Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Conclusions about Foreground/Background

Background functions, I assert, are observations. Foreground functions are inferences. The background of your psyche is what's going on around you; the foreground is what you're going to do about it. You observe your background, and you reach conclusions about it with your foreground.

In your background you observe two kinds of things happening: good things (those which you and those close to you stand to benefit from) and bad things. (which are such because they are disadvantageous to you.) We tend to think of the advantageous things -- when we reach a majoritarian agreement on them -- as good, and the disadvantageous observations as indicative of evil. This forms the moral background for our relationship to the world, and we take combative or exploitive stances depending on what we see. That which is problematic/disadvantageous, we seek to solve (or confront it if a solution is unavailable; that which is advantageous, we seek to exploit.

(this is why duality is so effective: it is very easy is exploit your dual, and for their benefit. Notice that I mean exploit from a systemic vantagepoint; I do not mean to imply that we deliberately take advantage of that which is advantageous to us at the advantage's detriment.
    Last edited by tcaudilllg; 02-28-2008 at 06:38 AM.

Creepy-Cyclops

Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg View Post
    Background functions, I assert, are observations. Foreground functions are inferences.
    Not socionic functions then. Why the word function?
    The background of your psyche is what's going on around you; the foreground is what you're going to do about it. You observe your background, and you reach conclusions about it with your foreground.
    What about things going on in the mind that is not around me. I can formulate an idea and draw an action plan, which does not necessarily come from my background.
    In your background you observe two kinds of things happening: good things (those which you and those close to you stand to benefit from) and bad things. (which are such because they are disadvantageous to you.)
    Most of the things I observe are indifferent things: It makes no difference to me if the man on the tube wears a hat or not, or what colour it is, or the colour of the sandwich box, or if I notice there's a sale on in a store that no one I know would shop in as I pass the window.
    We tend to think of the advantageous things -- when we reach a majoritarian agreement on them -- as good, and the disadvantageous observations as indicative of evil. This forms the moral background for our relationship to the world, and we take combative or exploitive stances depending on what we see. That which is problematic/disadvantageous, we seek to solve (or confront it if a solution is unavailable; that which is advantageous, we seek to exploit.
    No, you are assuming that I am always out to get something. I think it is a good thing that Mrs X gave birth to her third child, but in what way am I going to exploit this. Seriously, dude.
    (this is why duality is so effective: it is very easy is exploit your dual, and for their benefit. Notice that I mean exploit from a systemic vantagepoint; I do not mean to imply that we deliberately take advantage of that which is advantageous to us at the advantage's detriment.
    I don't see what indifferent things has to do with duality.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Not socionic functions then. Why the word function?

What about things going on in the mind that is not around me. I can formulate an idea and draw an action plan, which does not necessarily come from my background.

Most of the things I observe are indifferent things: It makes no difference to me if the man on the tube wears a hat or not, or what colour it is, or the colour of the sandwich box, or if I notice there's a sale on in a store that no one I know would shop in as I pass the window.

No, you are assuming that I am always out to get something. I think it is a good thing that Mrs X gave birth to her third child, but in what way am I going to exploit this. Seriously, dude.

I don't see what indifferent things has to do with duality.
    I'm using Machintruc's terminology for model-B functions.

You are right, you can't exploit Mrs. X's childbirth, which is why you won't give it a second thought. It's neither exploitable nor a problem, therefore it is practically irrelevant, except in as much as you might want to use it to cheer up someone around you. (in which case it's an accessory to problemsolving.)

But you might also regard her childbirth as a problem under certain circumstances, like for example, if you are the heir apparent and Mrs. X is a monarch of some sort. Then it becomes a problem for you of dynastic succession.

It all depends on the situation.