPD does not take into account problems with nonverbal communication, linguistic abnormalities, oddities in regards to sensory perception, and odd and/or narrow behaviors and/or interests.
    You are right that one possible difference between Schizoid Personality Disorder and Asperger could be that the former might not have problems with nonverbal communication. But that aspect is not sufficiently investigated. Some years ago Schizoid Personality Disorder and Schizotypal Personality Disorder were not separated; both conditions were called "Schizoid". Ernst Kretschmer talked about the "Hyperesthetic" schizoids (with schizotypal traits) and the "Anesthetic" schizoids (with schizoid traits), and at least in this mixed group of "schizoids" we find linguistic abnormalities, odditities in regards to sensory perception, and odd and/or narrow behaviours and/or interests. It is also clear that a typical person with Asperger is more similar to a person with Schizoid Personality Disorder than to a person with Schizotypal Personality Disorder.

A classical study on the difference(s) between SPD and Asperger is Digby Tantam's article "Lifelong eccentricity and social isolation II: Asperger's syndrome or schizoid personality disorder?" in British Journal of Psychiatry 153 pp. 783-91.

Quote Originally Posted by Iconoclast IX View Post
    Similarly, Asperger Syndrome does not necessarily entail that one must be entirely aloof and disinterested in social interaction, even if many express this, since there still are people with Asperger's who express a distinct interest in socializing and fitting in.
    Correct. Asperger includes more variations, which is one reason I said that Schizoid is probably a subgroup of Asperger. Schizoid Personality Disorder is closer to "classical" Asperger, and for example people that are diagnosed with both Asperger and ADHD (and/or other conditions as well) are quite often rather different from typical schizoids.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We've been through this so many times already. You are completely clueless on this matter. And Gillberg is still a joke in the medical community, who forges his research. Maybe you finally should forget everything that Gillberg has written, and start reading books by people who actually know about the subject, since you are so obsessed about it.
    You are misinformed. Gillberg is one of the leading experts on Asperger and other autism spectrum disorders. His research has contributed significantly to our understanding of these phenomena, and he is often cited by other scientists. A simple search on the Internet should be enough to convince the skeptics.

You are misinformed. Gillberg is one of the leading experts on Asperger and other autism spectrum disorders. His research has contributed significantly to our understanding of these phenomena, and he is often cited by other scientists. A simple search on the Internet should be enough to convince the skeptics.
    Simple search on Internet shows that he's a fraud. And he is not leading expert on the field. Those who wrote that diagnostic list are the experts on the field, they didn't write the "excludes" part there just for fun and giggles. Those who really are considered to be the leading experts on the field, have very different idea about Asperger's than you do. Maybe you should start reading what they write instead of Gillberg. And have some literary criticism this time, and perhaps rely on more source than one.

The reason why there's no connection is very simple: Asperger's have damaged brains. Schizoids brains are physiologically normal. You can't have a sore thumb, if you are born without arms. Everyone who has cough doesn't have lung cancer. Although people with lung cancer and TB both cough, there's no connection between those two diseases. Get it?

If you knew so much as you boisterously claim, you should at least know the basics. But whenever you talk about Asperger's you continously make basic mistakes. Maybe there are people that actually do know more than you, like me

So stop being an absolutist moron, and try to learn something for a change.

You put your theory out. Here's my theory: You have Asperger's, and that's why you are so obsessed about it. But ever considered that maybe condition might make it difficult for you to apply the stuff you have memorized to actual reality.

INTp

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Simple search on Internet shows that he's a fraud.
    Then you must be an idiot. How else shall we explain your incompetence when it comes to simple understanding of basic facts?

And he is not leading expert on the field. Those who wrote that diagnostic list are the experts on the field, they didn't write the "excludes" part there just for fun and giggles.
    I really hate having superfluous discussions with idiots, but since you insist on spreading totally false information, I feel obliged to correct you so that the non-idiots will not get the wrong ideas about this.

More than one list of diagnostic criteria have been in use during the years, and they can often complement each other. Gillberg has suggested a list of his own, and that list is usually included when other experts try to explain what Asperger's Syndrome is. You can find Gillberg's list in for example Tony Attwood's classical work Asperger's Syndrome: A Guide for Parents and Professionals. (I haven't yet read his new book The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome, so I don't know for sure if you will find it there, but my guess is that you will.)

Those who really are considered to be the leading experts on the field, have very different idea about Asperger's than you do. Maybe you should start reading what they write instead of Gillberg. And have some literary criticism this time, and perhaps rely on more source than one.
    I have read some 20-30 books on Asperger and quite a lot of articles. I have also read some books on personality disorders, including the main psychiatric manuals and Kretschmer's studies from the first decades of the last century -- and of course also as many articles I have been able to find.

The reason why there's no connection is very simple: Asperger's have damaged brains. Schizoids brains are physiologically normal.
    First of all, most people with Asperger have no more damaged brains than for example homosexuals. You are born with the condition; it is not a disease, but you have a brain that functions slightly differently from what is considered to be a "normal" brain. You are better at some things and worse at others.

And we don't know that schizoid brains are physiologically "normal". That would be so unlikely that we can probably dismiss it as impossible. Every trait of behaviour and attitude has a correlation with a brain structure, so the schizoids cannot really have "normal" brains.

If you knew so much as you boisterously claim, you should at least know the basics. But whenever you talk about Asperger's you continously make basic mistakes. Maybe there are people that actually do know more than you, like me
    You have demonstrated very clearly that the little you know about Asperger is incorrect. And everything I have said about the condition is correct so far. I certainly know the basics, and I know the rest of it too -- in much more depth than you do.

So stop being an absolutist moron, and try to learn something for a change.
    Exactly what you should do here. Start reading about the subject.

Then you must be an idiot. How else shall we explain your incompetence when it comes to simple understanding of basic facts?

I really hate having superfluous discussions with idiots, but since you insist on spreading totally false information, I feel obliged to correct you so that the non-idiots will not get the wrong ideas about this.

More than one list of diagnostic criteria have been in use during the years, and they can often complement each other. Gillberg has suggested a list of his own, and that list is usually included when other experts try to explain what Asperger's Syndrome is. You can find Gillberg's list in for example Tony Attwood's classical work Asperger's Syndrome: A Guide for Parents and Professionals. (I haven't yet read his new book The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome, so I don't know for sure if you will find it there, but my guess is that you will.)

I have read some 20-30 books on Asperger and quite a lot of articles. I have also read some books on personality disorders, including the main psychiatric manuals and Kretschmer's studies from the first decades of the last century -- and of course also as many articles I have been able to find.

First of all, most people with Asperger have no more damaged brains than for example homosexuals. You are born with the condition; it is not a disease, but you have a brain that functions slightly differently from what is considered to be a "normal" brain. You are better at some things and worse at others.

And we don't know that schizoid brains are physiologically "normal". That would be so unlikely that we can probably dismiss it as impossible. Every trait of behaviour and attitude has a correlation with a brain structure, so the schizoids cannot really have "normal" brains.

You have demonstrated very clearly that the little you know about Asperger is incorrect. And everything I have said about the condition is correct so far. I certainly know the basics, and I know the rest of it too -- in much more depth than you do.

Exactly what you should do here. Start reading about the subject.
    LOL

You managed to address/counter none of the points I made. Instead you just proved why you fail to understand.

Just because you state that you are correct, and I'm incorrect, does not make it so. The problem is that you are never able to prove or show, why I'm wrong. While I can show why you are. That's the difference of actually being wrong and right, get it?

Because you have read 20-30 books doesn't mean that you actually understand any of it. It just makes you arrogant enough to believe that you do.

Isn't it rather pointless to keep re-iterating Gillberg? A list that has been accepted by the general medical community is probably more reliable than a list proposed by someone who conducts research that has been scrutinized of being unscientific, by numerous people. For example by Per-Anders Rydelius Professor of Child Psychiatry at the Karolinska Institute and others.

With that rant about Asperger's brain you only showed how you simply can't get a point. Calling it "different" is just politically correct bullshit, and beside the point.

And we don't know that schizoid brains are physiologically "normal"
    We (this excludes you apparently) know it the same exact way, as we know that AS brains are "different" (as you like to call them).

The point is: everything isn't connected to AS. Despite your world revolving around Asperger's Syndrome. One of the reasons why you are wrong, is that you are unable to distance yourself from it, and therefore seeing things from an objective angle.

INTp

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just because you state that you are correct, and I'm incorrect, does not make it so.
    No, but in this case it is a fact. If you think that I am wrong, you think that the experts on Asperger are wrong, because they say the same things as I say. I only explain the basics that you can read about everywhere. It is incomprehensible that you can misinterpret the sources to that extent.

Because you have read 20-30 books doesn't mean that you actually understand any of it. It just makes you arrogant enough to believe that you do.
    I can see that you don't understand. You only happen to believe that I am wrong, but you can't see it because you haven't read nearly enough about this subject -- a fact that you have yourself proven by what you say about Asperger. There is no point in discussing this with you, since you refuse to read the basic sources of information.

The point is: everything isn't connected to AS.
    How stupid are you, really? How can you make such a totally irrelevant comment in a thread about SPD?

No, but in this case it is a fact. If you think that I am wrong, you think that the experts on Asperger are wrong, because they say the same things as I say. I only explain the basics that you can read about everywhere. It is incomprehensible that you can misinterpret the sources to that extent.

I can see that you don't understand. You only happen to believe that I am wrong, but you can't see it because you haven't read nearly enough about this subject -- a fact that you have yourself proven by what you say about Asperger. There is no point in discussing this with you, since you refuse to read the basic sources of information.
    I agree with the experts. "My experts" just happen to be highly regarded in the scientific and medical community, from highly valued medical schools & universities. Not people who forge research results, brake the scientific and medical research standards, and are convicted of misuse of office. Like "your experts". That's the difference.

Just because you state that you are correct, and I'm incorrect, does not make it so. The problem is that you are never able to prove or show, why I'm wrong. While I can show why you are. That's the difference of actually being wrong and right

GET IT? Or do I have to repeat this endlessly?

The point is: everything isn't connected to AS.
    How stupid are you, really? How can you make such a totally irrelevant comment in a thread about SPD?
    It's you who started to talk about Asperger's in a thread about SPD. Not me.
    Last edited by Warlord; 03-09-2008 at 06:16 PM.

INTp

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just because you state that you are correct, and I'm incorrect, does not make it so. The problem is that you are never able to prove or show, why I'm wrong. While I can show why you are. That's the difference of actually being wrong and right

GET IT? Or do I have to repeat this endlessly?
    You have to repeat it endlessly.

It's you who started to talk about Asperger's in a thread about SPD. Not me.
    Yes, I did. And there was a reason for it. The reason was that SPD and Asperger are very similar phenomena, and many experts are inclined to believe that they might in fact be the same condition, or at least one of them being a sub-condition of the other.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVBOr...eature=related
    Bullcrap. There's nothing abnormal in that guy's behavior. (Despite their attempts to present it that way.)

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All the emotional coldness, limited emotional expressiveness, ignorance etc. bullshit is typical Fe PoLR behavior.

Yes, I did. And there was a reason for it. The reason was that SPD and Asperger are very similar phenomena, and many experts are inclined to believe that they might in fact be the same condition, or at least one of them being a sub-condition of the other.
    And the overall medical community disargrees with this opinion of these "many experts" that you speak of, for the simple facts I mentioned earlier. Saying "many experts" isn't a proof of anything btw.

The main expert you mention is someone who is higly criticized, forges research results, brakes the scientific and medical research standards, and is convicted of misuse of office. Someone like that has very low credibility.

Yet you claim as if this opinion is undeniable fact, only because you think it's so. And that opinion is motivated by your wish to see that kind of connection and Gillberg-worship. It has absolutely no base in anything factual. The fact is that it's in opposition of the view of the medical community.

You don't have to start to talk about Asperger's syndrome at every possible chance you get. That is "totally irrelevant and stupid".

INTp

Bullcrap. There's nothing abnormal in that guy's behavior. (Despite their attempts to present it that way.)
    All the emotional coldness, limited emotional expressiveness, ignorance etc. bullshit is typical Fe PoLR behavior.
    Yeah that basically answers your original question. It's just matter of opinion where the line is drawn, or if it's always just normal behaviour.
    Last edited by Warlord; 03-09-2008 at 10:40 PM.

INTp

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, they certainly attempt to present it that way, it almost seems as if the guy never has learned how to talk.

Schizoid personality disorder is probably the least problematic disorder of all personality disorders. BTW That's my opinion, I don't know of any experts to back me up :-)

Creepy-bg

the entire focus of that video seemed to be on his not being interested in the girl. maybe he just thought she was a fatty?

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Winterpark
    Interesting. I was sort of thinking that as I watched it... UNTIL the end where the girl walks away and he's looking after her. If he truly wanted to be alone and without human companionship, I don't think he would have watched her leave with a sort of sad look on his face before returning to his drawing. I got the impression that he wants to form connections with others but does not know how to. It seemed that it wasn't necessarily that he didn't want her there, but that it was so hard for him to figure out what to say/do etc. around her that it was easier for him if he was alone... having someone else around him and not knowing what to do seemed to overwhelm him greatly. In my mind at least, a big sign that one actually could have a psychological "disorder" is that their difficulty either severely debilitates/limits or hurts them... It causes a deep pain because it affects their ability to do something (like interact with others) to the extent that they can't cope and are then forced to retreat from even trying. Most people can find a way to cope, even at the things they are very bad at or feel very vulnerable with. It might hurt when they fail, but they work on it and try again... that's coping. I think that his behavior seemed a little too unable to cope to just be Fe PoLR... this is assuming though that this is how he behaves in general around everyone all the time.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat View Post
    the entire focus of that video seemed to be on his not being interested in the girl. maybe he just thought she was a fatty?
    Hahaha

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you are worried you are a schitzo you should see a doctor. I remember there was this time I was really stressed out and people told me they were worried I had it, so I did go see a doctor and was tested.

I'm certified sane woot!

We can all act a little wierd sometimes. When I'm under stress I withdrawl and escape sometimes from my own problems by thinking about other other more complex ones. When I'm in this kind of state, I am sure I appear quite odd but its just we all handle things differently. I think the important part to remember is keep up social contact. There is this part of me that knows to completely cut myself off from people during this time is very bad.
    Polly
    ENTP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast