Thread: Attention Alphas

Creepy-female

Default .

Last edited by female; 07-10-2008 at 04:23 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It depends on the situation... in some parts of life I'll throw some humor into everything I do... There are times to be professional and courteous to others though... I'd like to think I'm pretty good at knowing when to kick in the humor to calm people down and set the right mood for things, whether serious or not.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    Do you guys have a fundamental inability to take yourself and/or other people seriously?
    No.

What do you mean by pretentious?
    LII
    that is what i was getting at. if there is an inescapable appropriation that is required in the act of understanding, this brings into question the validity of socionics in describing what is real, and hence stubborn contradictions that continue to plague me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel like people that are serious all the time aren't acknowledging the complexity or irony of life.

This is really cute/ interesting. This actually helps me to understand an important person in my life who is ISFP.

Thank you.
    EII 4w5

so/sx (?)

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like to think I take everything seriously, even the jokes. But maybe I don't know the meaning of the word.

Hey, reality isn't important. Let's just have fun and make sense.

Oh, I can do seriousness and intensity with zero humor, though. Comes of being a logical type. I miss my dual-seeking function, though.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NO. You are not allowed to make sense... EVER!

And this, too, shall pass away.

ILI

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find that I usually take things a little too seriously, OR not seriously enough. Very few things fall in between for me.

For example, I make sarcastic little comments all the time. It's also a pet peeve of mine when people stress WAY too much over stupid, insignificant little things (although I don't ever let anyone know I think that, of course; I know that the importance of anything is pretty proportionate to the value you, personally, place on it. I guess the pet peeve is more about people personally placing way too much value on insignificant things).

But at the same time, I worry a lot about the efficiency of what I'm doing now and how it's going to affect me later. I also takes my internal self very seriously; I worry about whether I'm a good person, whether what I'm doing is consistent with what I believe, etc.
    ISFp <3

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Christy B View Post
    This is really cute/ interesting. This actually helps me to understand an important person in my life who is ISFP.

Thank you.
    i actually think this is true of all Ti and Fe types, but a little more apparent in creative Ti or creative Fe types. I definitely feel this way myself, but I tend to think more things in life are important in the sense that i'd get offended more than a creative fe or ti.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heh, that's totally me. It annoys some people who take themselves too seriously. Actually, I just had one of my friends tell me that I'm a really weird person because I "think everything in life is funny." :-| I've noticed this quality in a lot of other Alpha irrationals too.
    delta nf (?) ... 4w5 (?)

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fuck that shit

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can be really goofy at times, and really serious at others , but most of the time I intersperse the goofyness between the seriousness(which is my prime mode of behavior) in order to soften the blows of my comments. This doesn't really come across on here(mainly because I don't really bother to soften anything over the internet unless I care about the people involved, and even when I do "soften" things it comes out in a serious way anyway), but I generally do it when I say something that is to be taken seriously as a joke, and progress onto the serious portion once people have accepted the idea without rejecting it offhand because of the nature of its contents. Yea, I think I do that.
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

TIM
    ILE-Ti
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last edited by Suomea; 09-27-2008 at 05:25 PM.
    Suomea

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Do you guys have a fundamental inability to take yourself and/or other people seriously?

I do, and it's becoming a little unsettling. I can't respond to someone, an idea, words, situations, etc. without adding good-natured sarcasm. If I deem someone/something too intense, I will make fun of them. It's almost compulsary. It just springs out.

Part of me feels like seriousness and intensity with zero humor is pretentious. I feel like people that are serious all the time aren't acknowledging the complexity or irony of life.

So, what do you guys think? Seriously. No, SERIOUSLY.
    If you take things completely seriously, it means you are inevitably going to cut some people (if not many) off - though those who take things completely seriously may actually prefer this, if it keeps them in a certain clique of people. I cannot understand such behaviour. I don't see how people can be born serious, and remain like this for the rest of their lives - people should see that happy and sad can be swapped round, even if this doesn't make any sense.

It's good to be happy, so they say, but being happy might make a sad person even sadder, if they believe you to be inconsiderate or indifferent to their sadness. Therefore, you should be sad all the time, just in case. But if everyone was sad all the time, it would make people even more sad, which would be bad. So, the optimum strategy is to be neither happy or sad, but to be exactly somewhere in between as calculated by some scientists. However, such an approach may be taken things too seriously. I've never really thought about it in great detail, to be honest! I wouldn't want to come across as some sort of nutjob or something! Hahaha! Ha.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do, and it's becoming a little unsettling. I can't respond to someone, an idea, words, situations, etc. without adding good-natured sarcasm. If I deem someone/something too intense, I will make fun of them. It's almost compulsary. It just springs out.

Part of me feels like seriousness and intensity with zero humor is pretentious. I feel like people that are serious all the time aren't acknowledging the complexity or irony of life.

I'm deeply offended at this viewpoint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.

I pity your souls

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elro View Post
    I'm deeply offended at this viewpoint.
    What, did you accidentally take it seriously?

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Me too. And it's especially annoying when I have professors who are that way :\

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is kinda cool, I have these feelings relatively also. At the worst possible moment, I'm saying "nice!" or "sweet.", even when the situation is not nice or sweet at all. It's a combination of lightening the mood and just seeing how ridiculous the entire thing is, which means I can joke about it? No, actually, I'm wrong there for sure. It shouldn't be joked about.
    D-SEI 9w1

This is me and my dual being scientific together

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I'm probably very serious about the things I need to be about but really dismissive of the things I'm not (I really dislike intense emotion though). I tend to use humour a lot to lighten up a heavy situation. Sometimes its self-defacing though rather than sarcastic to anyone else. But I do it in a way it doesn't sound like self-pity but just an ability to laugh at yourself.

I've been told I have kind of an Ellen Degeneris kind of sense of humour.
    Polly
    ENTP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alpha humor- Death, Racism, and Poverty. A Dateline Investigative Report.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never understood why people think that alphas are permanently like this. I take both myself and other people seriously often and can brood about relations and worry about them quite alot - usually in relation to how I come across to other people. It's true that alphas can have a good time easily, appreciate a laugh, can enjoy talking about a whole bunch of nonsense etc -
    and I am indeed prone to being a smartarse from time to time. But its painting a pretty broad stroke to portray alphas as a group of clowns or such the like. Just look at the varied descriptions of each personality type within the group rather than the overall group description and you'll get an idea of what I mean. In particular, LIIs such as myself are arguably the member of the Alpha group which least matches this particular image of alphas, whilst yourself as SEI arguably matches the 'non-serious' image the most. Perhaps you're really describing yourself more as an SEI than an alpha here. Anyway before someone flames me I'll admit I'm a socionics novice - just wanted to put in my two cents
    Last edited by akeaneau; 02-24-2008 at 09:02 AM.
    LII

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I see people like that, I generally treat them like kids.
    It is hard for me to, go figure, take them seriously.

You can act that way, sure, but don't expect people to really trust you with important things. That perhaps is not really a problem for you, but I am saying it anyways.

I don't mind a positive mood, but when there is stuff to do, it is time to work. I guess that is why there are people like you, so as to make up for people like me.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im thinking more of a situation where someone died, or like you got dumped by your gf. that ain't about work. Actually, in this sense the "alpha" attitude would be pro work. "there's things more important in life than your vanity, my friend." is how i see it

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by akeaneau View Post
    I've never understood why people think that alphas are permanently like this. I take both myself and other people seriously often and can brood about relations and worry about them quite alot - usually in relation to how I come across to other people. It's true that alphas can have a good time easily, appreciate a laugh, can enjoy talking about a whole bunch of nonsense etc -
    and I am indeed prone to being a smartarse from time to time. But its painting a pretty broad stroke to portray alphas as a group of clowns or such the like. Just look at the varied descriptions of each personality type within the group rather than the overall group description and you'll get an idea of what I mean. In particular, LIIs such as myself are arguably the member of the Alpha group which least matches this particular image of alphas, whilst yourself as SEI arguably matches the 'non-serious' image the most. Perhaps you're really describing yourself more as an SEI than an alpha here. Anyway before someone flames me I'll admit I'm a socionics novice - just wanted to put in my two cents
    I agree with you. One of my best friends is LII and she's much more serious in general than my SEI dad and friend and my ESE husband.
    IEI-Fe 4w3