Thread: A trend I've noticed

TIM
    SLE
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Default A trend I've noticed

I've been observing the people I know IRL when it comes to sociability, and I have noticed a general pattern. Independent of type (SEE, LII, etc.), one's subtype tends to have the greatest effect on how gregarious the person is. In these people I've observed, those who have extroverted subtypes act more outgoing, and the opposite for introverted subtypes. Whether it's a creative or base subtype doesn't seem to have much of an effect, though.

For example:

My brother is LII, Ne subtype. He is always hanging out with his group of friends, and I have to fight him for the car constantly because of this.

My mom is ESI, Se subtype, and she always tells me that I don't hang out with people often enough. She also talks a whole lot more than I do.

My dad is SLE, Ti subtype. My mom told me that he's an "introvert" in the traditional MBTI sense, which wouldn't work out well in Socionics.

I'm SLE, Ti subtype too. My mom also told me that I'm an introvert, just like how she did with my dad. When I go out, I generally prefer to do things by myself because I like to think about stuff while I'm doing things.

Pretty much all my friends whom I've typed with confidence also fall into this general pattern. Granted, I'm not saying that it's a be-all and end-all typing method, but I definately find it interesting and useful.

I've noticed that the orientation of your base function doesn't seem to matter as much, despite commonly-held belief that it does. I'm wondering if other people here have noticed such a thing IRL, or not. Thanks for any input.
    , Se-sub
    8w8-3w8-7w8 sx/sx

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Herzy View Post
    Independent of type (SEE, LII, etc.), one's subtype tends to have the greatest effect on how gregarious the person is.
    Do you mean : outgoing-social-adapting, or outgoing-intimate-expanding ?

Quote Originally Posted by Herzy
    I'm SLE, Ti subtype too. My mom also told me that I'm an introvert, just like how she did with my dad. When I go out, I generally prefer to do things by myself because I like to think about stuff while I'm doing things.
    Then you're basically an introvert extrotim.

TIM
    SLE
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by machintruc View Post
    Do you mean : outgoing-social-adapting, or outgoing-intimate-expanding ?
    I don't know what you mean by those.

Then you're basically an introvert extrotim.
    Okay.
    , Se-sub
    8w8-3w8-7w8 sx/sx

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in short, no; this is not something i've observed in particular nor is this something i'd expect. i'm sure you can think of enough people that don't tend fit this rule themselves. i don't consider subtypes to be hugely important, but i can think of a number of people who i would rather arbitrarily classify as pertaining to one subtype or another who i wouldn't say really do this at all. they may accentuate behaviors relating to their subtype function, but that doesn't make their overall patterns of behavior or lifestyle particularly different.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Herzy View Post
    I don't know what you mean by those.
    Social : extrinsically outgoing. seeks to be part of others. conformistic.

Intimate : intrinsically outgoing. seeks to monopolise attention of others. non-conformistic.

Like Enneagram's Social and Intimate variants or Model Phi's N0 and N+.

TIM
    ILE-Ti
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last edited by Suomea; 09-27-2008 at 06:34 PM.
    Suomea

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah i've noticed this as well actually.

prolly the most extraverted-seeming types would be those that are extraverted in the leading function and have that subtype also. the most introverted-seeming would be those with introversion in the leading function and subtype, with a continuum of possibilities in between.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm.. I'm not sure what I think of this tbh. I'll usually go out with friends if invited although I don't really go out otherwise (apart from seeing my Dad on Sunday evenings, but I don't think that really counts). I dunno, I think I've always been like that. I was going to say that I've become more sociable with age, but thinking about it I think that was just down to the people I knew at the time. I dunno. Please don't kill me.
    ILI (Indescribable Lovemaking Inc.)
    5w4 so/sx

"IP temperament! Because today's concerns are tomorrow's indifferences!"

Lord Fnorgle's Domain - A slowly growing collection of music, poetry and literature.
    Stickam music performances