Thread: INFjmaybe?

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default INFj....maybe?

Hello all,

I'm new here, and fairly new to Socionics. In the Myers-Briggs scheme of things (something I've studied a lot) I'm an INFJ. I know that Socionics is a whole different system, so I'm trying to figure out where I fit there.

I have read several articles and type descriptions, and EII and IEI seem the closest, but I can't decide between those two! I know that one is and the other is , and that in Myers-Briggs terminology I would be an "Introverted Intuitive," but do those terms mean the same thing in both systems? Could I be an MB INFJ and a Socionics INFj? Or would it make me INFp? (And then there's that quadra thing....it would be Beta or Delta, right? So much to learn!)

If it helps, I am known as a very serious person, and others generally think I am quite cold when they first meet me. I do warm up substantially when I get to know someone. Even in lively social situations I remain the quiet one, if a little more relaxed than normal.

So...I'd love to hear what you all think!

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps you can tell us a little bit more about yourself? Maybe talk a little about how you get along with others - both people you like and people who you don't like, and why it is that you either get along with them or don't?

Also, that's an interesting name you have there. Not necessarily related to your type but it could be - have you read the book? Do you identify with the character? If yes, how so?

And welcome to the forum.
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Minde View Post
    Perhaps you can tell us a little bit more about yourself? Maybe talk a little about how you get along with others - both people you like and people who you don't like, and why it is that you either get along with them or don't?

Also, that's an interesting name you have there. Not necessarily related to your type but it could be - have you read the book? Do you identify with the character? If yes, how so?

And welcome to the forum.

Let's see...I get along particularly well with people who aren't too bitter, pushy, and caustic (though a little sarcasm is just fine!), and with whom I can have real conversations: About politics or events or religion, and everything in between. I can't really say what makes me like a person: I just know when I do. In others, I am often drawn to a certain spark of liveliness that I don't often see in myself.

As for problems: I hate it when people become too familiar too quickly. I have a new co-worker whom I have only known for a few weeks. She's friendly enough, but she now thinks that we're soul mates and that she can share anything with me, including very personal stuff. That gets rather uncomfortable. I'm also not fond of people who constantly hit you over the head with their loud, blunt, not-well-thought-out opinions.

As for my screen name, Jane Eyre is my favorite book of all time. She was someone who was considered, from early childhood, a worthless throwaway, but in spite of everything and everyone, she believed that she had worth, and that she deserved happiness. And she found someone else who thought so, too. I find her very inspiring.

Also...thank you! :-)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

INFj
    LSI

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSpirit View Post
    INFj
    Yeah i agree with the general concensus here. Much of what you said points towards INFj > INFp. How you said you can feel serious (thats quite common). You talked about facts and politics, seems Te seeking to me.

So 12-year-old me piped up: What about a name with a meaning behind it, like one from a book?
    Thats basically exactly what my INFj friend would say. So im pretty convinced at present. If you are, welcome to Delta Quadra! I am you're mirror, an ENFp. Im sorry but theres a $250 entry fee payable to me though. I will also accept brownies as payment
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

another vote for INFj > INFp

and welcome to the forum!

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm guessing INFj > INFp at this point too.

I think old people are cool too. I used to write for a newspaper, and we were doing articles about this old old hospital, and I was asked to go to a nursing home and interview this woman who had been a nurse once upon a time but was like 105 years old, and she was SO COOL that I started going by regularly to talk to her. Good times.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dee View Post
    which would you feel more comfortable with:

real feeling, laughter, emotionally affecting others
    laws, reason, analysis, logical connections, order
    past, future, predictions, dryly or emotionally imagining actions
    roughness, assertiveness, competition, power play, forcefulness, leadership, acclaim, expensiveness

or

work, numbers, facts, common knowledge, earning money, actions
    ideas, brainstorming, potential
    relaxation, physical processes, sensations, health, attractiveness, food
    ethical evaluations, morality, relationships, attitudes, proper behavior

?

The second one...but only slightly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tell us more anecdotes about yourself. Try not to think to function based just tell us freely about whatever.

(BTW leaning towards INFj myself)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cudcat View Post
    Tell us more anecdotes about yourself. Try not to think to function based just tell us freely about whatever.

(BTW leaning towards INFj myself)

Let's see.....anecdotes.....anecdotes.....I'll tell one positive and one negative one. When I was an exchange student in Berlin, I became friendly with an elderly lady who had survived World War II and the entire East German regime. We met when I visited her church, and I sometimes helped her tidy up after coffee hour. When I asked her if I could interview her for a history paper I was writing, she invited me over for lunch and showed me the meticulous history of her church and of the country that she had been writing over the years in little notebooks. She was a treasure.

This next one is hardly unique, but I've always felt painfully out of step with my own family. I remember once, at a family gathering when I was about 12 or so, they were all discussing names to give to my aunt's new baby. Suggestions to name him after this-or-that relative flew all around, but my aunt was determined to pick a name just because she liked the sound of it. Why on earth, she wondered aloud, would anyone choose a name for any other reason? So 12-year-old me piped up: What about a name with a meaning behind it, like one from a book?

And she gave me a mighty, disgusted sneer that is burned into my brain to this day.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ dee: I doubt that will make anything clearer for J_E at this point. Have patience!

@ minde: Yes, I think the username could be pretty telling as well.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jane_Eyre View Post
    I have read several articles and type descriptions, and EII and IEI seem the closest, but I can't decide between those two! I know that one is and the other is , and that in Myers-Briggs terminology I would be an "Introverted Intuitive," but do those terms mean the same thing in both systems?
    No, they don't.

Could I be an MB INFJ and a Socionics INFj?
    Yes, that's what you should expect.

Or would it make me INFp?
    No, is not the dominant Ni of an INFJ and there is no reason to believe that you are an INFp. In fact, if you really know for sure that you are an INFJ, you also know that you are an INFj (EII). How can you know that? It's rather simple, actually, because if you know that you are an INFJ, you know that you are a judging (= rational in Socionics) type that is introverted and have intuition and feeling (= ethics in Socionics) in your ego block (= dominant and auxiliary function in MBTT). And there is only one type in Socionics that is consistent with that, and that type is the EII. You cannot be a judging/rational type in one system and a perceiving/irrational type in the other.

In the end it comes down to this question: Do you really know that you are an INFJ in MBTT? The criteria by which you determine your type in MBTT are just as valid in Socionics, so you either you already know your type in Socionics, or you don't know your type in MBTT. Because if you are not an EII in Socionics, you are not an INFJ in MBTT.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, Jane_E, I'm inclined to view you as more INFj. Also, you might have noticed but some people's ideas should be taken with a grain of salt here. Not to name names or point fingers (I'm no expert myself), but if you study up on this stuff and listen around I'm sure you'll figure things out quite nicely.

For example, Phaedrus has this schtick about MBTI types being equivalent to socionics types. Maybe that's an oversimplification of what he's thinking, but you'd have to ask him. Basically, take your time, learn a few new things (which, if you are INFj, shouldn't be too demanding), don't take anything for granted, speak, and listen. I think you'll do just fine. Peace!
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend